The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team's offensive problems need a coaching re-think

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

So wvy doesn't Green play with a defensive strategy. It's all in, go go go and don't stop... And then we loose because of turnovers/takeaways when all our players are stuck in offense and can't help out in defense. 

It is a defensive strategy, really it is, chip it out, dump it in and two forecheckers with 2 neutral zone checkers and a dman trailing, as soon as one of the first two misses he hightails it back to be the other dman or take up a lane.

It has to be go go go because there are not enough players good enough for a puck possession game and most are too small to win a board battle.

The Canucks get lots of shots, but many are from low chance spots, it isn't unusual for the Nucks to get 4 shots on goal per game from the other side of the redline.

The getting stuck in the zone, one of the two neutral zone checkers is supposed to back off, SJ lured one and then passed to the other side creating a one on one or two on one. The aggressive nature of the press checking can be defeated with a couple of passes or a good puck possession player, in the d zone large players dominate behind the net and in the corners.

Dump and pray hockey. Two deep neutral zone trap.

The problem I see is there is never any puck support.

Dman doesn't have a player to pass to, chips it out of our zone.

Forward doesn't have a player to pass to, chips it into the O zone.

It's really hard to win hockey games when you spend most of the night giving the puck back to your opponents. Support the #&%@$#% puck already!

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Wasn't it a few months ago we were all praising Travis Green ? 

Yeah that’s how cdc works everyone is level headed going into the season with reasonable expectations, we have our usual early success and people get excited and start clamouring for playoffs and then our inevitable down swing  comes by and cdc goes into full rage mode. 

12 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Creativity works best when it is supported by good structures.

Anyone can see Petey, Bo and Boes are creative... but they need a system to facilitate their creativity.

The Canucks are a low-skill group who rely on EP for offense. The coach and systems can only do so much. TG was brought here to manage this roster phase because of his structure.

I can only imagine how much more fun it would be watching old Crawford at the helm, scoring more with his risky pop-gun offensive game, while surrendering odd-man rushes at the end of every play, but this time - with this horrible Dcore to bail out this system. Shivers. :sick:

There is a reason TG is here. If he wasn’t, then it would still be a similarly structured systems coach.

This roster isn’t any where near ready for questions as to why there’s no O - and if it’s a systems issue or not.

The Canucks lack the required skill to be effective in a dynamic, offensive system.

This thread question belongs in the General Questions thread. 

Well i agree with this but also if we had strong team defense then we wouldn't need to score as many goals to win games and we've lost at least 15 games by a single goal, so add 20 points to our current point total and we'd be solidly in a playoff spot if we only won 10 of those 15 or so 1 goal losses. People seem to think if we get a couple better players in the top 2 lines then we're golden but that's not exactly true if we continue with horrible team D. 

Not only that actually, give-a-ways have been atrocious. The elite teams have very good puck  possession numbers and lower shots on goal by far better than us so unless that's addressed then even more goals by a slightly higher margin aren't going to make that much of a difference and it will still be a struggle even after we start getting into the post season where it will show blantantly against the teams who do better than us at those two issues. 

The TG experiment has failed, as did the WD experiment. Time to bring in a seasoned NHL coach. 

If you look back at the Canucks coaches over the years you'll notice that  only the winning coaches stuck around for any length of time (Pat Quinn, Marc Crawford, AV). The rest were given the boot after a season or two. Why should TG be any different? He had his two seasons to show what he could do and now it's time for the team to move on.

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Wasn't it a few months ago we were all praising Travis Green ? 

Absolutely.  The CDC is a bi-polar as it gets, win a few games we are a playoff team that might do some damage, lose a few and tear it down to the studs and start again.  As for the OP the problem with our PP is lack of decent defenseman that can quarter back it.  Maybe Hughes can help with this...but we still need another guy that can lay bombs at the net too.

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  The CDC is a bi-polar as it gets, win a few games we are a playoff team that might do some damage, lose a few and tear it down to the studs and start again.  As for the OP the problem with our PP is lack of decent defenseman that can quarter back it.  Maybe Hughes can help with this...but we still need another guy that can lay bombs at the net too.

Rebuilds are painful for fans...   Canucks should have started 6 yrs ago but instead choose to delay it...

Now we are in the middle of the rebuild and its tough... but Canucks fans have to STEP up and embrace the rebuild.

Enjoy watching the kids develop.  Wins will be rare but enjoy each one. 

We are still  a few years away from being a playoff team.  Oh well, it is what it is....  Enjoy the elite young kids the club is starting to acquire / develop. 

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Yeah that’s how cdc works everyone is level headed going into the season with reasonable expectations, we have our usual early success and people get excited and start clamouring for playoffs and then our inevitable down swing  comes by and cdc goes into full rage mode. 

Then there are the posters who are far more realistic throughout the season and get flamed for being too jaded when they realize that the Canucks early season success won't be sustained, and then look like geniuses when the team does inevitably collapse from lack of depth and injuries.

When Green was given the offensive weapons in Portland his team led the entire WHL in goals for (by a lot), and they won a championship. 

When Green had no offense in Utica,  but he had a reasonable defense group and arguably the best goalie in the AHL that year, his team was top five in the league in goals against and his team went to the finals.   

Green can coach offense and defence - his track record proves it.

The young core is still learning the ropes in the league and isn't even fully assembled yet for that matter.  When the next core gets established & JB gives Green the required assets to round out the roster we'll see the full vision of Green's system - of this is have little doubt.   Of the average fan's comprehension of where this franchise's rebuild is I have many doubts however.  

30 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Then there are the posters who are far more realistic throughout the season and get flamed for being too jaded when they realize that the Canucks early season success won't be sustained, and then look like geniuses when the team does inevitably collapse from lack of depth and injuries.

It’s an elite circle lol

No, the problem lies in people putting too much stock in how we performed to start the year. Most contending teams are notorious for taking a while to play to their full potential.

We're playing just as well as we were at the start, but the competition has stepped their game up with playoffs on the horizon. 

We never going to be a high scoring team. Pettersson is obviously fatigued after a long season and Horvat can only do so much with mediocrity on both his wings. 

I have no issues with Green and the coaching staff. I didn’t even have issues with Willie D or Torts. Benning and linden though.....where do I start.

That said, if Quenville is willing to come here next season, I would have no issues dropping Green.

On 3/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, gurn said:

Please tell me just what kind of strategy Green is asking the players to play.

I doesn't see any players try to calm down the game so the intensity drops. Lower intensity means that Petey/Boeser et al  at least get a shot at  turnovers/takeaways. Now it's just, in with the puck and fight hard for every second in some corner instead of dangerous turnovers/takeaways. 

I agree with some of the facts the OP stated but not all.

While I don’t like the fact that Green split up Brock and Petey (If it ain’t broke don’t fix it), I don’t believe it’s fair to single him out as the problem. He’s doing the best he can with what is given to him. We just don’t simply have enough talent. It starts with the defence. If the defence can’t make a clean breakout pass or lead the rush with speed then our forwards can’t get the cycle or forecheck going. And we have help coming for that (Hughes and Juolevi) 

Hopefully, we get lucky this draft and get get a top 3 pick. Jack Hughes, Kappo Kakko or Byram would all be welcome additions and definitely help. Fingers crossed that we finally get some damn lottery luck for once!

21 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I have no issues with Green and the coaching staff. I didn’t even have issues with Willie D or Torts. Benning and linden though.....where do I start.

That said, if Quenville is willing to come here next season, I would have no issues dropping Green.

Why? Quennville routinely benches and scratches rookies. He's not a rebuilding coach. At all. 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

I've been more than willing to give Travis Green and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt... they are in the learning process... same as the players.

But lately the team has been underperforming badly...

nonsense.

This is what you should expect from a depleted young team late in the season.

Not sure how many times people need it evidenced for them the difference between this team with the likes of Sutter, Tanev, Edler, Beagle, etc and without.

Without them, EP simply doesn't get the volume and quality of opportunity he needs,

He also doesn't have secondary scoring support when Horvat's line is divided into shutdown duty.

5 ozone starts for EP against Vegas. 

A blueline with a rookie (Sautner), an AHLer (Schenn) and a depth 7/8 man (Biega) in the lineup.

They're performing as you should expect them to.

But pretend all you want that the coaching staff are the ones in the "learning process".  

At least if they are, they are actually learning.   Not sure the same can be said about a lot of people on these boards.

Early in the year the team rolled 4 lines and played with speed. They also passed the puck. I have see the team decide to make a run at the play-offs and totally dish the rolling 4 lines and burn out the top 3 players. Travis Green has brought this on himself. Should have let the team just play hockey!

Archived