The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] signing both Myers and Gardiner in the off season

[proposal] signing both Myers and Gardiner in the off season

I think most of us have pondered the idea of what it would be like if we had Erik Karlsson here (ie franchise superstar - can log big minutes, etc,) and so I won’t go any further into that.  

There’s another idea that I’m interested in.....namely, significantly increasing the depth of our defense via signing Gardiner and Myers.

While neither Gardiner nor Myers are world beaters, these guys would be a significant upgrade over Gudbranson, Pouliot, Biega, Schenn, and some of the other bottom pairing D that we’ve had on this team.

Since 2015, one of the biggest reasons why we’ve continuously missed the playoffs, is because of injuries to our defense......which then exposed our lack of depth.

If Gardiner and Myers were here, would we still be considered to be a team that lacked defensive depth?

Edler-Stecher

Gardiner-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

1) Hutton could be moved for a pick (as an aside, would Hutton be capable of landing us a 1st round pick from an elite team?).

2) Woo would eventually replace Tanev.

3) One of Juolevi or a returning Tryamkin would eventually replace Edler (who I’d extend for 2 years).   

I wonder if something like this would be worth our while?

Myers has not been able to have a healthy career up to this point. The first two seasons, he had 82 and 80 games. And until last season, did not play more than 73 games. He might put together another full season this year but I have my doubts. If he can stay healthy, he might be a good player to target as long as he comes at a reasonable cap hit. 

There are only 6 spots on defence. We need to fill it efficiently as Nashville does. Every spot should have a type of player that is reliable and effective. 

First, Nashville's top 4 is made up of different types of players. Ellis, Josi, Ekholm, Subban. First, they can all move the puck and shoot the puck well. Josi is the complete defenceman, he can do everything well. Ekholm brings a bit more physicality compared to the others. Subban is a dynamic player with the potential to be a difference maker in any given night. Ellis is small but he skates well and has a very high hockey IQ. He is also a dynamic player.

If we can even fill 3 spots as good as Nashville filled the 4 spots, that will be the starting point.

We have Hughes, who is a player that skates well, has great vision and hockey IQ. Can become better than Ellis, especially if he can also add a slap shot to his game. He is a dynamic player that can make a difference as well.

Other 3 spots? We are far away. 

Well, I was hoping Juolevi becomes something like Josi. Initially, he was touted as a good skater, great vision, and ability to get shot through traffic. Juolevi looks far from Josi now though. I haven't given up on Juolevi though, I think he can become our version of do-everything-defenceman but obviously a lesser version of Josi.

I hoped that Tryamkin can become our Ekholm. I'm still hopeful that he can come back but it's very uncertain at this point. If we sign Myers, he can fill this role.

We obviously don't have a Subban. Hughes might play a similar role though. And if we sign Gardiner, what role does he play? Would he be our version of that dynamic player? I'm not a big fan of Gardiner, he is the type of defenceman that is good enough to help the team become decent but when going against tougher competition that you meet in the playoffs, almost always folds.

I think the top 6 of 

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

will be good enough to compete next season. Our depth options are Biega, Sautner, Briesbois, Juolevi, which would help in case of injuries.

I do not think a Myers and Gardiner would make this D much better

and it will cost Canucks 12+m for at least 5yrs

we need to develop Hughes,Elliot,Brisbois,Teves,Woo,Juolevi

sign Brassard juniors,sign Edler for 2-3 yrs

trade Hutton(minus 20)

buy out Tryamkin’s KHL contract and sign him 3yrs at 3-4m

Edler Brisbois

Tanev Hughes

Stecher Tryamkin

Teves,new D via trade

maybe get another D by trading some of Pearson,Granlund,Baertchi,Sutter,Hutton

In Utica,Chatfield,Elliot,Brassard,Saunter,Juolevi etc

2 minutes ago, farhills said:

I do not think a Myers and Gardiner would make this D much better

and it will cost Canucks 12+m for at least 5yrs

we need to develop Hughes,Elliot,Brisbois,Teves,Woo,Juolevi

sign Brassard juniors,sign Edler for 2-3 yrs

trade Hutton(minus 20)

buy out Tryamkin’s KHL contract and sign him 3yrs at 3-4m

Edler Brisbois

Tanev Hughes

Stecher Tryamkin

Teves,new D via trade

maybe get another D by trading some of Pearson,Granlund,Baertchi,Sutter,Hutton

In Utica,Chatfield,Elliot,Brassard,Saunter,Juolevi etc

The team can’t buy out Tryamkin’s contract. He has to do it himself.  

I could see going after the right hander, Meyers but there is plenty of depth on the left assuming Edler will be back

A top 6 winger is the other likely target

This jives with what Benning has said in recent interviews.  He's looking for top end free agents.  I take this to mean top 6 wingers or top 4 D.  But he's not willing to go as far as signing anybody in the $11M range (no names were given but do we really need one?  EK)

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] signing both Myers and Gardiner in the off season

I think most of us have pondered the idea of what it would be like if we had Erik Karlsson here (ie franchise superstar - can log big minutes, etc,) and so I won’t go any further into that.  

There’s another idea that I’m interested in.....namely, significantly increasing the depth of our defense via signing Gardiner and Myers.

While neither Gardiner nor Myers are world beaters, these guys would be a significant upgrade over Gudbranson, Pouliot, Biega, Schenn, and some of the other bottom pairing D that we’ve had on this team.

Since 2015, one of the biggest reasons why we’ve continuously missed the playoffs, is because of injuries to our defense......which then exposed our lack of depth.

If Gardiner and Myers were here, would we still be considered to be a team that lacked defensive depth?

Edler-Stecher

Gardiner-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

1) Hutton could be moved for a pick (as an aside, would Hutton be capable of landing us a 1st round pick from an elite team?).

2) Woo would eventually replace Tanev.

3) One of Juolevi or a returning Tryamkin would eventually replace Edler (who I’d extend for 2 years).   

I wonder if something like this would be worth our while?

No Gardiner thank you

-

No Gardiner, lmao. He sucks so bad, can't defend for his life.

Myers I used to be interested in but he's gonna want a massive contract (7x7) kind of contract, and I don't want another signing like that for a couple of seasons. 

If Karlsson is available - and interested - you go after him first. That's the sort of elite player than can make a sizeable difference. Between him and Hughes, our PP and ability to move the puck would be improved outstandingly.

Failing that, Myers may be a decent stop-gap...but that depends on his contract demands. He's already 29, and as mentioned, has had some health issues. Even though Stralman is older, he may be a cheaper and more dependable alternative.

Gardiner isn't as bad as what most people seem to think. However, with Hughes, Hutton, Juolevi, and even Brisebois/Sautner showing at least a little promise, I wouldn't want to commit long-term big money to another LHD. I'd much rather overpay Edler on a 2-year deal.

Ufas the time GMs lose there marbles and over spend and get underperformers. Jim Benning is a master that. 

Build through the draft not with over priced  ufas.

Especially since they all want NTCs with their contracts now.

Ufa market  top dollar top term and a NTC is Rebuild suicide. 

The fact we need so many pieces is due to the lack of foresight and a true plan when Jim was hired this Team is years away. 

Trading for so called nhl ready players and vets to try to get a playoff sniff has set this team back years. 

Jim bennings teams dont hold so many franchise worst records because he’s a good gm. 

5 year plan =fail. 

We are more on the oilers plan with Jim at the wheel.

We have a draft in Vancouver and we have two extra 6th rounders and have added very few picks over his time here yet the sales pitch is rebuild through the draft I guess he THINKS he knows better than every other successful  builder gm  before him.

Gardiner is so &^@#ing bad. He single-handedly lost the leafs a playoffs series. Players are supposed to get better in the playoffs and Gardiner was exposed horribly. There is no way we should target Gardiner. Meyers it depends on the cap hit. I really don't think we need to go out and sign any big names unless its an elite player like Karlsson or Panarin.

8 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

As everyone has said, stay far far away from Gardiner

Fair enough.

I didn’t realize that Gardiner had fallen off so much.  I remember a few short years ago, he was outplaying Rielly (and the mantra was that Rielly was being given more opportunities than Gardiner despite Gardiner outplaying him).  Obviously - Rielly is much better than Gardiner now, but yeah......I had no idea Gardiner had fallen off that much.  

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

No Gardiner, lmao. He sucks so bad, can't defend for his life.

Myers I used to be interested in but he's gonna want a massive contract (7x7) kind of contract, and I don't want another signing like that for a couple of seasons. 

^^

last thing we need is to lose a good RFA because of Gardiners cap room. There's a reason TO is letting him walk. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^^

last thing we need is to lose a good RFA because of Gardiners cap room. There's a reason TO is letting him walk. 

Although there are some exceptions, this is true of most UFAs.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Ufas the time GMs lose there marbles and over spend and get underperformers. Jim Benning is a master that. 

Build through the draft not with over priced  ufas.

Especially since they all want NTCs with their contracts now.

Ufa market  top dollar top term and a NTC is Rebuild suicide. 

The fact we need so many pieces is due to the lack of foresight and a true plan when Jim was hired this Team is years away. 

Trading for so called nhl ready players and vets to try to get a playoff sniff has set this team back years. 

Jim bennings teams dont hold so many franchise worst records because he’s a good gm. 

5 year plan =fail. 

We are more on the oilers plan with Jim at the wheel.

We have a draft in Vancouver and we have two extra 6th rounders and have added very few picks over his time here yet the sales pitch is rebuild through the draft I guess he THINKS he knows better than every other successful  builder gm  before him.

not at all

nucks have depth of young talent in the minors and elsewhere

that still have a realistic chance of making the nhl

the oilers lack this depth

and another very big difference really is cap management

for the 2019-20 season the oilers have 16 players signed and about 10 million in cap space left

all their signed players are either high value elite or overpaid vets

trading elite would require massive adjustment to rebuild plan, the others are basically untradeable

they will be tight to sign the minimum 7 additional players they require to fill out their roster

for the 2019-20 season the nucks have 17 players signed and about 30 million in cap space left

many more of their signed players can be more easily moved compared to the oiler roster

huge flexibility to adjust the roster moving forward

and likely we will see another season of the nucks being around 10 million under the cap

yet both teams have fairly similar records this season

and both will miss the playoffs yet again

i know which team i think has the brighter future moving forward

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^^

Yes, and that reason is because he's a huge liability in his own end.  He'd be a worse signing than LE.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yes, and that reason is because he's a huge liability in his own end.  He'd be a worse signing than LE.

Totally agree with that, in part because we can all see the train wreck Gardiner would be ahead of time. At least in Loui's case most people were excited about the player before he got here. 

These two are more often than not the Whipping boys on their respective teams.  They will command big money on at least 5 year terms.  If we are spending big money and term on D, I'd break the bank on a Karlsson offer.  I wouldn't discount the Sweden connection here.  If he doesn't sign in SJ, I wouldn't give us a great shot at him, but wouldn't write the idea off either.  IF he doesn't come, save the money for the following year.....there are a ton of high end late 20's potential UFA's that could hit the market: Faulk, Barrie, Vatanen, Shultz, Brodi, Spurgeon, Petro, Josi ect....

Archived