The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] What Would You Trade If McDavid Is Available?

An outrageous suggestion BUT one that creates thought, especially when some media personalities mention his best years being used up.

He would yield a fortune in return, easily a Lindros comparison but to what end, it may decimate any team he goes to creating the same issues. Edmonton will be looking for top line players, prospects and picks in return.

Pretty sure Horvat would be a starting point with the Canucks and then go from there, maybe Boeser and two first round picks as well as Woo and Tryamkin, or even Hughes

It simply boils down to if we think EP will be as good as/better deal than CMD or not. Because they are the like-for-like trade. We dont really win by having two super shooty-shooty centermen in our lineup as much as having a shooty centerman + allround centerman in Bo. Neither does Edmonton. 

And realistically any trade with CMD starts with a bona-fide blue chip emergent player coming back, not a boat load of R1s. Ie, its the EP ++ or Auston Matthews ++ type of deal to begin with.

Pettersson would 100% have to be in there to get it done. 

If I'm the Oilers, I'm starting off by asking for at least: 

EP,  Hughes, and two 1st rounders

Which looks insane obviously

31 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

An outrageous suggestion BUT one that creates thought, especially when some media personalities mention his best years being used up.

He's 22.

The only way he significantly declines statisically is if the Oilers finally get their act together and don't rely on him as much.  Steve Yzerman is a good example of that.  His stats were lower during what could be argued were his real best years.

As for the trade, it would need to be either Pettersson or Horvat, plus Hughes, DiPietro, Fin, picks, Raymond and Ballard, and we might still have to take on Lucic's contract to make it work.

I think you probably start with EP, a good roster player like Roussel, Leivo, or Virtanen add a 1st (top 3-protected) and a B-level defensive prospect like Woo. I'm not even sure if that's enough, but maybe if you have two of Roussel, Leivo, and Virtanen it could be enough.

So in sum:

To Van:

C. McDavid

To Edm:

E. Pettersson

A. Roussel

J. Virtanen

2019/2020 1st round pick

Jett Woo

Seems like what it would take for an Edmonton fan to say it's fair.

That said, I wouldn't do this, because I believe that EP still has a ceiling that's insanely high and I think there's a lot of hidden value in guys like Roussel and Virtanen.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

He would yield a fortune in return, easily a Lindros comparison but to what end, it may decimate any team he goes to creating the same issues. Edmonton will be looking for top line players, prospects and picks in return.

Pretty sure Horvat would be a starting point with the Canucks and then go from there, maybe Boeser and two first round picks as well as Woo and Tryamkin, or even Hughes

Would happily trade most of the people on this board!!! :towel:

Archived