The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Positive Look at The Season

Off_The_Schneid!

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Easy to be positive about the team, not so much the management.

Lots of positives in the system.

Ottawa fans will be saying the same soon as well. 

I don’t understand the Benning negativity 

I think he’s done a great job 

everyone wants him to trade off everyone for picks, well those picks aren’t necessarily better then the players he would be trading 

Just now, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I don’t understand the Benning negativity 

I think he’s done a great job 

everyone wants him to trade off everyone for picks, well those picks aren’t necessarily better then the players he would be trading 

Sure, true about the iffy picks.

There’s plenty more to that story though. 

Other posters here still care enough to type out essays for either side of the coin, but I gave up a long time ago. 

FTR, totally want JB fired after watching EP get hurt again tonight. 

Its just a matter of time before EP starts racking up injuries from being targeted. 

Maybe then.

You’re welcome to your own opinion of how the team has been managed and JB though. I know my views aren’t very popular, in the beginning. 

22 hours ago, shiznak said:

I wouldn’t say Boeser is having a solid year.......maybe point wise........but his overall game has struggled. Not that it was good to being with. 

Interesting viewpoint... since points wise it's a season which just about any observer would rate as solid.

Especially when he is trying to come back from a season ending broken back... did you really think he could shrug off that type of injury, especially when he couldn't train properly in the off season???

You know what?  If he gets out of this season uninjured, and he comes back next year and has another season like this one... then you can say he is underperforming.

But lets wait and see... ;)

April 9.  Our seasons fruition’s get decided...circle the calendar, get some beer and popcorn...and thank god we don’t have to watch the talking heads hit Linden up for his thoughts on it only to watch his crestfallen face again.  This time it will probably be Benning..and let’s turn that frown upside down.

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Other posters here still care enough to type out essays for either side of the coin, but I gave up a long time ago. 

Its just a matter of time before EP starts racking up injuries from being targeted. 

Maybe then.

You’re welcome to your own opinion of how the team has been managed and JB though. I know my views aren’t very popular, in the beginning. 

I’ve supported Benning and wanted him to get re-signed so he could have a chance to manage these players he’s drafted...but there are some cracks appearing that have moved me to more in the middle ... after Dahlen getting traded I’m not as sure he’s the right guy anymore.  Went back and read some of the comments he made about Dahlen playing with EP eventually and how high he was on him (just a year ago he was named as one of his “untouchables”.   Someone made a thread regarding how this might affect EPs view of this organization.  Benning will either be a genius by putting him somewhere he won’t have as an easy time moving up because he thinks he won’t ever play in the NHL, of a huge goat on this deal.

Ive lost respect for him over that and don’t mind saying so.  Still want to see how thing go but not as sure anymore...

All in all it is positive to see the younger players start to step up and lead this team after the retirement of the Sedins who provided leadership and scoring for a long time.

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Maybe then.

What does Petterson getting elbowed have to do with Benning?

49 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

What does Petterson getting elbowed have to do with Benning?

I will answer that.  As a long time fan of this team I’m proud to say there was a long period of time that we were not pushed around, and our stars were mostly off limits.  Can’t say that about this team which grates me.  It’s not all on  Benning, the game has changed (and not necessarily for the better) it’s open season now on a lot of teams including ours where stars are targeted without any sort of deterrent.   But it is on him too for not combing the minors and find some guys that can protect all the players and are willing to do anything to stay up.  PIT already knows the value of adding Guddy given what their stars have to put up with come playoff time.   Just go back and see the comments management made a few years ago.   

Our team sucks and is going to suck, get rid of Granlund, Schaller, Sutter, Poo, maybe JV maybe Tanev.  And introduce some guys that will fight and keep the peace and make it awfully hard to come into our arena and push us around.  THEN add skill as it comes in and keep the best of the rest.  It’s not rocket science.  Even Keenan understood this in the dark days, he made sure that his best players weren’t elbowed and mugged during nothing games that mean nothing other then a good draft pick.  How’s that for an answer 189lbs, does it seem about right?

Notice I didn’t include Pearson or Schenn? Why?  At least they kind of fill that role a little bit.  Speed is not the be all end all.  How’s Hughes going to manage with NHL players?  They are way faster than most college players negating his biggest advantage...and good luck clearing the net.   Can’t wait to see him play though..

edit;  why’d I include JV?  Because he had all the tools and plays on the perimeter.  Trade him.  

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

All in all it is positive to see the younger players start to step up and lead this team after the retirement of the Sedins who provided leadership and scoring for a long time.

You bet.   Two things I’m looking forward to more than anything for the rest of the season..Hughes playing and the draft.  Playoffs too, got to see the competition and this year at least two Canadian teams have a shot (hint they are both in our conference)...but mostly the first two.

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   Two things I’m looking forward to more than anything for the rest of the season..Hughes playing and the draft.  Playoffs too, got to see the competition and this year at least two Canadian teams have a shot (hint they are both in our conference)...but mostly the first two.

Calgary has no shot this year with that goaltending. They won't make it by Vegas who looks to be their likely opponent in round 1. 

Winnipeg is a contender though. 

To me, this has been a great year.  We have been competitive in most games, and they have been pretty entertaining to watch.  We don't have depth, nor do any rebuidling teams, so injuries have crushed us.  I don't have the stats, but I'd bet that in the games that we have had both Tanev and Edler in the lineup, our PPG would put us comfortably in the playoff picture.  No excuse, but this roster is pretty good when healthy.  We will likely add Hughes and Joulevi to our D depth which will go a long way.

In terms of the young guys

The Good

Ep-  Better than anyone could hope.  He is a franchise player.

Horvat- Continuing to grow as a leader and will set a new career high for points this week.  Could get 60.

Boeser- I don't think his play has been great, but is still producing.  A healthy offseason will be huge.  His wrist and hip injuries have impacted him big time this year.

Virtanen- Has had a very good season.  I expect him to take another step next year.  Has been dominant at times, and has had very few bad games.

Gaudette- Will be a key piece for us.  I love his game and think he will be a great 3rd line centre

Leivo-   he is a steal.  Could be a great 3rd line 25 goal winger with size.

Stetcher-  He has been great this year.  Maybe the most improved player on the team other than Markstrom.

Hutton-  See above.  Maybe not as big an improvement, but huge growth year.

The Bad/OK

Goldobin- Has had a ton of opportunities and fallen flat.  I'd trade him for a pick at the draft.

Demko-  Has been put in some difficult games, but hasn't been very good.  Not super worried, but he has not stood out in a good away as of yet.  

Motte-  Has shown flashes, but really is a replaceable player who disappears for long stretches.

Prospects

The Good

Hughes-  Was very hyped coming into the year and has backed it up so far

Woo- Might be our best prospect after Hughes

Brisebois-  Has earned a good hard look at camp next year.  May make guys like Biega and Pouliott disposable.

Madden-  Still has a long way to go, but has looked very promising for a 3rd round pick

Rathbone- see above, played well above what you'd expect for a 4th rounder

Joulevi- Maybe by myself here, but I thought he was very good in Utica to start the year.  I still expect him to be in our top 4 by xmas.  Injuries have slowed his progress, but he is still a legit prospect.

Lockwood- Will likely sign this year.  Had a very good year at Michigan.  Again, projects well for a 3rd rounder.

MacEwen- Very good season in Utica.  Could be a guys top watch at camp next year.  Has great size and some grit.

DiPietro-  had a great CHL season, and played well for Team Canada.  When was the last time we had a team canada starting goalie?

The Bad/Ok

-Lind-  Pretty rough start to his pro career.  I get he's a rookie, but 3 goals in 44 games is not what was expected.

-Brasard/Eliot-  Strong stats as overagers, but will have to take huge steps to make the Comets.

-Gadjovich-  I'd rather have Torts.  He has had a really rough season.

-Chatfield-  Though he was going to be much better this year.  Is closer to the ECHL than the NHL.

All in all, we took positive strides with our young guys this year.  I really expected us to hang around for a while this year and fall off when injuries hit.  That is exactly what happened.  We were in a playoff spot not too long ago, before Edler and Tanev went down.  We replaced the Sedins production, which was a huge question mark.  We have Hughes, and hopefully our 1st round pick this year as a+ prospects, and a bunch of B, B+ guys who could go either way.  I think we will land a big time player this year.  I really think Panarin comes here on a very expensive long term deal.  I do think there is hope that we make the playoffs next year.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I will answer that.  As a long time fan of this team I’m proud to say there was a long period of time that we were not pushed around, and our stars were mostly off limits.  Can’t say that about this team which grates me.  It’s not all on  Benning, the game has changed (and not necessarily for the better) it’s open season now on a lot of teams including ours where stars are targeted without any sort of deterrent.   But it is on him too for not combing the minors and find some guys that can protect all the players and are willing to do anything to stay up.  PIT already knows the value of adding Guddy given what their stars have to put up with come playoff time.   Just go back and see the comments management made a few years ago.   

Our team sucks and is going to suck, get rid of Granlund, Schaller, Sutter, Poo, maybe JV maybe Tanev.  And introduce some guys that will fight and keep the peace and make it awfully hard to come into our arena and push us around.  THEN add skill as it comes in and keep the best of the rest.  It’s not rocket science.  Even Keenan understood this in the dark days, he made sure that his best players weren’t elbowed and mugged during nothing games that mean nothing other then a good draft pick.  How’s that for an answer 189lbs, does it seem about right?

Notice I didn’t include Pearson or Schenn? Why?  At least they kind of fill that role a little bit.  Speed is not the be all end all.  How’s Hughes going to manage with NHL players?  They are way faster than most college players negating his biggest advantage...and good luck clearing the net.   Can’t wait to see him play though..

edit;  why’d I include JV?  Because he had all the tools and plays on the perimeter.  Trade him.  

I agree to a certain extent but that elbow was a bit of a fluke just a backwards body check gone wrong. You’ll see 100 of those hits around the league in a night without an elbow being delivered to the head .  Even if we had two lines of Derek Dorset type players it wouldn’t protect Petterson from one unlucky hit and Kreider was tossed so there was nothing anyone could do after the fact 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Calgary has no shot this year with that goaltending. They won't make it by Vegas who looks to be their likely opponent in round 1. 

Winnipeg is a contender though. 

Still id five Calgary better odds than TO besting a Boston...and their prize for doing that TB.  Pretty slim odds..you never know though..

Just now, IBatch said:

Still id five Calgary better odds than TO besting a Boston...and their prize for doing that TB.  Pretty slim odds..you never know though..

Oh Calgary has much better odds than TO imo I just don't see them getting out of the Pacific. The upside for them is Smith’s deal expires and they can sign a real starting goalie and be a legit cup threat next year. 

36 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I agree to a certain extent but that elbow was a bit of a fluke just a backwards body check gone wrong. You’ll see 100 of those hits around the league in a night without an elbow being delivered to the head .  Even if we had two lines of Derek Dorset type players it wouldn’t protect Petterson from one unlucky hit and Kreider was tossed so there was nothing anyone could do after the fact 

I agree. My point is if players knew without a fact that they’d have to pay the piper for their actions they wouldn’t be as brash (Matheson) or irresponsible (MTL)  about how they play against us.  It is what it is, but I for one feel bad for how our key guys have to go into battle without the protection that former stars had beside them.  I’ve talked about this until I’m blue in the face, some get it, some don’t.   I just wish Benning did before something disgusting or major happens.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I’ve supported Benning and wanted him to get re-signed so he could have a chance to manage these players he’s drafted...but there are some cracks appearing that have moved me to more in the middle ... after Dahlen getting traded I’m not as sure he’s the right guy anymore.  Went back and read some of the comments he made about Dahlen playing with EP eventually and how high he was on him (just a year ago he was named as one of his “untouchables”.   Someone made a thread regarding how this might affect EPs view of this organization.  Benning will either be a genius by putting him somewhere he won’t have as an easy time moving up because he thinks he won’t ever play in the NHL, of a huge goat on this deal.

Ive lost respect for him over that and don’t mind saying so.  Still want to see how thing go but not as sure anymore...

I was rather neutral on the trade to begin with. He said, she said situation. Benning says he asked to be traded, and Dahlen says he didn't ask to be traded. That doesn't mean either is a liar  though. Where it grays out is it went through Dahlen's agent. So it really comes down to what his agent said to Benning. It could well be Dahlen didn't specifically ask his agent to be moved, but his agent did ask Benning to move him simply because his client was unhappy.

That said, I don't see why Benning would move him without actually being asked by the agent. He hasn't been a shining star in Utica nor has he been rubbish. There was no reason to move him without a request. Now I lean towards the agent taking matters into his own hands.

Archived