The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HBO to Air Controversary Michael Jackson Documentary

DonLever

from CBS:

A new HBO documentary on Michael Jackson set to air Sunday night features the accusations of two men who claim the late pop icon sexually assaulted them when they were children.

"Leaving Neverland" tells the stories of James Safechuck and Wade Robson, who allege the legendary singer sexually abused them separately as children. The four-hour documentary will air on HBO in two parts, the first Sunday at 8 p.m. ET, and part two Monday night. Both parts will be available for streaming on HBO Now and HBO Go starting Sunday night.

In the documentary, Safechuck, now 37, said he first met Jackson while filming a Pepsi commercial around the time of his 9th birthday. Robson, now 41, said he met the singer after winning a dance contest when he was 5 years old. The men allege Jackson sexually abused them at his Neverland ranch after developing friendships with each.

On Tuesday, director Dan Reed told "CBS This Morning" the film is not "about Michael Jackson."

"It's a film about Wade Robson and James Safechuck, two little boys to whom this dreadful thing happened long ago. It's the story of their coming to terms with that over two decades and the story of their families," Reed said.  "As far as including other eyewitnesses to that, there was no one else in the room, I don't believe, when Wade was being molested by Michael or when James was having sex with Michael."

The filmmakers did not seek comment from the Jackson family nor his estate, which is now suing HBO for $100 million, claiming HBO is in breach of contract for disparaging Jackson in the film. The network has said it will move forward with airing "Leaving Neverland" as planned.

Michael Jackson died in 2009, leaving members of his family to defend him and his legacy as new allegations thrust the late singer and his family back into the spotlight.

New allegations echo previous claims

Prior to his death, Jackson faced allegations of child molestation in 1993 and 2003. In 1995, Jackson reached a $23 million settlement with the family of Jordan Chandler, and was acquitted by a California jury on charges of alleged abuse of a 13-year-old boy in 2005. He denied ever acting inappropriately with children throughout his life.

In their first television interview prior to the airing of "Leaving Neverland," Robson and Safechuck told "CBS This Morning" how their alleged abuse with Jackson began. Both detailed the methods Jackson allegedly used when they visited his Neverland ranch in California as children.

"Within either the first or second night of Michael and I being alone at Neverland, the night started changing. One of the ways I remember it starting is, you know, Michael just sort of starting to touch my legs and touch my crotch over my pants ... It progressed to him performing oral sex on me, him showing me how to perform oral sex on him," Robson said.

Safechuck, who nodded his head as Robson spoke, said his alleged abuse began similarly.

"He introduced me to masturbation ... he said I taught him how to French kiss ... and then it moves onto oral sex," Safechuck said.

When Chandler and his family came forward alleging abuse in 1993, both Robson and Safechuck denied they had been molested. In 2005, when Jackson faced criminal charges, Robson defended Jackson, taking the stand and offering testimony in the singer's defense.

"The training — Michael's training of me to testify began the first night that he started abusing me," Robson said. "He started telling me that if anybody else ever finds out, we'll both go to jail, both of our lives would be over."

Both men eventually came forward with their own stories of Jackson's alleged abuse, filing individual lawsuits against his estate several years after his death. Those suits were dismissed for having been filed too late. Robson and Safechuck are both appealing those dismissals

Jackson family members denounce "Leaving Neverland"

Members of the Jackson family have publicly denounced "Leaving Neverland," arguing that not only are the allegations detailed in the documentary false, but that filmmakers never reached out to the family for comment or gave them a chance to argue for Jackson's innocence. Michael Jackson's brothers Jackie, Tito, Marlon and nephew Taj sat down with "CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King on Wednesday to dispute the allegations raised in the film.

"I know my brother," Jackie Jackson said. "He's my little brother. I know my brother. He's not like that."

Members of the Jackson family have denounced Safechuck and Robson as "opportunists" and "admitted liars." In its lawsuit against HBO, the Jackson estate called the documentary a "one-sided marathon of unvetted propaganda to shamelessly exploit an innocent man no longer here to defend himself."

Their defense has returned the Jackson family back into the public sphere. From the late 1960s to the late 1980s, The Jackson 5 musical group sang some of the most famous songs in pop, in turn becoming a household name. Brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Michael and Marlon helped popularize Detroit's "Motown" music genre and earned an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

By the early 1980s Michael Jackson established himself as a superstar singer separate from the family group. His 1982 album "Thriller" is the second best-selling album of all time, and he was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001.

What critics are saying

The critical reaction to "Leaving Neverland" has been overwhelmingly positive, with the documentary garnering a Rotten Tomatoes score of 96 percent. NPR called the documentary "a tribute to the power of personal testimony," and The New Yorker said it is a "grueling and devastating film that asks viewers to reconfigure how they think about both Jackson and potential victims of rape."

Others have found the documentary to be a major threat to Jackson's legacy. "'Leaving Neverland' is a bombshell of a film that could damage the legacy of Jackson in ways no print reports or other TV specials have done before now," Julie Hinds of The Detroit Free Press wrote. Hank Stuever of The Washington Post said the film is "devastating and credible" and "will turn you off Michael Jackson for good."

I enjoy listening to Michael Jackson's music. The Way You Make Me Feel. Black or White. Man in the Mirror. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of hearing those songs. As a musician Michael Jackson is an icon. Outside of that he was disgusting, self-indulgent and lacked the ability to have honest self-reflection.

For me it's undeniable that he sexually abused those boys. Whether it was in a malicious way about power and control or some kind of childlike curiosity about sex.

The most damning evidence for me came out years ago, when Jackson himself said he didn't thing it was inappropriate to sleep in the same bed with young boys. 

12 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

I enjoy listening to Michael Jackson's music. The Way You Make Me Feel. Black or White. Man in the Mirror. I don't think I'll ever grow tired of hearing those songs. As a musician Michael Jackson is an icon. Outside of that he was disgusting, self-indulgent and lacked the ability to have honest self-reflect.

For me it's undeniable that he sexually abused those boys. Whether it was in a malicious way about power and control or some kind of childlike curiosity about sex.

The most damning evidence for me came out years ago, when Jackson himself said he didn't thing it was inappropriate to sleep in the same bed with young boys. 

He definitely didn't. There are people who were actually raped and molested and they defend Michael Jackson as not being a pedophile. Not only that but the FBI investigated and staked him out and found no evidence he molested any children. The children who claimed he did were completely wrong about numerous facts that you just wouldn't forget or could be wrong about like whether he was circumcised or not. He is a strange dude no doubt but I think his kid like kind-heartedness got taken advantage of by these people that wanted/want money.

Not only that I the way these guys interview you can tell they are 100% lying. 

22 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He definitely didn't. There are people who were actually raped and molested and they defend Michael Jackson as not being a pedophile. Not only that but the FBI investigated and staked him out and found no evidence he molested any children. The children who claimed he did were completely wrong about numerous facts that you just wouldn't forget or could be wrong about like whether he was circumcised or not. He is a strange dude no doubt but I think his kid like kind-heartedness got taken advantage of by these people that wanted/want money.

And yet Jackson paid people money to not go to court.

I've read a ton of autobiographies and biographies of musicians and celebrities/comedians, etc. I find them fascinating. One thing that is consistent in all of the books, is that the "star" is always surrounded by people, their "posse" so to speak. They hang out with other musicians, collaborate, write, party, tour, etc. Sure, MJ was a megastar, but didn't he have a crew of staff working for him? Did he not socialize with any of them or his band? MJ had the world fooled.  He made everyone believe he was this sensitive, shy, genius who never had a childhood and just wanted "friends" to play with. A lot of people felt sorry for him. I can't believe the parents actually allowed this all to happen, but my guess is they had big dollar signs in their eyes. What's even more surprising I think is that the entire world didn't blink an eye when photo after photo of MJ holding hands with various little boys didn't raise any red flags.   

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Well, the FBI investigated after the fact and the only witnesses are the children so it isn't as if evidence would be forthcoming. Being raped or molested doesn't make you an expert either. The entire reason he settled the first case was because the child could describe his penis.

Do I know if he molested those kids or not? No, I certainly wasn't there. If I had a gun to my head and had to be correct or die then yeah he did it.

1 minute ago, \/ijay said:

Well, the FBI investigated after the fact and the only witnesses are the children so it isn't as if evidence would be forthcoming. Being raped or molested doesn't make you an expert either. The entire reason he settled the first case was because the child could describe his penis.

Do I know if he molested those kids or not? No, I certainly wasn't there. If I had a gun to my head and had to be correct or die then yeah he did it.

He didn't settle his insurance agency settled. 

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No he didn't his insurance company paid people against his wishes.

Gotta link for that assertion?      And this info just makes it even harder give any thought to MJ being innocent as insurance companies don't pay money out to anyone, unless they are afraid of losing more.

Really?  That's amazing.  You can tell they are lying by the way they interview?  You must be an expert.

"He definitely didn't" .  Oh, were you there?

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Gotta link for that assertion?      And this info just makes it even harder give any thought to MJ being innocent as insurance companies don't pay money out to anyone, unless they are afraid of losing more.

Yea because Michael says stupid things like he sleeps with children. It's not an admission he is a pedophile at all but an insurance company would not want to risk it. Macaulay Culkin has said Michael was never social and was very bad at explaining himself and made himself looked guilty when he wasn't 

https://www.quora.com/What-happened-to-the-family-who-were-paid-off-by-Michael-Jackson-in-the-sex-trial

Civil lawsuits are 90% settled out of court. Both the legal fees, had a civil trial occured, as well as the settlement would have been paid by Jackson’s insurer, not himself. Thus, his insurer Lloyd of London, pressured him to settle instead of going to court. 

This is just quickly gathering facts but if you go in detail you can see its all BS and this guy is a total fraud, Chandler.

One thing that surprised me with these interviews, is that the two guys kind of reminisced fondly about the times they spent with MJ. Even after they talked about the stuff that went on, they still wanted to be with him desperately. Like, they still felt a connection and an attraction towards him. I would think as adults, they would be furious how they were taken advantage of as kids and how much therapy they had to endure and how it destroyed their lives, etc. They didn't say any of that stuff. There were no tears. And the parents, knowing what they apparently know now, they didn't look bothered by any of it. It's very sad and terrible what might've happened, but MJ is dead and he can't defend himself.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

One thing that surprised me with these interviews, is that the two guys kind of reminisced fondly about the times they spent with MJ. Even after they talked about the stuff that went on, they still wanted to be with him desperately. Like, they still felt a connection and an attraction towards him. I would think as adults, they would be furious how they were taken advantage of as kids and how much therapy they had to endure and how it destroyed their lives, etc. They didn't say any of that stuff. There were no tears. And the parents, knowing what they apparently know now, they didn't look bothered by any of it. It's very sad and terrible what might've happened, but MJ is dead and he can't defend himself.

Yea it's a clear money grab. It's ridiculous HBO would air this. They are going to get slammed with lawsuits and I have no doubt they will lose them all.

I've only watched about 45 minutes so far. The thing that stuck out the most to me so far was when one of the boys said that Michael told him that he was his first sexual experience. 

Michael Jackson defenders always say that he was too innocent and too childlike himself to have sexually abused another child. 

I think that's precisely the reason he sexual abused children. Michael Jackson didn't grow up normally. His life was devoid of so many moments that demarcat childhood, adolescence and adulthood. He performed as a child and as an adult he continued to perform. His mind was childlike but not his body. Michael Jackson was in his mid-twenties when Thriller came out. His innocent childlike mind, likely limited or perhaps even negated his ability to have a romantic let alone sexual relationship with another adult. He likely saw the sexual abuse he inflicted on those children as friends experimenting. 

19 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Macaulay Culkin has said Michael was never social and was very bad at explaining himself and made himself looked guilty when he wasn't 

I don’t know if Jackson abused these children or not. However, the fact that his only “friends” backing him up were children when they became friends with him, doesn’t help.

I'll reserve judgement until if I see more kids come out but I just can't see it coming out of him. R Kelly, you see a mile away, even from the lyrics and the topics of his songs but Micheal, you can totally hear a different mindset. To this day, most artist talk about themselves and their own experiences. Micheal was almost the only one who consistently talked about healing the world, and spreading love throughout all his albums. I just can't see it out of him and if it does come out as true and he has been under the guise of a guy who wants to help the world. Then we are a doomed species.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

I'll reserve judgement until if I see more kids come out but I just can't see it coming out of him. R Kelly, you see a mile away, even from the lyrics and the topics of his songs but Micheal, you can totally hear a different mindset. To this day, most artist talk about themselves and their own experiences. Micheal was almost the only one who consistently talked about healing the world, and spreading love throughout all his albums. I just can't see it out of him and if it does come out as true and he has been under the guise of a guy who wants to help the world. Then we are a doomed species.

Jimmy Savile raised an estimated 40 million pound for charities over in his time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

Archived