The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Positive Look at The Season

Off_The_Schneid!

I just wanted to bring a little positivity to the table 

I remember last off season everyone in the media mentioning where will the production come from with the void left from the sedins ? 

I think a lot of fans are forgetting it’s the first season without our top two forwards so I thought I’d bring a little positivity to the table as a look back on the season 

- Goaltending : Markstrom establishing himself as a #1 goaltender and Demko gaining valuable experience. Our goaltending situation looks set in the future with Dipietro also set to begin his tenor in Utica next season 

- Petterson : There were questions whether he could even play Center in the NHL, well those questions were quickly squashed and he’s established himself as a true franchise #1 center moving forward 

- Boeser: Another solid year of point production especially after coming off a season ending back injury that limited his off season training 

- Horvat: Just another year in the books for the future captain , the work horse of the team, career year. 

Stetcher/Hutton : Valuable development year, stepped up and proved they belong in this league. Huge improvement from last year 

Virtanen: Another step in his development, continues to improve and gain the coaches trust

Hughes: He’s signed! That’s a positive any games he plays will only help his devolement 

Gaudette: He has shown flashes of that offense we’ve seen in his college highlights and hasn’t been a detriment in defence . A solid prospect 

Leivo: A solid addition to the team and probably Bennings best trade to date. Has been consistently one of our best players

Motte: Solidified his role as a solid 4th line player and one of those key players you need to compete. One of the more under rated players on the team coming from another Scrutinized Benning trade 

Roussel/ Beagle : Solid Free agent signings, Roussel with secondary scoring and that extra bite. Beagle with PK and face offs to help out Horvat, especially with our lack of center depth 

I think with all these positives from the year and the fact that we are going to be drafting an extremely good player in the first round this year with high lottery odds it couldn’t have been a better season as far as development and the future of the franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

It’s his second pro season 

What does that have to do with his overall 2 way game lol, he was fine last season.

Major injury and came in a little bulky probably hurting his speed, but he's been a major liability this whole season pretty much. Constant turnovers from poor decision making.

I'm sure he'll have a solid off season of training and come back a better overall player!

Appreciate the attempt to view the sunny side..we addicted(& mostly informed) fans tend to project to better days(surely on their way?). Type of therapeutic daydreaming, perhaps?

So this faith then gets predictably challenged, tested & mocked from the trolls, HFHaters(purporting to be "fans"), & some nasty media, carrying out their lackey, saboteur-causes..in order to keep separate Cdn(especially) fanbases at each others' throats. These cycles play out annually now, as the Cup winner goes to someone south of the border.

A lot of CDC'ers knew a tough yr was in store. For the Canucks, I maintain equal doses of acceptance(cos' going young) & optimism. For the league, in general, every yr I'm afraid it feels I'm increasingly losing trust(integrity of sport), & interest in the other teams, & how it's being run.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I just wanted to bring a little positivity to the table 

I remember last off season everyone in the media mentioning where will the production come from with the void left from the sedins ? 

I think a lot of fans are forgetting it’s the first season without our top two forwards so I thought I’d bring a little positivity to the table as a look back on the season 

- Goaltending : Markstrom establishing himself as a #1 goaltender and Demko gaining valuable experience. Our goaltending situation looks set in the future with Dipietro also set to begin his tenor in Utica next season 

- Petterson : There were questions whether he could even play Center in the NHL, well those questions were quickly squashed and he’s established himself as a true franchise #1 center moving forward 

- Boeser: Another solid year of point production especially after coming off a season ending back injury that limited his off season training 

- Horvat: Just another year in the books for the future captain , the work horse of the team, career year. 

Stetcher/Hutton : Valuable development year, stepped up and proved they belong in this league. Huge improvement from last year 

Virtanen: Another step in his development, continues to improve and gain the coaches trust

Hughes: He’s signed! That’s a positive any games he plays will only help his devolement 

Gaudette: He has shown flashes of that offense we’ve seen in his college highlights and hasn’t been a detriment in defence . A solid prospect 

Leivo: A solid addition to the team and probably Bennings best trade to date. Has been consistently one of our best players

Motte: Solidified his role as a solid 4th line player and one of those key players you need to compete. One of the more under rated players on the team coming from another Scrutinized Benning trade 

Roussel/ Beagle : Solid Free agent signings, Roussel with secondary scoring and that extra bite. Beagle with PK and face offs to help out Horvat, especially with our lack of center depth 

I think with all these positives from the year and the fact that we are going to be drafting an extremely good player in the first round this year with high lottery odds it couldn’t have been a better season as far as development and the future of the franchise. 

The start Pettersson had blinded some people to the fact that we still had a very raw team in the beginning of a transition period.  It was always going to be a tough season to get through.  You add in all the various injuries to our core players as well as media and fan scrutiny and all the other excuses we tell ourselves and it only made things worse.

Through it all we saw an emergence from the players that really matter moving forward: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher and Hutton, like you've mentioned, and to lesser extent, Goldobin.

The acquisitions of Beagle, Roussel, Motte and Leivo have been a boon to the potential of our bottom 6 moving forward.  It's too early to tell what kind of impact Pearson and Spooner will have on the team, but the added competion for next season is a good thing.

Finally, where would this team be without Markstrom.  Dead last, that's where.  

You'll have one side arguing that he ruined our chances at drafting 1st overall, and you'll have the other saying it allowed our team to stay competitive for the development of our young core.  Regardless of what side you're on, the fact that Markstrom is among the league leaders in most goaltending stats is unbelievable condsidering the mash up of defensemen he's had infront of him all year.

Exciting times are on the horizon.  There's no point in fretting over the negatives during this journey.  Focus on the positives and enjoy the ride for what it is.

As someone who has given Edler so much $&!# over the last few years, I've gotta admit he's been great this season. 

Shoutout to Hutton and Stetcher for taking big strides this year as well.

This is going to be a dynamic team going forward. Can't wait to watch it grow 

Underselling Roussel quite a bit; going to be a career year for him by far should be 35-40 (always good when that’s in the first not last year of the deal) if Roussel maintains a career average next two years Bennington will look like a genius for what Rooster brings to the table 

From a certain light the season couldn’t have been scripted better.  

EP is a lot better then anyone could have hoped for, a Calder front runner (Binningtons cooled off so his biggest competition isn’t white hot anymore), and he’s playing center.

Horvat has proved he’s also capable of playing with spare parts and putting up points without any wingmen.

Could go on, injuries again de-railed any playoff aspirations, but when the teams healthy it’s right in the mix.

Markstroms our MVP at this point, who would have thought that would happen at this point...not me.  

5 on 5 we are better than the last couple years...

Our defense is a glaring issue, not our scoring (which is also an issue, but mostly just the PP which will improve, maybe as soon as Hughes plays his first game)...

Hughes in a week?  And less than 10 games please.  Which will mean three rookies have joined the team, and two of them are star potential types.  

And best of all we have another crack at the bat for an impact player at the draft. Next year OJ and maybe Woo... things are looking up.

I think this is bottoming out, as one poster said above without Markstrom we’d be challenged to beat OTT in the standings this year.  And even though we finally are taking our medicine, there is plenty to look forward too.

Gone pretty much exactly as I thought. EP and Markstrom overachieving, Boeser with the sophomore mini-slump, he also bulked up and has had to make some adjustments.

Other than that, just glad we didn't have to witness a hot start and then a 6 month slow drag to the bottom due to aging and ineffective leadership. 

Would have been nice if Bo could step up a bit more I guess.  Hot garbage everywhere else as expected.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Tampa has had as dominant season so far as far back as I can remember.  Only lost 13 times so far this to date.  Who was responsible for one of those thirteen losses?  The Canucks!

Take any victories you can! :P

And we've had enjoyable games beating both Calgary and Toronto! And of course Edmonton.

We are going to lose games. More than we win this season. But as long as the few wins we get are to these teams, its all good B)

2 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Other than that, just glad we didn't have to witness a hot start and then a 6 month slow drag to the bottom due to aging and ineffective leadership.

well not sure what you are watching

team was in the playoff chase until the good teams really started playing

team is currently in 6th last place and trending downwards

no different then the past 3 years

but you may be right it is less due to aging this season ?

team is overall younger so there is that

Copy Pasta from another thread.  Its relevant here.

This team has been competetive in 90%+ of games.  Almost no stinkers so far.

Take out the Vegas game last week, and can you name the last?

THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THIS TO LAST YEAR'S TEAMS!

If you are treading water, or are slightly better 1 year into the official rebuild, things are going fine.

I see this team as far, far ahead of this time last year.

Pettersson, obviously has been a revelation.

Hughes is here. Big unknown. Still, when was the last time an even potential #1 rookie D laced em up for the team?

Gaudette looks like he might be turning into a hell of a 2b center.

Goldy has grown this season. I want to see him for at least one more year.

Stecher is quickly becoming one of the best middle D in the game!  Eating up minutes and a high +- on this team!

Hutton picked his career out of the gutter and has been.. better than last year.

Edler the old man is even playing the best season of his life.

Biega is playing the best hockey of his life too.

Boeser is still almost at a PPG, despite "struggling".  He will be just fine. Bridge deal incoming.  Best case scenario for us, btw.

Horvat has emerged as a future Selke candidate this season.  Shouldering a HUGE D load, while still putting up points.

We had no Roussel last year.  30 point 4th line agitator?  NICE SIGNING, BENNING.  Amazing even.

Motte has been a revelation.

Eriksson is Eriksson.

Beagle has been dry offensively, but he is a big reason Petey gets all those O zone starts.  And he barks.

We are two forwards and two NHL D away from mid pack contention.

And perhaps 2-3 seasons from breakout top contention.

Drafting well now, is what sets up replacement depth for the next wave of core changes / retooling.

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT.  Things are not as gloomy as they seem.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

well not sure what you are watching

team was in the playoff chase until the good teams really started playing

team is currently in 6th last place and trending downwards

no different then the past 3 years

but you may be right it is less due to aging this season ?

team is overall younger so there is that

Point being that even though we will basically end up in the same spot as the last few seasons, the route we have taken to get there is different this year due to the fact....blah blah blah, as this is a positivity thread, I'll just leave it at that.

Archived