The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'GoCanucksGo' Youtube Channel to Shut Down after 3 copyright claims by Sportsnet

The youtube channel GoCanucksGo which has uploaded clips of individual goals/interviews/etc for 4 years and was the only place to view some old goals (from our stanley cup run and prior) has received 3 strikes and will shutdown in a week. 

In his words as posted to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SedinMagic3322/community

Hey guys, just wanted to bid farewell because this channel is dead. Been a nice 4 years.

I received my 3rd strike a couple days ago, starting a week long countdown for the termination of the channel. Sportsnet is of course allowed to do this, I guess I just hoped they wouldn't.

I didn't know that the 2 strikes were a warning to cease all uploading and purge Sportsnet content from my channel. It wasn't clear to me, but this was apparently the warning.

I just got off a phone call with a Sportsnet exec who made sure to voice his displeasure with my channel. Gave me a chance to make my case but it all boiled down to copyrighted content which I didn't own. He also said there is little to zero chance they change their minds any time soon.

I WILL NOT be making an alt channel, so don't ask me to, but maybe start saving some of the video I've uploaded for your own personal viewing if you want to rewatch things.

Thanks, GCG

This means that several Canucks memories may no longer be able to be rewatched online ever again and Sportsnet doesn't offer an alternative way to view these goals/assists/points/milestones.

As he says, he won't be making a second channel and if any wants to save particular videos, they should do so now. Such as this video of the Sedins draft which I've never seen anywhere else

12 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Watch sportsnet go upload the important/popular videos he made, and make money off them.

I mean, if it's their content that's completely their right. This isn't a case of the big man picking on the little man and taking the little man's content for their own. The little man was likely making money off their content. It sucks, for sure. I watched a lot of the videos from that channel. I am all for Leafsnet putting some Canuck content on their channel. Lol.

Dang. I didn't subscribe, but watched a lot of their videos and enjoyed them. Sportsnet has every right to do this, but it still looked kind of bad in the public eye when they do so, similarly to how Nintendo has a knack for looking bad by being restrictive with YouTubers uploading content with their games.

I just checked his channel out.

I didn't see anything like 'I don't own this content', 'this isn't mine, copyright to SN' or 'not for monetary purposes' in the description on ANY of his videos. He's just uploading the content and using descriptions like it's his content, giving no credit whatsoever. No wonder SN has an issue with this. I was ready to defend the guy but he made no effort to protect his channel.

32 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I didn't see anything like 'I don't own this content', 'this isn't mine, copyright to SN' or 'not for monetary purposes' in the description on ANY of his videos. He's just uploading the content and using descriptions like it's his content, giving no credit whatsoever. No wonder SN has an issue with this. I was ready to defend the guy but he made no effort to protect his channel.

that usually has no impact on copyright strikes occurring or the channel being shut down. I've seen channels put lots of stuff like that in their videos and descriptions and still get shut down for the same reason. it's too bad because he had some great videos like his 1950-2018 Stanley Cup winning goals video. Definitely nothing unfair about it though, it's too bad.

2 hours ago, Xbox said:

Makes no difference.

"I have taken this apple, It's not my apple, it's not stealing"

Sad day for everyone who enjoyed his videos

13 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

The youtube channel GoCanucksGo which has uploaded clips of individual goals/interviews/etc for 4 years and was the only place to view some old goals (from our stanley cup run and prior) has received 3 strikes and will shutdown in a week. 

In his words as posted to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SedinMagic3322/community

This means that several Canucks memories may no longer be able to be rewatched online ever again and Sportsnet doesn't offer an alternative way to view these goals/assists/points/milestones.

As he says, he won't be making a second channel and if any wants to save particular videos, they should do so now. Such as this video of the Sedins draft which I've never seen anywhere else

Sportsnet, which paid 5 billion to the NHL for ALL media rights with a few exceptions of already signed TSN team contracts.

This is the NHL sanitizing the media, the one area you might have a case is if these are still available via antennae then they are free airwaves, Rogers owns media cable but most stuff in the air is still free. Even your phone calls.

Archived