The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The sign of a good GM is to know when to cut your losses and try something new.  The price we paid for Gudbranson was a bit high, but Benning felt he added an element we didn't have so he made the trade and took the risk.  Guddy unfortunately got worse playing for us not better even though he was still young enough to grow his game.  Nobody knows for sure what happened, most likely his injuries are worse than we know and he can't play the game he used to play.

In any event Benning saw what was happening and flipped him for Pearson, who has been a solid contributor for us, even moreso than McCann is for Pittsburgh.  Pearson is currently playing at a top 6 forward level and playing in all situations.  So it was a great trade for Benning.  Benning may have overpaid for Gudbranson to begin with but made up for it in the second deal.  That's how a good GM does business.  Not even Scotty Bowman won every trade.

I agree, Pearson is pretty much our replacement for McCann in that first trade, a good upgrade quite honestly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I just want to clear things up for all the bloody hate and dislike people have for Guddy and the trade JB made to get him. McCann had 9g 9a in his rookie year and was traded to Florida in the summer after Gudbransons playoffs ended where he was the best player on Florida. He was heavily leaned on in their series vs NYI, he had the most TOI in the majority of the games played. Which he earned increasing responsibility in each game.

Game 1 - 20:49  PP :29  PK 1:02

Game 2 - 24:04  PP :00  PK 3:48 he had 3 more min TOI than Ekblad.

Game 3 - 25:06 PP :33  PK 3:22

Game 4 - 22:34 PP :45  PK 4:29

Game 5 - 33:55 PP :08  PK 6:15

Game 6 - 34:56 PP :05  PK 2:21

In 6 games he had hardly any PP time to inflate his TOI numbers, Ekblad had tons of PP time and little to no PK time.
His total time on the PP in 6 games was 2 minutes. His time on the PK in 6 games....TWENTY-ONE MINUTES AND 17 SECONDS.

In game 6 he had 6-7 minutes more TOI than every dman except Brian Campbell who played 1:48 less than Guddy.

I remember watching their playoffs and seeing how damn good Gudbranson was for Florida and how heavily they relied on him in important situations, I was absolutely losing my mind when we traded for him. Its unfortunate his time here didnt go as great, but I believe the lack of quality players up and down the roster, the goaltending struggles where Marky and Nilly were giving up the weakest effing goals on the first damn shot of the game did not help. Guddy took a lot of the fall being on the ice chewing up lots of minutes for goalies who couldnt make a save, or forwards that were a liabilities as well.

The price we paid for the dman that was on display, for a player with 9g and 9a in his rookie season with a chip on the shoulder, arrogant, selfish, bad attitude, was a low price. He struggled in Florida and was sent to the minors and is now on his 3rd NHL team...... Its moot point now, but at the time that looked like highway robbery by JB.

Hindsight is 20/20. Some things just dont work out and some teams arent the right fit.

Guddy was given tons of responsibility in big games, but that's six games, not 100. I actually had more of an issue that we also gave up a 2nd and a 4th rounder to boot. Gudbranson was a young defenseman who was a high draft pick and although his career had started off slowly, it did look like he might be finally taking another step, though that was only based on those six games. In the 2015-16 regular season, he averaged just over 20 minutes a game, which was in stark contrast to the nearly 27 minutes he averaged in the playoffs.

EDIT: I've done some more research and It's worth noting that OT games also majorly influence the heavy amounts of time played. Game 3 went to 1st OT and both of games 5 and 6 went to 2OT. His minutes in relation to his fellow Panthers d-men seems to fluctuate:

Game 1: 3rd

Game 2: 1st

Game 3: 4th

Game 4: 3rd

Game 5: 1st

Game 6: 1st

The point still stands that he was relied on heavily, mostly in defensive situations, as can be insinuated by his offensive zone start % in those games.

All in all, it really seems like Benning took a big gamble on six strong important games from Guddy that were in contrast to his regular season history. Unfortunately, we never got to see Gudbranson in the playoffs with the Canucks, so maybe he would've hit another level again, but we'll never know. 

In some ways, I can see why Benning was high of Gudbranson:

- Former 3rd overall pick

- Still relatively young at 24

- Coming off a strong 6 playoff games that could imply an impending breakout season

- The right age for a player to hit their peak

Still, I feel that Benning probably put too much stock into the 6 games and got burned badly for it. Fortunately, he's made up for it with numerous other great trades, including the acquisition of Pearson for Gudbranson, which is looking like highway robbery at this point.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, shad0w4life said:

Wonder if we can trade him for a 1st  and second round pick now that he's on pace to put up better #s than JT Miller before we traded for him :D 

If we were rebuilding I'd do it in a heartbeat.

We aren't though, we're trying to compete for a playoff spot.

If we managed to get rid of Eriksson I would want us to re-sign him. Only 27 years old.

• 1 month later...

Tanner Pearson moved into 140th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

139.  Anson Carter RW 81 33 22 55
140.  Tanner Pearson LW 83 28 27 55
141.  Peter McNab C 88 24 31 55
142.  J.J. Daigneault D 131 9 46 55

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 6:17 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The sign of a good GM is to know when to cut your losses and try something new.  The price we paid for Gudbranson was a bit high, but Benning felt he added an element we didn't have so he made the trade and took the risk.  Guddy unfortunately got worse playing for us not better even though he was still young enough to grow his game.  Nobody knows for sure what happened, most likely his injuries are worse than we know and he can't play the game he used to play.

In any event Benning saw what was happening and flipped him for Pearson, who has been a solid contributor for us, even moreso than McCann is for Pittsburgh.  Pearson is currently playing at a top 6 forward level and playing in all situations.  So it was a great trade for Benning.  Benning may have overpaid for Gudbranson to begin with but made up for it in the second deal.  That's how a good GM does business.  Not even Scotty Bowman won every trade.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:43 PM, knucklehead91 said:

I just want to clear things up for all the bloody hate and dislike people have for Guddy and the trade JB made to get him. McCann had 9g 9a in his rookie year and was traded to Florida in the summer after Gudbransons playoffs ended where he was the best player on Florida. He was heavily leaned on in their series vs NYI, he had the most TOI in the majority of the games played. Which he earned increasing responsibility in each game.

Game 1 - 20:49  PP :29  PK 1:02

Game 2 - 24:04  PP :00  PK 3:48 he had 3 more min TOI than Ekblad.

Game 3 - 25:06 PP :33  PK 3:22

Game 4 - 22:34 PP :45  PK 4:29

Game 5 - 33:55 PP :08  PK 6:15

Game 6 - 34:56 PP :05  PK 2:21

In 6 games he had hardly any PP time to inflate his TOI numbers, Ekblad had tons of PP time and little to no PK time.
His total time on the PP in 6 games was 2 minutes. His time on the PK in 6 games....TWENTY-ONE MINUTES AND 17 SECONDS.

In game 6 he had 6-7 minutes more TOI than every dman except Brian Campbell who played 1:48 less than Guddy.

I remember watching their playoffs and seeing how damn good Gudbranson was for Florida and how heavily they relied on him in important situations, I was absolutely losing my mind when we traded for him. Its unfortunate his time here didnt go as great, but I believe the lack of quality players up and down the roster, the goaltending struggles where Marky and Nilly were giving up the weakest effing goals on the first damn shot of the game did not help. Guddy took a lot of the fall being on the ice chewing up lots of minutes for goalies who couldnt make a save, or forwards that were a liabilities as well.

The price we paid for the dman that was on display, for a player with 9g and 9a in his rookie season with a chip on the shoulder, arrogant, selfish, bad attitude, was a low price. He struggled in Florida and was sent to the minors and is now on his 3rd NHL team...... Its moot point now, but at the time that looked like highway robbery by JB.

Hindsight is 20/20. Some things just dont work out and some teams arent the right fit.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:29 AM, -AJ- said:

Guddy was given tons of responsibility in big games, but that's six games, not 100. I actually had more of an issue that we also gave up a 2nd and a 4th rounder to boot. Gudbranson was a young defenseman who was a high draft pick and although his career had started off slowly, it did look like he might be finally taking another step, though that was only based on those six games. In the 2015-16 regular season, he averaged just over 20 minutes a game, which was in stark contrast to the nearly 27 minutes he averaged in the playoffs.

EDIT: I've done some more research and It's worth noting that OT games also majorly influence the heavy amounts of time played. Game 3 went to 1st OT and both of games 5 and 6 went to 2OT. His minutes in relation to his fellow Panthers d-men seems to fluctuate:

Game 1: 3rd

Game 2: 1st

Game 3: 4th

Game 4: 3rd

Game 5: 1st

Game 6: 1st

The point still stands that he was relied on heavily, mostly in defensive situations, as can be insinuated by his offensive zone start % in those games.

All in all, it really seems like Benning took a big gamble on six strong important games from Guddy that were in contrast to his regular season history. Unfortunately, we never got to see Gudbranson in the playoffs with the Canucks, so maybe he would've hit another level again, but we'll never know. 

In some ways, I can see why Benning was high of Gudbranson:

- Former 3rd overall pick

- Still relatively young at 24

- Coming off a strong 6 playoff games that could imply an impending breakout season

- The right age for a player to hit their peak

Still, I feel that Benning probably put too much stock into the 6 games and got burned badly for it. Fortunately, he's made up for it with numerous other great trades, including the acquisition of Pearson for Gudbranson, which is looking like highway robbery at this point.

I posted the following in the Gudbranson thread in the Alumni section, but I will post it here as well:

Gudbranson is a player who I think struggles with handling the big market and media like Vancouver. From the moment he arrived in Vancouver, it seems like he was trying to do too much to prove that he is worth what they have given up for. And from time to time, it does seem like he was paying attention to all the comments and stuffs said about him the Vancouver media. There is no coincidence that he is a better player when he plays for teams like Florida and Anaheim, there are just not as much of a distraction and he can just focus on playing his game. 

As for his brief stint in Pittsburgh, I think the style of play of the Penguins just don't suit him well. They are a fast skating, uptempo, offensive club who plays a speed and skill game which is not very suitable for Gudbranson's style. I still did not understand why Pittsburgh traded for Gudbranson, given his style of play is so far off of their team's model. Gudbranson excels in the trap game (which is the way they play in Anaheim currently)

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I posted the following in the Gudbranson thread in the Alumni section, but I will post it here as well:

Gudbranson is a player who I think struggles with handling the big market and media like Vancouver. From the moment he arrived in Vancouver, it seems like he was trying to do too much to prove that he is worth what they have given up for. And from time to time, it does seem like he was paying attention to all the comments and stuffs said about him the Vancouver media. There is no coincidence that he is a better player when he plays for teams like Florida and Anaheim, there are just not as much of a distraction and he can just focus on playing his game. 

As for his brief stint in Pittsburgh, I think the style of play of the Penguins just don't suit him well. They are a fast skating, uptempo, offensive club who plays a speed and skill game which is not very suitable for Gudbranson's style. I still did not understand why Pittsburgh traded for Gudbranson, given his style of play is so far off of their team's model. Gudbranson excels in the trap game (which is the way they play in Anaheim currently)

I loved that we got Guddy.

But there is no sugar coating it. Florida fans thought, for the most part he sucked.

He was not good at all in Vancouver. In fact, he was bad. Then he was bad in Pitts.

That sums it up imo.

41 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

But there is no sugar coating it. Florida fans thought, for the most part he sucked.

He was not good at all in Vancouver. In fact, he was bad. Then he was bad in Pitts.

That sums it up imo.

Yeah he doesn't suit an uptempo offensive style Florida and we were turning into and that Pittsburgh was. In Anaheim, where they try to play more defensively as a team, he fits in pretty well there.

Glad we were able to turn him around and get Pearson. He's been a quality two-way top 6 forward for us at a great price.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That sums it up imo.

Guddy was so bad that Schenn, for the small amount of time he was a Canuck, had more of an impact than all of Gudbransons seasons here combined

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, shad0w4life said:

Wonder if we can trade him for a 1st  and second round pick now that he's on pace to put up better #s than JT Miller before we traded for him :D 

One of Benning's better trade when he bought low on Pearson with Gudbranson going to Pittsburgh.  If you want to sell high on Tanner, this could be the time to do it.  And if this year's draft is anything like the 2003 draft, getting a 1st and 2nd round pick back wouldn't be a bad idea. 

6 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

One of Benning's better trade when he bought low on Pearson with Gudbranson going to Pittsburgh.  If you want to sell high on Tanner, this could be the time to do it.  And if this year's draft is anything like the 2003 draft, getting a 1st and 2nd round pick back wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Or we could hold onto him and let him help us make a serious drive for that Cup that we've never obtained, rather than trade him for picks and continually remain in rebuilding mode.

7 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

My concern is he's paid a lot of money, so I'm not sure he'd be worth a ton despite his great play. I would agree though that this is probably the peak of his career. I don't expect him to hit 50 points next year.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Is Pearson worth a 1st? If so, I would trade him ASAP. Why? We also free up some cap and Benning wants a 1st this draft. I wouldnt mind packaging say Pearson + 4th for a 1st rd pick. 

I don't think any GM would give up a 1st rounder for Pearson and 4th . Playing with Horvat and his role in Vancouver has been a very good fit..

Don't think you can make trades now?? Trade deadline was end of March and teams are preparing for playoffs?

We need Pearson for playoff run now..

Going to be so strange at this years draft in June? Nobody can trade roster players as they will need them for there playoff hopes...

Trades won't happen until after playoffs in late September?

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Is Pearson worth a 1st? If so, I would trade him ASAP. Why? We also free up some cap and Benning wants a 1st this draft. I wouldnt mind packaging say Pearson + 4th for a 1st rd pick. 

Given his contract and penchant for disappearing (see LA), I think he's worth a late 2nd at best, maybe a 3rd. His stats this year were also inflated by an abnormally high number of empty net points. 

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I don't think any GM would give up a 1st rounder for Pearson and 4th . Playing with Horvat and his role in Vancouver has been a very good fit..

Don't think you can make trades now?? Trade deadline was end of March and teams are preparing for playoffs?

We need Pearson for playoff run now..

Going to be so strange at this years draft in June? Nobody can trade roster players as they will need them for there playoff hopes...

Trades won't happen until after playoffs in late September?

Draft will happen after stanley cup I think. 

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Given his contract and penchant for disappearing (see LA), I think he's worth a late 2nd at best, maybe a 3rd. His stats this year were also inflated by an abnormally high number of empty net points. 

I would do a 2nd if possible. Freeing up the cap will be very useful for signing toff. Would u consider trading Virtanen. I wonder what his value is

54 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Draft will happen after stanley cup I think. 

I would do a 2nd if possible. Freeing up the cap will be very useful for signing toff. Would u consider trading Virtanen. I wonder what his value is

Personally, I'd refrain from trading Jake--His improvement is too exciting to throw away for now. Trading Pearson could indeed make sense if we can get a late 2nd (50-62). I wouldn't be surprised if we had to settle for a third though. We do need the cap space though, so it might be smart (once the play-ins and playoffs are over though, of course).