The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I loved what Schenn brought to the team these past 2 seasons. Originally I was very much on board with trying to bring him back again this summer. However, unless we let Bear go I would much prefer to go go after someone like Mayfield using the money and resources it would take to sign Schenn than bring Schenn back. Schenn would be fantastic as a 3rd pair RD but I would rather look for an upgrade to pair with Hughes and move Bear to the 3rd pair than bring in Schenn and use Bear with Hughes.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I loved what Schenn brought to the team these past 2 seasons. Originally I was very much on board with trying to bring him back again this summer. However, unless we let Bear go I would much prefer to go go after someone like Mayfield using the money and resources it would take to sign Schenn than bring Schenn back. Schenn would be fantastic as a 3rd pair RD but I would rather look for an upgrade to pair with Hughes and move Bear to the 3rd pair than bring in Schenn and use Bear with Hughes.

Bear is Toni Stretcher light. 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Bear is Toni Stretcher light. 

I don't know if he's Stecher light, I think they're almost identical. Good #5 defensemen that can play spot duty in the top 4. Great to have on your 3rd pair, just not sold on being a solution for the top 4 (and especially as a Hughes partner for more than spot duty).

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Schenn a absolute standout game for the Laffers last night. 11 hits! TO got a steal from Allvin but that was the market. I agree with your take. Canucks have to transition to the d-side group that will take them to serious playoff contention. I don't think/hope that Allvin is finished on acquistions/trades for the d-core. IMHO the TOI on the 3rd pairing has to go for development and assessment of players who might be with the contending roster in 2-3 years. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Doubt Schenn comes back to Canucks. Leafs will sign him after these playoffs. 

Schenn is pricing himself out of the Vancouver market.  

Allvin is looking carefully at Bear and Dermott as well.  Since bottom pair D can be had for less than $1M why pay more?

Toronto doesn't make it to the next round without Schenn, he was an absolute beast out there and you know he's massive for that team's psyche. He must be one of the most liked, respected NHLers arguably ever, by his team-mates and even by rivals (you see his interactions with Maroon). I know he's an old guy, a rental and doesn't score much, but a 3rd rounder is a slap in the face for him, I know you'd never get more but the way he plays he's worth a 1st. Does so much for any team and throw out "unsung hero" claims, he was all over the ice in game 6, one of that pathetic team's MVPs. 

You just know Tkachuk vs Schenn is going to be fun to watch in front of the net.

• 2 weeks later...