The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

In summary, he needs to come back on a one year deal.  Hope he is looking for that and not converting this effort into a longer deal.  That would end up being a fantastic situation for the Canucks.  I think you have your Hughes pairing until he moves up the D pairing lines which may actually happen faster.  I think Schenn makes Tanev redundant if we can get a top pairing RHD.  Still have this feeling that Ristolainen fits that bill if we can send some decent assets (Some combo of Hutton, Lind, DiPietro, 2nds etc.  Just to confirm not all of this just a couple elements) their way:

Edler Ristolainen

Tryamkin (Find a way) Stecher

Hughes Schenn

Joulevi Biega/Someone/Anyone

Also gives you three legit LHD that could potentially move Edler down the lineup.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

GIVE THE MAN HIS CONTRACT.

Luke is having a comeback and his play of late might just save his career. When you get knocked down, it takes a true warrior to comeback like he has. From being demoted to the A after being s highly touted first rounder. This guys got the character and the toughness we all wanted out of Guddy. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m on the bandwagon too.... his current play is exactly what we need. We need more of this mentality in general on our team. Schenn doesn’t need to fight people to police them, he just needs to get in,their face and wrestle them to the ice. We need more pack mentality like this. Like Burrows without the biting kind of aggressive engagement.

...but I am hesitant to expect him to continue this level of play on a contract year consistently next season. Definitely would not do more than a year contract at this point. If he proves himself over the course of next season, then give him a 2 year Biega type contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He needs to work harder than ever this summer to get in shape and get the most foot speed possible, but he seems like a great add.  Attitude in the room and on the ice is good.  Not as good of a skater as Guddy but much less of and adventure with the puck and uses his body more.

Ive watched Schenn play closely the last few games now, it strikes me how simple he plays the game in comparison to Guddy. Schenn for the most part keeps it quite simple, easy first passes, being physical, if the play isn't there, puck is off the boards or passing the puck along the boards instead of risky cross ice bombs that Gudbranson likes to do.

Im just ranting now, might be a bit messy, but I was just reading a few things on Schenn on his days in Toronto, LA (im trying to summarize it), scouting reports. I remember Schenn being one of the Leafs better defencemen when he first broke in but just like typical Toronto, the fanbase got to him, seems like they wanted more, and so did LA, and Phoenix, everybody wanted Schenn to take a leap to be this game changing defenceman but it didn't work. The inital scouting of Schenn seems to be stay at home, great first pass Dman with almost no offensive accumen but very physical. McGuire even said that he didn't have a point on WJC and he was the best defenceman from tip to tail in the tournament. Maybe the reason he is doing so well here is management isn't really looking at him as a guy that still HAS potential or upside, and we are just expecting a physical, competent defenceman which he truly was in the first place. I didn't know this but Tyler Myers was his D-partner in Kelowna , could Myers be a fit here? Schenn is playing well and he deserves a 1 way deal at the very least

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Luke is playing exactly the way you'd like to see a guy in his situation play - like it's essentially training camp for him and he's on the bubble with no plan b. 

He's certainly earned another shot next season imo - a few other guys with contracts already locked up could learn a lot from his attitude/work ethic if you ask me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

He needs to work harder than ever this summer to get in shape and get the most foot speed possible, but he seems like a great add.  Attitude in the room and on the ice is good.  Not as good of a skater as Guddy but much less of and adventure with the puck and uses his body more.

if Guddy is a better skater than why does Schenn seem to find a way to paste guys.   I was a fan of Guddy when he came here, but I was very disappointed at his lack of impactful hitting and general physicality around the net.  Schenn is the only D we have that seems to use lumber on guys in front of the net - he is almost a throw back D in that he doesn't let guys hang around - that is how you play D.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Ive watched Schenn play closely the last few games now, it strikes me how simple he plays the game in comparison to Guddy. Schenn for the most part keeps it quite simple, easy first passes, being physical, if the play isn't there, puck is off the boards or passing the puck along the boards instead of risky cross ice bombs that Gudbranson likes to do.

Im just ranting now, might be a bit messy, but I was just reading a few things on Schenn on his days in Toronto, LA (im trying to summarize it), scouting reports. I remember Schenn being one of the Leafs better defencemen when he first broke in but just like typical Toronto, the fanbase got to him, seems like they wanted more, and so did LA, and Phoenix, everybody wanted Schenn to take a leap to be this game changing defenceman but it didn't work. The inital scouting of Schenn seems to be stay at home, great first pass Dman with almost no offensive accumen but very physical. McGuire even said that he didn't have a point on WJC and he was the best defenceman from tip to tail in the tournament. Maybe the reason he is doing so well here is management isn't really looking at him as a guy that still HAS potential or upside, and we are just expecting a physical, competent defenceman which he truly was in the first place. I didn't know this but Tyler Myers was his D-partner in Kelowna , could Myers be a fit here? Schenn is playing well and he deserves a 1 way deal at the very least

Watching Schenn he makes you remember that we have sorely missed a D who would move guys out of the way with some serious lumber and physicality.  Nobody on this team even comes close to being that aggressive and impactful in front of our net.   Schenn has to date been a massive upgrade on Gud in that Schenn was brought in to replace what Gud was supposed to be.  This is a great story for the nucks.  Pearson also looks like a nice add as well. And of course Leivo was a steal.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I want to see schenn finish the season strong, continue the way he's been playing. Doesn't have to set record setting hit numbers every game.

But if he continues to play:

Simple hockey (Like he has)

Physical Presence

Protects our Youngins

Calming Presence

Crease Clearing

Hughes Partner with success

Not sure what his analytic numbers are at, but he has passed the eye test with flying colours.

I continue to be impressed with him and each game keep asking myself, really? Schenn?

How can we not give him a contract? Especially if Hughes likes playing with him.

If you were Hughes wouldn't you want to play with a guy who had your back, made simple plays, preferred the puck to be on your stick, and cleared the crease?

If he continues to play like this hard not to imagine him suiting up for us at least next season.

Edler-Tanev (While he's healthy)

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Biega

Sautner-Chatfield

I would be fine running that next year.

my thoughts exactly.. 

Schenn is like the perfect big brother for Quinn. and since it appears that Quinn should be on the team next year, so should Schenn.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

He lives in the Okanagan in the off season.  Likely to make his home here when he retires.  Would make great coaching material for a Jr. Hockey program (Rockets).  So he would most likely feel fortunate to get another year with the Canucks at under a Million Dollars.  He has been consistent the games he has played with the Canucks.  Do it.

• Like 1