The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Michael Del Zotto to Blues for 2019 6th-round pick

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Still doesn't change the fact that late picks are hit or miss at best. 

No $&!#. They're a 10% success rate. But rebuilding teams with above average scouting should acquire as many as possible.

Those late round picks have better success rate than Benning's awful pro scouting!

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 4

11 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

No $&!#. They're a 10% success rate. But rebuilding teams with above average scouting should acquire as many as possible.

Those late round picks have better success rate than Benning's awful pro scouting!

lol his drafting has been good with benning and his scouts how are you mad or disappointed with his drafting?

edit: 6th round pick for MDZ and traded for a 7th and schenn who looked not terrible this game, im not saying schen will be a regular but still.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

lol his drafting has been good with benning and his scouts how are you mad or disappointed with his drafting?

edit: 6th round pick for MDZ and traded for a 7th and schenn who looked not terrible this game, im not saying schen will be a regular but still.

I don't think you read the post before you blabbered.

Pro scouting under Benning has been a failure. Pro scouting are any players no longer eligible for the draft playing in professional leagues or players already drafted playing in professional leagues.

Amateur scouting has been a success. Amateur scouting are undrafted players eligible for the draft. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, EP Phone Home said:

And we were the team who retained salary and had to take Schenn and settle for a 7th. Hmm odd

On 2/25/2019 at 12:27 PM, Tom Sestito said:

How?! Schenn is a negative value asset who they dumped back to us..

I have a feeling JB wanted Schenn because Canucks lack right handed Dmen in the organization.

At the very least Utica needed a top 4 righty and Schenn had already cleared waivers.

Edited by Baer.
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I don't think you read the post before you blabbered.

Pro scouting under Benning has been a failure. Pro scouting are any players no longer eligible for the draft playing in professional leagues or players already drafted playing in professional leagues.

Amateur scouting has been a success. Amateur scouting are undrafted players eligible for the draft. 

Benning apologist logic:

Drafting is best (only) skill? Trade away draft picks, we don't need as many because we can draft just as well with less picks... or something?

Absolutely baffling how a "drafting guru" trades at a draft pick deficit during a REBUILD. Astonishing.

Had to fill dat age-gap though, really built the foundation for the future.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

What are you even on about... JB got a pick back from Del Zotto.  

Cullen from TSN has broken down draft pick values for years: extremely small advantage from the 6th round to the 7th.  Especially if that’s a lower 6th pick vs a high 7th.  

Youre whining about JB not hanging on to DelZotto for about a 1% better chance at getting a 100 game NHL’r.

If not understanding the gripe makes me a “Benning apologist” I’m curious to see how you’d define yourself.

Not just talking about the MDZ trade, it's about his entire plan/philosophy from day 1. He's never made it a point to accumulate draft picks, any round, in his entire tenure despite us being a rebuilding team during his entire tenure (I think, anyway, not sure what the hell we were doing for his first 2.5 years here).

37 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

What are you even on about... JB got a pick back from Del Zotto.  

Cullen from TSN has broken down draft pick values for years: extremely small advantage from the 6th round to the 7th.  Especially if that’s a lower 6th pick vs a high 7th.  

Youre whining about JB not hanging on to DelZotto for about a 1% better chance at getting a 100 game NHL’r.

If not understanding the gripe makes me a “Benning apologist” I’m curious to see how you’d define yourself.

18 years of 6th and 7th picks by the Canucks. 

Artyom Manukyan* (* denotes too early to tell)

Matthew Thiessen*

Petrus Palmu*

Matthew Brassard*

Jakub Stukel  

Rodrigo Abols

Brett McKenzie

Lukas Jasek*

Tate Olson                 

Kyle Pettit                  

Mackenze Stewart   

Mike Williamson

Miles Liberati

Wesley Myron

Matthew Beattie

Pathrik Westerholm

Henrik Tomernes

Alex Friesen               1 game

Jonathan Iilahti

Sawyer Hannay

Joe Cannata

Steven Anthony 

Matt's Froshaug

Morgan Clark

Taylor Matson

Dan Gendur

Sergei Shirokov    8 games

Juraj Simek

Evan Fuller

Kris Fredeim          3 games

Mario Bliznak        6 games

Julien Ellis 

Chad Brownlee

Francois-Pierre Guenette

Marc-Andre Roy

Ilya Krikunov

18 years.... 18 games

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not just talking about the MDZ trade, it's about his entire plan/philosophy from day 1. He's never made it a point to accumulate draft picks, any round, in his entire tenure despite us being a rebuilding team during his entire tenure (I think, anyway, not sure what the hell we were doing for his first 2.5 years here).

I think you are over valuing draft picks as the golden key to rebuilding (in addition to your dislike for benning).  The toronto maple leafs - often cited as the epic organization to model after by Benning haterz - have picked 36 times since 2015.  How many of those have worked out for them? How many post first round picks have worked out for them? I get it that post first round picks are nice, but im not buying they are a primary prerequisite for a  rebuilding org.

Leafs draft history  showing all of that pick hoarding: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html

Regarding 6th vs 7th round picks - this is an amusing argument for me.  When people gripe about this I often wonder - do these guys know we watch sports for entertainment?  I dont understand the anger, and how some people take it personally.  ...its not like you are losing money at the family business if the manager get a 7th rounder instead of a 6th rounder.

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 3

Picks/prospects transactions starting from the Gudbranson trade / 2016 summer (partial credit to PG Canuck)

Picks/Prospects acquired
Nikolay Goldobin
Jonathan Dahlen / Linus Karlsson

- 2016 5th
- 2017 5th

- 2017 6th

- 2018 6th
- 2019 6th

- 2019 6th

- 2020 7th

Picks/Prospects Traded:
Jordan Subban

Jared McCann (1st round pick that was acquired in the Kesler trade, 2 years removed)

- 2016 2nd

- 2016 4th
- 2017 4th

- 2018 4th

- 2018 6th
- 2020 7th