The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Nope Benning has tipped his hand much like he did when OJ was selected. He is taking a dman regardless of who is available, he will be trying to trade down to get an extra pick even though he says late picks rarely amount to anything, so he will trade down to a later pick, logical eh?

Benning doesn't change his mind, once decided he just goes with it, a dman at the draft is it.

Kakko BTW is growing I would expect him to come in a 6'3".

Taking a larger player that can skate is always a more prudent decision and with Benning's job on the line you would think that would be the way to go but if he does then he is admitting he was wrong before.

Good players are making the league at 18/19, okay players are making the league at 20/21 the rest for the most part are support players with the occasional star dman or forward.

I think/hope Quinton Hughes can be a difference maker in the NHL, I figure he might be able to withstand the regular season maybe, but the playoffs are a different animal, size matters even now.

Kakko would be a safe selection, he played with OJ last year when he was 16 yrs old.   

Not sure what you mean, Broberg is a dman :lol:

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes he’s going to be good, but what Hughes is doing right now is just too good to pass up on.  Plus we already have his brother and why not draft him (and he’s ahead in virtually all scouting reports, another poster did the math at 17 of 18).  

Dont take too much into the WJs.  Many GMs have made the mistake of drafting based primarily on this tournament alone..including us with OJ (on the strength of seven assists mostly to Laine and Puljajarvi) prior to this tournament he was a late first rounder at best.  Where was Kakko ranked prior to the tourney?  That’s just as likely to be where he would end up in a re-draft years from now, as it is he should have gone second (where he is currently ranked).

Hughes has been called the next P Kane for a good reason, I’d rather have that on my team than a Barkov type anyday.  

Kane, Goudreau, and Marner all drive the play way better than Barfof.  Hughes will drive play better than Krappo.  

1 hour ago, Dombrova22 said:

Just a feeling. I believe he will be hesitant to select Byram because of how Virtanen has panned out so far. Broberg has quietly risen on scouts rankings. Mckenzie now has him ranked #7. 

I think any rational person can deduce that Jake Virtanen has no bearing on Byram’s ceiling and development path. Nonsensical argument. Does Patrick Kane impact Hughes? Does Malkin impact Kakko? 

If we get the 1st overall pick and pass on Jack Hughes, that would be a huge mistake.

No denying Kappo Kakko will be a phenomenal player, but Jack has better hockey IQ and a stronger skater. Not to mention he’s been more consistent and playing on North American soil. The WJ tournament is not something we should base a pick on (Remember, Petey didn’t exactly light that tournament up, nor did MaKinnon). 

Besides, we already have Jack’s older brother, and can you imagine how Quinn would react if we passed on Jack? 

Nope. If we get blessed with the 1st overall pick; we must select Jack.

2 hours ago, Blade Paradigm said:

Kaapo Kakko is one of Finland's most promising young talents. He is a 2019 NHL Draft-eligible forward who currently plays for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga).

He is the current U18 Liiga record holder for most goals in a single season with 22 goals, breaking Alexander Barkov's previous record of 21 goals. He finished the season with 22 goals, 38 points in 45 games, which is a points-per-game average of 0.84.

All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here.

Kakko is a brilliant player. He is a 6'2'', 190 lb center-winger whose game is very centered around aggressive boardwork, quickness in tight quarters, power along the boards, and patience with the puck. He is a creative playmaker with great lower body strength to fend off opposition checks and hem the opponent in their own zone; his deceptiveness, controlled stickhandling and quick pivots, meanwhile, allow him to shift back and forth in the offensive zone to open up space at even strength. This was on full display at the 2019 World Juniors, and is a reason for his success as a rookie in the Finnish Elite League against adults. Kakko's game compares favorably to that of Peter Forsberg, who was a playmaking puck hound along the boards with a relentless pro-style forechecking game.

Kakko's ability to cycle and control the puck down low is a major advantage that he has over Jack Hughes, as this style of game better translates to the NHL level. Although he is a pass-first player, Kakko also shoots with a high amount of velocity. In terms of skating, he is very agile on his skates, and has above average separation speed. His puck skills, shiftiness, and strength allow him to keep the puck close to his body and make subtle moves to open up space for his teammates.

His poise with the puck and give-and-go sensibilities allow him to distribute the puck to open teammates and open himself up for a return pass, often leading to positive plays. He also has rush abilities, although he is multi-faceted and not limited to rush plays. He can gain the neutral zone with his power and shiftiness, and then thrive down low.

At the World Juniors, he was used on the penalty kill on a forward pairing with teammate Anton Lundell and was effective at pressuring the opposition. Most notably, he was utilized as a defensive player in the final minute of multiple 2019 U20 World Junior games to defend Team Finland's narrow lead, including in the last minute of the Gold Medal match against Team USA.

In addition to his offensive game, Kakko has been transitioning to center. He has played center several times during the 2018-19 campaign for his Finnish Elite League team, at the U20 4 Nations Tournament in early December, in the Champions Hockey League, and at the U20 Summer Showcase.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class.

So all the professional scouts are wrong, and your right. Boy I sure hope Jam Banning sees this so he can hire you as head scout.

Would love to have the problem of picking between the two.

With our lotto luck we are picking 6-9 anyway even if we stink for rest of year.

I doubt Benning knows what he is doing in the draft yet, won't even know where he is picking for weeks.  I am sure he has some ideas but trading down doesn't really seem in his nature.  What we need is high end talent, pic the best prospect available and move on is more his style.

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Can guarantee no way we pass on hughes if the chance is there. Especially when we already have his brother .. not even from just a hockey standpoint but marketing perspective 

If the scouting team believes Kakko is the better player for this team, he has the size and the skill set we need. Screw marketing take the better player. 

Take Hughes ONLY if they believe he is the better player, not because he's the best sell. 

30 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Would love to have the problem of picking between the two.

With our lotto luck we are picking 6-9 anyway even if we stink for rest of year.

I doubt Benning knows what he is doing in the draft yet, won't even know where he is picking for weeks.  I am sure he has some ideas but trading down doesn't really seem in his nature.  What we need is high end talent, pic the best prospect available and move on is more his style.

At 6-9th Byram or Broberg wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize. But would like some draft luck for once. 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If the scouting team believes Kakko is the better player for this team, he has the size and the skill set we need. Screw marketing take the better player. 

Take Hughes ONLY if they believe he is the better player, not because he's the best sell. 

No way aquaman would let them not take hughes . 

Anyways hughes is better imo as well

Would not want to be Benning if we win the first overall pick.

I feel like the social ramifications would be a lose-lose for him.

Take Kakko and you forever be the man who didn't unite the Hughes brothers.

Take Hughes and you potentially lose out on the BPA to make a positive PR move.

This is one of the years imho where you can’t complain with #1 or #2.  Both are potential game changers.  Either can btw play center or wing (and so can Horvat).  Remember that centers can easily play the wing. 3rd is a potentially game changing d.   Can’t lose if in top 3.  If any team deserves it based on 3 years of gf and ga it is the Canucks.

It’s about getting lucky.  Any one of those 3 could be a relative bust... or a superstar..  Higher hockey IQ gives us a slightly better chance.  Hughes would he my choice for that reason.   Nobody thought puljuarvi (sp) would bust...  Kakko  could be that player but Hughes has a higher bottom imho.

4 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

This is one of the years imho where you can’t complain with #1 or #2.  Both are potential game changers.  Either can btw play center or wing (and so can Horvat).  Remember that centers can easily play the wing. 3rd is a potentially game changing d.   Can’t lose if in top 3.  If any team deserves it based on 3 years of gf and ga it is the Canucks.

It’s about getting lucky.  Any one of those 3 could be a relative bust... or a superstar..  Higher hockey IQ gives us a slightly better chance.  Hughes would he my choice for that reason.   Nobody thought puljuarvi (sp) would bust...  Kakko  could be that player but Hughes has a higher bottom imho.

Yeah this is it for me Kakko has the higher ceiling, Hughes is the safer pick. I strongly suggest that they draft on who they think will project better here and not based on marketing. 

3 hours ago, Blade Paradigm said:

Kaapo Kakko is one of Finland's most promising young talents. He is a 2019 NHL Draft-eligible forward who currently plays for TPS Turku of the Finnish Elite League (Liiga).

He is the current U18 Liiga record holder for most goals in a single season with 22 goals, breaking Alexander Barkov's previous record of 21 goals. He finished the season with 22 goals, 38 points in 45 games, which is a points-per-game average of 0.84.

All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here.

Kakko is a brilliant player. He is a 6'2'', 190 lb center-winger whose game is very centered around aggressive boardwork, quickness in tight quarters, power along the boards, and patience with the puck. He is a creative playmaker with great lower body strength to fend off opposition checks and hem the opponent in their own zone; his deceptiveness, controlled stickhandling and quick pivots, meanwhile, allow him to shift back and forth in the offensive zone to open up space at even strength. This was on full display at the 2019 World Juniors, and is a reason for his success as a rookie in the Finnish Elite League against adults. Kakko's game compares favorably to that of Peter Forsberg, who was a playmaking puck hound along the boards with a relentless pro-style forechecking game.

Kakko's ability to cycle and control the puck down low is a major advantage that he has over Jack Hughes, as this style of game better translates to the NHL level. Although he is a pass-first player, Kakko also shoots with a high amount of velocity. In terms of skating, he is very agile on his skates, and has above average separation speed. His puck skills, shiftiness, and strength allow him to keep the puck close to his body and make subtle moves to open up space for his teammates.

His poise with the puck and give-and-go sensibilities allow him to distribute the puck to open teammates and open himself up for a return pass, often leading to positive plays. He also has rush abilities, although he is multi-faceted and not limited to rush plays. He can gain the neutral zone with his power and shiftiness, and then thrive down low.

At the World Juniors, he was used on the penalty kill on a forward pairing with teammate Anton Lundell and was effective at pressuring the opposition. Most notably, he was utilized as a defensive player in the final minute of multiple 2019 U20 World Junior games to defend Team Finland's narrow lead, including in the last minute of the Gold Medal match against Team USA.

In addition to his offensive game, Kakko has been transitioning to center. He has played center several times during the 2018-19 campaign for his Finnish Elite League team, at the U20 4 Nations Tournament in early December, in the Champions Hockey League, and at the U20 Summer Showcase.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class.

Might be a very unpopular opinion considerin the hate Tkachuk gets here, but he reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk stylistically, even more skilled and quicker. He even does the reverse shoulder hit like Tkachuk does and goes to the net similarly. I like Kakko.

That said, I still don't think he's the best player in the draft. Jack Hughes has Patrick Kane written all over him.

54 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Might be a very unpopular opinion considerin the hate Tkachuk gets here, but he reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk stylistically, even more skilled and quicker. He even does the reverse shoulder hit like Tkachuk does and goes to the net similarly. I like Kakko.

That said, I still don't think he's the best player in the draft. Jack Hughes has Patrick Kane written all over him.

The thing with Hughes/Kakko is it comes down to is Hughes that much better than Kakko that it is worth taking him even though Kakko fits the mould of what we need. 

Choice at 1st overall isn't that easy this year imo. Both have their positives and negatives in their own way. 

Archived