The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I could see someone making an argument for maybe having Dahlen on our third line ahead of Dowling, but Motte should be back sooner than later and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take that spot. Needless to say, Dahlen wouldn't be getting plum minutes here, he's not beating out Pearson or Hoglander on the left wing. 

I'm not trashing Dahlen, he simply wouldn't get the same opportunity here and there are players I'd sooner give that opportunity instead. 

Dowling; IMO, is just a place holder till Motte returns.

Not sure if, or when Sutt's returns but it would make for another shakeup in the bottom six.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With all of the talk of Dahlen sweeping the boards lately, I think it's important that we make sure to keep track of Karlsson's progression as well. After an excellent PPG season in Swe-1 last year in which he was the youngest player in the top 8 scoring leaders and second youngest of the top ten, he currently sits at 6 points in 13 games in the SHL. Pretty solid numbers for a 21 year old rookie that was only a third rd pick.

I really think this kid is flying under the radar. His progression has really taken an upswing in the last couple of years and, with his durability in being able to play both forward positions, his offensive prowess and his solid defensive game, I think he's one of our top prospects. Really looking forward to seeing what he does once he makes the trip to NA.

He has some sandpaper to his game also. 

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's definitely a bonus. Apparently our rights to him expire after this year. I'll be miffed if we let him fall by the wayside.

Yeah, have to hope he's in Abby next fall.

Hopefully we bring Jasek back in the fold as well.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I like your Aristophanes quote of his character, Praxagora, on the bottom of your post.

Isn't there some question about his skating? I guess this year in the SEL will tell the tale, I'm sure Lindgren will keep close tabs

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Isn't there some question about his skating? I guess this year in the SEL will tell the tale, I'm sure Lindgren will keep close tabs

He bulked up and lost 1/2 a step.  Now seems more comfortable with his heavier body and seems to be a tad faster than last winter.  I read somewhere he had put on around 8 kilos (just shy of 18 lbs) of mainly muscle mass (might even be an inch or so taller than he looked last season)

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking on Karlson. He plays for Skelleftea, he's 22, centre, shoots right, 6'/180.

His team is 4th O/A and he is 7th in Pts. on the roster ( Oscar Moller, 32, a 2nd round pick of LA ) is 4th in Pts for the same team. He's no standout in the SEL so can some one tell me why he would excell in the NHL, an honest question

42 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just checking on Karlson. He plays for Skelleftea, he's 22, centre, shoots right, 6'/180.

His team is 4th O/A and he is 7th in Pts. on the roster ( Oscar Moller, 32, a 2nd round pick of LA ) is 4th in Pts for the same team. He's no standout in the SEL so can some one tell me why he would excell in the NHL, an honest question

He wouldn’t. Yet.

He was always going to be a long term project not unlike Dahlen.

Another couple years in the SHL and we’ll see where he’s at. If his offensive game has improved he could end up being a good top 9 forward.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

It's Karlsson's 1st year in the SHL (his first 16 games in the higher league). There could be an adjustment period, so will have to see his progression through the season. Moller, as you've brought up, is actually 2nd in team scoring (top forward). Assuming Moller is a 1st line player for them and from the video clip above where he got a primary assist on Moller's goal, it would appear he's getting first line minutes (although it could've been a line juggle or in between a line change) as a 1st year player in the league, so while his point production isn't there yet, he's doing something right to get the minutes.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He wouldn’t. Yet.

He was always going to be a long term project not unlike Dahlen.

Another couple years in the SHL and we’ll see where he’s at. If his offensive game has improved he could end up being a good top 9 forward.

His draft rights will be up this coming June 5th if I'm correct and would be an UFA at that point if the Canucks chose not to sign him. He has also signed this past summer an extension to play with Skelleftea but it does have an NHL out clause if he would like to sign his ELC with Vancouver (or another NHL club).

I do project his game more as bottom six scorer who has some size (As I do believe he has grown from his original frame of 6'0'' 179 lbs" - his wingspan looks longer, and his shoulders look far more broader compared to his draft year picture). He seems to have some decent vision and seems very good at identifying the soft spots in the ozone to get garbage goals. A lot of his goals in his D+1 year was from the perimeter and off the rush, but he has developed a better scoring touch in close and scoring more greasy goals. 

I think Canucks will get him inked to an ELC and would likely want him to come to Abbotsford next season. But he is still a few years away from being NHL ready. I project him to be like a Carl Soderberg like kind of player, projectable size and scoring ability in a bottom six role, but what hinders them from really excelling is the skating. Linus isn't bad of a skater, but he kind of has a choppy and short stride. It won't likely hurt him at the NHL level, but it won't help him elevate his game. 

• Cheers 2

I seriously doubt it ( signing  him ) they've had ample opportunity and some how rather than sign hopeful prospect the mandate will be to make Abby a successful team & garner some revenue. So the team you see there currently will be a model for the future, sign quality AHL players

• Wat 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, Moe Knows said:

Seems to me the Canucks are more interested in having the farm team win games with fringe NHLers than giving bulk of ice time to the prospects they have drafted to develop.  Terrible how Dahlen felt that his development wasn't a priority for the Canucks and how he was vilified by Canucks fans, so much so that he had to shut down his social media accounts for speaking out about it.

Starting to think that the current management and coaching staff in both Vancouver and Abbotsford are talking out of their collective @$$ when it comes to player development.  Only player who comes to mind that the Canucks have properly developed through their minor system is Thatcher Demko.

One player developed through the farm playing for the big club.  That's an epic organizational failure.  Team is light years away from the program they are running successfully in Tampa Bay.

EDIT: Ooops. Forgot this was the Linus Karlsson thread.  Hope he can make the jump directly to the NHL because he'll have his career phucked if he gets sent to Abbotsford.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1