The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Player poll: Subban, Laine most overrated [article]

poetica

Nashville Predators defenceman P.K. Subban and Winnipeg Jets winger Patrik Laine are viewed as the most overrated players in the league in an NHL player poll released by The Athletic on Thursday.

According to Ian Denomme of The Athletic, Subban collected 23 per cent of the vote, while nine per cent of those balloted picked Laine. Florida Panthers defenceman Aaron Ekblad was third, collecting six per cent of the vote, followed by Los Angeles Kings defenceman Dion Phaneuf and San Jose Sharks blueliner Erik Karlsson at four per cent. 

A total of 46 players received at least one vote and of the 198 players surveyed, only 63 per cent answered the question.

Subban, 29, is the highest-paid defenceman in the league this season with a $9 million cap hit. He has six goals and 23 points in 47 games this season and ranks fourth on the Predators with an average on 22:14 of ice time per game.

His salary will be topped next season when Kings blueliner Drew Doughty's extension kicks in, carrying an $11 million cap hit.

Laine, 20, ranked second in the league with 44 goals last season, and sits at 29 goals this season after ending a 15-game goal drought last week. The second-overall pick in 2016 has a total of 109 goals and 176 points in 218 games since entering the league. He will be a restricted free agent this summer.

View the full player poll results here.

Source: https://www.tsn.ca/player-poll-subban-laine-most-overrated-1.1265431

Anyone have access to the rest of the results and care to share? [EDIT: See more results below.]

11 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Laine a good case but he's only 20. Still too early but that goaless drought was pretty bad

Sorry, he is a one trick pony. When not scoring on one timers from the hash marks he doesn't do much else.

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

Phaneuf is even rated by players? maybe he was overrated in 2004....

Karl put Ottawa on his back 2 seasons ago and took them to the conference finals.....don't really know about overrated there. 

Karlsson is the most over rated swashbuckler in the league. There, I said it.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I can agree with Laine.

Boeser has actually been more productive (points-wise) and nearly identical for goals production... all on a way inferior team, but he gets probably just a fraction of the coverage.  

For years Wheeler just kept producing (top ten year after year) all the while playing a heavy game that wears down opposing defenders...and guys like Laine and Mathews and McDavid and Eichel get all the props given they are the next wave.  Personally I think he was the most underrated forward in the league over the past five years, he finally got a pay cheque that’s fair and the recognition.  Yet Laine got the most attention ... even Scheiffle is a better player and you don’t hear enough about him.

Subban is the first to toot his own horn, no surprise he’s also on this list...wonder if Doughty got some votes too, for a couple years after his coming out media party in the 2014 Olympics you couldn’t read a hockey magazine or scroll through NHL.com without seeing some sort of article propping him up, and personally I think all the attention got to the people that vote in for the Norris trophy as although somewhat deserving he wasn’t the one that should have won, Karlsson was robbed.  Lidstroms last trophy was worse (man did they ever get that one wrong, terrible plus minus with just over forty points...a real head scratcher and shameful, the competition was thin for most of his trophies but that one was embarrassing), but I think they were thinking he wouldn’t get one, much like Park with Orr and Potvin, always the bridesmaid but never the bride, and id bet if the re did that voting now with a lot of the shine and luster over Doughty 2014-2016 gone he wouldn’t get nearly as many votes.  

That’s my take on a few guys that don’t get enough recognition (Wheeler and Schieffle, maybe Marner too) and some chumps that are media darlings and get a lot more attention than their play actually warrents.  Weber is killing it since he got back...don’t hear anything about him anymore do we?

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Karlsson is the most over rated swashbuckler in the league. There, I said it.

It took some tome for SJ to get used to what he could do, but as Wilson said (and he should know given he should probably be in the HHOF) once the players realized what he’s capable of and adapted their system for it, he shredded the scoring list from December onward and was actually on pace for a career year (90 points) until he got hurt again.  It took some time to gain some traction, but he was doing it and even better than he was doing it in OTT given the team he’s playing on.  If anything he’s underrated,  I must admit I’m a fan having watched his entire career since moving near OTT in 2009, so maybe I’m biased a bit, he’s the best defenseman of his generation, and his scoring lines up with the best ever joining Orr and Coffey as the only other players to be top ten three times...he also blocks a ton of shots and does things other players simply can’t to keep the puck out of the net (he’s multi dimensional) and the ice tilts heavily the other way when he’s on the ice.  Whoever gets him this summer won’t be disappointed, his health is a concern but like the Sedins he’s a fitness junky (but a lot stronger), with slashing to the hands all but gone and the tempo the way it is now he’s going to keep doing his thing as long as his body can take it.   Subban is pretty good too, but Karlsson is the Crosby but on defense of his generation.  One of a small group of actual super stars and both the eye test and the stats back it up.

Just now, IBatch said:

It took some tome for SJ to get used to what he could do, but as Wilson said (and he should know given he should probably be in the HHOF) once the players realized what he’s capable of and adapted their system for it, he shredded the scoring list from December onward and was actually on pace for a career year (90 points) until he got hurt again.  It took some time to gain some traction, but he was doing it and even better than he was doing it in OTT given the team he’s playing on.  If anything he’s underrated,  I must admit I’m a fan having watched his entire career since moving near OTT in 2009, so maybe I’m biased a bit, he’s the best defenseman of his generation, and his scoring lines up with the best ever joining Orr and Coffey as the only other players to be top ten three times...he also blocks a ton of shots and does things other players simply can’t to keep the puck out of the net (he’s multi dimensional) and the ice tilts heavily the other way when he’s on the ice.  Whoever gets him this summer won’t be disappointed, his health is a concern but like the Sedins he’s a fitness junky (but a lot stronger), with slashing to the hands all but gone and the tempo the way it is now he’s going to keep doing his thing as long as his body can take it.   Subban is pretty good too, but Karlsson is the Crosby but on defense of his generation.  One of a small group of actual super stars and both the eye test and the stats back it up.

Oh, I just mean he looks like a lost Muskateer.

@poetica

Who is the best all-around Player?

Crosby - 48%

McDavid - 25%

Bergeron - 11%

Barkov - 4%

Kucherov - 4%

Game 7, who do you pick as your goalie?

Price - 28%

Fleury - 16%

Vasilevskiy - 15%

Quick - 7%

Holtby - 6%

Most Underated?

Barkov - 26%

Backstrom - 8%

Point - 8%

Spurgeon - 6%

Giordano - 5%

Most Overrated?

Subban - 23%

Laine - 9%

Ekblad - 6%

Phaneuf - 4%

Karlsson - 4%

Coach you want to Play for?

Gallant - 23%

Cooper - 23%

Trotz - 11%

Maurice - 6%

Tortorella - 6%

Coach you don’t want to play for?

Tortorella - 30%

Hitchcock - 27%

Babcock - 15%

Carlyle - 11%

Boucher - 3%

Most fun road city?

Vegas - 26%

Nashville - 19%

Chicago - 13%

Vancouver - 12%

New York - 10%

Worst road city?

Winnipeg - 38%

Buffalo - 15%

Ottawa - 12%

Edmonton - 8%

Carolina - 5%

Best fans?

VGK - 28%

MTL - 18%

NSH - 11%

WPG - 8%

CHI - 7%

Worst fans?

FLA - 48%

ARZ - 18%

CAR - 12%

PHI - 6%

NYI - 3%

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

But wait -- he's "the best player in the world..."

'Cuz the media and everyone parrots it non-stop.

Isn't he like 20 points behind the scoring race? Back in the day the best player was the guy who had the best point total. McDavid doesn't make his linemates better. Which would be the 20 points he needs.

Archived