The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

About that Podcast...

springer

Guess I made the mistake of listening to the White Towel podcast today. 

How do they discuss the current state of this team for 10 minutes, reliably descending into dumping on players and management, and not once mention the unbelievable rate of injuries that have literally kicked the hell out of the 'Nucks, almost right from the get-go??? 

Three weeks back, for the first time since almost day one they had a full roster of healthy players...and almost immediately it started all over again with players dropping like ten pins! Key players, including both their first line d-men, a top six goal scorer, one of their best shutdown forwards, and their No. 2 goalie! Benning was even quoted as saying he'd never seen anything like this! The hockey gods appear to have dug their heels into the backs of this team, and they just are not going to let up on 'em! As if last year wasn't bad enough, it's even worse this year.

And who is left carrying the load? A relatively young Horvat who barely qualifies as a veteran, doing yeoman service in virtually every situation that can be thrown at him. A sophomore coming off an injury that, quote, "scared the hell" out him, and a first year rookie star barely 20. Not to mention two young d-men playing the kind of minutes one generally marvels at from seasoned veteran stars of the game.

These guys are running out of gas, clearly they are frustrated beyond words, and it shows, especially in the last game against Vegas. 

This ain't fun to watch, no doubt about it.

But at least let's be fair about what these guys are up against!

Which, for too much of this season, has been a real bitch of a time with injuries! The amount of which, IMHO, would have unwound just about any team in this league.

Lastly, Boeser...he may have recovered physically from that injury, but I wonder if he's recovered mentally. I recall Hamhuis saying that, following a similarly nasty injury, it took him two years to get past the scare that it left behind. Imagine the pain, down on the ice and you can't feel or move your leg. That's mentally traumatic in anyone's books, even more so for a young kid!

FWIW

Had to get that off my chest!

11 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The drive in to work with 650 radio was also painful.  Ragging and ranting (mostly on Brock) like maniacs.  Shut it off faster than a Petey wrister.

Lol appreciate the fact you easily get canucks talk on the radio and etc...no matter how ****** it happens to be:lol:

id trade hearing about the riders or wheat for your situation anyday

7 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I'm confused as to what you want the narrative to be given how the season is going. And the past 3 before that. 

This is a team in rebuild. A month ago Travis Green was a hero, the team was way ahead of expectations, and a serious contender for a playoff spot.

Then the injuries started all over again, and it's been hell. Everyone has forgotten about the 10 game losing streak early on when injuries also hammered 'em hard.

It's a young team in transition. Of course they don't have enough depth to absorb this pummeling. Hell, some of the deepest teams would be struggling through this.

What's the narrative supposed to be? 

How about fair, balanced and reasoned.

...for a change.

17 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Lol appreciate the fact you easily get canucks talk on the radio and etc...no matter how ****** it happens to be:lol:

id trade hearing about the riders or wheat for your situation anyday

You can listen live online at Sportsnet.ca/650 or The Sportsnet app

or follow the podcasts sportsnet 650 there’s about 5 shows a day m-f.

i highly recommend the playbook with jawn jang and satiar Shaw (9am-12pm) and Canucks central with Alex auld and sat shaw (12pm-1pm)

the program is alright. I like rintoul. Not a huge fan of walker though lol.

other than that the patcast is usually entertaining with jpat and botch

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The drive in to work with 650 radio was also painful.  Ragging and ranting (mostly on Brock) like maniacs.  Shut it off faster than a Petey wrister.

I find our house radio is tuned to FM 94.5 more than sport's AM radio these days.  Happy music, instead of nasty commentators.  

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Since Mira left 650'a morning show its gone to crap. Those two terds just team up on RD. 

Miss the original morning crew.

I find all 3 loud and obnoxious lol.

RD especially so but he was correct in this spat about Boeser this morning.

i cringe when I listen to those 3 guys but thankfully I usually tune in at 8:50 and count the minutes till the playbook crew rolls in

31 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I'm confused as to what you want the narrative to be given how the season is going. And the past 3 before that. 

The truth is there doesn't need to be a narrative. There doesn't need to be daily or even weekly reflection on a hockey team. But when there is nothing to talk about, negativity sells. 

I tend to actually lean towards tsn between 9-12. Halford and Brough do a pretty decent good. Typically good conversations and open/honest debate. They even reflect on past opinions and are willing to admit they were wrong. Decent show

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

That was a topic on both stations & I quickly turned it off. Ragging on Brock when he's the one good winger we've actually had this year... After missing alot of offseason training & battling nagging injuries throughout the year, he's still been really productive.

Absurd. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Since Mira left 650'a morning show its gone to crap. Those two terds just team up on RD. 

Miss the original morning crew.

Yeah I can't listen to Cybulski. I like Dahliwal but that's it. I don't even listen. When you competition is Dave Pratt its an open lane & they've just dropped the ball.

I'd rather stomach Pratt & listen to 1040 for Tomlinson & some of their radio hits than 650. 

Not denying our terrible luck with injuries but how long are we gonna run with this excuse? At some point management has to take action and decipher why this is a problem every year. There are a handful of guys who should of been traded awhile ago (Sutter/Tanev/Baer) and their value seems to go down the longer we wait. Our team seems like the punching bag of the league. If we make playoffs down the road, how confident are you that Pettersson and Boeser escape multiple rounds of playoffs healthy? We need to get big bodies who deal damage not take it and we must be faster as well.

Archived