The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter to STHs

BCNeil

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but Gillis did have two top 10 picks...

One has worked out marvelously for the record...the other...well he could have been Erik Karlsson :shock:

Well, if you want to play that game, we could have had Nylander, Tkachuk, Pastrnak and Debrincat instead of Pearson, Virtanen and Juolevi.

Hodgson was a great pick whose stock only rose post-draft. A medical issue hindered his game and forced him to retire early, it's not the same as drafting a bust.

51 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I don't know.  Does it also mean Edler is coming back?

I sent a response, just saying something generic like thanks for the exciting year guys,  maybe I will get something back

As especially being hockey fans, learn to expect nothing and we won't be disappointed... 

There is a similarity to the 2015/2016 season in the standings, a good comparison.

While both seasons are fairly close in the win/loss column the positive thing is the team is going in a reverse direction, before they were declining, now they are ascending which could be seen as they have hit rock bottom and are rebounding.

That the point total may only have a small increase mostly due to how bad other teams have played up to now and the decision of some teams to go all out tank, the Canucks are going in the other direction.

Looking ahead I see only one more season of sub .500 play and that will hopefully be due to a large number of new draft picks needing to get ice time, not because the team is declining.

The letter is nice, obviously produced by the marketing department but endorsed by the signee's and would include most player's attitude, at least hopefully, I mean is it ever probable that a negative letter would be produced, ever?

Dear Vancouver Canucks,

The music you play in Roger's Arena is atrocious, other than that keep up the good work.  Seriously though play better music.

Signed,

Every fan

P.S.  Cannot stress enough that you need to play better music.

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Doesn’t change the fact that JB has found talent later in the draft, from the late first round to the fifth round (Gaudette). 

Give credit where credit is due. Gillis flatout whiffed on pretty much everything but Horvat and Hutton. 

Doesn’t change their draft positions.

Even I could have picked us Jake, Oili, Hughes, etc. 

Gillis was picking what Prez trophy teams do. 

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's a better letter than when Mike Gillis was bragging about signing Dane Fox.

Hard to believe he got canned a few weeks later.

Edit : From that letter " And we believe in our talented group of prospects, including Bo Horvat, Nicklas Jensen, Frank Corrado, Dane Fox, Brendan Gaunce and Hunter Shinkaruk, who will be part of our short and long-term success." :lol:

I think it's safe to say Benning fixed our prospect pool.

Wow. Looking back, that is an atrocious prospect pool. Except for Horvat, none of those guys were able to carve out an NHL career.

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Take out our high firsts and Benning's still done better.

Boeser, Demko, DiPietro, Madden, Gaudette, Briesbrois, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin

1 hour ago, khay said:

Wow. Looking back, that is an atrocious prospect pool. Except for Horvat, none of those guys were able to carve out an NHL career.

But the team won over 200 games, 2 president cup and a game 7 for the cup, you would trade that for a good prospect pool instead? Can't have both and if they do end with both then they are stuck in the middle not good enough to win and not bad enough to get better draft picks because the pool is filled with a mediocre skill level. 

26 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

No defending the MG administration's bad drafting. He even admits that was his biggest weakness and regret.

I remember when they drafted Jensen I was so disappointed.  Not like I know anything about the prospects but I had a hunch that was a wasted pick.  On the flipside I was certain Shinkaruk would make it.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Dear Vancouver Canucks,

The music you play in Roger's Arena is atrocious, other than that keep up the good work.  Seriously though play better music.

Signed,

Every fan

I    C A N    M A K E    Y O U R    H A N D S    C L A P

C

A

N

M

A

K

E

Y

O

U

R

H

A

N

D

S

C

L

A

P

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Except for the fact that there were still great players for Gillis to draft with his picks. But, I guess only hindsight works for criticize Benning according to you.

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

There is a similarity to the 2015/2016 season in the standings, a good comparison.

While both seasons are fairly close in the win/loss column the positive thing is the team is going in a reverse direction, before they were declining, now they are ascending which could be seen as they have hit rock bottom and are rebounding.

That the point total may only have a small increase mostly due to how bad other teams have played up to now and the decision of some teams to go all out tank, the Canucks are going in the other direction.

Looking ahead I see only one more season of sub .500 play and that will hopefully be due to a large number of new draft picks needing to get ice time, not because the team is declining.

The letter is nice, obviously produced by the marketing department but endorsed by the signee's and would include most player's attitude, at least hopefully, I mean is it ever probable that a negative letter would be produced, ever?

keep in mind nothing ever goes as linearly as you'd hope. less than 2 years ago the "ascending" oilers were in the 2nd round of the playoffs and the "ascending" senators took the penguins to game 7 of the conference final. 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

I    C A N    M A K E    Y O U R    H A N D S    C L A P

C

A

N

M

A

K

E

Y

O

U

R

H

A

N

D

S

C

L

A

P

I can make your head explode.

*plays Whitney Houston at a critical point in the game*

I liked it when we had Clutch, Rage, Beastie Boys, etc.  pumping out in the rink. 

I'm not sure my heart will go on with the music that we're being forcefed lately.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Dear Vancouver Canucks,

Signed,

Every fan

No kidding, they butcher every song and it’s horrible 

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Well, if you want to play that game, we could have had Nylander, Tkachuk, Pastrnak and Debrincat instead of Pearson, Virtanen and Juolevi.

Hodgson was a great pick whose stock only rose post-draft. A medical issue hindered his game and forced him to retire early, it's not the same as drafting a bust.

You're skipping a significant flaw in picking Hodgson: his attitude.

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not that I entirely disagree with the sentiment but Gillis did have two top 10 picks...

One has worked out marvelously for the record...the other...well he could have been Erik Karlsson :shock:

Everyone was really happy with the Hodgson pick though, especially after his wjc performance. Something about him being Stamkos without the skating, which is kind of stupid because skating is like pretty much everything but I digress.

At the time both him and Schroeder were good picks. Hodgson was Stamkos lite and Schroeder was supposed to go much higher. I believe he was ranked 10th on the tsn board and was a Minnesota superstar parise style. Us as fans can only complain if it was a poor pick at the time like Juolevi and Virtanen. 

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Take out our high firsts and Benning's still done better.

Boeser, Demko, DiPietro, Madden, Gaudette, Briesbrois, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Tryamkin

Besides Boeser and Gaudette if you really stretch, none are proven. All those mike gillis guys looked good to okay at one point too. They just busted just like many on that list might,

cole cassels and Shinkaruk looked amazing at one point and then just got killed somehow.

Archived