The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

Wow, I was collecting a bit back in 2010 to around 2012, Ovi  young guns were going for about $100 and Crosby RCs about $300... now I'm seeing them at $1000 to $3000?  What the heck happened?  Is this a covid thing?  People stuck inside so they're just collecting stuff? lol 

I better put my Ovi YG in better protection when I get home.  Had no idea it is worth about $1000 now. 

I have a nice collection of English Premier League cards, also began collecting some NBA and MLB Cards for a few years now, not sure if anything worth much but I do enjoy opening packs and putting them in a binder

• 2 weeks later...

So down in the US Target has stopped selling NBA, NFL, MLB, Pokémon Cards due to customers getting in fights over them, I wonder how it is in the store up here?(I haven’t bought any new cards since last November) Anyone see how it is at wal mart or London drugs, they still selling? Possibly still selling but putting them behind a locked glass case?

• 2 months later...

The 21/22 European Premier League Cards released a few days ago so I bought 10 packs(6 per pack 60 cards Total) online…

Stores around here my area don’t carry them

Other than online wheres the best place around town you guys get your sports cards from?

On 5/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mj2345 said:

I have a nice collection of English Premier League cards, also began collecting some NBA and MLB Cards for a few years now, not sure if anything worth much but I do enjoy opening packs and putting them in a binder

I have a haul of cards. It ranges from football, basketball and hockey. I even got Yu Gi Oh and Pokémon cards as well :lol: It’s been a while since I’ve browsed through. It might be a good time to look at them again

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, HKSR said:

Wow, I was collecting a bit back in 2010 to around 2012, Ovi  young guns were going for about $100 and Crosby RCs about $300... now I'm seeing them at $1000 to $3000?  What the heck happened?  Is this a covid thing?  People stuck inside so they're just collecting stuff? lol 

I better put my Ovi YG in better protection when I get home.  Had no idea it is worth about $1000 now. 

Reminded me of when going through my cards a year and a half ago, deciding what to keep and what to get rid of.  Came across a Toews YG and promptly put it in a hard case.  Fortunately I soft sleeved everything at least so it was still in good shape.

• Cheers 1

Down to needing only 13 Canuck cards (as far as I can tell) to complete my mission of having a card as a Canuck for every player that has played a game in a Canuck jersey.  2 will be easy (Hoglaner and Rathbone), I'm just waiting for a less expensive version than Young Guns to come out.

Nils Hoglander is actually the player with the most games played of the ones that I need, so he gets the honour of my very professionally done filler card as I now have a Jordie Benn.  Page 34 also features new assistant coach Jason King and outgoing Canuck Nate Schmidt.

Spoiler

959445459_Page34.thumb.jpg.01c977b0d970486c6785da600c604ae0.jpg

Page 45 features the most expensive card to date in the very limited Andrey Pedan (still can't believe I located one).  Seeing Fedor Fedorov's card always makes me smirk too.

Spoiler

459611077_Page45.thumb.jpg.fb137a0ccc7075daf2b4ef4a49814779.jpg

I'm also starting a collection of Blue Jays but want to do something similar with Canucks over the years.  With the Blue Jays I'm getting the Topps card of top 3 Blue Jays in the WAR category.  I find it neat because each year is a row and you can see how the cards change over the year.  As I said I want to do something similar to the Canucks.  I'm thinking maybe top 3 points leaders?  But that would exclude goalies and many defensemen.  I may end up going with that but am open to suggestions.  I like the row of 3.  I'd start with OPC and then flip to Upper Deck in the 90s

Spoiler

820473489_JaysWAR.thumb.jpg.c368c3f80e75594fbabf81153a75d3b9.jpg

Edited by Wilbur
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Bought a package of Prizm MLB Cards at Walmart today, it was a 12 card pack with a bonus 6 card pack for a total of 18 cards, I went through self check out and it ringed up at $27 lol…a bit pricier than I would Have liked, decided to just buy them but won’t again..I’ll stick to less pricey cards..

• 1 month later...

Got my Hoglander in the mail recently.

Spoiler

Hoglander.thumb.jpg.6dec474840708a0ac76d67c554ed1baa.jpg

This now means Jack Rathbone holds the honor of being the current Canuck who has a card with the most games played to he gets my professionally done filler card.

Spoiler

Rathbone.thumb.jpg.3c9a95f71bcb7b0b129952ebc42790b6.jpg

Rathbone needs to play a few games so he can get off this page...some bad juju on this page with players where there time here could be at best described as frustrating (and for different reasons...Chatfield, Clendening, Schneider, Toffoli, Burke, Ferland).

I'm down now to only needing 9 (!) cards and I'll have a standard size card(or smaller) for every player that has a card in a Canuck uniform that played a meaningful game (regular season or playoffs) in a Canuck uniform.  That's 452 cards and counting.  Heh, if anyone has any leads on where I can get some cards from the 86/87 Canucks Team Issue set as 3 of my needs are from there (Stu Kulak, Taylor Hall, and Wendell Young)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Fanatics is also taking over NBA and NFL licenses:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/08/23/report-fanatics-strikes-again-set-to-become-exclusive-licensee-for-nba-trading-cards/?sh=194779d86978

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/report-fanatics-snares-nflpa-trading-card-license-in-20-year-deal/

It would be nice if the major sports dropped these "exclusive" deals. I'd love to see more competition within each sport....that's unlikely to happen soon. Upper Deck and Panini are now the only major competition left for Fanatics. Would be great if they drove competition amongst each other, but I see them churning out the same crap. I would like to see a change to the supply chain too. It's absurd that wholesalers control the market in Canada, in a modern world where I can literally buy cards directly from Upper Deck's website. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered a Kole Lind, Jack Rathbone, and Brad Leeb today.  After getting the 86/87 Canuck Team set for Christmas (I call it my Christmas miracle), I am down to needing four cards to have a card in a Canuck jersey for every player that played a regular season or playoff game in a Canuck jersey.  4 out of 453 total cards.

The stubborn remaining few include:

Ken Berry - from the 88/89 Mohawk gas set

Jason Jaffray - from the 07/08 Ultimate Collection set

Grant Ledyard - from the 97/98 Score Canucks set

Jim Wiste - from the 70/71 Sargent Promotion Stamps set

when I first started searching for these almost 2 years ago I saw the Berry and Ledyard cards, but went with other ones figuring they'd always be available.  Ah well, live and learn

Looking forward to what UD Series 1 will have in its checklist.  I know the Young Guns will be Michaelis and Lind (you know your prospect pool is shallow when...).  So I'll be looking to hunt down that Michaelis card as that will likely be his only one as a Canuck (fortunately it should be a cheap one).  But will Garland or Ekman-Larson will end up in the regular set? (assuming they get in before Poolman, Dickenson, Schenn, etc).  I want the angry elf in my binder!

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just ordered OEL, Lockwood, and Podkolzin cards.  Over the summer the UD extended series had Poolman, Chiasson, Highmore, Dickinson, Lammikko, and OEL in their set.  All players that didn't have cards as a Canuck...it's as if they knew!  So back to needing Jaffray, Berry, Ledyard, Wiste, 4 out of 466.

It will be interesting to see if any new Canucks appear in UD series 1.  Doesn't look like there will be any Canucks Young Guns, so there is a chance no new Canucks will pop up yet.  Kuzmenko, Aman, Lazar, Schenn seem more like series 2 or update series types.

• Cheers 1