The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flyers trade Wayne Simmonds to Predators for Ryan Hartman, conditional 2020 4th-round pick

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

With the Preds out, the pick remains a 4th.  And for all those who continue to be enthralled with Simmonds despite his performance and placement on waivers the past few years (and are likely push for us to sign him in the off-season), he finished with 4 points in 19 games.

I guess it'll depend on the terms of any potential contract. If it's a short term deal, then the worst case if he doesn't get back to his average 50-60 points, then he can provide some toughness/"protection" for our young guys until someone else steps up. Pearson had 15 points in 61 games this past season before we acquired him and he finished the year with 12 in 19. Sometimes players find new life going to a new team that fits their game more.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:48 AM, Hutton Wink said:

With the Preds out, the pick remains a 4th.  And for all those who continue to be enthralled with Simmonds despite his performance and placement on waivers the past few years (and are likely push for us to sign him in the off-season), he finished with 4 points in 19 games.

And yet, he was playing his normal self in Philly. I get not liking a guy, but sometimes a team just turns out not to be a fit for a player and most of those times it's next to impossible to determine if that will be the case before the trade. Obviously he has less production overall than last year, but he wasn't that far off this year when he was in Philly.

And placement on waivers? When was this exactly? I mean, he's played more games per season the past 5 seasons than most of our usually injured lineup.

Also, what you are getting with Simmonds is more than just points, far more than just points even, so just looking at a stats sheet in terms of points doesn't really say much. If a player is coveted by many people, there's generally a reason for it, and one person effectively saying he's overrated doesn't really change that. ;) Nashville is out as a team and it's not going to be because of a single player, let alone a forward.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

He's flopped in a his short stint with the Preds, so that could mean that his price doesn't go astronomically high as is usually the case with this type of player.  

I'd welcome him to the Canucks.  We have about three or four spots open for next year, with Zack MacEwen the only guy coming in (hopefully). 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He's flopped in a his short stint with the Preds, so that could mean that his price doesn't go astronomically high as is usually the case with this type of player.  

I'd welcome him to the Canucks.  We have about three or four spots open for next year, with Zack MacEwen the only guy coming in (hopefully). 

His value might drop a bit from Nashville, but it's also only 19 games, so I guess it's one of those "we'll see" scenariios. If he had a poor overall season than I could totally see his value drop of; however, this is not the case as he was fine in Philly for the most part despite a little less production (the team was struggling overall and a number of their players dipped in production) and evidently one of the most well liked players in that locker room.

Edited by The Lock

On 4/23/2019 at 10:43 AM, RonMexico said:

Doesn't change my opinion that Simmonds would still be a poor signing. Production trending down as he hits 30. Philly did the smart thing by trading him before he further eroded his value. Let's not be the team to sign another blunder.

For 3 or less years, at a cheap reasonable price. I’ll take him over Ferland, who is probably going to get a longer term at a hefty price.

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to Philly.  The guy loved it there and the fans/teammates loved him as well.

Don't see Fletcher wanting him back though.  He wants to play fast and Simmonds has lost a step.