The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Jason Kenney lost the moral authority to lead Alberta?

JM_

47 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Remains to be seen, but we at some point have to have faith in the system we have since it's all we have. I've been following Bernier closely since the formation of the PPC and he's been remarkably consistent, so until he gives me a reason to distrust, I will be cautiously optimistic that we do still have a glimmer of hope politically before the entire system is consumed by the bureaucracy and corruption that follows. 

I'm not a fan of Bernier specifically due to who he allows around him, but I'll say this - he's a proper fiscal conservative, and he has firm beliefs. Both of which are more than I can say for Scheer. As much as I'd bemoan the "destruction of the dairy cartel" for reasons I can discuss elsewhere, it's better to have a strong leader that you disagree with than a weak leader you agree/disagree with.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nothing. I really liked him and he always seemed like a real genuine guy. He was right there helping with the fires in fort Mac and was also there helping with the floods in Calgary.  He seemed like a guy who really cared about the people and there interest. As an individual Kenny is in it for himself but his views align with most. So he’ll likely be in by default. 

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hip I’ve tried to explain this to you before but notley has been down right terrible. Her policies along have cost albertans well over 2 billion in investments. I personally know over 100 million that have either pulled out due to her and/or that haven’t invested. I know of another 100 million that are waiting for the next election to make there decision.  Try being a portfolio manager in Alberta energy right now. It’s not good. 

But I agree with you on Kenny he’s a bit of a douche, sort of like prentice who I also got to know fairly well (rip)

I liked Jean.  I feel he would have been a real heart and soul candidate

As for Notley I think she gets a ton of blame for current economic issues in the energy sector.

It's very very easy for a company to look good socially by blaming an unlikely government for simply moving to better economic pastures than it is to just say sorry there's no money here we're bailing.  I don't see any other honest reason because under Notley royalties/tax rates and all are effectively the same as back in the late Klein years of Albertas heyday.  There's just no money in development in Alberta right now and much of it has to do with not only the current economy in energy but also the endless fighting of pipelines and refineries via the environmental groups but also American Oil who have literally zero desire to see Canadian oil sold outside of North American (specifically US) markets

Kenney...ya man I'm moving to Alberta in 4 months and the prospect of him as the leader scares me.  For all the flak Notley gets I have to SERIOUSLY question the mentality of an electorate that would vote him in simply due to the low oil dollar right now.  Honestly, no platform, idiot candidates, no record of success and his entire career was effectively built on hyper religious politicking pre Harper and then effectively being nothing more than a yes man

Like it or not, between the two I feel that Notley would be the better long term leader than Kenney

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The more I hear about people, the more worried I get about the future.

Kinda starting to like the idea of a nice acreage in the foothills of eastern BC or western Alberta away from everyone but my kids and a dog or three

12 hours ago, otherwise said:

can you explain what specific policy(ies) were so horrible that people chose not to invest? I've heard claims like this several times but no one has been able to point to what it could be other than hating the NDP/ low price of oil (which was already low when she was elected)

Well she started off her reign with a 9 month royalty review that put doubt in investors not knowing exactly how much of there profits they would lose out on.  Again I personally know around 50 million in international investments that went outside of Alberta due to this uncertainty and that's just from one PM's fund.  Alberta's oil investment went from around 30 billion USD in 2015 to 12 billion in those 8 months.  Then at the end of the review, they decide nothing needed to be changed..too bad that money had already left.

She raised business taxes and hiked up minimum wage during a downturn with forced many of local albertan companies to close their doors. The raise in corporate tax has actually back fired and decrease the revenue generated by 800 million, For someone who wanted to phase out oil, she's increase oil companies subsidies to over 400 million than in previous years.  Rather than slowly phasing out coal she went full steam ahead and made hanna a town of unemployment only to have to turn around and buy electricity from outside of alberta.  Then there's the enron clause. The amount of debt she's added. She adopted the carbon tax which is another thing that's scaring international investors in investing into canada/alberta's energy industry. I know of another company that has 150 million on hold to be invested contingent on the next election.  

When the NDP came to power, Alberta was already in an economic downturn and most of these policies made it even harder on companies.  I agree that they get blamed for things they had no control over and get far more criticism than they likely deserve...I'm not surprise people up north haven't blamed her for the oilers still sucking... but they are still a long ways from being considered good.  Will kenny be better?  As an individual...probably not, but his ideas still align with what most people want.  

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the Lib's would be fortunate to win a minority at this point, but we'll see. 

I do think the SNC thing has been overblown and Trudeau does have the "I was trying to save jobs" argument that will resonate. What I'd like to know is, how is Kenney going to spin this? In Trudeau's case he can at least claim he was a trying to save jobs and pension funds, in Kenneys case he was just trying to save his own arse.

@Ryan Strome would be very interested in your take on this. 

He's going to win easily but personally I'm not a fan of Kenney.

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

He's going to win easily but personally I'm not a fan of Kenney.

but what if it turns out he flat out lied to Albertans? which if this guys story is corroborated would be the case.

Former Alberta UCP candidate who helped execute kamikaze campaign asks for judicial inquiry into Kenney's role

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/happy-mann-kamikaze-campaign-1.5061407

Actually Mann is the 2nd person to state that Kenney was in on it: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jason-kenney-leadership-campaign-scandal-1.5062397

Kenney now says he was "vaguely aware" of it :lol:  

Despite now 3 people either being at the meeting to plan it with Kenney, and one former UCP candidate who Kenney asked to do the dirty work at a Calgary restaurant.

I have to ask @Ryan Strome isn't this exactly the kind of half-truth and lying that you've been upset about from Trudeau? Are you still going to vote for Kenney if this all turns out to be true? 

Communication among leadership campaigns not unusual, says Jason Kenney

'I was just vaguely aware that there was some ongoing communication'

alta-kenney-taxes-20190307.jpg
Leaked documents obtained by CBC News show Jason Kenney's leadership campaign collaborated with Jeff Callaway's campaign to undermine a political rival. (Jeff McIntosh/Canadian Press)

United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney addressed a scandal over his party's leadership campaign in 2017 by saying he and his team have done nothing wrong or unethical, telling a news conference Monday it's not unusual for competing campaigns to share information during a leadership race.

"Our two campaigns were communicating, and that would be normal in a competitive leadership election where you have, particularly, a preferential ballot," said Kenney.

Documents leaked on the weekend suggest Kenney's team directed the campaign of a rival leadership candidate Jeff Callaway as Callaway attacked and criticized Kenney's main rival Brian Jean.

Matt Wolf, a senior campaign strategist and now Kenney's deputy chief of staff, is shown in emails and other exchanges giving Callaway's organizers talking points, as well as speech and policy advice on attacking Jean.

One piece of correspondence discussed when Callaway should drop out of the race — which he did three weeks before the vote on Oct. 28, 2017. He threw his support behind Kenney.

Kenney, asked if he was aware of what Wolf was doing, said, "I was not involved in or aware of details that was happening in our campaign headquarters.

"I don't recall this ever being raised in our weekly campaign planning meetings. I was just vaguely aware that there was some ongoing communication."

'Kamikaze candidate'

Two people have come forward to say that Kenney was personally involved with the "kamikaze candidate" plan and attended meetings about it from the beginning.

Cameron Davies, a senior adviser on the Callaway campaign, said in a statement to Alberta's elections commissioner that Kenney and his team met with Callaway in July 2017 and agreed to run him as an attack candidate.

"It was decided our teams would work together to ensure proper narratives and messaging," wrote Davies.

Happy Mann, another attendee, said Sunday on Facebook that the meeting took place on July 19 at Callaway's house and that Kenney was present.

"At that strategy meeting, we agreed that Jeff Callaway will join the UCP leadership race as a candidate and will run a campaign aimed at discrediting Brian Jean," wrote Mann.

"We felt that it was important for Jason Kenney to win decisively and that this could only be guaranteed if another candidate took away from Jean's popularity."

Kenney said Monday he went to Callaway's house to get support but left empty-handed when Callaway told him he planned to be a candidate.

I don't want to be a patsy for somebody else.-  Derek Fildebrandt

Also Monday, former UCP member Derek Fildebrandt stated that he and Kenney met at a Calgary restaurant, when Kenney asked him to be a candidate who would attack Jean.

"He had asked me if I would be interested in doing this, to be able to say things about Mr. Jean that he would not want to say to stay above the fray. I was not particularly interested in that," said Fildebrandt.

"I don't want to be a patsy for somebody else."

Kenney denied that he made such a pitch.

Fildebrandt is now the leader of the Freedom Conservative Party.

The elections commissioner and the RCMP are investigating how Callaway's campaign was funded. It is against the law for people to donate money provided to them by others.

The elections commissioner has already issued a fine for one such illegal donation and Davies has been fined $15,000 for interfering in the Callaway investigation.

Maclean's magazine quoted Davies on Monday as saying that he received a corporate transfer of $60,000 into his bank account that was then redistributed to pay Callaway's race entry fee.

Kenney has denied any role in funding Callaway's campaign and has repeatedly stated in media interviews that there was no link between his campaign and Callaway's.

Callaway was one of three rivals for leadership of the UCP, which was created from a merger between Kenney's Progressive Conservatives and Jean's Wildrose Party.

Kenney defeated Jean and candidate Doug Schweitzer, garnering 61 per cent of the vote.

Politicians returned to the legislature Monday for the start of a spring sitting that could be cut short by an election call.

Premier Rachel Notley said her government is focused on how to "make life better for Albertans" but added: "For the last 18 months or so Jason Kenney was focused on how he could make life better for Jason Kenney.

"And more to the point he hasn't been honest with people about that."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jason-kenney-leadership-campaign-scandal-1.5062397

6 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

this will be fascinating to watch. Do Albertans choose being lied to, or status quo with Notley? 

Interesting timing to be sure. If people can't get motivated by Kenney-gate and white nationalists in the party, I don't know what will. Oh right, oil. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Kenney now says he was "vaguely aware" of it :lol:  

Despite now 3 people either being at the meeting to plan it with Kenney, and one former UCP candidate who Kenney asked to do the dirty work at a Calgary restaurant.

I have to ask @Ryan Strome isn't this exactly the kind of half-truth and lying that you've been upset about from Trudeau? Are you still going to vote for Kenney if this all turns out to be true? 

Communication among leadership campaigns not unusual, says Jason Kenney

'I was just vaguely aware that there was some ongoing communication'

alta-kenney-taxes-20190307.jpg
Leaked documents obtained by CBC News show Jason Kenney's leadership campaign collaborated with Jeff Callaway's campaign to undermine a political rival. (Jeff McIntosh/Canadian Press)

United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney addressed a scandal over his party's leadership campaign in 2017 by saying he and his team have done nothing wrong or unethical, telling a news conference Monday it's not unusual for competing campaigns to share information during a leadership race.

"Our two campaigns were communicating, and that would be normal in a competitive leadership election where you have, particularly, a preferential ballot," said Kenney.

Documents leaked on the weekend suggest Kenney's team directed the campaign of a rival leadership candidate Jeff Callaway as Callaway attacked and criticized Kenney's main rival Brian Jean.

Matt Wolf, a senior campaign strategist and now Kenney's deputy chief of staff, is shown in emails and other exchanges giving Callaway's organizers talking points, as well as speech and policy advice on attacking Jean.

One piece of correspondence discussed when Callaway should drop out of the race — which he did three weeks before the vote on Oct. 28, 2017. He threw his support behind Kenney.

Kenney, asked if he was aware of what Wolf was doing, said, "I was not involved in or aware of details that was happening in our campaign headquarters.

"I don't recall this ever being raised in our weekly campaign planning meetings. I was just vaguely aware that there was some ongoing communication."

'Kamikaze candidate'

Two people have come forward to say that Kenney was personally involved with the "kamikaze candidate" plan and attended meetings about it from the beginning.

Cameron Davies, a senior adviser on the Callaway campaign, said in a statement to Alberta's elections commissioner that Kenney and his team met with Callaway in July 2017 and agreed to run him as an attack candidate.

"It was decided our teams would work together to ensure proper narratives and messaging," wrote Davies.

Happy Mann, another attendee, said Sunday on Facebook that the meeting took place on July 19 at Callaway's house and that Kenney was present.

"At that strategy meeting, we agreed that Jeff Callaway will join the UCP leadership race as a candidate and will run a campaign aimed at discrediting Brian Jean," wrote Mann.

"We felt that it was important for Jason Kenney to win decisively and that this could only be guaranteed if another candidate took away from Jean's popularity."

Kenney said Monday he went to Callaway's house to get support but left empty-handed when Callaway told him he planned to be a candidate.

I don't want to be a patsy for somebody else.-  Derek Fildebrandt

Also Monday, former UCP member Derek Fildebrandt stated that he and Kenney met at a Calgary restaurant, when Kenney asked him to be a candidate who would attack Jean.

"He had asked me if I would be interested in doing this, to be able to say things about Mr. Jean that he would not want to say to stay above the fray. I was not particularly interested in that," said Fildebrandt.

"I don't want to be a patsy for somebody else."

Kenney denied that he made such a pitch.

Fildebrandt is now the leader of the Freedom Conservative Party.

The elections commissioner and the RCMP are investigating how Callaway's campaign was funded. It is against the law for people to donate money provided to them by others.

The elections commissioner has already issued a fine for one such illegal donation and Davies has been fined $15,000 for interfering in the Callaway investigation.

Maclean's magazine quoted Davies on Monday as saying that he received a corporate transfer of $60,000 into his bank account that was then redistributed to pay Callaway's race entry fee.

Kenney has denied any role in funding Callaway's campaign and has repeatedly stated in media interviews that there was no link between his campaign and Callaway's.

Callaway was one of three rivals for leadership of the UCP, which was created from a merger between Kenney's Progressive Conservatives and Jean's Wildrose Party.

Kenney defeated Jean and candidate Doug Schweitzer, garnering 61 per cent of the vote.

Politicians returned to the legislature Monday for the start of a spring sitting that could be cut short by an election call.

Premier Rachel Notley said her government is focused on how to "make life better for Albertans" but added: "For the last 18 months or so Jason Kenney was focused on how he could make life better for Jason Kenney.

"And more to the point he hasn't been honest with people about that."

Kenney is lying just like JT. Both are leaders I don't like it.

The UCP will win but I'm not sure Kenney will be the leader for the next 4 years.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Kenney is lying just like JT. Both are leaders I don't like it.

The UCP will win but I'm not sure Kenney will be the leader for the next 4 years.

it'll be interesting to see if Notely can mobilize votes in the cities tho, there are a lot of young voters and people of colour that won't like the white nationalist angle that came out today. I know the candidate quit, but the fact that she was a "star candidate" might mobilize a lot of voters in the cities. 

On 3/18/2019 at 9:29 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Fascinating information about the UCP leadership race has emerged, showing collusion between Jason Kenney and another UCP leadership candidate to rig the leadership campaign against Jean and get Kenney elected. 

Given all at the outrage over SNC Lavalin, it seems appropriate to put the same lens on Alberta. To me, Kenney rigging the leadership race is about as blatantly a political gain move as it gets. 

I'm curious if there are any CDC'rs who were uncertain about whether or not to vote for Kenney or Jean for UCP leader, and how you feel about what Kenney did. Is it time to un-unite the right? 

Here's some more background on Kenny-gate:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/belongs-on-house-of-cards-ndp-slams-kenney-in-wake-of-document-reveal

Documents showing Jason Kenney’s UCP leadership campaign corresponded over a so-called kamikaze campaign to undermine competitor Brian Jean during the party leadership race is like something out of “House of Cards,” says Deputy Premier Sarah Hoffman.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/keith-gerein-ucp-leadership-revelations-a-scandal-of-ethics-integrity-and-hypocrisy

Canada is slowly becoming an interesting place to watch for political corruption.   While people try and fabricate all sorts of things about other world leaders, Canada's "leaders" seem to be self-destructing.    Would think anyone who could possible vote for this guy or Trudeau would clearly be ok with voting for completely corrupt power-crazed crap and will end up getting just as they deserve.

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Canada is slowly becoming an interesting place to watch for political corruption.   While people try and fabricate all sorts of things about other world leaders, Canada's "leaders" seem to be self-destructing.    Would think anyone who could possible vote for this guy or Trudeau would clearly be ok with voting for completely corrupt power-crazed crap and will end up getting just as they deserve.

oh they are self-inflicted wounds to be sure. But compared to the show down south or things going on in Italy its still pretty tame. 

Intersting contrast here tho, I do think people in AB will put Trudeau on a pike but will give Kenney a pass, on what I think could be argued to be a much worse scandal.  Lying to your base in order to secure a party leadership will be given the a-ok in AB in all likelihood. 

55 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think the same.

NDP was a temporary protest vote. The protest was for the PCs to get there $&!# together.

Instead the PCs disappeared and were replaced with something stinkier. But the voting majority are done protesting......or their votes will be a protest against NDP.  

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh they are self-inflicted wounds to be sure. But compared to the show down south or things going on in Italy its still pretty tame. 

Intersting contrast here tho, I do think people in AB will put Trudeau on a pike but will give Kenney a pass, on what I think could be argued to be a much worse scandal.  Lying to your base in order to secure a party leadership will be given the a-ok in AB in all likelihood. 

Only because the alternatives suck (from the view of the voters)

Archived