The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Polls] 2019 UFA - DEFENSE WISH LIST -- Deep pick scouting, and all things D discussion welcome too.

Which D do you want to sign in July?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Quantum said:

Well, NCAA guys will be signed before July 1. I'm hoping the Canucks go all in on Joseph Duszak. He's having a helluva year at Merceyhurst. The other NCAA d-men that I like (in no particular order) are Bo Hanson (St. Lawrence University, a shutdown d-man who is mobile... in his second year so he might go back for a third), Brinson Pasichnuk (Arizona State, puck moving mobile defenseman, I really like him, Captain of Arizona State, second in points, and he's a teammate of Johnny Walker who is a highly touted College UFA winger this NCAA free agent season), Cooper Zech (Ferris State University, short d-man, but he's put up points wherever he goes, strugged in USHL but rebounded huge in the BCHL last season), Jimmy Schuldt (Highly touted NCAA d-man St. Cloud University, has been drawing NHL interest in years, we seem to always be bridesmaids to this kind of NCAA free agent), and Jack Ahcan (Jimmy Schuldt's teammate at St. Cloud, offensive minded, mobile, short but dependable, gives me Stecher vibes).

The big fish for the Canucks -- and they must try and go for him -- is Oliwer Kaski in the Liiga. He's a huge defenseman (6'3") and he's putting up big points in the Liiga this year. He'd be a coup for our defense core and if he and Juolevi can develop chemistry -- we could have a solid Finnish d-pairing for years to come. Oli Juolevi may be the draw to get him to sign with the Canucks. But I'd argue Kaski is a bigger target than any of the NCAA guys. He'd be an upgrade over Pouliot/Sautner/Schenn/Biega. At 23, he also doesn't need marinating in the AHL and can make an NHL impact beginning this Fall.

Tryamkin probably returns in 2020 but never say never. With Guddy off to the Pens, and the Canucks maybe being the market for a big guy, and rumors that Tryamkin has been a healthy scratch in the KHL... he could return this summer. Hard to say. Tryamkin will do better in Green's system over Willie D's system, that's for sure.

Out of our d-men, I think Brassard gets a deal and they let Gunnarsson walk. We lose them on June 1st. I just see Brassard having a little more upside. Gunnarsson sort of seems like he'd have been a good d-man in the NHL 10 years ago. Gunnarsson also has no offensive upside and only has 1 point this season, though he only sits at a -2 (a career low in +/- for him). But with the Canucks lack of defensive depth... the truth is... both guys would be assets in Utica. It's just a matter of how to work them in/50 contract limit. We don't need to worry about Utunen and Rathbone until next year. Same with Woo.

Erik Karlsson is the big free agent we should target if he's available. I think the promise of going back to Canada (his wife is from Ottawa), the Swedish connection (Pettersson, probably Edler, and legacy Swedes such as The Sedins, Thomas Gradin), and to be a #1 may tempt him. Plus we have the cap to do it. Myers would be my #2 but he worries me. I can see the Canucks re-signing Luke Schenn to a 1 year minimum deal for depth but honestly I'd like to see Ashton Sautner become our #7th d-man next year.

But the Canucks defense needs to be addressed this Summer and like our forward group, going younger may be the solution to our problems.

Excellent write up.  Thanks!!

Other posters have said that Tryamkin's team had too many D so many of them rotated through healthy scratches to give them time off...he wasn't being scratched because of his play supposedly.

Thanks for the info on Oliwer Kaski.  I am gonna go do some reading about him. 

Cheers.

8 hours ago, billabong said:

“What we need” is a puck moving, right shot, 40 point, pp quarterback with a big shot. Myers isn’t that. He’s a solid dman, just not what the doctor prescribed. 

barrie, risto, spurgeon and karlsson are guys who are gonna be shopped at the draft or UFA targets and who fill that need. 

Barrie might be the cheapest of that list to acquire. But I would think Av's wait to see how Makar does before they move on from Barrie. Also, not to nit pick size but can we ice 3 D the size of barrie hughes and stecher?

8 hours ago, billabong said:

“What we need” is a puck moving, right shot, 40 point, pp quarterback with a big shot. Myers isn’t that. He’s a solid dman, just not what the doctor prescribed. 

barrie, risto, spurgeon and karlsson are guys who are gonna be shopped at the draft or UFA targets and who fill that need. 

Barrie might be the cheapest of that list to acquire. But I would think Av's wait to see how Makar does before they move on from Barrie. Also, not to nit pick size but can we ice 3 D the size of barrie hughes and stecher?

We have yet to see what the "Pettersson Effect" is going to be in drawing in high end UFAs.

This effect will grow for several more years.  Karlsson, is just the first year.

Long term UFA prospect list (will all still be under 30 at time of UFA)

2020-21

Brenden Dillon - SJ

TJ Brodie - Cal

Torey Krug - Bos

Jared Spurgeon - Min

Tyson Barrie - Col

Sami Vaatanen - NJ

Justin Faulk - Car

2021-22

Adam Larsson - Edm

Alex Pietrangelo - StL

Roman Josi - Nash

Dougie Hamilton - Car

2022-23

John Klingberg - Dal

Colin Miller - Vegas

Rasmus Ristolainen - Buf

Seth Jones - BJs

Morgan Reilly - Tor

Shoudl have two options for FA pick ups.  

Re signing Edler should be a top priority if he gives the home town discount.  

The other guy I want is Myers.  He will be half the cost of EK and provide a huge stabilizing factor on our back end.  

EK is also on the wish list, but it all comes down to price.  I see this team as heading to Cap trouble with Boeser and EP40 due soon. 

Jett Woo, OJ, Quinn and Rathbone are all good looking prospects.  

On 2/28/2019 at 7:07 PM, Father Ryan said:

Edler resigned, pairs with Sautner (1st pairing...later 2nd)

Hughes in; sign Tyler Myers (2nd pairing...initially)

Hutton and Stetch are back (3rd pairing)

Brisebois and Schenn are the depth

Tanev gets moved in off-season, likely at the draft. Pouliott is gone, I really don't care but something would be nice. Biega ends up in Utica, captain material and coaching in his future. Juolevi starts in Utica, but probably takes over for Sautner by mid-season; Brisebois becomes trade bait at that point, as we probably will have a draft pick (or two, or three) showing their future worth, and Chatfield along with Rathbone and/or Brassard become the immediate future depth

Yes to Edler no more than 6 mill 2 years

Yes to Myers no more than 6 mill 5 years

Yes to Sautner 

Yes to Schenn

Yes to Hughes

Yes to Hutton

Trade Tanev, Stecher , Pouliott  

Add Brassard and  Stralman and (Holl Trade with Toronto)

Stralman 3 years 6 mil

Edler ---- Stralman

Hughes ---- Myers

Hutton ----- Holl

Sautner ----- Schenn

Brisebois ------ Brassard ready in Utica

Draft the following  Bryam , or  Broberg or both

So first thing to all of you that have not done this...but try to get us 4 LHD and 4 RHD......

Elder 3yr deal?...............Karlsson........7 year deal

Hughes..........................Tryamkin

Hutton............................Stetcher

Brisebois/Saunter..............Tanev

So, I obviously want Karlson and Tryamkin signed

I would like a ncaa/european ufa brought into the system

I want Juolevi doing heavy minutes in Utica

I want Woo dominate in the will and world

I want the Canucks to pick 1 of their first 2 picks

I want the Canucks to have prepared for Tanevs replacement for Christmas TDL

I also want to see how Pearson plays the rest of the year....is he a 1st or a 2hd LWer? We need to knowl

The a LW drafted in the First round...?.....Boldly, Krebs, etc

Then if the apologist say we can afford a  LWer Firland/Simmons...I would take one of them too

We need to have a succession plan

Would it be better to have 8D (4 pairings)? And rotate them?  Keep them fresh, rest when needed ,etc.

The games changed from the clutching and grabbing to more skating, positioning and joining the rush.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:41 PM, janisahockeynut said:

So first thing to all of you that have not done this...but try to get us 4 LHD and 4 RHD......

Elder 3yr deal?...............Karlsson........7 year deal

Hughes..........................Tryamkin

Hutton............................Stetcher

Brisebois/Saunter..............Tanev

You tell people to try and get 4 LHD and 4 RHD, but then you list 5 LHD and 3 RHD :picard:, Tryamkin is a LHD.  

All this hype for Tryamkin is a bit overblown, he wasn’t Chara when he left and he probably won’t be Chara when/if he returns. We might be more likely to trade his rights when he comes back. 

As for Edler, we need to re-sign him without giving him a NMC or NTC regardless of how many years he signs for, preferably 2 years but 3 years max. Once signed without a NTC he instantly becomes a future asset that can be dealt. 

I don’t think having a left side consisting of Edler, Hughes, Hutton and Juolevi is too bad at all. If we don’t get a top 2-3 pick in the draft maybe we can pick up a Dman like Byram or Broberg. 

The right side is our biggest issue, which is why trading Tanev is so hard for management to do, I think. He probably isn’t worth as much to other teams as he is to our team. I would look to sign Myers rather than Karlsson, just because I don’t want to have Karlsson’s big contract on the team. Management apparently likes Chatfield and Woo has been performing well but is probably 2-3 years away. That’s already super thin and it doesn’t get any better. Schenn and Biega might be battling it out for the for our 7-8th D spot next year, splitting time between Utica and Vancouver. 

I had never heard of this Oliwer Kaski guy before but I’m intrigued and all for taking a shot on him in Free Agency, we have money and a spot on D available for him. Good find @Quantum, the 1 big year concerns me a bit but we don’t have anything to lose. 

Good discussion points in here but we can’t forget about putting the puck in the net, we only have 3 definitive top 6 forwards right now, so that’s a big problem as well. 

Please not Gardiner.

Karlsson would be good, but he's no spring chicken anymore, and will be asking for all the money. "What'ch you got in yer wallet Jim? I'll take that too"

I don't see Tryamkin coming back, because it sounds like he wants to be in the top pairing without having to earn it. Sounds like Dahlen.

So excited to see a Hughes - Woo pairing in a few years. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion/Polls] 2019 UFA - DEFENSE WISH LIST -- Deep pick scouting, and all things D discussion welcome too.

I am really scared that Karlsson might be on a steady slope to Edler and Tanev (love both of them, by the way) stats in games lost to injury.

I think free agency has hampered the Canucks so much that it may just not be worth it.

I was just on CapFriendly and was looking at Nashville who look to be in cap trouble as early as this summer. They appear to have only $5 million (plus cap increase to sign 5 players). I don't know the whole story and maybe thy have a way out with young players, but still have to sign RJ in a year (not Ryan Johansen).

I believe JMJB was interested in PK Subban before so I could see him making a play again. After this year, 3 more years at $9 million. Now maybe his best years are behind him but ticks off a lot of boxes especially that his contract expires in 3 years when hopefully QH is up for a huge 2nd contract.

To me this is a kind of deal that makes the window open a lot faster for Vancouver while the core is still ultra young and on entry level deals and doesn't hamper cap situation beyond 3 years.

The questions are: Will Poile want to make a deal this summer? He may have Carrier ready this Fall and maybe Frabro is also ready for next season. If so what would it cost?

If Poile wanted to make the deal for cap reasons, would Tanev (50% salary retained) and a 2020 (1st Rd) be enough?They probably ask for Stetcher and at that point is it too much? Would Benning do it? Should he do it?

Edler (2x6) Subban (3x9) =15

Hutton (5x5).  Stetcher (1x 2.35) 7.35

Hughes (3x.925) Stralman (2x6) 6.925

Sautner (1x.675) Biega (1x.850)  1.55

Total: +- 30m for 8 players

Juolevi (AHL) 

I would not throw boat loads of money at Karlsson who will be 29 this year and who has had many injury issues over the past few years.  I would show him the money if he was 3 years younger.  By the time our core has matured and is ready to be a cup contender (about 3 to 4 years from now), Karlsson will be 32 in 3 years and, unless he's lucky, he'll be trending downwards.  

I like Baumer's D plan (mobile, puck moving, quick break-outs, joining the rush) but we don't have the players to play the way he would like us to play - hopefully, soon.  We are almost OK when we have a healthy lineup but we have little D depth.

Before making signings we need to analyze how much cap room we really have. 

Last year we signed Beagle, Roussel, Schiller for a combined nearly 10 million. Roussel has been everything the doctor ordered. The other 2 not so much.. 

When it comes to our defence I’d like to see us leverage cap room in a trade VS signing a guy in free agency. Cal Foote from Tampa Bay would look great in a canucks uniform. 

This is what I would like to see next year:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Stetcher

Joulevi Kaski

Requires a few sigining/re-signings and the biggest element is getting Risto.  In that deal I would be thinking of something along the lines of Hutton, Lind and a 2nd from next year or even a first.  Whatever it takes as he fits the age group better and still has a few years before he even hits his prime.  That is a group that would change the d dynamic for years to come.  Just a note that this would require Juolevi getting regular mins as I am expecting injuries to hit still.

10 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

This is what I would like to see next year:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tanev

Tryamkin Stetcher

Joulevi Kaski

Requires a few sigining/re-signings and the biggest element is getting Risto.  In that deal I would be thinking of something along the lines of Hutton, Lind and a 2nd from next year or even a first.  Whatever it takes as he fits the age group better and still has a few years before he even hits his prime.  That is a group that would change the d dynamic for years to come.  Just a note that this would require Juolevi getting regular mins as I am expecting injuries to hit still.

I like Risto too, but why not keep our assets and sign EK or Meyers instead?

Archived