The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gudbranson NOW officially The WORST PLAYER in the League

RU SERIOUS

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

After tonight's game with the Islanders, it is now official that Gudbranson is the worst defenseman in the league ranked #300 out of 300 and worst player in the league ranked #855 out of 855 with his 'stratospheric' and downright embarrassing plus/minus rating of Minus -27.

Perhaps it's time to wrap him up with some of the other endlessly injured, lazy and deadwood/senior citizens players on the team (Erikson, Suter, Pooalot, Virtanen and Edler)  and make trade before trade deadline !  I can't imagine another hopeless season watching him ruin games.  TIME FOR CHANGE!  The season is almost over and here we are ranked 26th - AGAIN !

Something has to change - we've been waiting for eight long years !

7 hours ago, Qwags said:

Hold up, Virt AND Edler? Everyone else sounds about right.

RU SERIOUS? Is probably the response that the OP wanted to get, not "Hold up". It's his username after all.

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Have you seen Pouliot play over the course of the season?  He's by far, IMHO, the worst defenceman this team has ever had in the lineup

Marc-Andre Gragnani ? Claire Alexander ? ( both a ton of fun to watch ! ) I'm sure it's a long list !

Yeah I d say we have two of the worst Gud and poop

poop Is totally worthless 

Most of vans d is awful and slow. 

Stecher is the lone bright spot,not sure what resigning these guys achieves other than to keep this team bad. 

We should be cutting ties to elder Tanev gud poo and moving on this group hasn’t been able to get it done in the past not sure why anyone believes that’ll change. 

I have no problem with Guddy, he can be the worst D man in the world for all I care, the one thing he does do that is not on the stats sheet is that he helps in making sure other teams don't take too many liberties with our elite players. So until Benning can bring in someone with a bigger snarl than Guddy, I'd say keep him. Right now with the injury with Edler, he is needed to step up in positions that are easy for him. Get the injuries in order and bring him down to a third pairing and he will be ok. In the meantime, cheer him on. What's the worst that can happen this year anyways? We get Jack?

9 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

After tonight's game with the Islanders, it is now official that Gudbranson is the worst defenseman in the league ranked #300 out of 300 and worst player in the league ranked #855 out of 855 with his 'stratospheric' and downright embarrassing plus/minus rating of Minus -27.

Perhaps it's time to wrap him up with some of the other endlessly injured, lazy and deadwood/senior citizens players on the team (Erikson, Suter, Pooalot, Virtanen and Edler)  and make trade before trade deadline !  I can't imagine another hopeless season watching him ruin games.  TIME FOR CHANGE!  The season is almost over and here we are ranked 26th - AGAIN !

Something has to change - we've been waiting for eight long years !

It's going to be hard for people to take you seriously when you post complete bs and try to pass it off as a fact.  Good luck with the next thread, thankfully with the ignore list I won't have to read it.

I have not been a big fan of Guddy and have often been very critical of him and JB in his handling of him but feel this thread goes a little too far.

This team was going through a bit of an identity crisis when they obtained him.

This was JB trying to change to a grinding team like Boston as that was really the only model that could work with the twins where they were in their careers and the general overall lack of talent.  This was a mistake and a huge one that has cost this rebuild a number of years and expended a number of assets.

I am not going to defend his play, he is a dinosaur of an era that passed.  He was drafted at a time that he made more sense as a player but has never fulfilled the potential that his draft position would suggest and the game has changed since then.

JB should have traded him last season when he got an offer.

Now, if he goes to a team that plays a more structured defensive game he may do a lot better.  There are also some teams that could really use his toughness, TO could use a tough right side d-man and a lot of size.  Problem is they are fairly data oriented and his data is fairly stomach churning (though I am sure @oldnews may try to correct me here).

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have not been a big fan of Guddy and have often been very critical of him and JB in his handling of him but feel this thread goes a little too far.

This team was going through a bit of an identity crisis when they obtained him.

This was JB trying to change to a grinding team like Boston as that was really the only model that could work with the twins where they were in their careers and the general overall lack of talent.  This was a mistake and a huge one that has cost this rebuild a number of years and expended a number of assets.

I am not going to defend his play, he is a dinosaur of an era that passed.  He was drafted at a time that he made more sense as a player but has never fulfilled the potential that his draft position would suggest and the game has changed since then.

JB should have traded him last season when he got an offer.

Now, if he goes to a team that plays a more structured defensive game he may do a lot better.  There are also some teams that could really use his toughness, TO could use a tough right side d-man and a lot of size.  Problem is they are fairly data oriented and his data is fairly stomach churning (though I am sure @oldnews may try to correct me here).

The whole score sucks but cdc points the finger at gudbranson

you have your edler and Tanev that combine for 120 games per year and the rest of the score is bottom pairing.

abysmal nhl level d.

I was optimistic on Gudbranson but he is just not Top4D material.

Also thinks too highly of himself. Remember that shot of him trying to give Tryamkin some "advice"on the bench? Tryamkin just kind of ignored him and had a look on his face that said "Get out of my face, Pylon"

That said, I could see value in him as 5/6 come playoff time.

I hate to say it, but he's pretty bad. Stats aside, you can see it by just watching him play. He rarely moves the puck up ice cleanly. He usually just flips it to center ice and makes the forwards battle for it.

When he does try to pass it, it usually hits an opposing player and stays in the zone.

On top of that, his pivoting is pretty bad. He gets turned around a lot and isn't fast enough to adjust.

It's a shame, because I had high hopes for him when we got him. He just hadn't fit in with the system this team plays.

7 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I wish we had a guy like Willie Mitchell working with the defence he’s not so far removed from being an NHL player so he would have a very good idea of what it takes to be an NHL d-man.

When we picked up Gudbranson my hope was he’d be our new Mitchell/Murzyn type guy, a very solid defensive defenseman.  At this point his biggest value to the team is as a deterrent, someone who makes anyone pay heavily for cheap shots or running our goalie.  That’s hard to put a value on, but if you want to the top enforcers we’re making over 2 million per year fifteen years ago and the cap has more than doubled since then, so he’s pretty much right where he should be...my problem is he doesn’t do it enough or play with enough of a chip on his shoulder to really be taken seriously enough by the opposition.

He’s entering his prime, the clock is ticking for sure and unless his intangibles or actual play go up, he’s going to end up in the AHL.  If Hughes, OJ make the team who do we cut?  I hate to lose his toughness as without him we are pussy cats (sorry Rousell you intimidate nobody) but that can be fixed easily in the bottom nine with a guy like McEwen, or somebody even more eager to stay on the team.  The clock is ticking.

10 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Who’s was Guddy paired up with? Get him a better partner and he’s fine.

But. But. Sautner is the future. (Isn't he?)

Pair him with Edler when he returns.  They were a pretty effective pairing end of last season.

And tell Edler that if he wants a 4 year contract he has 15 games to turn Guddy to no worse than a -10 for the season (sign him now to 2 years with an automatic season's end 2 year extension if Guddy achieves that milestone)

When Tanev returns, give him Pouliot or Sautner (or any other Utica callup) to mentor 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

When we picked up Gudbranson my hope was he’d be our new Mitchell/Murzyn type guy, a very solid defensive defenseman.  At this point his biggest value to the team is as a deterrent, someone who makes anyone pay heavily for cheap shots or running our goalie.  That’s hard to put a value on, but if you want to the top enforcers we’re making over 2 million per year fifteen years ago and the cap has more than doubled since then, so he’s pretty much right where he should be...my problem is he doesn’t do it enough or play with enough of a chip on his shoulder to really be taken seriously enough by the opposition.

He’s entering his prime, the clock is ticking for sure and unless his intangibles or actual play go up, he’s going to end up in the AHL.  If Hughes, OJ make the team who do we cut?  I hate to lose his toughness as without him we are pussy cats (sorry Rousell you intimidate nobody) but that can be fixed easily in the bottom nine with a guy like McEwen, or somebody even more eager to stay on the team.  The clock is ticking.

That right there nailed it!

I like him but like you said I wish he played with more of a chip on his shoulder, maybe because of the new suspensions and hits no one knows what's legal or not when they make contact now and just try to avoid contact because they're worried about being suspended. Obviously that wasn't an issue back in the day, but it might be factoring in now on some players, whatever the reasoning is I agree though he needs to play more physical that's his job, he's not no offensive defenseman, he reminds me of Jovo but at this point Jovo was better because he played with that chip on his shoulder.

No he's not. 

Trade him away and see what happens to our young core. 

If I were playing against Canucks, I would love to take a run at them without Guddy in the lineup. 

He's an element we need in the lineup.

It's just that we lost two of our Top 4 D due to injury right now and that Guddy is forced into a situation he's not known to be adept at. 

It's not Guddy costing us games right now. It's more like lack of finishes and not hitting the net that's costing us. 

Eight years?   Didn't think he'd been here that long.  Oh right....

We need an element of toughness so, despite rankings that are relevant, only to a certain degree.  I want a guy we can tap on the shoulder and say "hey, see what he did?".

We weren't expected to do anything this year, remember?  Now we're looking at results anyhow?

Trades can't just be "made"....there have to be two sides both willing to trade.  That's an issue at times.

People push the panic button here but this year we're in the initial stages of working our way up from the bottom.  Patience.  I trust those in place to know what "needs" to be done/not.

I know a lot of people have been vocal about Gudbranson's bad play this year but we all see it I'm not sure it needs a thread. That being said why haven't we tried sitting EG for a game or 2, something to get the fire going again. 

Another thing people are saying is that we'll gut run and beat up without him, I just don't think that is true. He was injured for so long the past few years and the team was in tact, also teams like Tampa don't have protectors just good hockey players. 

I'm also going to point out again that pouliot actually looks a lot better since moving away from playing with Guddy. 

Archived