The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Josh Teves

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't think Big Mac would be up to replace Sutter.  I think, in the NHL, Big Mac is a winger.  Gaudette replaces Sutter, and he's proven already he's ready to do so.  

I don't know what value Sutter has in trade, but I'm hoping Benning moves him.  

I would think moving Granlund would be easier.

42 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What could Granny get in return though?  Sutter is known as a very good shutdown center, when healthy.  Granny is a winger, who (IMO) have little to no trade value if picks are what we want back.  I see Sutter as getting us a pick or two.  Granny would return a player at about his level, kind of what Guddy did.

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

Man, if all a player has to do to be proven around here is play 4 games then Jayson Megna looks like a superstar....

He is only unproven because he hasn't gotten the chance. He has showed a pretty well rounded game in Utica.

Not a huge jump to say he could survive on a 4th line on one wing surrounded by vets like Roussel and Beagle.

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm talking about getting rid of Sutter, who is proven. We don't even KNOW if Macewen can win a faceoff.

No one said he had to. He is a winger.

They are not losing because they are missing Sutter.

They are losing because the d is not good enough and the depth forward lines are not scoring as much as they need to be.

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I would rather keep Granlund and move Sutter.  At this point I would take a 7th and retain some salary.  He is injured so often he is a virtual nonfactor.  Eriksson has been a bigger contributor than Sutter when considering their contracts.  

Granlund showed some moxie last night against the rangers.  He can play all forward positions, is young, kills penalties, defensively responsible.  Most importantly he doesn't get hurt all that often.  

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is only unproven because he hasn't gotten the chance. He has showed a pretty well rounded game in Utica.

Not a huge jump to say he could survive on a 4th line on one wing surrounded by vets like Roussel and Beagle.

That's not what you said though; thus, my response. lol

Also, unproven is unproven until proven. Obviously some players will have a better chance to prove themselves than others but that doesn't mean they are proven yet.

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I would rather keep Granlund and move Sutter.  At this point I would take a 7th and retain some salary.  He is injured so often he is a virtual nonfactor.  Eriksson has been a bigger contributor than Sutter when considering their contracts.  

Granlund showed some moxie last night against the rangers.  He can play all forward positions, is young, kills penalties, defensively responsible.  Most importantly he doesn't get hurt all that often.  

Fair enough. The Sutter/Granlund debate will forever go on. Both players have their strengths and weaknesses. Sutter is far better the PK and faceoff man. Granlund has slightly better offensive instincts. Depends on what you want.

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Granny is also 3 mil cheaper and is a good “extra man”. Sutter gets you more in a trade. His name still has cachet and he’s still viewed as a premier shut down player despite his injuries. Gaudette can’t fill his shutdown role but he’s also ready to be a full time center in the NHL, and provides a lot more offense. The kid was fabulous against the rangers, and has been getting better and better every game. They can’t stall his development for some guy who really isn’t part of the long term plan.

5 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Granny is also 3 mil cheaper and is a good “extra man”. Sutter gets you more in a trade. His name still has cachet and he’s still viewed as a premier shut down player despite his injuries. Gaudette can’t fill his shutdown role but he’s also ready to be a full time center in the NHL, and provides a lot more offense. The kid was fabulous against the rangers, and has been getting better and better every game. They can’t stall his development for some guy who really isn’t part of the long term plan.

Do we really believe that he is still looked at as an elite shutdown guy.  I think that is why Pitts moved on from him, he wasn't an elite shutdown guy and was coming off a decent offensive season so they sold high.

Things have gotten significantly worse since then.  I think he does need to go but think it won't happen until well into next season if he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Do we really believe that he is still looked at as an elite shutdown guy.  I think that is why Pitts moved on from him, he wasn't an elite shutdown guy and was coming off a decent offensive season so they sold high.

Things have gotten significantly worse since then.  I think he does need to go but think it won't happen until well into next season if he can stay healthy.

Pens moved him because they were in trouble cap wise.  The main guy they got for him replaced him quite nicely (was a better center in that he seemed to fit in well with Kessel....no surprise in that Bonino was a better playmaking center than Sutter).  Then the Pens moved on from Bonino years later when they later couldn’t afford to keep him capwise.  

On 3/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, DrJockitch said:

You seem to ignore the Pens cap space in all this. As @NewbieCanuckFan mentioned after Sutter they moved on from Bonino too. Since the arrival of Crosby and Malkin the Pens 3rd line centre has been a revolving door of affordable players due to salary cap. Nice luxury to have, sometimes they hit sometimes they miss Sutter, Bonino and now McCann have all been hits I’m sure they'll move McCann come payday too. 

On 3/15/2019 at 6:33 AM, DrJockitch said:

he's an excellent shutdown player when he's healthy.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, EP Phone Home said:

While I do get excited about new prospects and all. I really do wonder what are we doing with Matt Brassard. He is doing so well for a 7th round pick and I have no clue why we haven’t given him a contract yet. His stats and size is very impressive for where we took him. Not knocking this signing but just curious about the prospects we have that aren’t signed.

This isn't going to be the answer you were looking forward to...

46 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Yeah not what I was expecting but clearly there’s something Jim knows that we don’t see here.

Or we just don't have enough contract slots. It's why better drafting far outweighs having more draft picks day in day out.

Also, not exactly a bad position for us by any means. Perhaps even a sign of things to come in terms of actual competition to get signed in our draft pool.

Archived