The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Celebs charged with fraud in buying their children’s admission to top colleges

nuckin_futz

33 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Not surprising though. Students in university here cheat all the time and there's nothing prestigious about the universities here. Foreigners pay all of this money to come here and cheat; they take good positions in class from local students who also want to cheat. 

I sat behind you in Calculus and cheated off of you in our Finals.  Needless to say I failed.  Lesson learned.:P

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I sat behind you in Calculus and cheated off of you in our Finals.  Needless to say I failed.  Lesson learned.:P

And I sat behind you, I don't know who I am more mad at you or the guy in front of you.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Not at all surprised and, for me, this isn't news.  It happens all day every day.

It's kind of nice, though, when it's exposed and addressed....makes the world a bit more legit and an even playing field.  Those with money can't buy their way into everything...some things have to be earned.

I honestly don't feel like it helps their children....what sense of accomplishment comes from cheating?  One day it'll be uncovered and then they'll have to prove their worth outside a dollar value.  To answer for greased palms that put them ahead of where they should be.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not at all surprised and, for me, this isn't news.  It happens all day every day.

It's kind of nice, though, when it's exposed and addressed....makes the world a bit more legit and an even playing field.  Those with money can't buy their way into everything...some things have to be earned.

I honestly don't feel like it helps their children....what sense of accomplishment comes from cheating?  One day it'll be uncovered and then they'll have to prove their worth outside a dollar value.  To answer for greased palms that put them ahead of where they should be.

It called fake it till you make it 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh cheating is very rampant in high school and university. 

I can recall seeing many students in high school and university cheating.. for a variety of different reasons; Sports scholarships, pressure from home, etc...

My advice to young high school graduates is to first move out of your home town and find a job in a trade and/or service.. unless you are really smart of course.

After all the game of life is money ... doesn’t matter how you slice it. 

Edited by drummer4now

22 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

Another example of how university is mostly a meaningless credential that applies privilege and namesake but little else. Much like private schools, I've met far more dummies in the private system than the public - only the private system let's you rub shoulders with and get sweet heart contracts from your rich buddies.

Go get a trade or perform a service, read Chaucer and Marx on your own time.

STEM fields say hello. 

A BC Businessman has been charged in buying their children's way into top colleges:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/david-sidoo-vancouver-college-admissions-scam-1.5055205

A prominent businessman and philanthropist in B.C. is among dozens of wealthy parents implicated in a nationwide college admissions scandal in the United States. David Sidoo, 59, is accused of paying more than $200,000 to have someone write SATs for his two sons, who were ultimately accepted to prestigious universities in California based on applications citing the phony scores.

Court documents filed in the U.S. reveal how prosecutors claim David Sidoo did it:  with secrecy, fake IDs and money.

Documents describe orchestrator, a test-taker and a parent

Sidoo was charged with conspiracy to commit fraud on March 5, accused of working with the orchestrator of the entire U.S. nationwide scheme.

Officials said Sidoo agreed to pay William Rick Singer to have someone take three tests for his sons: one SAT each and a Canadian high school graduation exam for the elder son.

Singer has pleaded guilty to being the so-called ringleader at the head of the admissions scandal, having taken millions from more than 30 parents in exchange for boosting their children's chances of getting accepted to leading American schools.

Prosecutors said Singer chose Mark Riddell, another one of his alleged co-conspirators, to write SATs for Sidoo's sons.

Fake IDs used to impersonate teenage sons: prosecutors

Riddell is well-versed in the tests, having worked as a "devoted" adviser helping students prepare for SATs and ACTs — standard college admissions exams in the U.S. — at IMG Academy, an elite sports-oriented high school in Bradenton, Fla., for 13 years.

At a news conference on Tuesday, U.S. officials described Riddell as "just smart enough to get a near-perfect [test] score on demand" or calibrate a desired score.

Capability aside, Sidoo and Singer needed to figure out how to get Riddell, then about 29 years old, into the exam room in the place of the two teenagers.

Prosecutors said Sidoo and Singer worked together to create fake IDs.

Sidoo allegedly sent copies of his son's real identification, like their drivers' licences, so Singer could make fake ones for Riddell.

The indictment said those ID's showed Riddell's photo, but Sidoos' sons' names.

Prosecutors said Riddell flew from Tampa, Fla., to Vancouver to take the first SAT for Sidoo's older son on Dec. 3, 2011, having been directed not to get "too high" a score so it would appear believable.

Riddell was hired again to take a high school exam for the same son six months later on June 9, 2012. Again, prosecutors said he flew from Tampa to Vancouver to write the test.

The indictment said Sidoo paid another $100,000 to have Riddell write a SAT in Los Angeles, this time for his younger son, that same fall.

Court documents said Singer paid more than $5,500 to cover Riddell's travel costs.

The indictment said Sidoo wired payments to Singer's company bank account in January 2013. None of the allegations against Sidoo have been proven in court.

Mark Riddell worked as an exam-prep adviser at a prestigious sports-oriented high school in Florida until he was suspended in light of a nationwide college admissions scandal in the United States. He's accused of writing three exams — two SATs and a high school graduation test — for two sons of a Vancouver-based businessman. (IMG Academy)

Sidoo's sons were ultimately accepted to elite universities in California based on applications citing those SAT scores. The older son enrolled at the University of California-Berkeley, while the younger was accepted at the private Chapman University.

Riddell was charged with conspiracy to commit fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering earlier this month. Singer has pleaded guilty to the charges against him.

On Tuesday, U.S. officials said other parents accused of working with Singer spent hundreds of thousands of dollars — some as much as $6.5 million — to guarantee their children's admission to leading schools.

I thought Universities were all moving to broad based admission....

Using interviews.... where University could select  kids form families that donate to the University.... and kids from politically connected families to get priority over other more deserving kids....

This news is so upsetting....

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I thought Universities were all moving to broad based admission....

Using interviews.... where University could select  kids form families that donate to the University.... and kids from politically connected families to get priority over other more deserving kids....

This news is so upsetting....

This is why exam based system is way, way better. Its much harder to cheat the exam based system 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

The not so funny part is the hundreds of jobs lost... As Hallmark and the company who does the garage sale mysteries has now cut ties with Loughlin and shut it all down, everyone working on those projects which were all filmed up here locally, are SOL.

I doubt hundreds were involved in that show. Some dozens would be affected though. As for any movies they'll just swap her out and carry on.  Hallmark movies won't stop. I know a director who does 1 to 2 year for a rather large payday as he's done with doing passion projects and can buy another house everr film or two....  They churn those out like crazy.