The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Remember Swe-1 is the NHL of Sweden.

Producing .35 PPG at 19.

Benning's scouting is top notch so I trust him on this.

I don't like the trade because of what I know of the chemistry of Dhalen and Petey but....

A. I trust Benning

B. I trust or scouts and in particular our Swedish scouts and Gradin who would have had a hand in this, we've been quite good at spotting Swedish talent from Ohlund, to Nazzy, to Petey

C. If we moved him after a pretty nice run in the AHL, there must be (as many are saying here, something in his game that JB and team think won't translate well to the NHL, like Shinkaruk).

Trusting JB on this...we shall see how it works out, I know nothing of this guy we got.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he improved a lot over last year, but I'm hesitant to say I like this deal. I'm just gonna have to trust Jimbo with this one since he's proven me wrong countless times before.

Dahlen was looking pretty decent in Utica and has obvious chemistry with Petey. A bit worried how EP will take this news.

Karlsson looks like a decent player in the SHL this year, 17 points in 48 games in his draft+1 year.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more this could be a good deal for us. Dahlen played in Sweden's 2nd league for two years after being drafted whereas Karlsson is already in the SHL immediately after being drafted, which shows a faster progression. I've already changed my mind, I like this deal now.

Karlsson isnt in the SHL, he is in the tier 2 league with his 17 points

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he improved a lot over last year, but I'm hesitant to say I like this deal. I'm just gonna have to trust Jimbo with this one since he's proven me wrong countless times before.

Dahlen was looking pretty decent in Utica and has obvious chemistry with Petey. A bit worried how EP will take this news.

Karlsson looks like a decent player in the SHL this year, 17 points in 48 games in his draft+1 year.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more this could be a good deal for us. Dahlen played in Sweden's 2nd league for two years after being drafted whereas Karlsson is already in the SHL immediately after being drafted, which shows a faster progression. I've already changed my mind, I like this deal now.

I am actually a bit shocked by this trade. I will go and read more about Linus Karlsson now.  Wow.

• -AJ- pinned and featured this topic

Could be a blessing in disguise.

Frees up a contract spot so if the Canucks sign the right College UFA and Linus becomes a player, it could be a win long term.

This has the potential to be a Granlund for Shinkaruk deal, honestly. Or it could go wrong... Hard to say.