The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Eriksson for Zack Smith

I had an idea the other day: Loui Eriksson (+ pick or prospect) to Ottawa for Zack Smith, after July 1st. Why I think it might work for both sides: 

1) For Vancouver, Eriksson has a $6M cap hit for 3 more seasons, Smith has $3.25M for 2 more seasons. Big cap savings, and Zack expires right when Pettersson & Hughes will need new contracts.

2) For Ottawa, it's about cash, especially in the short term. After July 1st ($4M signing bonus), Loui only earns $9M of actual dollars for the rest of his contract, and next year he only makes 1M salary, so in the short term they save $2.25M on what they'd pay Zack. If they buy out the last season, they'll save an additional $1M in cash. Although they'd still pay more overall than Smith ($8M vs. $6.5M), they then effectively double the time (from 2 years to 4) they have to pay it out.

3) Ottawa has already expressed a desire to move on from Smith's contract, by placing him on waivers at the beginning of the year. However, the player reaction seems to indicate that Smith is a well-liked teammate. He also has the ability to play center, which also makes trading Sutter and/or letting Granlund go more palatable.

4) Eriksson's NMC becomes a NTC as of July 1st. So even if he doesn't want to waive it, a deal could be made where Ottawa claims him on waivers.

5) Benning and Dorian have a solid trade history, with the Burrows and Nilsson deals.

6) Smith has a 10-team no-trade list, but he is originally from Saskatchewan, so it's not likely that he'd object to playing in Western Canada.

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The only way Vancouver will be able to trade Eriksson is a contract for contract trade like Horton for Clarkson. So expect like a Milan Lucic or James Neal type trade.

He has value for teams trying to make it to the cap floor and not spend the money as highlighted by OP.  The traditional spot you would see Arizona or Florida if they weren't finally trying to climb out of the basement.

Would think about Neal, not sure about length of contract etc. so non-committal.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I had an idea the other day: Loui Eriksson (+ pick or prospect) to Ottawa for Zack Smith, after July 1st. Why I think it might work for both sides: 

1) For Vancouver, Eriksson has a $6M cap hit for 3 more seasons, Smith has $3.25M for 2 more seasons. Big cap savings, and Zack expires right when Pettersson & Hughes will need new contracts.

2) For Ottawa, it's about cash, and after July 1st ($4M signing bonus), Loui only earns $6M of actual dollars for the rest of his contract. Smith is owed the full $6.5M. In fact, next year Loui will only make $1M salary, so in the short term they save $2.25M. If they buy out the last season, they'll save an additional $1M in cash, so they'll save $1.5M total, and double the time (2 years to 4) they have to pay it out.

3) Ottawa has already expressed a desire to move on from Smith's contract, by placing him on waivers at the beginning of the year. However, the player reaction seems to indicate that Smith is a well-liked teammate. He also has the ability to play center, which also makes trading Sutter and/or letting Granlund go more palatable.

4) Eriksson's NMC becomes a NTC as of July 1st. So even if he doesn't want to waive it, a deal could be made where Ottawa claims him on waivers.

5) Benning and Dorian have a solid trade history, with the Burrows and Nilsson deals.

6) Smith has a 10-team no-trade list, but he is originally from Saskatchewan, so it's not likely that he'd object to playing in Western Canada.

This is definitely one of the more interesting ideas I've seen. 

59 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Interesting idea. What about we add Tanev, & they add Ceci? OTT fans are quite critical of the guy(RFA this summer)..but at least he appears pretty durable.

We need RhD placeholders until Tryamkin & Woo are here.

I think you're underestimating the downgrade Tanev for Ceci represents. A lot of statistical models rate Ceci as the worst defenseman in the league.

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think you're underestimating the downgrade Tanev for Ceci represents. A lot of statistical models rate Ceci as the worst defenseman in the league.

Could very well be true. Maybe they add the pick to balance? Guess I'd go rather far to dump LE's cap hit.

At any rate, I like both teams, & don't mind if they do further biz.

You may have something here.  

Capfriendly indicates LE has a NTC however,  is that correct?  If so, unlikely he waives it for Ottawa. 

I've read LE's contract described as buyout-proof but if there was a way.....only if there was a way.........

This may shed some more light:

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/10/23/vancouver-canucks-solve-loui-eriksson-problem/

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

You may have something here.  

Capfriendly indicates LE has a NTC however,  is that correct?  If so, unlikely he waives it for Ottawa. 

Addressed in the OP.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

He has value for teams trying to make it to the cap floor and not spend the money as highlighted by OP.  The traditional spot you would see Arizona or Florida if they weren't finally trying to climb out of the basement.

Would think about Neal, not sure about length of contract etc. so non-committal.

then why hasn't he been traded?

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Loui also still has value on the defensive side, and would be a good fit to help mentor all the kids that are going to be playing for Ottawa next year. I don't think Smith is going to bring much to be excited about, but something has to change. 

In addition, his statistics on the penalty kill back up Benning’s assertion that he’s one of the Canucks’ best penalty killers. He leads Canucks penalty killers with the lowest rate of shot attempts against, unblocked shot attempts against, shots against, and scoring chances against, and is second to Brandon Sutter in goals against. In fact, his penalty kill advanced stats suggest he’s one of the best penalty killers in the entire NHL.

The issue is that Eriksson has become a black hole offensively. While he’s managed 10 goals and 22 points this season, the Canucks barely score when he’s on the ice at 5-on-5.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jim-benning-expected-loui-eriksson-to-be-a-consistent-20-goal-scorer-1.23660256

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

then why hasn't he been traded?

Haha, I didn't say the value was high I just said that is the only value he would have.  

Now you just have to find a bad GM that is tanking and trying to get to the floor without spending the money.  I can't think of anyone in that situation.

I don't think he is going anywhere.  All I can say is at least we didn't sign Lucic.

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The only way Vancouver will be able to trade Eriksson is a contract for contract trade like Horton for Clarkson. So expect like a Milan Lucic or James Neal type trade.

Not true, Eriksson can still play. Eriksson could be a decent cap dump acquisition that can also provide some leadership for their kids while also being a defensive presence to allow their kids to be utilized more offensively. Similar to what we have going on here. I like this idea for both sides. Although it really depends on the prospect/pick going back to Ottawa. 

I suppose the other option is mutual termination on July 2nd. He could chose to go the Patrick Bergland route. Loui can probably make close to the 9 mil over 3 years he would have made anyway. i think a lot of teams would look at signing him at 2 mil per season. That might be preferable to him being dumped to one of 16 teams and city he has no control over. 

maybe in louie’s 5th year and the expansion draft, his modified ntc will allow a trade to seattle or elsewhere. i don’t know how much cap we’ld have to keep, but that is an option.  we need more johnny buyck’s. he would only sign one year contracts at a time. he said it kept him hungry. 

i’ve always liked louie. JB signed him for what he would do offensively. that hasn’t panned out but he is a valuable checking forward and penalty killer.  if he was only getting 750,000 a year would be hating him? 

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Addressed in the OP.

He has a full NTC until July 1st, 2020 so it is all up to Loui, similar to Edler. I just don't see why Eriksson or any other player would waive their NTC to go to Ottawa. I would like to see this deal happen but don't see anything positive on Eriksson's side to make him want to go there.

I made an error in my original OP. Eriksson is actually owed $9M over 3 years. However, in the short term, Ottawa still saves a lot of cash, as next year they'll have his $6M cap hit, while only paying $1M salary.

If they buy out the final year, they'll be paying $8M total over 4 years, versus $6.5M over 2 years for Smith.

Archived