The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That mint Gretzky rookie card going for $1.29 million is bringing back bad memories.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2020/12/11/wayne-gretzky-rookie-card-first-hockey-card-to-break-1-million-milestone.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=SportsHockey&utm_content=waynegretzkycard

I had that card. Not mint but probably VGE to excellent condition. Had a bunch of the big name rookie cards from that era, and lots of other valuable cards.

Stored them at my parents’ house.

The only person who ever came near them was my little cousin. He’d look at my collection when he came over (I was away for college). I had them packed away in a cabinet in the closet of my childhood bedroom. Nobody else came near them. And there were no break-ins at the house.

One year, I came home, checked my collection, and it was like someone had gone through with a Beckett and siphoned off every high value card.

Devastating. :( 

My little cousin was questioned. He denied it. I gave him the opportunity to return the cards, no questions asked, said I wouldn’t even be mad. 

He continued to deny it. 

So, nothing more I could do, without causing a major family rift. 

The one good thing about Covid-19 is I don’t have to see his face this year. Kid’s all grown up, but when I look at him, I just see the little **** who stole thousands of dollars worth of cards from me. :angry:

Wondering what mine's worth now?

gretzky.jfifgretzky.jpg.4d5b3a2c99d4b315536b529df773a972.jpg

Edited by coho8888

27 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

gretzky.jfif 153.7 kB · 3 downloads gretzky.jpg.4d5b3a2c99d4b315536b529df773a972.jpg

Probably somewhere between $1000 and $2000, I’m guessing? Hard to tell condition from my little phone screen (and I’m not a card grader). Can see some issues with the corners, but the card itself looks to be in good shape.

You’re not my cousin, though, right? ;) 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably somewhere between $1000 and $2000, I’m guessing? Hard to tell condition from my little phone screen (and I’m not a card grader). Can see some issues with the corners, but the card itself looks to be in good shape.

You’re not my cousin, though, right? ;) 

yah, the corners were the worst part.  I got this in 1991.  I traded a box of Upper Deck cards (paid 89 bucks) because there was a shortage of boxes.  This was at a corner store that sold cards.

23 hours ago, coho8888 said:

yah, the corners were the worst part.  I got this in 1991.  I traded a box of Upper Deck cards (paid 89 bucks) because there was a shortage of boxes.  This was at a corner store that sold cards.

Pretty good investment by turning $89 into something worth $1000-$2000.  Looking at my Beckett Hockey Guide from 1991, the price range for Gretzky card  was from $400-$550.   So getting a Gretzky RC for a box of Upper Deck costing $89 is amazing considering 1991 was the beginning of the boom in sports cards.   The bubble burst for sports cards soon in the next couple of years as the card manufacturers started churning out millions of these cards.  Remember Score and Pro Set?   These cards are virtually worthless with millions of them around.   The Upper Deck cards are not worth much either.

If anyone was around in 1991, there were card shops on practically every block.  There must be 20+ plus store in Vancouver back then.   All they sold was cards.  They are all gone now except for a few that also sell other collectibles like comics, magic cards, and Super Hero memorabilia.

I also have a Gretzky card that is in near mint condition bought in 1991 or 1992.    i got in a trade + cash.   It is not graded but believe it can be graded around PSA 7 or 8.

17 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Pretty good investment by turning $89 into something worth $1000-$2000.  Looking at my Beckett Hockey Guide from 1991, the price range for Gretzky card  was from $400-$550.   So getting a Gretzky RC for a box of Upper Deck costing $89 is amazing considering 1991 was the beginning of the boom in sports cards.   The bubble burst for sports cards soon in the next couple of years as the card manufacturers started churning out millions of these cards.  Remember Score and Pro Set?   These cards are virtually worthless with millions of them around.   The Upper Deck cards are not worth much either.

If anyone was around in 1991, there were card shops on practically every block.  There must be 20+ plus store in Vancouver back then.   All they sold was cards.  They are all gone now except for a few that also sell other collectibles like comics, magic cards, and Super Hero memorabilia.

I also have a Gretzky card that is in near mint condition bought in 1991 or 1992.    i got in a trade + cash.   It is not graded but believe it can be graded around PSA 7 or 8.

A PSA 7 or 8 will fetch you a pretty sum now.  Looking at the sold listings on eBay, it’s unbelievable what some people are getting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 7:11 PM, coho8888 said:

gretzky.jfif 153.7 kB · 4 downloads gretzky.jpg.4d5b3a2c99d4b315536b529df773a972.jpg

A real shame the corners on this one are so beat up, because the centering and edges look to be absolutely amazing, which is rare for this card. If you get this graded might come back a 3-4, and worth around $2k. Send it to PSA. It'll be worth the investment. With Gretzky cards you almost always want to get them graded, as there are so many fakes out there.

15 minutes ago, taxi said:

A real shame the corners on this one are so beat up, because the centering and edges look to be absolutely amazing, which is rare for this card. If you get this graded might come back a 3-4, and worth around $2k. Send it to PSA. It'll be worth the investment. With Gretzky cards you almost always want to get them graded, as there are so many fakes out there.

I heard that they used to cut some of the early cards with wire so the edges were a bit frayed....but the corners are a different story, yes.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I heard that they used to cut some of the early cards with wire so the edges were a bit frayed....but the corners are a different story, yes.

Yes, OPC from about 1985 and earlier were cut with a wire - that would get dull over time - and leave jagged edges on cards. If you are grading older OPC cards, you should always send to PSA for this reason. Unlike Beckett, PSA will take into account available technology when grading cards. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, Wilbur said:

Not too bad so far.  All those cards, so far are from three sources

1.  My half of the collection (shared with brother) growing up.  Most of the mid 80s to early 90s cards came from that (plus a few from the late 2000s).

2.  Wiser's Wide World of Collectables in Langley.  Most of the cards from the 70s to early 80s you see there are from there.  They had a (1000 count?) box full of just Canucks.  I bought a very generous stack there for a reasonable price.

3.  Sportlots.com - for filling in gaps.  Most common cards sell for $0.18 USD.  For hockey, there are plenty of sellers from Canada.  The trick is to get enough cards from 1 seller to make shipping cheaper.  I generally could get 25 cards for less than $10 after exchange and shipping  fairly easily.

I want to try comc.com eventually as they have certain cards that I'll need that Sportlots does not (not sure if anyone here has every ordered from there?).  I use that site to actually see what the card looks like before I order it from Sportlots.

By my count I need 77 more.  My goal for this time next year is to maybe get half of those (heh, once again pace myself).  At some point I'll go through my list of Canucks that don't have cards and double check there aren't any other "Mario Marois's" out there (those that are in a Canuck jersey but the card says a different team because they got traded).  Of course there will be cards for new Canucks too.  Currently Bailey, Benn, Juolevi, DiPietro, Fantenberg, Domingue, Graovac, and Leivo do not have cards as a Canuck.  I'm sure 20/21 sets will include a few of those.

They tricky ones will be players that only have their cards from "Team Sets" or Mike Keane whose only card in a Canuck jersey is from a set Sav-On-Foods released.  Not sure where I'll find those.

Regardless, it has been a lot of fun putting this together and I'm sure will be fun to keep up with as new Canucks come about (my way of collecting cards without splurging on boxes, etc).

who do you still need? i have many canuck cards from the 70’s and 80’s. but no rookie cards. 

1 hour ago, taxi said:

Thanks.  yep, will probably end up getting this graded but need to decide how I'm going to send it to PSA.  Or should I use KSA?  Not sure if I want to sell it though.  I'm receptive to selling my Mario Lemieux rookie though.  Its in way better shape and will grade to over 8.  Could get about a grand for that one.

Yeah, if the corners were sharper, this would be fetching well over 5 grand.  

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

who do you still need? i have many canuck cards from the 70’s and 80’s. but no rookie cards. 

Only Canucks I'm missing from the 70s and 80s are the players where their only card is from a source other than Topps/OPC.  I've gotten a few of them but still need the likes of Jim Agnew, Ken Berry, Glen Cochrane, Taylor Hall, Stu Kulak, Ken Lockett, Michel Petit, Doug Smith, Doug Wickenheiser, and Wendell Young.  Most of those are from "Team Sets" put out by Shell and Mohawk.  It seems the Shell ones are "easier" to find online than the Mohawk ones.  Other than that it's basically a who's who of guys that have played a handful of games in the 2000s and beyond (think Mario Bliznak, Griffen Molino, etc).  I'll post my list.  The hardest I'm still thinking will be Andrey Pedan.  Looks like his only Canuck card is a limited quantity Jersey card.  Only 39 to go! 

Heh, at least until UD Series 2 comes out.  I'm sure Holtby and Schmidt will have Canuck cards by then.

No cards.docx

Edited by Wilbur

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t think i have any your missing but lots you do have. i’ve never seen a tracy pratt card or mike robit....i forget how to spell it. they both came over from buffalo. 

Oddly enough with 181 games played each, they are side by side in the binder.

Spoiler

388893106_Page15.thumb.jpg.cd4c495ce01b9e086a931cc81803a213.jpg

Gotta say, that year was not a good one for card layouts.  Not very creative.

Edited by Wilbur

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

does anyone know if they made hockey cards of the canucks when they were in the whl or pchl? for guys like andy bathgate or larry popein? i don’t even remember what those jersey’s looked like.

I got a real kick out of Don Cherry telling the story about Pollack calling him in to tell him he was sending him to the minors. Some how Don thought it was to Pittsburg but it was actually Spokane. All he could do was talk about Madigan scaring the crap out of him. He played a full year in Spokane and half a season with the WHL Canucks in

68-69.  I miss Don on TV. He had some great stories. 

On 12/22/2020 at 8:47 AM, coho8888 said:

Thanks.  yep, will probably end up getting this graded but need to decide how I'm going to send it to PSA.  Or should I use KSA?  Not sure if I want to sell it though.  I'm receptive to selling my Mario Lemieux rookie though.  Its in way better shape and will grade to over 8.  Could get about a grand for that one.

Yeah, if the corners were sharper, this would be fetching well over 5 grand.  

Don't send anything to ksa if your goal is to add value. They are local and quick and okay got ordinal personal display. They have a reputation for being inconsistent and won't add much demand to the card.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, Wilbur said:

Oddly enough with 181 games played each, they are side by side in the binder.

Reveal hidden contents

388893106_Page15.thumb.jpg.cd4c495ce01b9e086a931cc81803a213.jpg

Gotta say, that year was not a good one for card layouts.  Not very creative.

If you're ever looking for modern base cards let me know. I give away boxes of these every year. If you can pay for shipping or pickup, they're all yours.

Edited by taxi

23 minutes ago, taxi said:

If you're ever looking for modern base cards let me know. I give away boxes of these every year. If you can pay for shipping or pickup, they're all yours.

Thanks for the offer!  I held off on buying much this year since they raised the price of a UD hobby box to 160 this year.  The lafrieniere hype I guess plus they supposedly shortprinted due to COVID.  I did get 5 of those Walmart mega boxes on their Black Friday sale.  

Question for those that are family with Upper Deck's SP Game Used series.  The only Andrey Pedan card as a Canuck apparently from 2015-2016 SP game used.  Beckett has his card listed as #228 (https://www.beckett.com/hockey/2015-16/sp-game-used/228-andrey-pedan29-rcinserted-in-2015-16-upper-deck-portfolio-12996596)

Apparently it's limited to 29 cards (as UD limited the #'s to the player jersey number).  But when I look up the Checklist for the set on either the Beckett site or Cardboard Connections the set checklist only goes up to 200.  I've never seen a picture of the card, so I'm kinda wondering if Beckett made an error.