The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-DAL draft day blockbuster

tas

let's say that things play out fairly predictably over the rest of this season, with the canucks finishing in the standings roughly where they stand now, and dallas either narrowly misses or flames out in the 1st round. Vancouver doesn't win the lottery and drafts somewhere 7-9, dallas drafts 14-16. dallas decides they need changes. 

to DAL: loui eriksson (it's a fit on both sides due to familiarity), chris tanev, 2019 1st round pick

to VAN: jamie benn

would you do it? is it worth losing a pick in that range plus tanev in order to offload loui's contract and bring in a player of benn's skillset, who is also a hometown boy, but who also carries a potential albatross contract? 

So why does Dallas do this?  They signed him for 8 years * $9.5 million per, he's their captain and only 29.  Eriksson's a shell of the player he used to be.
The team also wants to keep Tanev with Hughes, do they not?  Add on the 1st round pick potentially being another early pick, and it begs the question why.
If we can sign a winger with that money that would be addition without giving up assets, and there's some good UFA's out there this summer.

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So why does Dallas do this?  They signed him for 8 years * $9.5 million per, he's their captain and only 29.  Eriksson's a shell of the player he used to be.
The team also wants to keep Tanev with Hughes, do they not?  Add on the 1st round pick potentially being another early pick, and it begs the question why.
If we can sign a winger with that money that would be addition without giving up assets, and there's some good UFA's out there this summer.

dallas does it because ownership and management has soured on the leadership group there, and in this proposal it's made explicitly clear that the canucks' pick is 7-9, not a top 5.

The package itself isn't much and I'd say Dallas says no cause it's not nearly enough for a guy that may turn his game around. Just last season the guy was a 36 goal scorer, almost dropped 80 points. I guess the argument that maybe things have soured between management and player is somewhat valid but they still likely ask for a top prospect back. Like a Juolevi or Hughes, somebody more likely to be in the NHL next season. Not a draft pick in the 7-9 range cause that guy likely won't be ready next season and when he is won't be an impact player right away, in all likelihood anyway. There's no perfect guesswork with the draft. They been in compete now mode for a while and been middling at best so I doubt they want to take in draft picks.

A cap dump, a borderline 3rd pairing D-man and non top 5 pick won't get you a 30 goal scoring power forward. Yeah he's 30 and is having a down year, but he's not exactly chopped liver just yet.

No 

I'll take Alexander Radulov for three more years at 6.25 mil/year.  

He just got benched for being late for practice, looks like he might be having a falling out.  

Give them Louie and top them up with a 3rd or 4th rounder. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not just sign Anders Lee for free and keep Tanev and the first round pick?  Yes Benn may be better than Lee but I'm sure we can get Lee for much cheaper than $9.5 million and without losing any assets.

I was thinking about Lee as a possible option as well, but figured it was doubtful he leaves the Islanders. 

Archived