The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Polls] 2019 UFA - DEFENSE WISH LIST -- Deep pick scouting, and all things D discussion welcome too.

Which D do you want to sign in July?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here is a list of who I consider the desirable UFA D.

ERIK KARLSSON #65

San Jose Sharks

Right Defense
Cap Hit: $6,500,000

JAKE GARDINER #51

Toronto Maple Leafs

Left Defense
Cap Hit: $4,050,000

TYLER MYERS #57

Winnipeg Jets

Right Defense
Cap Hit: $5,500,000

ALEXANDER EDLER #23

Vancouver Canucks

Alternate Captain
Left Defense
Cap Hit: $5,000,000

PATRIK NEMETH #12

Colorado Avalanche

Left Defense
Cap Hit: $2,500,000

Not a lot of D UFA this season.
Obviously, Karlsson is going to be the go to player, let alone D at the UFA bonanza.
I hope that the Canucks make him a nice offer, and try to get this D system moving in the right direction with a very high end playing mentor.
No offense to Edler, but I would take Karlsson in a heartbeat for playing mentor role.
Problem is going to be how much for how long?  11mil per season, for 7 years?  Match Doughty's numbers exactly?  He would be 36 when it ended.

Maybe we can get both?  Edler for 2 years. Karlsson for 7... 
The Pettersson effect is yet to be determined in UFA season, but I am willing to bet, in the next few seasons, we are going to have endless UFA knocking on our door.

Who would you want?

Vote in the polls.

If other, please link to who you would choose, and why?  I am interested in upcoming NCAA and Euro league deep scouting picks here too.

Anyone but Edler, its time to move on. We have Hughes who is suppose to be a top pair generational D, Juolevi should be a top 4 and Hutton as our lefties. Sign a veteran LHD for a cheap 1yr deal then focus more so on the RHD, go after the big fish in Karlsson be dumb not to try get him.

Look to trade Tanev at the draft, his game has fallen plus he always gets hurt. So try to move him for a young RHD prospect or some picks with conditions.

Time to enter a new ERA on D. Growing pains will happen yes, but our D has been a mess for years....so lets just keep all the old guys around....ya thats been working amazing!

I think Edler gets signed regardless.  It's a matter of hammering out the deal.  Benning didn't sound urgent at all about getting him signed by the TDL. I suspect he was occupied with TDL matters so I'm not concerned about this at all.

I would really like a right hander signed and I would rather sign a good, not great D for cap reasons, I think Myers should be the target from your list

The defensive makeover that Benning referred to I think depends on how well Hughes performs in the last few games of the season

Edler resigned, pairs with Sautner (1st pairing...later 2nd)

Hughes in; sign Tyler Myers (2nd pairing...initially)

Hutton and Stetch are back (3rd pairing)

Brisebois and Schenn are the depth

Tanev gets moved in off-season, likely at the draft. Pouliott is gone, I really don't care but something would be nice. Biega ends up in Utica, captain material and coaching in his future. Juolevi starts in Utica, but probably takes over for Sautner by mid-season; Brisebois becomes trade bait at that point, as we probably will have a draft pick (or two, or three) showing their future worth, and Chatfield along with Rathbone and/or Brassard become the immediate future depth

No interest at all in gardiner or Myers 

gardiner is gonna Command 6m+ for a guy who throws pizzas up the middle very game

myers plays is in a sheltered role in wpg and isn’t much of an upgrade on tanev or edler 

Karlsson is the only D I’d take a run at if the contract isn’t atrocious for a 29 year old 

i think we sign edler

and 1 other depth solid vet dman to cover for injuries to tanev/edler

not sure who that might be. but not meyers or gardiner . both are over rated

though a tad risky

we need both hughes and joulevi to make it next year

ps i hate polls that require a response to every question

please allow us to skip a question we do not wish to respond to

I would love for the team to pick up Karlsson.  Then either re-sign Edler for a discount and trade away Tanev, or just let Edler walk and keep Tanev.  This would allow an easier transition for Hughes and allow OJ to recover back in the AHL plus other defenseman to stew a bit more there.  

Be even better if Tryamkin returns.  

Edler-Karlsson

Tryamkin-Hughes

Stecher-Hutton

Schenn/Biega/Sautner

Suddenly the defense core seems more legit.  

Well, NCAA guys will be signed before July 1. I'm hoping the Canucks go all in on Joseph Duszak. He's having a helluva year at Merceyhurst. The other NCAA d-men that I like (in no particular order) are Bo Hanson (St. Lawrence University, a shutdown d-man who is mobile... in his second year so he might go back for a third), Brinson Pasichnuk (Arizona State, puck moving mobile defenseman, I really like him, Captain of Arizona State, second in points, and he's a teammate of Johnny Walker who is a highly touted College UFA winger this NCAA free agent season), Cooper Zech (Ferris State University, short d-man, but he's put up points wherever he goes, strugged in USHL but rebounded huge in the BCHL last season), Jimmy Schuldt (Highly touted NCAA d-man St. Cloud University, has been drawing NHL interest in years, we seem to always be bridesmaids to this kind of NCAA free agent), and Jack Ahcan (Jimmy Schuldt's teammate at St. Cloud, offensive minded, mobile, short but dependable, gives me Stecher vibes).

The big fish for the Canucks -- and they must try and go for him -- is Oliwer Kaski in the Liiga. He's a huge defenseman (6'3") and he's putting up big points in the Liiga this year. He'd be a coup for our defense core and if he and Juolevi can develop chemistry -- we could have a solid Finnish d-pairing for years to come. Oli Juolevi may be the draw to get him to sign with the Canucks. But I'd argue Kaski is a bigger target than any of the NCAA guys. He'd be an upgrade over Pouliot/Sautner/Schenn/Biega. At 23, he also doesn't need marinating in the AHL and can make an NHL impact beginning this Fall.

Tryamkin probably returns in 2020 but never say never. With Guddy off to the Pens, and the Canucks maybe being the market for a big guy, and rumors that Tryamkin has been a healthy scratch in the KHL... he could return this summer. Hard to say. Tryamkin will do better in Green's system over Willie D's system, that's for sure.

Out of our d-men, I think Brassard gets a deal and they let Gunnarsson walk. We lose them on June 1st. I just see Brassard having a little more upside. Gunnarsson sort of seems like he'd have been a good d-man in the NHL 10 years ago. Gunnarsson also has no offensive upside and only has 1 point this season, though he only sits at a -2 (a career low in +/- for him). But with the Canucks lack of defensive depth... the truth is... both guys would be assets in Utica. It's just a matter of how to work them in/50 contract limit. We don't need to worry about Utunen and Rathbone until next year. Same with Woo.

Erik Karlsson is the big free agent we should target if he's available. I think the promise of going back to Canada (his wife is from Ottawa), the Swedish connection (Pettersson, probably Edler, and legacy Swedes such as The Sedins, Thomas Gradin), and to be a #1 may tempt him. Plus we have the cap to do it. Myers would be my #2 but he worries me. I can see the Canucks re-signing Luke Schenn to a 1 year minimum deal for depth but honestly I'd like to see Ashton Sautner become our #7th d-man next year.

But the Canucks defense needs to be addressed this Summer and like our forward group, going younger may be the solution to our problems.

What is the status of Tryamkins contract? My understanding is he is under contract until the end of next season in Russia. Is that true? and Does that mean there is 0 chance of him returning for next season? Would he be able to kind of defect from the league, or get released? I'm honestly not sure.

Right now we got 

Edler - (_____)

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi / Tryamkin

I for one think Tryamkin would be the perfect third pairing guy for us, especially with Gudbranson leaving. He is everything we wanted Gudbranson to be and more already. A left side of Edler, Hughes, Tryamkin is much more appealing to me than Edler, Hughes, Hutton, or Edler Hughes Juolevi.

I also put that top spot as open because our number 1 goal this season should be to acquire a First pairing RHD with offensive upside. Erik Karlsson is the perfect fit for what we're looking for. I say pay him whatever he wants.

If we had a defensive core of

Edler - Karlsson

Hughes - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stecher

That would be a dangerous squad... I want that squad. I actually think we have a good shot at doing it. 

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

With Markstrom emergence as a #1, perhaps the need for a hot young goalie (Demko) is lessened a bit?

Would a trade like Demko (VAN) for Fabbro (NSH) make sense? 

I think it's a little too early to give up on Demko.  With the way Markstrom has evolved, and with Demko having a near lost season, going forward, I think a Marky-Demko tandem would become a strength for the team.  Also Demko's struggles with injury and playing time would probably allow the Canucks to sign him for a modest cap hit...say two years at $1.0 million cap hit.  That would be about $4.7M committed to goalies next season.  A good number I'd say.

I'm hoping Tryamkin is back in 2020-2021 season.  He would be a definite asset, IMHO.  Would love to see Karlsson signed, but that would be really expensive.  If Hughes' pro development is rapid, then Karlsson may become redundant in a few seasons...and the other thing about Karlsson is that he's injury prone (imagine how more he'd be on the shelf with the Canucks' injury curse). 

7 hours ago, billabong said:

gardiner is gonna Command 6m+ for a guy who throws pizzas up the middle very game

myers plays is in a sheltered role in wpg and isn’t much of an upgrade on tanev or edler 

Karlsson is the only D I’d take a run at if the contract isn’t atrocious for a 29 year old 

Disagree on Myers, he's not 'sheltered' he is just behind Buff and Trouba who is much younger and part of their long term plan. We are very weak on the right side. As a second pair RD he's exactly what we need. He'll come at 60% of the price of Karlson, is 6'8 and can move and has offensive upside along with a cannon of a shot. He's exactly what we need.

5 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

What is the status of Tryamkins contract? My understanding is he is under contract until the end of next season in Russia. Is that true? and Does that mean there is 0 chance of him returning for next season? Would he be able to kind of defect from the league, or get released? I'm honestly not sure.

Right now we got 

Edler - (_____)

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi / Tryamkin

I for one think Tryamkin would be the perfect third pairing guy for us, especially with Gudbranson leaving. He is everything we wanted Gudbranson to be and more already. A left side of Edler, Hughes, Tryamkin is much more appealing to me than Edger, Hughes, Hutton, or Edler Hughes Juolevi.

I also put that top spot as open because our number 1 goal this season should be to acquire a First pairing RHD with offensive upside. Erik Karlsson is the perfect fit for what we're looking for. I say pay him whatever he wants.

If we had a defensive core of

Edler - Karlsson

Hughes - Tanev

Tryamkin - Stecher

That would be a dangerous squad... I want that squad. I actually think we have a good shot at doing it. 

Yes one more year on his contract. But it can be bought out. Teams can't buy it out but the player can. So basically, the Nucks sign him with an extra kick on the signing bonus and he pays to get out of his contract, Very easy, question is whether JB is considering it or they just want to wait.

5 hours ago, BPA said:

With Markstrom emergence as a #1, perhaps the need for a hot young goalie (Demko) is lessened a bit?

Would a trade like Demko (VAN) for Fabbro (NSH) make sense? 

Not for Nashville.  Rinne is signed for another 2 years and Saros has already been named his replacement.  

They also need Fabbro with the expansion draft coming and their Ds ageing.  They have no other top-4 D prospect in the pipeline and they say it takes at least 4 years to develop Ds.  Their beat writer Vingan predicts that they will trade Subban before his contract is up. 

5 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Disagree on Myers, he's not 'sheltered' he is just behind Buff and Trouba who is much younger and part of their long term plan. We are very weak on the right side. As a second pair RD he's exactly what we need. He'll come at 60% of the price of Karlson, is 6'8 and can move and has offensive upside along with a cannon of a shot. He's exactly what we need.

“What we need” is a puck moving, right shot, 40 point, pp quarterback with a big shot. Myers isn’t that. He’s a solid dman, just not what the doctor prescribed. 

barrie, risto, spurgeon and karlsson are guys who are gonna be shopped at the draft or UFA targets and who fill that need. 

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

if we wade in to that pool and doesn't cost too much on term or dollars I say Gardiner and Myers would be targets even though I would take Trouba over Myers anyday.

Trouba is still a RFA with one year left.  Will be interesting if they can extend him or not.  They have limited cap space and he wants to get paid.  Word has also been that he wants to return to the States.

17 hours ago, billabong said:

This team has serious depth issues at the top of the forward group and the top of the defense group.

We have tons of bottom 6 wingers and bottom 4 D.  We just don't have many high quality 1st line type wingers nor 1st pairing type D.

Therefore, I have decided we need to go after Karlsson. An Edler Karlsson pairing would give us a legit top pairing D. We have plenty of other D that could fill in below them.

That same reasoning says we need to get a very good winger or two. I am not sure who that is though if we are talking about UFA wingers this summer (Panarin, Anders Lee, Ferland).

I guess I would love it if we could get Erik Karlsson and Anders Lee (LW to play with Petey, 6'3" 230lbs).  Either one will be very difficult to get if they even get to free agency.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion/Polls] 2019 UFA - DEFENSE WISH LIST -- Deep pick scouting, and all things D discussion welcome too.

Archived