The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

Canucks need more C prospects in Utica (right now Carson Focht is the only Canucks AHL player listed as a C on capfriendly though I do know Lukas Jasek plays C as does Kole Lind from time to time). Karlsson fits the bill and he hasn't made any indications that he'd pick the SHL over the AHL... and if the AHL team ends up being in BC, I can see Karlsson signing and playing in the AHL next season where he'll likely be the 2C.

At 21, now is the time for Karlsson to make a go at the NHL and I think he has a chance. I just hope he doesn't pull a Dahlen and insist on staying back in Sweden. Karlsson feels like a player who could surprise and make an NHL roster sooner than later. He's just got the dark horse factor written all over him.

• Cheers 4

• 2 weeks later...

LK has been presented by Skellefteå AIK in the SHL and has signed a contract throughout the 22/23 season.

I am extremely pleased with his choice of his next club and his next step in his development. He is joining one of the best teams in the SHL. 

Quote from Erik Forsell, I guess he is the equivalent of a GM for Skellefteå:

Great that Linus has chosen to come to Skellefteå. A playful and avid forward with a good shot who took big steps during the year and was a leading player in the hockey allsvenskan and Karlskoga. We believe that he will continue to develop in our environment.

I believe so too. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I was hoping that he would come over this summer and play for Utica/wherever next season

Ah well. Good luck in the SHL, it might even be a better developmental league than the AHL for Swedes

I'll still keep my avatar, though

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

We hold LK rights until June 1st 2022. 

Jun 1, 2022
Jun 1, 2022June

So is he signed until after his rights expire? 

41 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So is he signed until after his rights expire? 

Yes, but i presume he has an NHL out. That doesn't mean he has to play in the NHL either but means that he has an out to sign with an NHL organization. 

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Yes, but i presume he has an NHL out. That doesn't mean he has to play in the NHL either but means that he has an out to sign with an NHL organization. 

From Cap Friendly his term on the reserve list expire June 1st 2022. He isn't signed to any sort of contract. The only players listed as indefinite are the 4 Russian. All the Swedish hopeful have a term limit, that's the way I read it

Vancouver Canucks Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

8 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Draftees from Sweden don’t need “out clauses.” The transfer agreement takes care of that. If he’s signed to an NHL ELC, the NHL contract overrides any Swedish pro contract. The Swedish Federation gets paid set compensation (the rate is negotiated in the transfer agreement), which gets split between the teams that developed Karlsson.

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

From Cap Friendly his term on the reserve list expire June 1st 2022. He isn't signed to any sort of contract. The only players listed as indefinite are the 4 Russian. All the Swedish hopeful have a term limit, that's the way I read it

Vancouver Canucks Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He’s a Euro pick, so four years draft rights, which, as you note, expire June 1, 2022 (he was a 2018 pick).

EDIT: “Indefinite” draft rights only happen when a player is drafted out of the system that doesn’t have an active transfer agreement (like Russian leagues, ie: MHL, VHL, KHL, and IIRC the Swiss leagues as well.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Draftees from Sweden don’t need “out clauses.” The transfer agreement takes care of that. If he’s signed to an NHL ELC, the NHL contract overrides any Swedish pro contract. The Swedish Federation gets paid set compensation (the rate is negotiated in the transfer agreement), which gets split between the teams that developed Karlsson.

He’s a Euro pick, so four years draft rights, which, as you note, expire June 1, 2022 (he was a 2018 pick).

EDIT: “Indefinite” draft rights only happen when a player is drafted out of the system that doesn’t have an active transfer agreement (like Russian leagues, ie: MHL, VHL, KHL, and IIRC the Swiss leagues as well.)

I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for clarifying! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for clarifying! 

No problem. :) 

It’s actually a really good system (although I’d agree with the Swedes, who think the compensation should be higher, especially for their “star” players).

But it really helps out some of the smaller teams in those European systems. The compensation gets split, so a small team that had a future NHLer when he was younger, and then let him move on to a bigger market and/or higher league (like SHL), will still get a cut of the NHL transfer fee. This money really helps out, and can mean new facilities and equipment to keep small teams going.

I just saw that the Swiss finally signed on, when the agreements were renewed in 2020, so the only major European system without an agreement now is Russia (MHL, VHL, KHL), but the rest of Europe has working transfer agreements.

EDIT: Also, I believe the Swedes were finally successful in getting the AHL age exemption removed from the most recent agreement (2020), something they’ve really pushed for in previous negotiations. So now, European players will need to be 20 years old to play in the AHL, just like their North American counterparts (college players are still exempt IIRC). This means that many Swedish prospects will stay in Sweden longer, since teenagers can no longer be sent to the AHL, so NHL teams will need to be sure draftees are NHL ready, or else they will need to leave them in Sweden until they are at least 20 years old.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No problem. :) 

It’s actually a really good system (although I’d agree with the Swedes, who think the compensation should be higher, especially for their “star” players).

But it really helps out some of the smaller teams in those European systems. The compensation gets split, so a small team that had a future NHLer when he was younger, and then let him move on to a bigger market and/or higher league (like SHL), will still get a cut of the NHL transfer fee. This money really helps out, and can mean new facilities and equipment to keep small teams going.

I just saw that the Swiss finally signed on, when the agreements were renewed in 2020, so the only major European system without an agreement now is Russia (MHL, VHL, KHL), but the rest of Europe has working transfer agreements.

EDIT: Also, I believe the Swedes were finally successful in getting the AHL age exemption removed from the most recent agreement (2020), something they’ve really pushed for in previous negotiations. So now, European players will need to be 20 years old to play in the AHL, just like their North American counterparts (college players are still exempt IIRC). This means that many Swedish prospects will stay in Sweden longer, since teenagers can no longer be sent to the AHL, so NHL teams will need to be sure draftees are NHL ready, or else they will need to leave them in Sweden until they are at least 20 years old.

That last paragraph was completely new to me. I really like that as a Swedish NHL fan. My bias is towards N.A to be honest but I think for the players themselves it's probably better to stay home that extra year. Also I support MoDo who happen to be one of the most prominent talent producers in Swedish hockey so I am always hopeful of our youngsters kicking around for a little longer to help out the team. Lately we are losing most of our talent to the SHL even before they move over to N.A. There are some voices that want to extend that "transfer ban" to within Sweden as well (players can't move clubs until they are 20 years old). We belong in the SHL so it's our own demise to blame. 

We have two players who have already signed on with SHL teams for next season. William Wallinder (Detroit pick) and William Strömgren (2021 nhl draft prospect) have both signed with Rögle of the SHL according to a lot of sources. 

The Canucks and MoDo have a lot of links and I guess that is one of the reasons I became a Canucks fan in the first place as a 9 year old.  Markus Näslund, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Alex Edler, and Samuel Påhlsson are the first to come to mind. Quite some prominent Canucks legends on that list!

18 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

So we gave up Burrows for nothing in the end :D - Lovin it for us 

We also gave up Hansen for a bust (Goldobin) 

Man.. everyone was so excited about that TDL only to end up with nothing haha. niceee :bigblush:

Don't get so excited trollboy. We can sign him any time in the next year. We still own his rights. When that is no longer the case, then you can jump up and down celebrating the Canucks bad news.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Don't get so excited trollboy. We can sign him any time in the next year. We still own his rights. When that is no longer the case, then you can jump up and down celebrating the Canucks bad news.

Just out of interest does he have a NHL get out clause? The length of this new contract goes beyond the rights we have a hold on him. They expire June 1st 2022

On 5/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, Fred65 said:

Just out of interest does he have a NHL get out clause? The length of this new contract goes beyond the rights we have a hold on him. They expire June 1st 2022

If you'd paid attention to Sid's post, you'd know they all do with SHL deals.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Chris Faber’s prospects update:

Linus Karlsson, (2018 3rd Round Pick of  S.J. Sharks) Acquired in Trade for Jonathan Dahlen at the 2019 Trade Deadline

After finishing eighth in scoring at the Allsvenskan, Linus Karlsson is moving up to the SHL this coming season and will play for Skellefteå in the SHL. He is currently practicing with the squad and they are beginning exhibition games this week with their first game coming today (Tuesday) against Växjö.

Karlsson will get a good run with the team and is expected to be in a bottom-six role with the SHL team out of camp. We will have to wait and see if he gets any time on the power play with Skellefteå.

The 21-year-old has impressed at every level he has played in and now will be tested as he moves up to the top league in Sweden. We will keep a close eye on him this season.

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/08/10/what-hearing-canucks-prospects-fabers-august-update/

• Cheers 2