The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think it's more of a general mentoring that he brings as opposed to just his defensive partner. He sets the bar for how to train, how to approach the game, stepping up for teammates, etc. That goes beyond just his defensive partner but also extends to guys like Petey, and the Podkolzin's, Hoglander's, Aman's, etc. I would also argue that Hronek is still young enough that having a solid vet leader on the team is still helpful for him too. 

I hear you - I guess my concern is that if you look up/down the line-up we currently have, and management says we need to bring in a 34yo (he'll be 34 in Nov) depth defenceman to set the training/accountability/intensity level for the club - well, then you've got bigger problems on your roster if you get my drift......and I get it - it never hurts to have too many stand-up guys in 'the room', but isn't that what management told everyone Miller was going to do when they gave him a career-defining contract recently - lead this club in the right direction? 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you - I guess my concern is that if you look up/down the line-up we currently have, and management says we need to bring in a 34yo (he'll be 34 in Nov) depth defenceman to set the training/accountability/intensity level for the club - well, then you've got bigger problems on your roster if you get my drift......and I get it - it never hurts to have too many stand-up guys in 'the room', but isn't that what management told everyone Miller was going to do when they gave him a career-defining contract recently - lead this club in the right direction? 

I definitely see Schenn as more of a #6 fading to a 6/7 guy going forward who's a nice to have. I think if he's a major component of an on-ice core at this point that team probably isn't going very far. Unfortunately I also have plenty of concerns about Miller's attitude on a day-to-day basis (it was easy to see guys like Petey and Kuzmenko were getting fed-up with his antics at times last year) and having someone else with authority like Schenn helps keep him pointed in the right direction. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

Good for Schenner 2.75 Mil a year for 3 years.....wish we could have afforded him. Will be hard to play against

He was the best defensive D man the Leafs had on their blueline in the playoffs. But, they sign Reaves, when D is their issue. Nashville is going up with Trotz at the helm.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

He was the best defensive D man the Leafs had on their blueline in the playoffs. But, they sign Reaves, when D is their issue. Nashville is going up with Trotz at the helm.

When I see how they lost their last playoff series this past season, adding a guy like Reaves ain't going to help solve their problems.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...