The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 7/1/2023 at 2:18 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting how the team handles this now...if Pearson is not earmarked for LTIR - Canucks really have no more cap space if they fill out a 23 man roster. 

Still have to sign Hirose and Hoglander, will be interesting they they approach the glut of wingers they have. 

Maybe be unpopular and would probably check with Hughes and Petey before doing it make sure it doesnt cause any friction, but I would buy out Pearson. Seems like the only reason this hasn't happened is to avoid being sued. He had a whole year off and 5-7 hand surgery's he wont be the same player when he comes back and even when healthy you could make a case his cap hit exceeded his play. Could replace him with a player making a third of his wage, Hoglander will be better than him this year imo. Canucks cant afford any liabilities out there and need a strong start to the season.

EDIT: Nevermind not sure we get a second buyout window. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe be unpopular and would probably check with Hughes and Petey before doing it make sure it doesnt cause any friction, but I would buy out Pearson. Seems like the only reason this hasn't happened is to avoid being sued. He had a whole year off and 5-7 hand surgery's he wont be the same player when he comes back and even when healthy you could make a case his cap hit exceeded his play. Could replace him with a player making a third of his wage, Hoglander will be better than him this year imo. Canucks cant afford any liabilities out there and need a strong start to the season.

EDIT: Nevermind not sure we get a second buyout window. 

Our buyout window is closed.  If he isn't back to form then we can just waive him and send him to Abby to free up a roster spot.  

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our buyout window is closed.  If he isn't back to form then we can just waive him and send him to Abby to free up a roster spot.  

the roster spot would be freed up but i believe he would still count against the cap no?

32 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

the roster spot would be freed up but i believe he would still count against the cap no?

Yeah all but 1.1 or 1.2 million , whatever the amount is set at currently. Pretty much only enough to bring in a replacement level player. Big risk for a team with no cap space. I dont see how this works out good when the last time he spoke he said he just wants to be able to be a dad again. Its a big jump from being able to be a father to been an effective 3+ million $ NHL player.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah all but 1.1 or 1.2 million , whatever the amount is set at currently. Pretty much only enough to bring in a replacement level player. Big risk for a team with no cap space. I dont see how this works out good when the last time he spoke he said he just wants to be able to be a dad again. Its a big jump from being able to be a father to been an effective 3+ million $ NHL player.

After everything he's been through as well as constantly standing up for teammates absolutely zero reason and zero chance to buy out Pearson. 

If Pearson is actually healthy and able to come back and return to his 2nd line tweener form, I still think he can really help the team. A 3rd line of Pearson-Blueger-Podkolzin could be a fantastic checking and counter attack line. However, it also further emphasizes our dire need to trade some of our redundant wingers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

If Pearson is actually healthy and able to come back and return to his 2nd line tweener form, I still think he can really help the team. A 3rd line of Pearson-Blueger-Podkolzin could be a fantastic checking and counter attack line. However, it also further emphasizes our dire need to trade some of our redundant wingers.

You know what concerns me about Pearson, what attitude he comes back with. After his wrist problem and treatment will he be a positive influence or a nagging nelly in the locker room?

13 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You know what concerns me about Pearson, what attitude he comes back with. After his wrist problem and treatment will he be a positive influence or a nagging nelly in the locker room?

Far as I know, he has no history of attitude issues, so I don't think that's a concern.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Great line Diamonds.  I've always liked Pears; he's a hardworking, true blue guy and a team player (kind of reminds

me of Higgins).

I hope he returns to the lineup and plays like we know he can.

• Cheers 1

I wasn't expecting Pearson to ever really play but boy, what a boost to the team (and knock to our young wingers who want to try to crack the lineup) if he's available. He's only 1 year off a 16G pace. He could be the type of forechecker Tocchet throws up into our top-6. Great PKer too and leader on the ice. I know people ripped him at times (pre-injury) mainly for his cap hit but 3M for a solid third liner with energy who hits and is a playoff performer is a bargain.

I could easily see him slot in next to Miller and Boeser, but also this would be a great 3rd line for energy:

Pearson - Blueger - Garland

I think Beauvillier is really going to have his work cut out for him. He's got to out-work the hardest working guys on this team in Garland, Hoglander, PDG and now maybe even Pearson.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Vancouver is in a jam with this guy. 

Of course they have to play him if he's fit but he's no longer a fit on this team. 

So he has to play for the Canucks to trade him. He has little value right now for a trade. Hell a give away would be ok at this point just for cap space and space for younger players to grow. 

During his tenure he's done little even when healthy. In many ways the team moved on from him while he was injured. Jim Rutherford has already traded this guy once and I can see it again however until that point he needs to play well enough to be traded. 

I'm thinking if they can move Pearson things would be better for both parties. I think his career is done. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Of course they have to play him if he's fit but he's no longer a fit on this team. 

So he has to play for the Canucks to trade him. He has little value right now for a trade. Hell a give away would be ok at this point just for cap space and space for younger players to grow. 

During his tenure he's done little even when healthy. In many ways the team moved on from him while he was injured. Jim Rutherford has already traded this guy once and I can see it again however until that point he needs to play well enough to be traded. 

I'm thinking if they can move Pearson things would be better for both parties. I think his career is done. 

He was actually a pretty good middle six guy when he was healthy at times. His role has been filled in since he missed so much hockey last year though and it would be hard to find a role for him. I'm also not sure how good he'll be with so much time off since he's last played.

I mentally moved on from Pearson a long time ago, so I can’t quite wrap my head around him being back in the lineup. He does seem like a guy who could fit in nicely with Tochett’s approach to the game, but I also want to see some new blood. 

He hasn’t played for a long time, who knows how fully recovered his hand really is, and he’s no youngster so I’m skeptical he’ll be as effective as he was before the injury, or if he’ll ever be a consistent NHLer again. And he needs to be as good or better to be worth his $3M. 

If he’s indeed fully healthy, I hope he has a great season. We can’t afford to have anything less than a 100% effective Pearson if he’s going to play. This sure complicates the salary cap situation and would almost force another winger trade. 

On 8/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, aqua59 said:

Agreed