Hughes - Woo

Hutton - _____

Juolevi - _____

Rathbone

(still need more at RD)

Markstrom

Demko

There are definitely a few positives to come out of this season:

1. The clock has begun to tick loudly on JB's remaining time as GM:  I do appreciate the loyalty he's shown at times with players for time served (more on this soon), and props for the changes up front, but given the nuclear disaster our back end has been at times this season, even with Edler and/or Tanev available, I think ownership will be putting the pressure on Benning to make some big changes to at least have a realistic chance at the playoffs next season.  That means, for the fans, an interesting off-season, but at the same time, it creates worries that, if a splash cannot be made in free agency, then players like Woo, OJ and Hughes will be pushed onto the big club to be seen to have made changes.  We'll see.  I also think that Green may be in trouble if the team starts poorly next season, as there's just too many good coaches sitting unemployed right now, and if Benning misses out on changing the D, the coach may be made the fall guy, which would be a crying shame.      

2. The end of loyalty:  Seeing what has happened to the club this year, and because of a desire to change thing up defensively, I think this means Edler and Tanev are gone.  Yes, they have been warriors for the club, but new blood that doesn't get injured as much or seem unable to keep up with play at times is needed.  I also see Loui being cut free.  Ownership can't be happy seeing 6 million dollars sitting as a healthy scratch, but for what Loui brings as a player right now, the team can get that from first year players like Jasek, or a defensive player like Gaunce, at a fraction of the cost.  Same with Spooner, Granlund, and Schaller.  The Canucks have to admit they made mistakes with these players after seeing what they did, and didn't, do this year, and move on for the good of the team.  

3. The positive effect of a proper goaltending coach, leading to a confident Markstrom going forward.   

4. The negative effect of improper defensive and special team coaching - it's a positive, because it highlights what doesn't work, and the need to hire some people with new/better ideas in these areas.  Now, if they just hire Lidstrom or Chelios to help out on the backend, and maybe someone like Dave Andreychuk for the powerplay, as consultants/coaches, we might have something.    

5. Related to 2.  The value of hungry youth over lazy veterans, meaning more youth will come in next season.         

36 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I was rather neutral on the trade to begin with. He said, she said situation. Benning says he asked to be traded, and Dahlen says he didn't ask to be traded. That doesn't mean either is a liar  though. Where it grays out is it went through Dahlen's agent. So it really comes down to what his agent said to Benning. It could well be Dahlen didn't specifically ask his agent to be moved, but his agent did ask Benning to move him simply because his client was unhappy.

That said, I don't see why Benning would move him without actually being asked by the agent. He hasn't been a shining star in Utica nor has he been rubbish. There was no reason to move him without a request. Now I lean towards the agent taking matters into his own hands.

That’s entirely possible.  But from the outside to both the average and informed fan it just looks bad.  This guy played with EP and is very close friends with him, you have to think they say hi occasionally and catch up.   I’d like to believe this happened but don’t understand why the lack of transparency if it did.  It feels more like an impulsive and rash decision to me.

I spent a weekend and drove six hours (total driving time) to watch him and OJ play in Laval this season and wasn’t disappointed.  Dahlen was a star the first game and had several break aways (looked like Bure out there a similar build) scoring on one.  The second game he was pretty good too.  OJ was good one game bad the other (benched for good reason) but still was happy to watch them play.  After all that has been said about Dahlen, his friendship with our rising star, lack of LWs in the system and Benning naming him as one of his untouchables last year ... it’s a head scratcher to say the least.

Was he acting entitled?   Maybe and so what if he was there are other ways to deal with it.  JV got his early on and is better for it.  

From a logical/tactical viewpoint you don’t trade a guy who’s got that’s much potential out of the blue unless there is a really good reason for it.   Asking when he might be called up (especially with the injuries we have) isn’t one.  If that even happened.

Benning seems to have no room in his organization for project players that have the slightest attitude..Palmu is a red flag too.  Tryamkin on his watch we well.   At this point it’s a pattern.   I don’t mind that he’s all for making the guys put the work in, in fact I’m in favour of it, but why the heck do something like that which HAS to affect EP.   He really hasn’t been the same since the trade, if anyone is paying attention..or is it just fatigue ?

Ive watched other stars on this team leave because the management is too stubborn or just plain stupid (Bure and Jovo and yes at the time he was a star),  it saying we should be yes men but at the same time at least provide the same courtesies other teams would give him..or why bother playing for us at all?  

The only SANE reason for making this trade is :  Benning and co don’t think Dahlen has a chance in hell of making the NHL and think he’s only going to be a distraction moving forward and want to cut ties early.  It’s not like they “discovered “ this Karlsson kid and just had to have him, the trade was made with the EXCUSE that Dahlen wasn’t happy or said he should be getting NHL games or whatever it was, some excuse that wasn’t even communicated well when it was announced.  

Ive spent way more time on here defending Benninf then I have criticizing him, mostly because I’ve been through it all before and I know how much time it  takes.   This is one thing that no matter what angle I look at it from, just doesn’t make sense.   Just wish they said something to make sense of it, like maybe he threw a hissy fit or whatever.  

I’m putting this one in my memory banks, and am not as optimistic as I used to be.   To me this was a terrible trade on paper, made even worse given the personal relationship he had with EP, and I can’t wait for the actual explanation which will come out in time.

37 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

There are definitely a few positives to come out of this season:

1. The clock has begun to tick loudly on JB's remaining time as GM:  I do appreciate the loyalty he's shown at times with players for time served (more on this soon), and props for the changes up front, but given the nuclear disaster our back end has been at times this season, even with Edler and/or Tanev available, I think ownership will be putting the pressure on Benning to make some big changes to at least have a realistic chance at the playoffs next season.  That means, for the fans, an interesting off-season, but at the same time, it creates worries that, if a splash cannot be made in free agency, then players like Woo, OJ and Hughes will be pushed onto the big club to be seen to have made changes.  We'll see.  I also think that Green may be in trouble if the team starts poorly next season, as there's just too many good coaches sitting unemployed right now, and if Benning misses out on changing the D, the coach may be made the fall guy, which would be a crying shame.      

2. The end of loyalty:  Seeing what has happened to the club this year, and because of a desire to change thing up defensively, I think this means Edler and Tanev are gone.  Yes, they have been warriors for the club, but new blood that doesn't get injured as much or seem unable to keep up with play at times is needed.  I also see Loui being cut free.  Ownership can't be happy seeing 6 million dollars sitting as a healthy scratch, but for what Loui brings as a player right now, the team can get that from first year players like Jasek, or a defensive player like Gaunce, at a fraction of the cost.  Same with Spooner, Granlund, and Schaller.  The Canucks have to admit they made mistakes with these players after seeing what they did, and didn't, do this year, and move on for the good of the team.  

3. The positive effect of a proper goaltending coach, leading to a confident Markstrom going forward.   

4. The negative effect of improper defensive and special team coaching - it's a positive, because it highlights what doesn't work, and the need to hire some people with new/better ideas in these areas.  Now, if they just hire Lidstrom or Chelios to help out on the backend, and maybe someone like Dave Andreychuk for the powerplay, as consultants/coaches, we might have something.    

5. Related to 2.  The value of hungry youth over lazy veterans, meaning more youth will come in next season.         

Im all for this...just curious how you think this will happen.  There isn’t enough in free agency to replace Edler and Tanev, and the load on Hughes and as you mentioned maybe Woo and OJ would be tremendous without both of them.   And the chaff or dead weight, what do you do with them? Waive all of them because there won’t be much if any interest in the trade market for them.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

That’s entirely possible.  But from the outside to both the average and informed fan it just looks bad.  This guy played with EP and is very close friends with him, you have to think they say hi occasionally and catch up.   I’d like to believe this happened but don’t understand why the lack of transparency if it did.  It feels more like an impulsive and rash decision to me.

I spent a weekend and drove six hours (total driving time) to watch him and OJ play in Laval this season and wasn’t disappointed.  Dahlen was a star the first game and had several break aways (looked like Bure out there a similar build) scoring on one.  The second game he was pretty good too.  OJ was good one game bad the other (benched for good reason) but still was happy to watch them play.  After all that has been said about Dahlen, his friendship with our rising star, lack of LWs in the system and Benning naming him as one of his untouchables last year ... it’s a head scratcher to say the least.

Was he acting entitled?   Maybe and so what if he was there are other ways to deal with it.  JV got his early on and is better for it.  

From a logical/tactical viewpoint you don’t trade a guy who’s got that’s much potential out of the blue unless there is a really good reason for it.   Asking when he might be called up (especially with the injuries we have) isn’t one.  If that even happened.

Benning seems to have no room in his organization for project players that have the slightest attitude..Palmu is a red flag too.  Tryamkin on his watch we well.   At this point it’s a pattern.   I don’t mind that he’s all for making the guys put the work in, in fact I’m in favour of it, but why the heck do something like that which HAS to affect EP.   He really hasn’t been the same since the trade, if anyone is paying attention..or is it just fatigue ?

Ive watched other stars on this team leave because the management is too stubborn or just plain stupid (Bure and Jovo and yes at the time he was a star),  it saying we should be yes men but at the same time at least provide the same courtesies other teams would give him..or why bother playing for us at all?  

The only SANE reason for making this trade is :  Benning and co don’t think Dahlen has a chance in hell of making the NHL and think he’s only going to be a distraction moving forward and want to cut ties early.  It’s not like they “discovered “ this Karlsson kid and just had to have him, the trade was made with the EXCUSE that Dahlen wasn’t happy or said he should be getting NHL games or whatever it was, some excuse that wasn’t even communicated well when it was announced.  

Ive spent way more time on here defending Benninf then I have criticizing him, mostly because I’ve been through it all before and I know how much time it  takes.   This is one thing that no matter what angle I look at it from, just doesn’t make sense.   Just wish they said something to make sense of it, like maybe he threw a hissy fit or whatever.  

I’m putting this one in my memory banks, and am not as optimistic as I used to be.   To me this was a terrible trade on paper, made even worse given the personal relationship he had with EP, and I can’t wait for the actual explanation which will come out in time.

That's a whole lot of speculation. I consider myself an informed fan and don't think it makes Benning look bad at all. A request to be moved came and did as asked. I have no problem with that. What pattern is it exactly when Benning offered a contract extension to Tryamkin and he chose to go home? Benning certainly didn't give up on him. Some would rather be a big fish in a small pond than work to be the big fish in the big pond.  

Jovo left because they couldn't afford to re-sign him after the salary cap came in. He even said he wanted to stay.

Given the number of AHL scouts why would a team trade for a player unlikely to make the NHL? I've never bought the argument a prospect is traded because they were given up on. They're simply assets. Some with more value than others. Btw, Benning did explain it. He received a request to be traded. What more is he supposed to say? 

Finally, I said before the Dahlen trade that Petey didn't look the same. I speculated he was playing hurt. He wasn't skating as well, his passing seemed off, and even his stick handling wasn't where it was. Now it could be fatigue, but I suspect he's not 100% healthy. But it all started before the trade. So I don't buy him being grief stricken over Dahlen being traded. I'm sure he seen players traded before.

-Pettersson emerged as a #1 Center and franchise hockey player.  Heading into the season, most Canucks fans wondered as to when we’d get a new franchise center to replace Henrik.  We got our answer in a big way.

-Markstrom emerged as a number one goalie.

-Gaudette and Demko made the big club.

-Hutton and Stecher emerged.

-Virtanen and Goldobin showed slight improvements along with some major flashes of brilliance.

The Canucks still have a ways to go as a team, but I think we’re getting there.    

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

That's a whole lot of speculation. I consider myself an informed fan and don't think it makes Benning look bad at all. A request to be moved came and did as asked. I have no problem with that. What pattern is it exactly when Benning offered a contract extension to Tryamkin and he chose to go home? Benning certainly didn't give up on him. Some would rather be a big fish in a small pond than work to be the big fish in the big pond.  

Jovo left because they couldn't afford to re-sign him after the salary cap came in. He even said he wanted to stay.

Given the number of AHL scouts why would a team trade for a player unlikely to make the NHL? I've never bought the argument a prospect is traded because they were given up on. They're simply assets. Some with more value than others. Btw, Benning did explain it. He received a request to be traded. What more is he supposed to say? 

Finally, I said before the Dahlen trade that Petey didn't look the same. I speculated he was playing hurt. He wasn't skating as well, his passing seemed off, and even his stick handling wasn't where it was. Now it could be fatigue, but I suspect he's not 100% healthy. But it all started before the trade. So I don't buy him being grief stricken over Dahlen being traded. I'm sure he seen players traded before.

Yes fatigue is the likely scenario...affected by the trade let’s just say he won’t be happy about it.  I guess someone is lying might as well be Dahlen, and or his agent then all is forgiven.  You don’t have to trade someone who has or hasn’t played an NHL game a if he asks to be, you can work things out as another option.   The whole thing is strange and doesn’t add up.   And with Jovo, cap space could have been cleared up to sign him.

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes fatigue is the likely scenario...affected by the trade let’s just say he won’t be happy about it.  I guess someone is lying might as well be Dahlen, and or his agent then all is forgiven.  You don’t have to trade someone who has or hasn’t played an NHL game a if he asks to be, you can work things out as another option.   The whole thing is strange and doesn’t add up.   And with Jovo, cap space could have been cleared up to sign him.

I agree Dahlen was a head scratcher , Just like Tryamkin miss handled, I think Benning has brain fog  paralyzed with fear of making a mistake . Tryampkin  could have been signed but was low balled, 4 mil x 3 years would have got his attention Im sure his wife could have bought some friends or brought them over. Dahlen could have played a few games up and seen what he needed to work on .No worse than Spooner. If Dahlen was so bad why would the sharks take him and give up an asset that the canucks think is better?

On 3/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I just wanted to bring a little positivity to the table 

I remember last off season everyone in the media mentioning where will the production come from with the void left from the sedins ? 

I think a lot of fans are forgetting it’s the first season without our top two forwards so I thought I’d bring a little positivity to the table as a look back on the season 

- Goaltending : Markstrom establishing himself as a #1 goaltender and Demko gaining valuable experience. Our goaltending situation looks set in the future with Dipietro also set to begin his tenor in Utica next season 

- Petterson : There were questions whether he could even play Center in the NHL, well those questions were quickly squashed and he’s established himself as a true franchise #1 center moving forward 

- Boeser: Another solid year of point production especially after coming off a season ending back injury that limited his off season training 

- Horvat: Just another year in the books for the future captain , the work horse of the team, career year. 

Stetcher/Hutton : Valuable development year, stepped up and proved they belong in this league. Huge improvement from last year 

Virtanen: Another step in his development, continues to improve and gain the coaches trust

Hughes: He’s signed! That’s a positive any games he plays will only help his devolement 

Gaudette: He has shown flashes of that offense we’ve seen in his college highlights and hasn’t been a detriment in defence . A solid prospect 

Leivo: A solid addition to the team and probably Bennings best trade to date. Has been consistently one of our best players

Motte: Solidified his role as a solid 4th line player and one of those key players you need to compete. One of the more under rated players on the team coming from another Scrutinized Benning trade 

Roussel/ Beagle : Solid Free agent signings, Roussel with secondary scoring and that extra bite. Beagle with PK and face offs to help out Horvat, especially with our lack of center depth 

I think with all these positives from the year and the fact that we are going to be drafting an extremely good player in the first round this year with high lottery odds it couldn’t have been a better season as far as development and the future of the franchise. 

Yup lots of positives

you mentioned 13 players.  We need another 13 who are just as good somehow!  Haha

35 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree Dahlen was a head scratcher , Just like Tryamkin miss handled, I think Benning has brain fog  paralyzed with fear of making a mistake . Tryampkin  could have been signed but was low balled, 4 mil x 3 years would have got his attention Im sure his wife could have bought some friends or brought them over. Dahlen could have played a few games up and seen what he needed to work on .No worse than Spooner. If Dahlen was so bad why would the sharks take him and give up an asset that the canucks think is better?

Agree that Tryamkin was mishandled.  He should have been shown more trust in his ability to help the Canucks lose anyway - he was at a stage when he left where he needed more ice time.

Dahlen - he said he wasnt ready for the AHL, then came back and got injured.  Then wondered why he didn’t get called up.  This is why you don’t trade for already drafted players but PICKS!   Ottawa was willing to give him up for an older slower one season player

Back to the positive side. 

The progression of Bo Virt Goldy Gaudette Hutton and Stecher has been good to see. Not to mention Marky and Petey.  Brock was okay but suffered a bit of a sophomore jinx. Bears season was kicked by injuries. 

Motte and Roussel were good. Beagle ok. Grandlund Sutter and Loui were disappointing and Shaller was a head scratcher. 

Loved how they competed as a team. 

I see 3 to 4 more younger players cracking the lineup next year as well as more improvement from the younger players. Should be fun to see. 

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

Back to the positive side. 

The progression of Bo Virt Goldy Gaudette Hutton and Stecher has been good to see. Not to mention Marky and Petey.  Brock was okay but suffered a bit of a sophomore jinx. Bears season was kicked by injuries. 

Motte and Roussel were good. Beagle ok. Grandlund Sutter and Loui were disappointing and Shaller was a head scratcher. 

Loved how they competed as a team. 

I see 3 to 4 more younger players cracking the lineup next year as well as more improvement from the younger players. Should be fun to see. 

hughes, juolevi and macewen. who else is close enough to make the jump. maybe cozens if we draft him. 

a lot will depend if they can move sutter, eriksson and schaller.  

we need 2 top six wingers and a right d-man. 

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

You bet.  Dahlens progression in the AHL isnt that dissimilar to OJs...and we need skilled wingers (LW too)  almost as bad as defenseman.  So why not keep him for another year and see how it goes, he’s also very good friends with our budding star, with lots said by Benning about how they could end up together in the NHL...google it, it’s not hard to find the quotes.  Instead knee jerk a trade for a guy that had says he was happy with things in Utica and said nothing about getting a call up yet (and who knows he might have actually stuck with this roster)...for a guy without the same pedigree and two or three years behind him development wise.  Weird ...

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.  Dahlens progression in the AHL isnt that dissimilar to OJs...and we need skilled wingers (LW too)  almost as bad as defenseman.  So why not keep him for another year and see how it goes, he’s also very good friends with our budding star, with lots said by Benning about how they could end up together in the NHL...google it, it’s not hard to find the quotes.  Instead knee jerk a trade for a guy that had says he was happy with things in Utica and said nothing about getting a call up yet (and who knows he might have actually stuck with this roster)...for a guy without the same pedigree and two or three years behind him development wise.  Weird ...

Can’t help but think that the scouts were seeing something they didn’t like. 

51 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

hughes, juolevi and macewen. who else is close enough to make the jump. maybe cozens if we draft him. 

a lot will depend if they can move sutter, eriksson and schaller.  

we need 2 top six wingers and a right d-man. 

I was thinking Sautner or Brisebois 

4 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Something.  Wish there was more transparency.  It is what it is, disappointing for this fan at least, up until this I was a pretty big Benning defender.  A lot of that has to do with that I don’t think anyone could have fixed the path we are on, and the prospect pool was fixed.   All those great things said about Dahlen since he’s been traded by the hockey world in general (THN has repeatedly given Benning props for this trade ranking it as one of the better fleecings the last couple years) and the Canucks...he went from “untouchable” to suddenly gone.  

This is to me is a pivotal point ... as a fan as doubt is creeping in.  Is Benning the best thing for us?  He’s kept his job on the basis of the pool he’s made...minus Palmu and Dahlen now.  Is Madden up next if he says or does something they don’t like next year?  

42 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I was thinking Sautner or Brisebois 

Breezy is very close and with the defense we are running I could see him getting a spot if things don’t change dramatically.  Just makes things look easy and he’s not noticeable because he does all the little things well. See a little  Hamhuis in him...

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

Bull so the Sharks who are a better team, who know how to find prospects and develop them think Dahlen is a bust that's why they traded for him? Give your head a shake. Our scouts think? What? Dahlen's a bust  because of what? Common Utica's handling of Dahlen is suspect at best.JB judgement is armature at best. This trade was made maybe to free up a roster spot so JB could sign college players at best. Poor management of contracts. 

42 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Bull so the Sharks who are a better team, who know how to find prospects and develop them think Dahlen is a bust that's why they traded for him? Give your head a shake. Our scouts think? What? Dahlen's a bust  because of what? Common Utica's handling of Dahlen is suspect at best.JB judgement is armature at best. This trade was made maybe to free up a roster spot so JB could sign college players at best. Poor management of contracts. 

Armature opinion post. 

21 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Based on what?

Asking him to not be awful/average defensively? Asking him to be more than a perimeter player? He wasn't lighting up the AHL either in production or effort level in all areas. There is more to that than just coaching. He needed/still needs to put in more time to become even NHL call up ready. 

If he thinks he would develop better somewhere else that is his choice wrong or right. Doesn't mean the team is instantly the villain and we should take his concerns with 100% certainty. Funny how fans like you are quick to jump to the negative and ignore the positives in the franchise. 

While I don't think that questioning what happened in Utica is a bad thing. I don't agree that jumping to the worst case scenario is warranted either, wadr. 

In summary it is not fair to place all blame on Dahlen and it's equally not fair to place all blame on Utica. We don't have enough info for a proper verdict imo. 

Archived