The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Jason Kenney lost the moral authority to lead Alberta?

JM_

Your four current leadership options in Alberta

Notley

Kenney

Fildebrandt 

Mandel

Honestly, while I don't terribly mind Mandel he's like the Elizabeth May of the race, likeable but won't lead.  Fildebrandt is an absolute joke.  So it's between Kenney or Notley.  Polls show the UCP have lost support with Kenney now polling well below his party.  The NDP have actually started gaining small support back with Notley polling well ahead of her party.

Notley is an asset to her party and Kenney is slowly becoming an anchor.  Stelmach, Redford et al were turfed for far less than what Kenney has been pulling even if it was costing Albertans money.  

But sadly 

Alberta:  Trudeau is corrupt, has committed fraud, is wasting our tax money and has no ethics or morals

Also Alberta:  We're voting Kenney!

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it'll be interesting to see if Notely can mobilize votes in the cities tho, there are a lot of young voters and people of colour that won't like the white nationalist angle that came out today. I know the candidate quit, but the fact that she was a "star candidate" might mobilize a lot of voters in the cities. 

UCP will handily take Calgary. Kenney has flaws but he certainly isn't a racist. The ndp record over 4 years hasn't been good. Lot's of jobs lossed over the last few months and a mountain of debt.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Your four current leadership options in Alberta

Notley

Kenney

Fildebrandt 

Mandel

Honestly, while I don't terribly mind Mandel he's like the Elizabeth May of the race, likeable but won't lead.  Fildebrandt is an absolute joke.  So it's between Kenney or Notley.  Polls show the UCP have lost support with Kenney now polling well below his party.  The NDP have actually started gaining small support back with Notley polling well ahead of her party.

Notley is an asset to her party and Kenney is slowly becoming an anchor.  Stelmach, Redford et al were turfed for far less than what Kenney has been pulling even if it was costing Albertans money.  

But sadly 

Alberta:  Trudeau is corrupt, has committed fraud, is wasting our tax money and has no ethics or morals

Also Alberta:  We're voting Kenney!

Probably due to massive job losses, poor economy, shrinking wages, massive debt and a carbon tax.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Probably due to massive job losses, poor economy, shrinking wages, massive debt and a carbon tax.

Losses

Poor economy

Shrinking wages

All due to oil prices and private enterprise.  Don't forget Alberta is set to be a national leader again economically without oil.  Out of a recession without oil.

Massive debt is due in part to a lack of spending and cuts made since the Klein era.  A fair bit of that spending was schools.  Hospitals.  New roads and water upgrades.

Carbon tax.  Either Alberta created one and kept the revenue or Trudeau shoves his down their throats and the revenue goes to Ottawa.

Notley isn't perfect but she's a damned site better than Kenney and this far, much of the UCP candidates based on their actions.  Much of what you're saying is hardly their fault entirely.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Shift-4 said:

Only because the alternatives suck (from the view of the voters)

are AB voters really giving Notely a fair look tho? I'm not a big fan of the NDP typically either, but do have to admit Horgan is doing a better job than I thought he would. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ryan Strome said:

UCP will handily take Calgary. Kenney has flaws but he certainly isn't a racist. The ndp record over 4 years hasn't been good. Lot's of jobs lossed over the last few months and a mountain of debt.

sure but to blame Notley for oil patch job losses would be like giving Kenney credit for the sun coming up. Kenney would have been powerless to do any better for the patch. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are AB voters really giving Notely a fair look tho? I'm not a big fan of the NDP typically either, but do have to admit Horgan is doing a better job than I thought he would. 

They are absolutely not.  Notley has been a tireless advocate for the oilseeds and has battled every step of the way for Alberta.  but all you hear people say is how she WAS anti pipeline.  how she IS anti oil because of her past.  How SHE is spending Alberta in to the dirt.  But they never ever actually admit the truth.  that she has fought tooth and nail, has spent because she has too and more.

My favourite argument is how "investment fled Alberta because of her" but the truth is aside from a few projects the loss of development is 100% based on oil prices, even the protest pull outs are literally nothing to do with true business sense but a protest alone.  

In all honesty.  Alberta was one of the worlds safest and easiest sources of energy for 50 years, and the province had to essentially cut services, stop building, stop maintaining infrastructure to stay solvent and after this long protracted boom they don't have the stones to look in the mirror and admit that after 50 years they have dick to show for it

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but to blame Notley for oil patch job losses would be like giving Kenney credit for the sun coming up. Kenney would have been powerless to do any better for the patch. 

Doesn't matter.  Kenney will be the Premiere after the election and people will blame every failure on Notley.  not on the fact that his business sense is about as credible as a The_Guardian Benning Hate post.

58 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They are absolutely not.  Notley has been a tireless advocate for the oilseeds and has battled every step of the way for Alberta.  but all you hear people say is how she WAS anti pipeline.  how she IS anti oil because of her past.  How SHE is spending Alberta in to the dirt.  But they never ever actually admit the truth.  that she has fought tooth and nail, has spent because she has too and more.

My favourite argument is how "investment fled Alberta because of her" but the truth is aside from a few projects the loss of development is 100% based on oil prices, even the protest pull outs are literally nothing to do with true business sense but a protest alone.  

In all honesty.  Alberta was one of the worlds safest and easiest sources of energy for 50 years, and the province had to essentially cut services, stop building, stop maintaining infrastructure to stay solvent and after this long protracted boom they don't have the stones to look in the mirror and admit that after 50 years they have dick to show for it

Doesn't matter.  Kenney will be the Premiere after the election and people will blame every failure on Notley.  not on the fact that his business sense is about as credible as a The_Guardian Benning Hate post.

I guess under 'group think' in the dictionary there will be the AB provincial flag. Or is it 'herd think'?

It does baffle me tho how much credit the PCs/UCPs get even after pissing away the Heritage Fund and/or not saving more and/or having literally no good ideas like Kenney. Kennedy's big idea is to cut minimum wage for kids that want to work :picard::lol:

And Jim Prentice (RIP) did tell Albertans the truth and they hated him for it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He would have but Notley was worse than that. She had a year long royalty review which caused investment to taper off.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess under 'group think' in the dictionary there will be the AB provincial flag. Or is it 'herd think'?

It does baffle me tho how much credit the PCs/UCPs get even after pissing away the Heritage Fund and/or not saving more and/or having literally no good ideas like Kenney. Kennedy's big idea is to cut minimum wage for kids that want to work :picard::lol:

And Jim Prentice (RIP) did tell Albertans the truth and they hated him for it. 

1) I would say his big idead is cutting the corporate tax rate. Maybe we should do like Norway and Finland and tax our citizens to death and keep Corporate taxes low like those countries do. I'm sure people like @Warhippy and @kingofsurrey would support that idea. ^_^

2) Yes, rest in peace Jim. Politically though, his policies were terrible. Trying to bring in msp and other taxes. For that people protest voted and the next thing you know it became reality. I think voter turn out will be high people don't want to take a chance on four more years of failed Ndp policies.

Btw, off topic but a 3rd mp left.:P

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

1) I would say his big idead is cutting the corporate tax rate. Maybe we should do like Norway and Finland and tax our citizens to death and keep Corporate taxes low like those countries do. I'm sure people like @Warhippy and @kingofsurrey would support that idea. ^_^

2) Yes, rest in peace Jim. Politically though, his policies were terrible. Trying to bring in msp and other taxes. For that people protest voted and the next thing you know it became reality. I think voter turn out will be high people don't want to take a chance on four more years of failed Ndp policies.

Btw, off topic but a 3rd mp left.:P

she did leave, in part because she said the story has unintended consequences. Ah well, we'll shall see where it all goes. Scheer is going a little overboard tho. She was also not running again. 

I do think @Warhippy is correct tho, Kenney doesn't have much of a track record. I do think as an outside observer that Kenney is being handed a lot of credit for not much in results or experience tbh. 

Yes AB will almost certainly get change, but I highly doubt you'll see that translate to jobs. The market is funny tho, it might bring a little more investment but maybe not. Oil prices are and always have been the driving factor in AB.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

she did leave, in part because she said the story has unintended consequences. Ah well, we'll shall see where it all goes. Scheer is going a little overboard tho. 

I do think @Warhippy is correct tho, Kenney doesn't have much of a track record. I do think as an outside observer that Kenney is being handed a lot of credit for not much. 

Yes AB will almost certainly get change, but I highly doubt you'll see that translate to jobs. The market is funny tho, it might bring a little more investment but maybe not. Oil prices are and always have been the driving factor in AB.

I think investment will increase with a 8% corporate tax and a scrapping of the carbon tax. But no doubt we need to see higher oil prices.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

doubt it

I would be highly surprised if she wins.

I expect UCP to have minimum of 60% of seats

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

@Ryan Strome So who you think will win in April?

Easy win for the United Conservative Party. The ndp was a protest vote after a 40 year rule of conservatives, unfortunately they became entitled and complacent. So the ndp gets in and people have been mad ever since. At no point after the ndp victory in 2015 has the ndp ever lead in polls.

Archived