The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On 9/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thorough post & quite reasonable argument. I didn't specify above, but in truth I was thinking more in terms of an overall, organization sense(spanning GM's & decades). Like still getting mileage outa' varied assets like the Kesler, Schneider, & (wayyy back to) the original Linden pick.

Feel this is a somewhat stealthy way for a team to potentially maintain competitiveness.

Every organization tries to recycles assets. Arguments about how proficient the Canucks have been could go either way. But something to note. If the Canucks don't resign Markstrom, they'll have effectively ended up with nothing in the Luongo trade except a cap penalty. 

On 9/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Fred65 said:

Stealthy for sure, it stealthed right past me :rolleyes:

I'm not calling Benning a bad GM and there's obviously no evidence as to whether he would have drafted these players, but purely from a historical perspective it's quite interesting to note the players that could have been drafted had Benning kept certain picks instead of dealing them. 

Instead of Garrison becoming Vey. Roland McKeown and Brandon Montour. Both right handed defencemen. If Carolina wasn't stacked on defence than McKeown would have had an opportunity in the NHL. Montour is already an everyday NHL player and interestingly enough he and Boeser both played on the same team in the USHL. Christian Dvorak. A fast winger that can put up points and has been more consistent in the NHL than Virtanen. 

Instead of Bieksa becoming a 2nd that was packed to get Sutter. Dillon Dube and Taylor Raddysh. Both wingers. Dube was arguably Calgary's best playoff performer. Not really saying much since Calgary was terrible overall. Raddysh likely would have gotten a chance in the NHL if Tampa wasn't stacked on forwards. 

Again not criticizing. Just calling attention to possibilities.

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You have to look deeper than that imo. Sure we no longer have any assets left from that trade but it was years ago. Neither does florida. What we did gain was a playoff birth, and in turn invaluable experience for our young core. 

It's like saying we have nothing to show for the trades we made to draft the twins.

I wasn't going for deep and intangible. Just purely trying to make a point about assets in and assets out. I mean come on. The guy I was responding used Linden as an example. 

The Sedins were franchise defining talents. I have nothing but love and respect for them only ever wearing the Canucks jersey. 

Edited by CallAfterLife

• 3 weeks later...

The Allsvenskan back up for a few games now, Linus Karlson has played 2-3 games from what I recall, but has been slotted on RW on the third line.  Kinda off because Karlskoga had him at centre on their second line last season where he exploded for 18 points in 12 games for them.  

Only start of the season and start up since they shutdown briefly due to covid but he is starting off a bit cold.  6 games played and only 1 assist and a -1.  Something to keep an eye on for him.

Hesitant to post this, 'cos its unsubstantiated.  A friend (who can't remember where he heard it or read it, but does follow Swedish and Finnish hockey) said he was playing with a heavily taped right wrist, result of blocking a shot in the first or second game.  Seemed to be badly affecting his shooting.

If correct, then would explain a lot

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, theo5789 said:

Sounds like a Markus Granlund to me. 

16 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

We can only hope!:sadno:

Granlund still played 335 NHL games in his career, that is still pretty decent. When he plays, he can provide little bit of offense and he can kill penalty. His biggest knock and why he no longer is in the NHL is that he isn't tenacious and hungry enough on the puck. He also isn't gritty enough to be a regular bottom 6 (and he was suppose to be a center but he is horrible at the dot). He also doesn't have the production to be a regular top 6 player. Granlund's career was at the cross roads last season, he either has to figure out a way to produce at a top 6 level or he must develop grit and tenacity to be a middle or bottom 6 player and he was neither. If say Granlund plays the way Motte does, he would've still been in the NHL.

Back on toping of Karlsson. For Karlsson to have a successful NHL career, he has to be gritty and difficult to play against. I don't see him as a top 6 forward, I hope he will turn into a solid 3rd/4th liner who is hard to play against, kills penalties and can chip in an odd goal here and there. He has the potential to be that, but he will still need some development time to adjust his game.

11 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Granlund still played 335 NHL games in his career, that is still pretty decent. When he plays, he can provide little bit of offense and he can kill penalty. His biggest knock and why he no longer is in the NHL is that he isn't tenacious and hungry enough on the puck. He also isn't gritty enough to be a regular bottom 6 (and he was suppose to be a center but he is horrible at the dot). He also doesn't have the production to be a regular top 6 player. Granlund's career was at the cross roads last season, he either has to figure out a way to produce at a top 6 level or he must develop grit and tenacity to be a middle or bottom 6 player and he was neither. If say Granlund plays the way Motte does, he would've still been in the NHL.

Back on toping of Karlsson. For Karlsson to have a successful NHL career, he has to be gritty and difficult to play against. I don't see him as a top 6 forward, I hope he will turn into a solid 3rd/4th liner who is hard to play against, kills penalties and can chip in an odd goal here and there. He has the potential to be that, but he will still need some development time to adjust his game.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking on Karlsson, but I was just trying to make a comparable that maybe people here could relate to. I was hopeful for Granlund to be a good utility player that could play in any situation. A more successful version of this type of player that I hope Karlsson could become is Calle Jarnkrok.

• Thanks 1