The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Overhauling The Canucks - What Would You Do?

Dazzle

Here is a refresher of the UFAs available. From this list, Mark Stone is already gone and some others like Karlsson are not likely to be go UFA for family reasons, so take this list with a grain of salt.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-best-2019-ufas-unrestricted-free-agents-list-rumours/

The list from the website is:

Erik Karlsson

Mark Stone

Artemi Panarin

Matt Duchene

Sergei Bobrovsky

Jeff Skinner

Joe Pavelskin

Jake Gardiner

Kevin Hayes

Anders Lee

Anton Stralman

Wayne Simmonds

Other notables: Tyler Myers, Jimmy Howard, Jordan Eberle, Mats Zuccarello, Gustav Nyquist, Brock Nelson, Zdeno Chara, Alexander Edler, Micheal Ferland, Semyon Varlamov, Joe Thornton, Ryan Dzingel, Brian Boyle, Jason Pominville, Joonas Donskoi, Jason Spezza, Marcus Johansson, Valtteri Filppula, Derick Brassard, Justin Williams, Ron Hainsey, Patrick Maroon, Jay Bouwmeester, Robin Lehner, Cam Talbot, Mike Smith, Marc Methot, Deryk Engelland, Thomas Vanek, Niklas Kronwall, Brett Connolly, Alex Chiasson.

Do you think the Canucks will make a massive change for next year?

I think they would, but I would assume it wouldn't be built entirely through the UFA. We have A LOT of cap space though, so we can maybe take on other team's player(s) if they have no cap space. There's lots of room for movement.

Would Gaudette supplant players like Granlund? If so, maybe the Canucks can trade him and his very affordable contract to another team that could utilize his services while shedding cap.

I'd firstly lok to cut from this team. In the UFA market though, I'm not so certain about Karlsson with his injury history now and the contract he'd want. 

If Panarin would want to come here I'd throw heaps of cash at him, but that's a pipe dream. Someone like Zuccarello would be a coach and fan favourite. Eberle, Ferland and Simmonds are on my do not even think about signing list. 

I would target one of Myers or Karlsson on D. Then see if I get an impact forward up front in the draft. If we get someone who needs time I'd say load up for Panarin. 

I really think Myers could be a really solid fit with our now injured Quinn Hughes. Perfect timing for a potential foot injury. Will help us tank for better odds at Jack and keep Quinn expansion draft exempt.

Stay the coarse. Don't bring any free agents in. Unless you get a really decent well priced top 4 defenseman. The team is headed in the right direction. They showed really good signs this year, Rookie muscle ran dry that's all!

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would target one of Myers or Karlsson on D. Then see if I get an impact forward up front in the draft. If we get someone who needs time I'd say load up for Panarin. 

I really think Myers could be a really solid fit with our now injured Quinn Hughes. Perfect timing for a potential foot injury. Will help us tank for better odds at Jack and keep Quinn expansion draft exempt.

Jeez, Canuck injury bug strikes again!

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Stay the coarse. Don't bring any free agents in. Unless you get a really decent well priced top 4 defenseman. The team is headed in the right direction. They showed really good signs this year, Rookie muscle ran dry that's all!

Someone like Gaudette has proven himself, so it's likely he'll play in the NHL next year more regularly, if he hasn't already. That means we'll have some redundant players to get rid of. I think Granlund has done an admirable job but he's very obviously a transitional player that is going to be replaced. I'm just wondering which team would take him on. He's not negative value and he's a good character guy.

Meanwhile, we have Schaller who has been a tremendous disappointment. He arguably has negative value, but he has never complained in the media about his role, so he has that going for him.

The part that bugs me about the season is the clear mandate from TSN to run GM's down and try and force owners hands by creating debate. Jim Benning has done an excellent job and next year is the year he will be rated on. That being said

re-sign Edler. Bring in Hughes and Juolevi and lets play hockey. Maybe they get another pick in the pipeline and a surprise at training camp. Gaudette will take a big step next year. This team is not far from play-offs. All their young guns will be better next year.  

I'll stick to what I said before the season started blow up the D, revamp the whole backend. Obviously easier said then done and not easy to acquire D all the time, but that should definitely be Bennings plan moving forward, slowly looking to move this current D for other D over the next year. 

As for signing big name D that's going to be hard to sell to a non playoff team, maybe a couple years down the road when or if they start becoming a playoff type team then a big D will come here, but until that I don't see any big name D coming here yet, unless the Canucks throw a ridiculous amount of money at one.

52 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Here is a refresher of the UFAs available. From this list, Mark Stone is already gone and some others like Karlsson are not likely to be go UFA for family reasons, so take this list with a grain of salt.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-best-2019-ufas-unrestricted-free-agents-list-rumours/

The list from the website is:

Erik Karlsson

Mark Stone

Artemi Panarin

Matt Duchene

Sergei Bobrovsky

Jeff Skinner

Joe Pavelskin

Jake Gardiner

Kevin Hayes

Anders Lee

Anton Stralman

Wayne Simmonds

Other notables: Tyler Myers, Jimmy Howard, Jordan Eberle, Mats Zuccarello, Gustav Nyquist, Brock Nelson, Zdeno Chara, Alexander Edler, Micheal Ferland, Semyon Varlamov, Joe Thornton, Ryan Dzingel, Brian Boyle, Jason Pominville, Joonas Donskoi, Jason Spezza, Marcus Johansson, Valtteri Filppula, Derick Brassard, Justin Williams, Ron Hainsey, Patrick Maroon, Jay Bouwmeester, Robin Lehner, Cam Talbot, Mike Smith, Marc Methot, Deryk Engelland, Thomas Vanek, Niklas Kronwall, Brett Connolly, Alex Chiasson.

Do you think the Canucks will make a massive change for next year?

I think they would, but I would assume it wouldn't be built entirely through the UFA. We have A LOT of cap space though, so we can maybe take on other team's player(s) if they have no cap space. There's lots of room for movement.

Would Gaudette supplant players like Granlund? If so, maybe the Canucks can trade him and his very affordable contract to another team that could utilize his services while shedding cap.

On offense Ferland and Panarin and on defense Go hard for EK and then its a crap shoot maybe Myers maybe Trouba or Cici. But Edler doesn't deserve term unless its at 3-4 mil but we must control his future or let him walk and use Tanev to mentor  Hughs. We also can make a trade to bring in a young defense man, we do have some assets as well come summer I would even add a pick if it gets us a solid defense man

52 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I'd firstly lok to cut from this team. In the UFA market though, I'm not so certain about Karlsson with his injury history now and the contract he'd want. 

If Panarin would want to come here I'd throw heaps of cash at him, but that's a pipe dream. Someone like Zuccarello would be a coach and fan favourite. Eberle, Ferland and Simmonds are on my do not even think about signing list. 

Why not Ferland? Exactly the type of hard nose winger we need

45 minutes ago, cory40 said:

No I disagree, the time is this summer to add potential FA that make a difference, all young cores have to have good FA to support their growth

We need two top six forwards and 2-3 defensemen. Will we fill all of those holes this summer? Probably not but if we could, this is what I would do:

Trade/release: Goldobin, Sutter, Eriksson, Granlund, Hutton, Pouliot

Re-sign: Boeser, Edler, Utica depth

That should put us anywhere from $30-$40 million in cap space for free agency. Enough to sign Panarin and then to upgrade the bottom six/defense. 

Players I’d go after: 

- Panarin

- Myers

- Coburn

- Stralman

- Ferland

Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Ferland

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Coburn - Stralman

Markstrom

Demko

Pray for a top 2 pick to avoid even thinking about going to UFA market for  forward. Failing that, there are some potentially attractive options for a LW but not sure if I would want to pay the $$$ some of the better options could command. Having one Eriksson deal on the books is unfortunate having two, potentially,  would be too unfortunate .   We have enough middle class players that the lower tier guys don't appeal to me. 

On defense, somewhat similar situation in my opinion.  Tough to improve the top end in UFA and when you're looking at rhd even the prices of lower tier guys-like Myers-could get expensive. Stralman is a little older and if they could get him on something more shortish term that would be great but that's a big if. Could be difficult to prudently address defense in the UFA market and the biggest addition could be Hughes/Juolevi next year.

Goaltending I would stand pat.

25 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Why not Ferland? Exactly the type of hard nose winger we need

Because his stats are inflated and he's going to ask for a lot of money with a lot of term. His skating isn't the best and might drop off even more in 3 years.

If they can get him to sign a 3 or 4 year deal them sure

The problem is we spent so much money on guys who are barely above replacement level we don't have the space to add an impact free agent. 

Eriksson, Pearson (Gudbranson), Spooner (Gagner), Schaller, Beagle are costing us 23 million dollars and have combined for 21 goals. That is 23 million dollars on guys who, on average, are playing at replacement level. That is way too much focus on non impact players who have anchored our re-build. 

Now this was my opinion at the time of the deal in terms of what would have been more logical given the state of the team:

Sutter = My choice Kept Bonino (earning 1.75 and arguably a better player) and flipped him for a pick at the trade deadline the following year - likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Also would have kept a higher pick (2nd rounder vs 3rd rounder) and a B prospect in Clendening. While Clendening didn't amount to much, keeping him in the system longer may have meant not wasting another 5th round pick on Larsen later on. So instead of gaining futures we have a bad contract who has not helped us at all. 

Gudbranson = My choice: no trade, sign Luke Schenn for 1.1 million . At the time I didn't even think it was necessary to get another big tough dman with Tryamkin on the roster, Sbisa, and Pedan in the minors. That said, if they really wanted a bottom 6 right handed shot instead of giving up a great prospect in McCann and a 2nd (which could have been DeBrincat) we traded them and then proceeded to overpay for Gudbranson. 

Gagner = My choice: Give Reid Boucher an opportunity $725K. Wasn't Gagner on waivers two years before we signed him? Looked like a good fit in CBJ especially for 650K but yikes, 3 years at 3.1 million per year made zero sense. Why not give Reid Boucher a shot with Burmistrov as backup/insurance? I liked Boucher over his 27 game stint the prior year and still had upside. 

Schaller = My choice: Brendan Gaunce $750k. This was a WTF signing. A older version of Gaunce at 3x the cost. Would have rather just left Gaunce where he was (a cheap, reliable filler) vs spending almost 2 million on a 4th liner. 

Beagle = My choice: Mark Letestu $1M. 33 year-old 4th liner for 3 million per year over 4 years with a modified NTC?? Ouch. Compare him to Riley Nash who is four years younger, 1 less year term, and $275k lower cap hit or Derek Ryan who is 1 year younger, 1 year less term and again higher production. So we got bad relative value. That said, if we wanted a hard-working veteran player we could have gotten Mark Letestu on the cheap who was 53.3% on the dot. He ended up signing for $750K. 

Eriksson = My choice: Thomas Vanek 2 years @ 3.5 million per. Vanek in my eyes was one of those guys who was under performing given who he was and his salary but became a bit underrated as 40+ points is still good production. With the Sedins wrapping up their careers I thought Vanek might be a good fit for the remainder of their contracts or be able to provide scoring on the 2nd line + a veteran presence. Detroit got a much better deal for him, and we did end up doing this eventually (one of Benning's better moves) but he should have been the option over Eriksson given the price & term. 

At the end of the day, we gave up picks and missed the opportunity to acquire more by throwing so much money and term at players that are barely above replacement level instead of just filling those roster spots with replacement level players (with more upside) at a fraction of the cost. 

The only free agents worth going after would be Panarin, Skinner, Lee, Dzingel. All players are 28 or younger, proven 1st liners, and would fill a MASSIVE gap in our lineup. Can you imagine any one of those guys alongside EP & Boeser? Which would you rather have?

Pearson (3.75M) 
Schaller (1.9 M)
Spooner (4M)
= 9.65 M

OR 

Panarin/Skinner/Lee/Dzingel (8M)
Gaunce ($750K)
Boucher ($750K)
= 9.5 M

Unfortunately now we can't afford any of them! 

this is going to end up in the GM, Proposing, forum.

That said, decide between Markstrom and Demko, trade one maybe at the TDL next year.

Play OJ and decide if he is the "future" or just another Pouliot, Gudbranson or Biega (I like Biega but)

See if Hughes can kill a penalty in the NHL.

Trade Tanev if possible at the TDL next year.

Sign Edler to a 2 year contract.

Sign Brock to a 5/6 year 7 mil contract w/o clause, heavy in signing bonus the first two years (CBA).

Sign Goldy to a 3 year 3 mil contract w/o clause, heavy signing bonus in CBA year

Sign Hutton to a 3 year 5.5 mil contract

Demko to a 3 year 3.5 mil contract

I think we need to get faster and bigger. Would take any of Duchene, Panarin, Simmonds, and Ferland. Seems like the FA defenseman will command big money, I’d rather pay some forwards and develop Hughes/Juolevi and it may be unlikely but fingers crossed Tyramkin comes back. Get rid of some dead weight for picks/prospects. 

Sutter/Pouliot/Eriksson/Goldy/Baer some guys we could look to trade. 

Panarin/Duchene - Petey - Simmonds

Leivo - Bo - Boeser

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Juolevi - Tyramkin 

Hughes - Stetcher

Hutton/Sautner

Marky

Demko

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

The part that bugs me about the season is the clear mandate from TSN to run GM's down and try and force owners hands by creating debate. Jim Benning has done an excellent job and next year is the year he will be rated on. That being said

re-sign Edler. Bring in Hughes and Juolevi and lets play hockey. Maybe they get another pick in the pipeline and a surprise at training camp. Gaudette will take a big step next year. This team is not far from play-offs. All their young guns will be better next year.  

It certainly seems like the media are trying to influence public opinion.  Botch for 1 really wants to be GM :lol: I would be surprised if management or even ownership are listening.

I agree that less movement is more likely.  You have to wonder though if they feel that the future core is drafted already.  If this is the case, is it time to try to add supporting pieces through trade and free agency.  Benning has been adamant that he won't be moving draft picks this year as the Canucks host the draft.  

What Benning really needs to do is revamp the D and he has said this himself.  The question marks for me have been Hutton and Pouliot.  Hutton seems to be coming along.  I think we all know that Pouliot won't be back.  Since Hughes is soon to be signed and probably Edler, the left side is fine.  Moving Guddy was an early start on the revamp and he still needs to be replaced.  Worse case scenario they re-sign Schenn but I really think that Benning will be trying for a right hander some how.  This is very necessary since Tanev's health always seems to be an issue.

Up front, Benning has quietly added 3 middle 6 left wingers (Leivo, Pearson and Spooner).  The question marks here are Baertschi's health and whether they feel that Goldobin is going to be a top 6 winger or not.  I think that with the number of left wingers they have, Benning can afford to stand pat for a year to see who steps up (or not).  At centre, Gaudette has come along which means they have 5 NHL centres.  Do they move 1 or slide him over to the wing.  The way Benning likes his centres, he may well do this because they're missing a top 6 right winger.  So they may not have to do anything on the right side either and wait to see if Virtanen develops into the 2RW or not. 

To my mind, the year after next is the right time to make changes up front and start add some of the support pieces that will take them forward.  On the back end, we need to wait on Juolevi and Woo still.

Spare parts that could be moved along from are Granlund, Schaller.....what on earth can be done with Eriksson?

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Horvat Sutter

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Baertschi? MacEwen

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Myers?

Sautner Biega

Markstrom Demko

8 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

I think we need to get faster and bigger. Would take any of Duchene, Panarin, Simmonds, and Ferland. Seems like the FA defenseman will command big money, I’d rather pay some forwards and develop Hughes/Juolevi and it may be unlikely but fingers crossed Tyramkin comes back. Get rid of some dead weight for picks/prospects. 

Sutter/Pouliot/Eriksson/Goldy/Baer some guys we could look to trade. 

Panarin/Duchene - Petey - Simmonds

Leivo - Bo - Boeser

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Juolevi - Tyramkin 

Hughes - Stetcher

Hutton/Sautner

Marky

Demko

You don't want Simmonds, injuries and age have slowed him right down. Shell of his former self.

Archived