The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Global Student Strike for Climate Change

Roberts

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Way to go kids! 

Sadly it probably won't change much though.

The vast majority of the kids who are protesting for change today will be the very ones consuming, and making things worse tomorrow.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Great to see.  Changes need to happen now....

Looks like JT 's  purchase on the KM pipeline and  stoppage of the project  is looking more and more like a smart decision.

Justin T can do no wrong this year...    Liberals have pretty much sewn up the next Federal election. 

Liberals just seem to be ahead of public opinion... while the Tories seem to stuck in a 1950 Happy Days approach.....

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Way to go kids! 

Sadly it probably won't change much though.

Part of me agrees with you.

The other part thinks that's what people probably said back in the days of slavery and apartheid and now look at the progress made.....

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The vast majority of the kids who are protesting for change today will be the very ones consuming, and making things worse tomorrow.  

There may be some truth to this but I really think you underestimate our youth moving forward. My daughter is in grade 4 and taking part today, she is also in the Nest program in our community which is a regular curriculum teaching with an aim towards getting the class being out in our environment, observing and learning in nature while also observing and learning our impacts on the World around us, even at such a young age it is great to see how much our children are retaining and understanding their impacts on the World through our actions.

8 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

Now if only we can find this many people to actually take action rather than demand their governments to take action...

This is where parents, teachers, mentors, leaders give our youth the tools and empowerment to continue to push for and make changes without letting our youth fall into the general malaise of the day to day society of consumers and polluters.

Great things are happening all around us, lending to much hope things will change, I truly believe just from seeing the way my daughter views the World and her place and impact in it that better days, better methods and ways to live our lives can be and are being achieved. New technologies are growing faster and getting into mainstream.

There will always be doubters, those who are indifferent, or maybe don't care at the overall picture, you can't change that but you can build a better World around them....

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

There may be some truth to this but I really think you underestimate our youth moving forward. My daughter is in grade 4 and taking part today, she is also in the Nest program in our community which is a regular curriculum teaching with an aim towards getting the class being out in our environment, observing and learning in nature while also observing and learning our impacts on the World around us, even at such a young age it is great to see how much our children are retaining and understanding their impacts on the World through our actions.

This is where parents, teachers, mentors, leaders give our youth the tools and empowerment to continue to push for and make changes without letting our youth fall into the general malaise of the day to day society of consumers and polluters.

Great things are happening all around us, lending to much hope things will change, I truly believe just from seeing the way my daughter views the World and her place and impact in it that better days, better methods and ways to live our lives can be and are being achieved. New technologies are growing faster and getting into mainstream.

There will always be doubters, those who are indifferent, or maybe don't care at the overall picture, you can't change that but you can build a better World around them....

Do you want your daughter to have a better life than you, or do you want her to struggle?  Cleaning the climate would mean a huge change downward in our standard of living.  The luxuries we have added (since the 50's) to make our lives more comfortable, and afforded us more free time, would have to be given up.  Why would a young adult give up that lifestyle?  It's easy for us as children to make a stance against the current direction, but as we get older, and our desires grow, we our stance against what was, changes.  Of course we all want there to be a clean and happy future for our children, but can there be both, when happiness is so intertwined in our modern society with free time to enjoy?

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you want your daughter to have a better life than you, or do you want her to struggle?  Cleaning the climate would mean a huge change downward in our standard of living.  The luxuries we have added (since the 50's) to make our lives more comfortable, and afforded us more free time, would have to be given up.  Why would a young adult give up that lifestyle?  It's easy for us as children to make a stance against the current direction, but as we get older, and our desires grow, we our stance against what was, changes.  Of course we all want there to be a clean and happy future for our children, but can there be both, when happiness is so intertwined in our modern society with free time to enjoy?

"Well...my city is underwater, but at least the new iPhone is coming out!"

Perhaps you are not aware at the ramifications are to stick with the status quo.

BfxsiTqIMAAMdxh.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

Now if only we can find this many people to actually take action rather than demand their governments to take action...

In April, I'll be cycling to work.  Found out that it takes me almost the same time to bike to work as it does to drive to work.   Luckily my work has a shower so I can freshen up when I arrive.  Doing my part.  Lol. But it's mainly to save $$ as cost of gas is going up (apparently $1.65/L in the summer).

• Cheers 1

This narrative that always seems to pop up in climate threads, saying things like "if you drive a car, you can't complain about Climate Change" is disingenuous garbage.

For many people, a vehicle is a necessity. It doesn't mean that you can't do your part by taking public transportation when available, riding a bike when you can, (like @BPA) recycling, installing LED lights etc., etc....

I also completely disagree that we can't combat Climate Change without turning into some third-world dystopia. There's money to be made in Green Technology. What has to happen is some short-term pain for some long-term gain and governments need to stop bending over for powerful lobbies that want to maintain their bottom line by maintaining the status quo.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Growing up, there was no such thing as recycling.  Everything went into the garbage.  Now it's part of our daily lives.   It'll take time but we all can make significant changes.

I'm looking at composting as well. My buddy says it works great for his garden. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

It's a start kids. Great to see.

And, 'don't let the bastards grind you down.'

Keep it up, stay positive, the future is yours. 

Ha literally listening to Machine Head right now

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Are you a parent ? the bolded line above should be pretty obvious but to answer your question, I do want my daughter to have a great life, I work day and night so she can have a better opportunity at life than I had growing up and I will support her all the way.

there is an element in your post re: " as we get older, and our desires grow, we our stance against what was, changes. " that is in human nature, like the person who says " if I was mayor I would fix this and that and do things right " only to see them elected and be caught up in the day to day life and being enslaved in the politics of it all. But so many of our youth are growing up now cognizant of what is going on around them and seeing first hand what is happening with our seasons, weather, and weather extremes and so on.

As in maybe people could use the argument 20 years ago that people will grow older and lose interest or not fight the good fight ( because they could afford to years ago, it was only warnings and theories not actuality ) but that's not the case now. Sure some high school kids will just make this an easy out for Spring Break, others what ? on the ski hill, staying home playing video games and so on. But you are kidding yourself if you think there is no real traction being gained. Its a little disappointing to see so many comments brushing this off.