The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Josh Teves

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The positive things from it possibly is that if he does well, perhaps we can look at moving someone like Hutton while his value is high. Or maybe it's insurance if Edler chooses to walk (of course he isn't going to replace what Edler provides, but if he's a decent player, he can eat some of the minutes in the meantime). Worst case is he bolsters Utica and adds some call up depth for our inevitable injuries.

I think the biggest thing might be that we use him as an excuse to sit Hughes out a few games to give him a look so Hughes doesn't end up playing more than 9 games.

That's fun to talk about. No waivers ( we get 60 NHL games or age 26 before he requires waivers ) with his signing age. And a new contract for Teves have to happen before that has to be an issue. Benning has always had a philosophy of keeping one or three more guys than CDC. So as to force camp battles & see who comes out with a job. 

Yes Benning has also always said we would make room, when any young players earns a roster spot..

But I doubt he will trade Hutton without taking a look at that battle this September first.

He's coming to Van as we speak. 

Lets look at his first game...

Sounds like, with his foot injury, he will play before Hughes?

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That's fun to talk about. No waivers ( we get 60 NHL games or age 26 before he requires waivers ) with his signing age. And a new contract for Teves have to happen before that has to be an issue. Benning has always had a philosophy of keeping one or three more guys than CDC. So as to force camp battles & see who comes out with a job. 

Yes Benning has also always said we would make room, when any young players earns a roster spot..

But I doubt he will trade Hutton without taking a look at that battle this September first.

He’s 24!  How much can we expect t him to improve?  

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Seems a little strange that we'd sign this guy to 925k for one year (THIS YEAR) and then have to resign him as a free agent this summer.

Are we that desperate to test out some new D before the end of the season and see who might have a chance of sticking?

54 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes, but cost isn't the question, his contract expires July 1st. Why not 2 years and expire next summer?

It's an ELC contract. He's 24, so it has to be one year. ( NHL rule ) No wiggle room. ( if he was 22 or 23 it would be a 2 year ELC )

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is he already 24?  isn't that kind of older for a prospect?  Maybe he's NHL ready?

For what it is worth, Johan Franzen was drafted by Detroit when he was 24.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Stecher was a guy that was not expected to make the team when we signed him. He forced his way onto the team. Of course we will have to see if Teves has this ability, but just saying if he does then we can explore our options. Like you said, he doesn't need waivers so if he has a great camp and shows he belongs, then we can keep him in Utica until we make room.

The new contract isn't a big issue as he will be an RFA and we simply need to qualify him with a 5% increase in pay or agree to terms. He's going to be our "property" next season regardless.

Of course the trading Hutton situation is a scenario where Teves shows he's a legit NHLer (which I doubt), but worst case scenario is he's Utica depth that cost nothing to acquire. But the point is that there are certainly examples of undrafted players coming out of college that step into the NHL. Which makes some sense as some dmen take longer to develop so they have the extra time in college to come into their own.

But of course we will see how he shows for the remainder of this season.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think Motte is going to be kept. Schenn seems like he deserves another look. Pouliot is done in Vancouver, safe to say.

Would be absolutely foolish to not keep Motte. Schenn deserves another look, I agree, but I would waive him at the start of the year so he can be Utica call depth rather than hold an NHL roster spot (that spot is for Biega). It would take a pretty desperate team to claim him.

Pouliot is likely done, unless he's comfortable being a 7/8 guy like Biega. I think he rather give it a shot on another team though as he's still relatively young.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Pronman isn't a scout - he's a googler and a pretender.  Who cares what he thinks?  Not me.

Does it matter that I too am a pretender ?

A fan nonetheless, I like the signing. Sounds like the right kind of kid to develop in the Canucks organization with his office interests alone. 

His game if able to translate to the NHL is exactly what Vancouver and the other 30 teams need more of. Again as a fan I'd assume with multiple interested clubs he has to be doing something right.

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

They don't need  to. His contract expires this year. Motte Pouliot and Shenn come off the books is they're smart.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

It's about attracting NCAA free agents this season by burning immediately a year off their ELCs.  Canucks are at 48 contracts. 

Patrick Johnston@risingaction on twitter:

Side point: Canucks were also in on Max Veronneau, who ended up signing with Ottawa. If they'd have signed him, would have put Canucks at 49 contracts. You're allowed 50. They harbour dreams of signing Nico Sturm, so needed to hold a spot for him. Helps explain Lockwood delay.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Stecher was a guy that was not expected to make the team when we signed him. He forced his way onto the team. Of course we will have to see if Teves has this ability, but just saying if he does then we can explore our options. Like you said, he doesn't need waivers so if he has a great camp and shows he belongs, then we can keep him in Utica until we make room.

The new contract isn't a big issue as he will be an RFA and we simply need to qualify him with a 5% increase in pay or agree to terms. He's going to be our "property" next season regardless.

Of course the trading Hutton situation is a scenario where Teves shows he's a legit NHLer (which I doubt), but worst case scenario is he's Utica depth that cost nothing to acquire. But the point is that there are certainly examples of undrafted players coming out of college that step into the NHL. Which makes some sense as some dmen take longer to develop so they have the extra time in college to come into their own.

But of course we will see how he shows for the remainder of this season.

Its only my opinion?

But my memory is Stecher was a lot more sought after. Princeton is not insignificant. I have Ryan Kuffner, his teammate drafted in several pools. A good team actually. But UND is a big, well funded US hockey program. Troy was a key player. I was a lot more excited when he signed. Just came off a national championship...

I think I looked past Teves due to his age.

I also will re-mention Benning & Bracket seem to think a lot of Teves. Their bringing him directly into Vancouver to win his contract.  

He's here, we'll see soon.

He's a Canuck, I am going to cheer for him! 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

It's about attracting NCAA free agents this season by burning immediately a year off their ELCs.  Canucks are at 48 contracts. 

Patrick Johnston@risingaction on twitter:

Side point: Canucks were also in on Max Veronneau, who ended up signing with Ottawa. If they'd have signed him, would have put Canucks at 49 contracts. You're allowed 50. They harbour dreams of signing Nico Sturm, so needed to hold a spot for him. Helps explain Lockwood delay.

Benning said they left the decision with Lockwood. Although I think I heard the words AHL in Bennings interview. Not directly with the big club. 

And he's going to get back to them after he gets the chance to talk to his Michigan coaches. And his family. It sounds as a senior year is being considered. Considering his injury history, it would not be a bad decision.  

I like Benning.  He sounds very respectful in letting the players have input. But nonetheless have offered a contract to Lockwood if he wants it.

If its 50, its 50 adding Sturm.  I don't think they'll complain.  And some contracts can also come off the books.  I would not be surprised if Pouliot or Granlund were not offered a new pact? At the AHL level, Kero, Gaunce & Boucher wont all be back. If they are, I only see Gaunce as an NHL pact. McEneny is actually a UFA.  Michael Leighton will not be back I'm sure...

There will be a way to make space for Lockwood soon enough. He'll be at training camp if that is what he decides to do.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think Motte is going to be kept. Schenn seems like he deserves another look. Pouliot is done in Vancouver, safe to say.

Motte is a no brainer.  

Pouliot?  I think he'll get another pact.  Schenn an AHL pact.  They can sign him to an NHL pact if they want to call him up. Pouliot's fancy stats wont be as bad as most make them out to be.  

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Benning said they left the decision with Lockwood. Although I think I heard the words AHL in Bennings interview. Not directly with the big club. 

And he's going to get back to them after he gets the chance to talk to his Michigan coaches. And his family. It sounds as a senior year is being considered. Considering his injury history, it would not be a bad decision.  

I like Benning.  He sounds very respectful in letting the players have input. But nonetheless have offered a contract to Lockwood if he wants it.

If its 50, its 50 adding Sturm.  I don't think they'll complain.  And some contracts can also come off the books.  I would not be surprised if Pouliot or Granlund were not offered a new pact? At the AHL level, Kero, Gaunce & Boucher wont all be back. If they are, I only see Gaunce as an NHL pact. McEneny is actually a UFA.  Michael Leighton will not be back I'm sure...

There will be a way to make space for Lockwood soon enough. He'll be at training camp if that is what he decides to do.

Next year is not the issue - it's for now.  NCAA players typically like to burn the 1st year of their contracts - it's a selling point when there are several teams interested.

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Next year is not the issue - it's for now.  NCAA players typically like to burn the 1st year of their contracts - it's a selling point when there are several teams interested.

Probably why we heard Benning mention AHL for Lockwood.  ie they'll give him an AHL pact for the balance of this year. They can pay him what they want in the AHL > he might make $100, even $200K for the balance of the year.  To a college kid, that's a lot! Its also best for his development, and the Comets could use a feisty body for a play off run.

Then a $92.5K signing bonus July 1, and a pact for next season.

There are ways to make it valuable for the player like Lockwood either way...

edit: which leaves a NHL contract for Sturm regardless.

Archived