The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 4/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If that's true, then unless the Canucks trade Virtanen and Gaudette, I guess both have a good chance of being exposed in expansion.

If there really is a strong chance that Beagle will be on LTIR next year, then I assume the Kraken won't bother selecting him.  Roussel is probably going to be exposed but I would be surprised if he's the top candidate for the Kraken.  One of Myers or Schmidt will need to be exposed with my assumption being that it would be Myers, but it could easily be Schmidt if management remains very high on Myers.  Myers also has the advantage of being a RHD.  Holtby will be the last required exposure for the Canucks.

My guess is the Kraken will either go with the exposed Dman or a young forward from the Canucks. Either Schmidt or Myers would be reasonable add for an expansion team.  I would be very surprised if they take Holtby.

I don't mind Pearson overall and the AAV of this contract is somewhat defensible but it still does not feel like the kind of deal that moves the needle forward in any way for the Canucks.

remember the last guyJim called "a Glue Guy"?

he had about 50 games left in his NHL career

given the up and down play of the entire team this season, I am not sure I will ever understand what Jim sees in this "Glue Guys"

• Cheers 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, steviewonder20 said:

According to The Athletic, the Canucks will protect him in the expansion draft.

well I already think Jimmer is stoopit

so it would be redundant to repeat that sentiment

So I guess the only Q I have left is 

why not $6X6?

On 4/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If that's true, then unless the Canucks trade Virtanen and Gaudette, I guess both have a good chance of being exposed in expansion.

Or traded ahead of it. I'd entertain protecting Gaudette as he's still cheap and at least works hard but Virtanen I'd expose all day long.

If there really is a strong chance that Beagle will be on LTIR next year, then I assume the Kraken won't bother selecting him.  Roussel is probably going to be exposed but I would be surprised if he's the top candidate for the Kraken.  One of Myers or Schmidt will need to be exposed with my assumption being that it would be Myers, but it could easily be Schmidt if management remains very high on Myers.  Myers also has the advantage of being a RHD.  Holtby will be the last required exposure for the Canucks.

Exposing Myers makes more sense IMO. 

My guess is the Kraken will either go with the exposed Dman or a young forward from the Canucks. Either Schmidt or Myers would be reasonable add for an expansion team.  I would be very surprised if they take Holtby.

In think it's Myers personally. Too much risk with a bunch of tweener F's who either haven't played at this level or haven't done much at it, if I'm SEA's GM. At least you know you get a second pair, RHD with Myers that's a legit NHL player. And they HAVE to spend $60m+ somewhere...

I don't mind Pearson overall and the AAV of this contract is somewhat defensible but it still does not feel like the kind of deal that moves the needle forward in any way for the Canucks.

It's perfectly fair market value. I'm a touch disappointed we didn't get a bit of hometown/early re-sign discount of a few hundred $K but the hair on fire, torch and pitchfork crowd are, as usual, completely off base.

As for the 'needle', it may not move it forward but it does keep it from falling back. Forward needle movement was always going to come from within. Guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin showing up next year, even guys like Lind, Jasek etc further down the lineup. Pearson helps give them a solid work environment to start in and can slide down the lineup as the climb up. 

Edited by aGENT

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

Or traded ahead of it. I'd entertain protecting Gaudette as he's still cheap and at least works hard but Virtanen I'd expose all day long.

Exposing Myers makes more sense IMO. 

In think it's Myers personally. Too much risk with a bunch of tweener F's who either haven't played at this level or haven't done much at it, if I'm SEA's GM. At least you know you get a second pair, RHD with Myers that's a legit NHL player. And they HAVE to spend $60m+ somewhere...

It's perfectly fair market value. I'm a touch disappointed we didn't get a bit of hometown/early re-sign discount of a few hundred $K but the hair on fire, torch and pitchfork crowd are, as usual, completely off base.

As for the 'needle', it may not move it forward but it does keep it from falling back. Forward needle movement was always going to come from within. Guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin showing up next year, even guys like Lind, Jasek etc further down the lineup. Pearson helps give them a solid work environment to start in and can slide down the lineup as the climb up. 

I guess my feeling on Virtanen is that it would be better to trade him but at this point it really seems like there is basically no real market for him.  Not entirely unsurprising given his performance this season, but he had decent bottom 6 numbers (yes, far below what you would hope for a player drafted where he was) over the past couple seasons.

As for Pearson's contract, hard to know if it's market value this summer since it'll be the second flat cap off-season (e.g. Erik Haula, with a 55 point season not long ago and a 40-50 point pace last season, signed for $1.75M last off-season).  If Pearson was producing at the same clip as last season, then I think it would be closer.  If management was basing Pearson's value on interest in Pearson from trade calls, then I wonder to what degree there is differences in value from trade calls versus what GMs would be willing to sign a player for.  Nick Foligno was basically just acquired for a 1st round pick even with expectation that he will re-sign with CBJ this off-season so at least one GM is willing to pay an extremely high value asset for a player that likely has no future with the team.  Personally I still think Pearson's $ is a fair bit too high unless he can get back to producing at around the same rate as he did last year (although I'm not expecting so many empty net goals for him in one season again).

I agree that ultimately we'll need the needle to be moved forward with our prospects.  It's a fair point and ultimately what the team will have to see.

31 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I guess my feeling on Virtanen is that it would be better to trade him but at this point it really seems like there is basically no real market for him.  Not entirely unsurprising given his performance this season, but he had decent bottom 6 numbers (yes, far below what you would hope for a player drafted where he was) over the past couple seasons.

I wish we'd traded him last year as I'd hoped. But yes, we'd likely need to package him to get any meaningful return. As of right now, I'd simply be happy to reallocate his cap elsewhere and get a guy who's pretty clearly not 'Canuck material', off the club to make room for someone who will actually put the work in and be more than just 'ok'.

As for Pearson's contract, hard to know if it's market value this summer since it'll be the second flat cap off-season (e.g. Erik Haula, with a 55 point season not long ago and a 40-50 point pace last season, signed for $1.75M last off-season).

And a guy like Marcus Foligno with roughly half of Pearson's career average production just signed for $3.1 in January...

If Pearson was producing at the same clip as last season, then I think it would be closer.

What's more likely the norm? An entire career with a ppg just below .5 or a one off, F'd year with a pandemic, where the entire team played like garbage most of it? I think a return to the mean is a pretty safe bet here.

Personally I still think Pearson's $ is a fair bit too high unless he can get back to producing at around the same rate as he did last year (although I'm not expecting so many empty net goals for him in one season again).

In a non Covid landscape, he would have been looking at a moderate raise in the high $3's/low $4's. We got him for ~$750k +/- less than that. Is it the super great 'bargain' deal people (myself included) we're hoping for? Nope. But it's pretty bang on fair market value, even with Covid considered.

I agree that ultimately we'll need the needle to be moved forward with our prospects.  It's a fair point and ultimately what the team will have to see.

Yup, Hughes and Pettersson especially need more miles on them and to get in their actual primes before we REALLY start to make a push. Never mind guys like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi, Rathbone, Lind, Woo etc, etc who aren't even here yet, let alone in their primes. Nothing is going to change that but time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If Pearson has a strong year for the Canucks, then could anyone else see him as a trade chip next summer to try and clear cap room? 

He could still be a useful player for other teams, his cap hit of $3.25M feels a bit high for the Canucks but could be absorbed by other teams (and could have some retention without being very painful) and his NTC only provides 7 teams he cannot be traded to.

Could be interesting to watch since the Canucks could have someone like McDonough make the jump in the next couple of years which could allow for them to move on from Pearson earlier, especially if Gadjovich also makes the jump.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Canuckfan_Brett said:

Put this dude on the 3rd line, for the love of god!

Omg, I have been saying this since day 1… 

Horvat would be more offensive with someone else on his line… Checking line is Dickinsons line.

Top 6 forwards..

Miller — Petey — Garland

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser 

Pearson— Dickinson — Podkolzin….  Motte

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:45 PM, wildcam said:

Omg, I have been saying this since day 1… 

Horvat would be more offensive with someone else on his line… Checking line is Dickinsons line.

Top 6 forwards..

Miller — Petey — Garland

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser 

Pearson— Dickinson — Podkolzin….  Motte

Sorry, the 3rd line is reserved for Podkolzin and Garland. Pearson is just gonna have to work with the second line:lol:

• Vintage 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, Canuckfan_Brett said:

Put this dude on the 3rd line, for the love of god!

They finally listened. Even had some 4th line run.

He reminds me of Chris Higgins from 10 years ago.

Both guys were very streaky scorers more just try hard, high motor 2 way effort guys.

Not the most physical despite both having above average size as wingers.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 11:59 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Hoping Triple B. Big Bruce Boudreau separates Pearson from Horvat.

Pearson is dragging down everyone.

Hoglander-Miller-Garland 

Dickinson-Horvat-Boeser 

Pearson-Petersson-Podkolzin 

Motte-Lammiko-Chaisson

As has been noted by others, Pearson seems to be playing well (for right now) with Miller and Boeser. 3 goals for Boeser in the last four games, and a PP goal by Miller (with Pearson also on the ice).

regards,  G.

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

As has been noted by others, Pearson seems to be playing well (for right now) with Miller and Boeser. 3 goals for Boeser in the last four games, and a PP goal by Miller (with Pearson also on the ice).

regards,  G.

Key point is he is separated from Horvat. For right now he is OK.

Pearson is a trade bait candidate along with everyone else on his current line.

Miller and Boeser are carrying that line specifically JT Miller has turned playmaker.

Hoglander has sparked the line with Horvat and Dickinson is filling the Tanner Pearson role but has brought more speed and hitting.

Garland has been an absolute magician with Petersson and Podkolzin as well.

They are playing about as well as they can collectively right now.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Key point is he is separated from Horvat. For right now he is OK.

Yup. This seems to be good for all concerned, especially Boeser. Horvat seems to be doing well, as is Miller, and Pearson.

Pearson is a trade bait candidate along with everyone else on his current line.

Yup, but in Pearson's case he has a NTC for this year, and a M-NTC for next year, so I don't see him being traded this season unless he absolutely wants to be traded.

Miller and Boeser are carrying that line specifically JT Miller has turned playmaker.

Well, this being said, have you noted the role that Pearson has played in these last four games. He has set up goals, or placed himself in a position where where he can gain possession of the puck, which leads to scoring chances, if not goals (by Boeser and Miller).

Hoglander has sparked the line with Horvat and Dickinson is filling the Tanner Pearson role but has brought more speed and hitting.

Garland has been an absolute magician with Petersson and Podkolzin as well.

They are playing about as well as they can collectively right now.

I agree.

I suppose my issue in this thread is that the argument against Pearson (mostly) seems to be people complaining about his contract, and not necessarily his play. Pearson had no input on his contract other than agreeing to the sum his agent put before him (ie. blame Benning). Pearson does not decide his TOI, or who he has as line mates. If this is a concern for someone then they should complain to the coach. Otherwise, in these last four games, Pearson has played pretty well, based on the success of Boeser and Miller (in which Pearson has played some part).

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
clarity
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how some guys can just play their whole careers on streaks and/or non-streaks, but Pearson is that guy.

There was a stretch a couple years back where he was almost a PPG player over about 50 games.

I think we all thought that guy was never coming back, that he'd played his last hot streak ... but under Boudreau he's 5 points in 7 games.

Could potentially be the start of something.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I'm not sure how some guys can just play their whole careers on streaks and/or non-streaks, but Pearson is that guy.

There was a stretch a couple years back where he was almost a PPG player over about 50 games.

I think we all thought that guy was never coming back, that he'd played his last hot streak ... but under Boudreau he's 5 points in 7 games.

Could potentially be the start of something.

its because hie's responsible without the puck and he can help make his line mates produce. Scoring is streaky but that goes for many players.

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its because hie's responsible without the puck and he can help make his line mates produce. Scoring is streaky but that goes for many players.

His d-side game has probably kept him in the game. He sees the ice well. I am hoping that JR adopts a bit of the old Oilers practice of ‘pump & dump’. IMHO Pearson should be a trade chip. I was hoping that Dickenson would be a candidate to replace Pearson. However, watching him he doesn’t handle the puck as well as Pearson and doesn’t score as well. Pearson, as a 3rd line guy could move up the lines if needed. Dickenson doesn’t seem able to do that on a sustained basis.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

His d-side game has probably kept him in the game. He sees the ice well. I am hoping that JR adopts a bit of the old Oilers practice of ‘pump & dump’. IMHO Pearson should be a trade chip. I was hoping that Dickenson would be a candidate to replace Pearson. However, watching him he doesn’t handle the puck as well as Pearson and doesn’t score as well. Pearson, as a 3rd line guy could move up the lines if needed. Dickenson doesn’t seem able to do that on a sustained basis.

Dickinson seems at his best when he's not trying to do too much.

I don't know that we can actually move Pearson, Hamonic and Dickinson in a flat cap world without using assets to do it, but if it gives us the cap space to improve then I'm all for it as long as its not a silly over payment.

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 1

Shout out for Pearson, taking on a fight after a big hit on Garland. 

Goes to show you don't need designated fighters on the roster taking up a spot, you just need guys who are willing to show up for the dance regardless if they win or not. Pearson did that tonight.