The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's our best defenceman without Edler or Tanev?

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Who would you pick...  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

True.  A better point than "Stecher is a plug" - which wasn't really worth much of a response imo.

Disagree.  Others are quick to point out how Biega is our worst dman yet his numbers are pretty comparable to Stecher. The only difference is that Biega is a little older and there is that bias towards him because of that. I can't see Stecher making much improvement on his career 5 NHL goals in 3 seasons.

9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Disagree.  Others are quick to point out how Biega is our worst dman yet his numbers are pretty comparable to Stecher. The only difference is that Biega is a little older and there is that bias towards him because of that. I can't see Stecher making much improvement on his career 5 NHL goals in 3 seasons.

I'd never say Biega is our 'worst' defenseman, but he's also not the best, Edler and Tanev aside.

I can't see the future so I'm not going to pretend to know how many goals Stecher will score, but that's merely one of many factors he'll be assessed on regardless.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, EdgarM said:

Chara had 6 goals in 231 games over his first 4 seasons. His 5th season he scored 10 goals in 75 games.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, oldnews said:

I'd never say Biega is our 'worst' defenseman, but he's also not the best, Edler and Tanev aside.

I can't see the future so I'm not going to pretend to know how many goals Stecher will score, but that's merely one of many factors he'll be assessed on regardless.

7 hours ago, Baggins said:

Chara had 6 goals in 231 games over his first 4 seasons. His 5th season he scored 10 goals in 75 games.

Seriously comparing Chara(6'9" 250lbs) to Stecher(5'10" 186lbs)? Really?

If you are a mere 5'10", then you better be scoring more then 1 or 2 goals a year and have a better career plus/minus then -12.

I'm saying Stech, but Hutton's in there too.  Fatigue is breaking the team down and they're showing cracks.  It depends how you're measuring "best".  I miss Guddy...do feel he at least had the toughness element covered if and when we needed it.  We have zero now in that department, so teams will take advantage of us in relation to that.  The only "threat" we have is a wild, unpredictable Frenchman who can bring the crazy but is an agitator, not a real "fighter".

Adding in:  I do love Biega's hustle and grit.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm saying Stech, but Hutton's in there too.  Fatigue is breaking the team down and they're showing cracks.  It depends how you're measuring "best".  I miss Guddy...do feel he at least had the toughness element covered if and when we needed it.  We have zero now in that department, so teams will take advantage of us in relation to that.  The only "threat" we have is a wild, unpredictable Frenchman who can bring the crazy but is an agitator, not a real "fighter".

Adding in:  I do love Biega's hustle and grit.

Agree Deb we are seriously lacking toughness. Last night was a perfect example. Kassian was having his way with our guys and McDavid had free reign to skate where ever he wanted. Having Virt on the sidelines definitely doesn't help.

I like Biega because he at least exhibits some sort of creativity from the back end and is as at least entertaining to watch.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:04 PM, Industrious1 said:

I think the value of Gudbranson is more what doesn't happen when he is on the ice more than what he actually adds into the play.

So for whatever that is worth in today's NHL, that is the value he brings.

yea what doesnt happen is the puck staying out of vancouvers net when he is on the ice lmao

Hutton?!? 

No way! Stecher is twice the defenceman. 

Just because Hutton improved on his abysmal 2017-18 doesn’t mean that he’s better then Stecher. 

Archived