The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Offer Schenn a 2 year with an option to sign for 3 and/or be traded to a Cup Contender if we aren’t there yet.. I’d go 2m per.

Im really impressed by Schenn,  it’s the best hockey I’ve seen him play.. some times you gotta wait for the ripe ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

is it just me or was Schenn looking tickled to be doing that 2nd intermission interview? I think he's fully pumped to be handed an opportunity to resurrect a career in the bigs.. I expect him to be a new man coming to main camp.. kinda cool to see

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Offer Schenn a 2 year with an option to sign for 3 and/or be traded to a Cup Contender if we aren’t there yet.. I’d go 2m per.

Im really impressed by Schenn,  it’s the best hockey I’ve seen him play.. some times you gotta wait for the ripe ones.

I agree, he's shown more than enough to earn himself another contract with the Canucks. He brings much added truculence while playing a steady, simple, defensive game. The added connection to the Hughes family (spending time with Quinn's dad Jim Hughes during his time as the Director of Player Development with the Leafs) makes it a no-brainer to re-sign him. 

A 2 year $2M per season deal is more than fair. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, even if he’s just a #7/8 guy for us, he brings value. He has history with the Hughes family, so you know he’s gonna look after Quinn as much as he can. He’s already shown that he’ll protect our young stars. And they know it, as you can see from Boeser’s quote. The kids know “Uncle Luke” has got their backs. Plus the whole story of his comeback is one of perseverance, believing in himself, but also recognizing that he had to change up his game to stay relevant, and just being grateful to have a chance to continue to play in league. Have to imagine he’s great in the room, and just having a guy like that around will help with the culture and leadership on a young team.

honestly I didn't think Schenn would be able to keep up paired with Hughes, but the folks that were suggesting it last week were correct, it doesn't look too bad. I don't know how long it would last into next season, but we could begin that way at least. 

Good redemption story and a low risk signing, so sure why the heck not? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I kind of like the idea of signing him to a 1 year "show me" deal. Maybe 1 year, 1 million. If he can't keep up the pace he's having at the end of this season next season, gives the Canucks flexibility to trade him/waive him. I don't like the idea of a 2 year deal because we could fall into a Del Zotto/Gagner/Schaller trap where you realize there's multiple years on a deal that clearly sucks within two months of the season starting.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, even if he’s just a #7/8 guy for us, he brings value. He has history with the Hughes family, so you know he’s gonna look after Quinn as much as he can. He’s already shown that he’ll protect our young stars. And they know it, as you can see from Boeser’s quote. The kids know “Uncle Luke” has got their backs. Plus the whole story of his comeback is one of perseverance, believing in himself, but also recognizing that he had to change up his game to stay relevant, and just being grateful to have a chance to continue to play in league. Have to imagine he’s great in the room, and just having a guy like that around will help with the culture and leadership on a young team.

I haven't really noticed it before but teams really have eased up on Pettersson a little bit since Schenn came on board. I like the idea of bringing him in especially when you know he is going to have a huge chip on his shoulders.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree, he's shown more than enough to earn himself another contract with the Canucks. He brings much added truculence while playing a steady, simple, defensive game. The added connection to the Hughes family (spending time with Quinn's dad Jim Hughes during his time as the Director of Player Development with the Leafs) makes it a no-brainer to re-sign him. 

A 2 year $2M per season deal is more than fair. 

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I kind of like the idea of signing him to a 1 year "show me" deal. Maybe 1 year, 1 million. If he can't keep up the pace he's having at the end of this season next season, gives the Canucks flexibility to trade him/waive him. I don't like the idea of a 2 year deal because we could fall into a Del Zotto/Gagner/Schaller trap where you realize there's multiple years on a deal that clearly sucks within two months of the season starting.

If he becomes a UFA again just before the Expansion draft , being off the books when the expansion draft happens should give us the opportunity to resign him after the expansion team makes their plucks and picks.

Maybe this scenario works if he wanted to stay, I don’t think we could protect him?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Schenn looked VERY happy to be here in his interview last night..  You can tell he is taking this opportunity to heart and giving it all.  

29 bah!   He just grown into his adult body, he is the strongest he will ever be,.   And he plays like it.

plays like the Diduck, Jovo, Rome’s we have seen, determined grit his every shift.

Kypreos commented on Schenns skating as being “not the best”...  I see nothing wrong with the way he skates, he tracks with anyone, reads his angles well.

Lets give Luke a new home.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Schenn looked VERY happy to be here in his interview last night..  You can tell he is taking this opportunity to heart and giving it all.  

29 bah!   He just grown into his adult body, he is the strongest he will ever be,.   And he plays like it.

plays like the Diduck, Jovo, Rome’s we have seen, determined grit his every shift.

Kypreos commented on Schenns skating as being “not the best”...  I see nothing wrong with the way he skates, he tracks with anyone, reads his angles well.

Lets give Luke a new home.

Sounds good Sam but hard decisions have to be made as to who stays and who goes. Vets on the d-core are the starting point as whoever is kept takes TOI away from younger, developing players. Those younger players will be the group that leads the team into serious CUP contention. We can keep more vets and have better results in the short term but we will need a more developed youth corp in 3 years. Like I said tough decisions. The beauty of this problem is that JB has some talent he can make hockey trades with. You gotta love it. With some certainty I would move Tanev and keep Edler. I'm away and cannot comment on Schenn as i have not seen him play. The Maui shift is almost done so I will catch the last few games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/30/2019 at 2:07 AM, filthycanuck said:

Get him to play WITH Tryamkin. That would be a lot of beef on the blue line if it ever happens.

While that would certainly rough up our competition, unfortunately I think it would be a step back for our blueline scoring, and we need to move forward in that regard.  Quinn can't do it all on his own and we need to make room somewhere for one more scorer I think.

I love Schenn's physicality and his ability to stick up for teammates and punish people in front of the net.  If this is the Schenn we would get if we re-signed him then I am all for it. I think he is a far better option than Guddy was for us.

With that said, I will say again that I see him more as a 7/8 guy.  Thats ok.... It means he DOES still get to play as we almpst never have a healthy team.  It also means we have a seasoned guy who can play a playoff style game and I think that depth will be invaluable... especially come playoff time.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 5:21 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d love to see him come back on a cheap one year deal. And I expect he’d be happy to sign. He was on his way to being done in the NHL, and the Canucks have given his career new life. He’s also worked hard on his game and earned it.

What has surprised me the most is his escapability in the defensive zone. He’s not a guy who’s known for his mobility, and his skating has limits, but he’s really cagey and seems to cope well with pressure. Does a good job stick handling his way out of pressure, using his body to shield the puck, and make little fakes and turns to shake off a check. I’ve seen him several times recieve a pass with a forechecker closing in, and he makes a shrewd little move to shake them, and the quickly puts an outlet right on the tape of a teammate. The kind of stuff Guddy really struggled with while here and would end up icing the puck or serving up pizzas, but Luke seems to have a knack for getting out of danger, maintaining possession, and then passing the puck to support the breakout. I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

The physical stuff I expected. Maybe not the 10+ hits a night. But I knew he was tough as nails and would keep opponents honest. Also knew he had a pretty decent first pass and surprisingly good exits. But didn’t expect him to be so calm when hurried and to make these kind of savvy plays from inside the D zone and under pressure.

Signing for anything less than Guddy is a good deal. And I suspect it won’t be anything near Guddy’s $4.000 MIL/yr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks interested in re-signing Schenn

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning called defenceman Luke Schenn a "pleasant surprise" on Sunday and said team is interested in retaining the pending unrestricted free agent this off-season.

“That’s a fair comment and for sure it [an extension] is something we’re going to look into,” Benning told the Vancouver Province. “We’ve been real happy with him and he’s done everything we’ve asked.

“He has been physical and excellent with our young players. We’re going to talk about this at the end of the year. He’s been a pleasant surprise for us.”

The Canucks acquired the 29-year-old defenceman in January from the Anaheim Ducks, sending Micheal Del Zotto back the other way. Schenn had spent the majority of the season with AHL's San Diego Gulls at the time of his trade and started his time with the Canucks playing with the AHL's Utica Comets.

After seven games in Utica, Schenn was called up by the Canucks and has posted two assists in 15 games since.

“He deserves to play and our young guys can learn a lot because he understands the pressure of being a young defenceman in the league,” Canucks head coach Travis Green said of Schenn.

“You can learn a lot from a guy like that by sticking up for each other and playing hard. And it’s not just that – he’s made some nice plays with the puck.”

A veteran of 731 career games, Schenn has played for five NHL teams since the 2015-16 season. 

Source: https://www.tsn.ca/canucks-interested-in-re-signing-schenn-1.1283112

• Like 1

ya id sign this guy 1-2 yrs  1.25-1.6

per. love that hes gritty will stand up for petey quinn and the rest of the youngsters  plus hes much better statistically than guddy at a fraction of price  perfect 3rd pairing guy   now lets get rid of sutter, pouliot tavev and biega  there time has come and gone 

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Guys, he was out of the NHL what? A month ago?  He's not getting a 2 year deal after just a handful of games, nor should he.  1 year deal and probably won't be worth more than 1 mil, 1.5 at the very most.

Two years is not out of the question, he would be a tempting dangle to an expansion team.