The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

@Warhippy  How many draft picks have we acquired at all of bennings trade deadlines combined?  Is it just the one 4th rounder from the Hansen deal?  As a rebuilding team with a GM who's strength is clearly his drafting, why are we not taking advantage of teams at this time of year like every other rebuilding team seems to be doing?  You can't say "what's he supposed to do" he should of brought in players who can be moved for value but he hasn't or at least hasn't gotten the proper value or the type of value we actually need.  Why do we need Tanner frickin Pearson, why Tyler Motte, why Leipsic why Goldobin, all of these marginal nhl player pick ups that don't move the needle a damn bit and aren't even helping our AHL club.  Just now we are seeing the Benning prospects....yeah it's a bout damn time...who do we even have graduating to the AHL next year?   I can hardly think of one.

Playing devils advocate here.

What makes you think that a latter round pick would be more successful for this team than Motte or Goldobin?  I realize that in general picks do have value, i just dont understand the obsession that proper rebuild = dump everything for picks.

Benning has been an extremely underwhelming GM in every category aside from amateur scouting... which has been very strong. People have a right to complain about the other stuff. He has had some bad luck, and didn't exactly inheret an ideal situation coming in. However, I don't think he's done enough to deserve to keep his post. If it were up to me I'd offer him a lateral promotion to VP / head of scouting and let someone else come in and handle the other stuff... I doubt that option is on the table for him tho

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How was Benning supposed to add picks?  Our LW depth prior to today consisted of...Eriksson, Goldobin, Spooner and oh...Schaller.  Pearson is a breath of fresh air really.  I'd rather have a guy who has won two cups and potted 20+ goals than what?  A 2nd?  Maybe a 3rd too?  Rebuilding isn't done exclusively with picks.  Look at what Ottawa did.

That is one of the jobs of a GM, this is not the only day of the year he can make trades for picks. Retention. Cap relief for other teams so they can make better deals lots of ways and time get just one extra draft pick over a 5 year period, instead he is minus 2. Ottawa has 25 picks over the next two years and numerous prospects.

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We made the playoffs 3 years ago.  Drafted Boeser at 23.  Bennings first draft was 2014 but first season was 2014/2015 which was the Boeser draft.  The following 3 years saw us go from the oldest team to one of the youngest.  From up against the cap to having $22 million in space to end this season.  From having 0 depth in the minors to having arguably a top 3 prospect pool.  Sorry, but after 3 years that's damned impressive and if you cannot see that you're a fool.  This IS in fact bennings team and it was supposed to be bottom 3 in the league not 5 points out of the playoffs

Since the playoffs over 180 losses. Oldest to youngest, totally false, got older and didn't get young until Sedins retired and then signed a bunch near or at 30+.

5 points if they win right? it was expected they would finish bottom of the western conference, two more spots to go. They have 0 depth in the minors now Guadette, a Gillis trade pick and one/two out of 30+ prospects?

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Benning gifted us with a generation talent in EP40, and i admit i was one bashing when he did not select Glass

The gift is that EP was unnoticed by the first 4 teams, Boeser was just BPA. OJ is a fail, JV, third line ,

Just now, The 5th Line said:

You don't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.   Adam Gaudette enough said

For every gaudette there are 10 misses.  But really, what makes you think that a 4th or 5th rounder would bring more value to the team than say Tyler Motte? Motte is in the NHL contributing, the 3rd or 4th or 5th rounder has a small chance of even sniffing the NHL.  I can see how the draft picks can be used as currency in trades, but im not convinced that latter round picks are more valuable than players like motte or goldobin.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay so why does every other team not trade for these guys, why are the rangers, red wings, kings collecting picks and not 3rd/4th liners..these are storied franchises who I'm pretty sure know what they are doing.   The more picks you have the better chance we nail one of them.   

Just look at all the picks that get moved every year at this time, but never to us, the team that keeps finishing bottom 5

you think that the rangers, kings etc dont trade for prospects and or young players that are either AHL calibre or on the cusp of making the NHL?  Personally id take Tyler Motte over a third rounder or beyond every day of the week.  I get it, id like more picks too...but i dont think hoarding picks is the holy grail that some people in here think it is.

As for "the more picks you have the better chance we nail one of them".   Same argument can be made for "the more prospects you trade for the more chance you nail one of them".  

1 hour ago, Seinfeld said:

What does having the Sedins off the team have anything to do with it?

Were the Sedins whispering in his ear with a gun to his head telling him to trade for and sign Gudbranson, overpay every July 1st for free agents which we were told would bring back draft picks at the end of their contracts, botch almost every trade deadline, never accumulate picks when we constantly see other teams able to with lesser assets, mishandle routine paper transactions like the whole McKenna ordeal?

Benning is the GM, not the Sedins.

5 points out of a playoffs spot? You mean 5 points from third last in the league.

The sedins with their contract and NTCs were not going anywhere.  EVERYONE in the industry was quite understandable that no rebuild could really occur, no change in culture or true rebuild until the twins retired.

You're complaining about McKenna....when no matter what happened to McKenna and no matter who picked him up he was going to end up back on waivers anyways.  Define botch every trade deadline and please explain in detail how the players that COULD have been moved controlled their own fate and please don't lean on Hamhuis because Dallas screwed Benning and the team hard on that one.

5 points out of the playoffs, 5 points out of 3rd last.  Some of us aren't entirely negative for the sake of being negative

41 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

@Warhippy  How many draft picks have we acquired at all of bennings trade deadlines combined?  Is it just the one 4th rounder from the Hansen deal?  As a rebuilding team with a GM who's strength is clearly his drafting, why are we not taking advantage of teams at this time of year like every other rebuilding team seems to be doing?  You can't say "what's he supposed to do" he should of brought in players who can be moved for value but he hasn't or at least hasn't gotten the proper value or the type of value we actually need.  Why do we need Tanner frickin Pearson, why Tyler Motte, why Leipsic why Goldobin, all of these marginal nhl player pick ups that don't move the needle a damn bit and aren't even helping our AHL club.  Just now we are seeing the Benning prospects....yeah it's a bout damn time...who do we even have graduating to the AHL next year?   I can hardly think of one.

Why do we need Pearson?  After Eriksson, our best LW depth is Goldobin or Spooner.  You tell me why we need Pearson.  Why do we need Motte, Goldobin etc etc etc.  Ever try populating the roster with just draft picks at 18 years old?  Or trying to build essentially 3/4 of your team through free agency?  The very fact you don't understand exactly WHY those players are essential negates any argument you might make

As for who do we have for the AHL next year?  Check the prospects section.  Will give you a fair idea who.

I really should give myself the 24 hour rule and not comment...…..but I am not happy...…...this is my therapy!

1....Did anyone notice how many times Benning said that Hughes Family has to decide if he is coming this year or not......It made me fell uncomfortable

2....Did anyone think about Benning's comments about Dahlen being entitled and wanting to come up, then referred to all young players feeling they should just jump into the NHL right away...….no AHL time?

- Is that reference to Hughes?

- Is it a reference to Tryamkin and contract talks?

3. Palmu and now Dahlen...……..ok, is it a trend or just a oddity?

4. Finally...…….just choked in general about the fab 4 (Edler, Tanev, Baertschi, and Sutter), who always seemed to be injured at the TDL for some reason. 

5. Jim looked Stressed...………...could have just been no sleep...…..

Like I said.....I should have waited 24 hours

Maybe Pearson will make it all better! :frantic:

26 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That is one of the jobs of a GM, this is not the only day of the year he can make trades for picks. Retention. Cap relief for other teams so they can make better deals lots of ways and time get just one extra draft pick over a 5 year period, instead he is minus 2. Ottawa has 25 picks over the next two years and numerous prospects.

Since the playoffs over 180 losses. Oldest to youngest, totally false, got older and didn't get young until Sedins retired and then signed a bunch near or at 30+.

5 points if they win right? it was expected they would finish bottom of the western conference, two more spots to go. They have 0 depth in the minors now Guadette, a Gillis trade pick and one/two out of 30+ prospects?

The gift is that EP was unnoticed by the first 4 teams, Boeser was just BPA. OJ is a fail, JV, third line ,

Shouldn't you be informing Eklund of the next breaking rumour or trade in the NHL?

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

aOkay so why does every other team not trade for these guys, why are the rangers, red wings, kings collecting picks and not 3rd/4th liners..these are storied franchises who I'm pretty sure know what they are doing.   The more picks you have the better chance we nail one of them.   

Just look at all the picks that get moved every year at this time, but never to us, the team that keeps finishing bottom 5

Storied franchise? The leafs are a storied franchise and haven't sniffed the finals since there was only 6 teams in the league.

The team that keeps finishing bottom 5.  For 3 years.  Also the team that has been in the top 5 for man games lost over the last 3 years.  The more picks you have the better the chance you nail them.

The Oilers have had a bunch of choice picks, as have the Yotes, Isles, Panthers and Canes over the past decade.  How are they doing?  

PS.....Jimbo is better to give Edler a short 2 year contract and overpay...than to sign any NTC or NMC, because he has no idea h0ow many defenceman could need protection at the draft...….you never know when players progress …….the only thing we know is that Edler will be 33 years old this year....never worth loosing a young player for in 3 years

NEVER!

1 hour ago, OneSeventeen said:

I don't really mind any of the moves Benning made.

But my god, the second round pick given up for Gudbranson is just so glaring right now.

Jordan Kyrou, Alex DeBrincat, our former Johnathan Dahlen, Carter Hart, Kale Clague, Dillon Dube and Taylor Raddysh.

Possibilities. 

"Yeah but hindsight is 20/20, you can't look at it that way"

"Benning is a draft guru! He can find gems in any round"

- Benning apologists, talking out of both sides of their mouth

Just a disappointing day in the fact that for the last 5 years of rebuilding the only extra 2nd round pick we’ve managed to get was because Columbus signed Torts. We really are doing this rebuild with just our own picks. What other team does that lol. No 2nd chances in the 1rst or 2nd rounds of the draft. So we really can’t afford to miss on a pick.

These trades are fine you traded a bad dman for what should be a good 3rd liner and a disgruntled prospect who wanted out for another prospect we thought about in the 3rd round last draft.

There just should have been more and I wanted more. We have a plethora of bottom 6 guys that are probably going to have to walk for nothing. Tired of sticking with the same vets everybody keeps saying we’d be lost without. The Edlers and the Tanevs of the team they’re here and we’re bottom 5 every year. Why not trade them for extra 1rst rounders can we really finish much lower? And if we did wouldn’t that be better?

What would be better for a rebuild

Hughes, Kakko or Byram + a late first 

or a guy ranked around 8-10

@Warhippy

This gatekeeping is nonsense, and below someone of your intellect.

We are all fans, even if we disagree about the way the ship is being steered.

Like seriously, I don't understand the thought process of shutting out opinions that don't agree. Conversate about them. I remember when Deb used to hate me because I didn't think Burrows would play until he was 50, and banned me for it.

Talk. Skip the insults.

Archived