The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vehicle Purchase Question

NucksPatsFan

Go back and talk directly with the manager. Worst case scenario he's going to tell you too bad which is where you're already at. Better than not going and wondering "what if." If he's reasonable they will come to some terms. Dealing with the bank might be the bigger hurdle however..

And push back. Don't take no for an answer. There's too many soft people around that do as they're told and won't fight.

Update:

The sales manager was very reasonable. They had an in house 3 day exchange policy.

He told me they can't "reverse" the trade in as "the bank already owns the car, it's gone, you can't just reverse it, blah blah." It actually made a lot of sense until I caught him in a contradictory statement where I said well what if she wanted to choose a different vehicle than the one she took two days ago, and he started talking about how the difference in price between her original vehicle and another one could be less, which means she'd pay less. 

So I called him out on it that obviously the paper work with the banks hasn't gone through yet if they can do a "second trade in" with the value of the original car versus an alternate trade in option. 

He started to back pedal but pretty hard but she actually found a vehicle that was an upgrade on the original, and the payments only go up $36/bi-weekly which she can afford.

So all in all, they "asked the bank to disregard the original paperwork sent in for the trade in and only process this new trade in paperwork" because, as he put it, their dealership "has worked really hard to establish good relationships with the banks so they do us these kinds of favours". AKA, they traded in the value of the original vehicle and it's negative equity against this 2nd car, instead of the car they gave her 2 days ago. Which obviously means the paperwork never was processed yet and if I had 8 hours to kill on a beautiful sunny day, I could've stayed there all day and eventually force them to "undo" the trade in that never was "officially" filed with the banks anyways. 

However, my aunt is much happier now as she did get a "better" vehicle (in her opinion, I'm personally not a fan of the car she got today) than her original, it's 1 year newer than the original, and has 13k less km on it with no accidents and single owner - while only paying $36 more bi-weekly which she can afford (and is a lot cheaper than a couple hundred more). 

I'm glad that even though the sales manager was caught in contradictory statements, he didn't get defensive and try to force the unaffordable vehicle (which would've required me to fight back harder as well and waste my whole day). 

19 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I am not questioning her story....maybe a little  ...and I don't mean it in a mean way ... .but how is it possible to not know approx. how much you make a month. 

I can see being out by a little bit .....but you see your pay every pay period you have to know how much you make.

I used to check my e-mailed paystubs but I've been on salary with the same company for a while now that I haven't checked a paystub in a few months. Without looking, I couldn't tell you the exact amount that gets deposited every 2 weeks, but I also wouldn't be $500 off (I don't know how she did that)

Some good advice from a dealer buddy:  even if you have a car in mind test drive several.  They will feel time committed and want to make something.  Also go near month.  Dealerships have monthly sales targets and this can be a great time to get a deal on something.  

2 hours ago, trek said:

So she still bought a car from them after-all? How is that a win for her?

She accomplished her original goal that started a couple weeks ago of getting a larger car for around the same price as what she was already paying monthly. After being, whatever it is that happened, sales tacticed? Into getting a vehicle that was out of her budget, we were able to get her out of that situation and into a situation she was looking for. 

At the end of the day the dealership still got the trade in, but even if I had stayed all day to reverse it and get her original vehicle back, she would've just continued looking at other places, so at least this way I get my Saturday back and she gets an affordable upgrade 

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I used to check my e-mailed paystubs but I've been on salary with the same company for a while now that I haven't checked a paystub in a few months. Without looking, I couldn't tell you the exact amount that gets deposited every 2 weeks, but I also wouldn't be $500 off (I don't know how she did that)

Maybe she was thinking gross instead of net? 

I check my stubs every so often because of the $&!#ty pay system (Phoenix) that is known to &^@# up a lot.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, Eli4sPetterss0n said:

Also I'll add I bought a 60,000 truck and lost my job a month later so, I have been through it. 

The bottom line is I had to work long hours and adjust my lifestyle to get on top of my new budget but I now drive the vehicle of my dreams and love it :)

Sounds like a bit of buyers remorse tbh. I mean, how much work is an extra few hundred dollars per month anyways Really?

Isn't there a thing out there saying a large percentage of people are within like $200/month of bankruptcy with the rising interest rates? Might not affect some of us but others can get squeezed pretty good.

Let's be transparent with what actually occurred here. 

She lied about her income, the dealership didn't complete proper due diligence on her (that's on them), and she got home - either thought about what a mistake that was or someone else told her what a mistake that was and how she can't afford it, and now she wants the dealership to right her wrong. 

Let this be a very valuable life & fiscal lesson to your family member. 

On 3/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, c00kies said:

Maybe she was thinking gross instead of net? 

I check my stubs every so often because of the $&!#ty pay system (Phoenix) that is known to &^@# up a lot.

No dealership or any company that offers financing for that matter uses net income as a measure for ability to afford. It's always done on a gross basis. How hard is it to divide your annual salary by 12? The gal was fibbing about her income and now she's paying for it. 

Here's my experience from a local Mazda dealership in Burnaby.   

Years ago, I was looking for a car.  Settled on the Mazda Tribute.   Went through all the negotiations, accessories,  financing, etc.  I specifically told them I wanted Titanium (grey) color.  Didn't want any other color.  The salesperson said not a problem.   But needs to fill out form so he asked me my favourite colour (blue).  I put a deposit ($1000) down.

A couple weeks go by, the dealership says my car is in.  I go to pick it up.  Guess what the colour is.  BLUE.  The salesperson said he never said getting Titanium would not be a problem.  So I told them I'm not accepting the car.  To give my deposit back (it was already cashed).  And if I didn't get it back,  I'll get a lawyer and sue their ass.

I got my deposit back in a week.

35 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

She lied about her income, the dealership didn't complete proper due diligence on her (that's on them), and she got home - either thought about what a mistake that was or someone else told her what a mistake that was and how she can't afford it, and now she wants the dealership to right her wrong. 

yeah, they don't give a &^@#. Real simple. They should do their due diligence but don't. They only want your money. A lot of places don't do due diligence across all things: tech, financial, consumer goods. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Here's my experience from a local Mazda dealership in Burnaby.   

Years ago, I was looking for a car.  Settled on the Mazda Tribute.   Went through all the negotiations, accessories,  financing, etc.  I specifically told them I wanted Titanium (grey) color.  Didn't want any other color.  The salesperson said not a problem.   But needs to fill out form so he asked me my favourite colour (blue).  I put a deposit ($1000) down.

A couple weeks go by, the dealership says my car is in.  I go to pick it up.  Guess what the colour is.  BLUE.  The salesperson said he never said getting Titanium would not be a problem.  So I told them I'm not accepting the car.  To give my deposit back (it was already cashed).  And if I didn't get it back,  I'll get a lawyer and sue their ass.

I got my deposit back in a week.

Heard this happens a lot.  A truck driver I talk to came in and this exact same thing happen to him, he got the salesperson fired lol.

3 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

3 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

No dealership or any company that offers financing for that matter uses net income as a measure for ability to afford. It's always done on a gross basis. How hard is it to divide your annual salary by 12? The gal was fibbing about her income and now she's paying for it. 

She's actually quite happy that she's hardly paying much more per month and is driving what she considers an upgrade on her previous vehicle. :blink:

Archived