The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Dahlen looked good in the AHL TIL he got run over a couple of times and fled to the periphery. Then he blamed the coaches for not playing him. Then he goes back to Sweden and prefers playing in the second tier. Another good reason for liking the trade. 

Dahlen plays for Timrå because of his love for the club and not because he likes to take it "easy" in the 2nd tier. I admire him for that and so do most of the hockey world in Sweden. I think in his mind he just prefers to play for a club that he has a bond with rather than riding the bus in the A. I can't blame him for it. Why not be a hometown hero? 

Speaking of which, Linus Karlsson has been a big part of one of the best, if not the best lines in the entire league. He's really progressed over the last few seasons and I have enjoyed his game when I have gotten a chance to see him. Him and his team have a game 7 tonight and if they win that game they will face Dahlens Timrå. A nice little story for someone who happens to be a Canucks fan :)

In terms of upside between the two, I think Linus Karlsson is more likely to carve out a career in the NHL as a bottom sixer. I think Dahlen may come over to NA for another shot at it but his game and skill level does itself better for a league like the KHL. I guess I can compare him to Gaudette. Not skilled enough for a legit top 6 role while not physical or defensively sound enough for a bottom six role.

Saying all this, Linus remains a long-shot to ever play in the NHL. I think he will get offers from SHL teams this summer. If he does well, we might see a 22/23 year old rookie in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Dahlen plays for Timrå because of his love for the club and not because he likes to take it "easy" in the 2nd tier. I admire him for that and so do most of the hockey world in Sweden. I think in his mind he just prefers to play for a club that he has a bond with rather than riding the bus in the A. I can't blame him for it. Why not be a hometown hero? 

Speaking of which, Linus Karlsson has been a big part of one of the best, if not the best lines in the entire league. He's really progressed over the last few seasons and I have enjoyed his game when I have gotten a chance to see him. Him and his team have a game 7 tonight and if they win that game they will face Dahlens Timrå. A nice little story for someone who happens to be a Canucks fan :)

In terms of upside between the two, I think Linus Karlsson is more likely to carve out a career in the NHL as a bottom sixer. I think Dahlen may come over to NA for another shot at it but his game and skill level does itself better for a league like the KHL. I guess I can compare him to Gaudette. Not skilled enough for a legit top 6 role while not physical or defensively sound enough for a bottom six role.

Saying all this, Linus remains a long-shot to ever play in the NHL. I think he will get offers from SHL teams this summer. If he does well, we might see a 22/23 year old rookie in Utica. 

To touch back on dahlen, all fine and dandy doi ng what he thinks is best for himself and tirma, but the AHL is more than a bus ride. It's a stepping stone to the nhl. Alveksten or whatever isnt.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

To touch back on dahlen, all fine and dandy doi ng what he thinks is best for himself and tirma, but the AHL is more than a bus ride. It's a stepping stone to the nhl. Alveksten or whatever isnt.

AHL is a mercenarie station without any heart and soul. 
Local clubs like Timrå or Karlskoga in our second tier has a history.

To play for the club that brought you up feels a lot more than mercenary clubs in AHL.

NHL can talk about history but not AHL. 
AHL must be one of the worst leagues in the world to play in. 
Even if it’s the fourth best. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

In regard to Dahlen, I am speaking from the context of what is good for the Canucks, if Dahlen doesn’t want to be here or be challenged by a higher level of play, then that is his choice, from our perspective much better to have Karlsson.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Impressive, 'character' stat line there. Hope to see him in Utica next year... Maybe even a PTO to finish this one. Wish our crack media would ask these sorts of questions rather than focusing on the click bait soap opera crap.

SHL or AHL either or

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Tell that to Elias Pettersson, Filip Forsberg, William Nylander, Jesper Bratt and Andre Burakovsky among many more Swedish NHL players. Allsvenskan certainly is a great place for young players to develop. The difference between Allsvenskan and the SHL isn't as big as the difference between the AHL and the NHL. 

28 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Tell that to Elias Pettersson, Filip Forsberg, William Nylander, Jesper Bratt and Andre Burakovsky among many more Swedish NHL players. Allsvenskan certainly is a great place for young players to develop. The difference between Allsvenskan and the SHL isn't as big as the difference between the AHL and the NHL. 

The difference between dalhen and those guys is they took their services to another league before the nhl. Something dalhen isnt willing to do.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

The difference between dalhen and those guys is they took their services to another league before the nhl. Something dalhen isnt willing to do.

It’s a little different with the whole relegation/promotion system in Sweden. I’m sure Dahlén is more than willing to play in the SHL. He just wants to do it with Timrå. He was a big part of their last promotion to the SHL, and he’s looking to do it again this year, as they’ve made the Finals and the winner of the Timrå-Björklöven series starting tomorrow (IIRC) will be promoted to the SHL.

I suppose there are two ways to look at it.

On the positive side, he’s shown tremendous loyalty to Timrå, refusing to play anywhere else in Sweden. And he’s chosen a situation where he can play for a competitive team and help them win their way back to the SHL.

On the negative side, he may be a guy who just likes being the big fish in a small pond, and would prefer to stay in his comfort zone, rather than always seek out the very highest level competition.

I lean a little more toward the positive view, just knowing how much Timrå means to Dahlén. 

(Anyway, back to Karlsson, who had a successful season, topped off with a very strong individual performance in the postseason.)

13 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yes sure, except for Filip Forsberg and Jesper Bratt who made the jump from Allsvenskan to the NHL straight away. 

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yes sure, except for Filip Forsberg and Jesper Bratt who made the jump from Allsvenskan to the NHL straight away. 

An exception to the rule. Clearly dahlen could use some AHL conditioning before making the jump to the nhl. 2 nhl clubs thought this... he did not.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:27 AM, DeltaSwede said:

Appreciate your perspective on Dahlen's rationale for playing for Timra.  Dahlen is still young enough that he could develop into a bonafide top six forward in the NHL.  Time will tell.

At the very least, Benning was able to extract some value for Dahlen with the acquisition of Karlsson.

Pettersson, Hoglander, Karlsson (albeit he was a Shark pick), Costmar....looks like the Gradin factor is still alive and well.  Just need Gunnarsson and Persson to pan out, and the Swedish pipeline is in very good shape.

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Appreciate your perspective on Dahlen's rationale for playing for Timra.  Dahlen is still young enough that he could develop into a bonafide top six forward in the NHL.  Time will tell.

At the very least, Benning was able to extract some value for Dahlen with the acquisition of Karlsson.

Pettersson, Hoglander, Karlsson (albeit he was a Shark pick), Costmar....looks like the Gradin factor is still alive and well.  Just need Gunnarsson and Persson to pan out, and the Swedish pipeline is in very good shape.

Is Gradin living back in Sweden. I used to see him often at the Giants games (@ Pac Col ) I know he married a a lady who worked on the Vcr staff. I believe the big boy on campus in Sweden  is Patrik Jonsson. Since 2018

"Patrik Jonsson has been named an Amateur Scout for the Vancouver Canucks of the NHL. Jonsson’s scouting focus will include all of Europe, specifically Sweden, for the Canucks organization."

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

An exception to the rule. Clearly dahlen could use some AHL conditioning before making the jump to the nhl. 2 nhl clubs thought this... he did not.

It feels like we are kinda de-railing the Karlsson talk here, but why in your mind does Dahlen need AHL conditioning now? 

Like you are pointing out, he has already spent time with two different AHL teams and he is a better player today than he was then. It's not like he has become worse by being the star of the 2nd league in Sweden and doing it with a big smile on his face close to home with family and friends. The rule you are saying exists does not exist in my mind. Either you are good enough to play in the NHL or you are not.  

Can playing in the AHL, the development league for the NHL, help players get to that point? certainly. Is it absolutely necessary? certainly not. 

His dad is a former NHLer. I am sure Dahlen knows what's best for his career. 

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

It feels like we are kinda de-railing the Karlsson talk here, but why in your mind does Dahlen need AHL conditioning now? 

Like you are pointing out, he has already spent time with two different AHL teams and he is a better player today than he was then. It's not like he has become worse by being the star of the 2nd league in Sweden and doing it with a big smile on his face close to home with family and friends. The rule you are saying exists does not exist in my mind. Either you are good enough to play in the NHL or you are not.  

Can playing in the AHL, the development league for the NHL, help players get to that point? certainly. Is it absolutely necessary? certainly not. 

His dad is a former NHLer. I am sure Dahlen knows what's best for his career. 

If his career is going to include any impact on the NHL level, he certainly seems to playing the long game.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:03 AM, Timråfan said:

AHL is a mercenarie station without any heart and soul. 
Local clubs like Timrå or Karlskoga in our second tier has a history.

To play for the club that brought you up feels a lot more than mercenary clubs in AHL.

NHL can talk about history but not AHL. 
AHL must be one of the worst leagues in the world to play in. 
Even if it’s the fourth best. 

Nobody blames doctors, lawyers and garbage men from making the best money they can from their professions, so what’s wrong with doing that if you are a hockey player. You gain some kind of honor by not actualizing your potential, and gain some kind of virtue by not being good enough to get paid?

• Vintage 1