The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Jason Kenney lost the moral authority to lead Alberta?

JM_

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

a guy who lied his way to leading his party, and someone who's proven she'll fight for AB? 

Well, Canadians voted a PM who lied his way to leading his party so I guess you never know.    Hard to say, I can only speak from my relatives perspective who live in Alberta and they think the NDP has done generational harm there and, for one example, blame much of the pipeline crises on their shoulders even though it appears to be more of a Federal mess.

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, Canadians voted a PM who lied his way to leading his party so I guess you never know.   

Hard to say, I can only speak from my relatives perspective who live in Alberta and they think the NDP has done generational harm there and, for one example, blame much of the pipeline crises on their shoulders even though it appears to be more of a Federal mess.

? huh, you'll have to explain that one to me. How did Trudeau lie his way into the liberal leadership?

I don't know how anyone can put "generational" damage claims on Notley. The pipeline process has been mismanaged by the feds, first Harper and now Trudeau, although we'll see in a few months he may actually get the thing approved. 

54 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How far to the water bowl do you need to be led?   Soooo many examples.  Trudeau has clearly fabricated "nothing to see here" for one example.   He also fabricated "this was to save jobs" as SNC themselves say that was never the issue and never discussed with PMO.    How many examples do you need?   Is two sufficient or do you need more?

Finally,  you actually give an example or two. Would have been so much easier if you just did it when first asked.

The forum runs on the premise that if  a poster says  something it is up to them to back it up.

" While people try and fabricate all sorts of things about other world leaders,"

I'd point out that your original quote was about people fabricating stuff about world leaders and you eventually respond with example of  a world leader's alleged fabricating, but it is close enough to still give out a coveted plus 1.

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Finally,  you actually give an example or two. Would have been so much easier if you just did it when first asked.

The forum runs on the premise that if  a poster says  something it is up to them to back it up.

" While people try and fabricate all sorts of things about other world leaders,"

I'd point out that your original quote was about people fabricating stuff about world leaders and you eventually respond with example of  a world leader's alleged fabricating, but it is close enough to still give out a coveted plus 1.

Your CBC fabricates news about Trudeau all the time....and conveniently ignores actual things he does.    It does with territory.  Fox news will talk about things that CNN won't and vice versa.    Much of it from both that they do is fabricated to some degree.   Even much of the "Mueller" investigation will turn out to be fabricated - though hopefully they get some real stuff in there too as many in that boat are rotten to the core.

Cheers

this is so beautifully AB herd think:

UCP leader says 'real tension' lies behind Albertans' support for secession

Social Sharing

'It's why we need to stand up and fight for a fair deal, a new deal' 

The Canadian Press · Posted: Mar 25, 2019 6:59 AM MT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

ucp-leader-jason-kenney-speaks-to-report
UCP Leader Jason Kenney says that, in the midst of economic crisis, Alberta is 'under assault from other governments in Canada.' (Scott Neufeld/CBC)
comments

The leader of Alberta's United Conservative Party says many people in the province support secession from Canada, based on what he calls "a real tension that runs through the hearts of many Albertans."

The party states in a news release that a recent poll found "a shocking 50 per cent of Albertans surveyed said they support secession from Canada."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-ucp-secession-support-alberta-election-1.5069971

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

UCP leader says 'real tension' lies behind Albertans' support for secession

Social Sharing

'It's why we need to stand up and fight for a fair deal, a new deal' 

The Canadian Press · Posted: Mar 25, 2019 6:59 AM MT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

ucp-leader-jason-kenney-speaks-to-report
UCP Leader Jason Kenney says that, in the midst of economic crisis, Alberta is 'under assault from other governments in Canada.' (Scott Neufeld/CBC)
comments

The leader of Alberta's United Conservative Party says many people in the province support secession from Canada, based on what he calls "a real tension that runs through the hearts of many Albertans."

The party states in a news release that a recent poll found "a shocking 50 per cent of Albertans surveyed said they support secession from Canada."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kenney-ucp-secession-support-alberta-election-1.5069971

Ya...that's so far from true it hurts.  I really don't know any Albertans that support succession from Canada, and the two or three that I do know have spoken about it understand how badly Alberta would be screwed over if they tried too.

This guy is about as dumb as a post and has less ethical depth than Trudeau 

Voting him in would give me full license to mercilessly mock everyone I know from Alberta tat cast a vote his way and rightfully so

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Except for it not being the way all Albertans think

Edit: just more blowhard politics. He will have his little temper tantrum to get attention but nothing will happen.

Kenneys other gems from his speech about succession

Just keep in mind his party was the "build a firewall around Alberta" party for 10 years in Ottawa and they did NONE of what he is suggesting.  He is literally at fault for the issues federally as the minster of employment/immigration/social development being seen in Alberta that he did nothing about but is now calling an issue.  Seriously what a frigging clown, he doesn't even know how equalization payments work even AFTER that long in Ottawa....

'Under assault' 

Kenney says that in the midst of economic crisis, Alberta is "under assault from other governments in Canada."

"We are by far the biggest contributor to the federation. We have always played by the rules, paid our taxes, and produced wealth for other Canadians," Kenney said in a statement on Saturday.

"And it's why we need to stand up and fight for a fair deal, a new deal, for Alberta in the Canadian federation."

Kenney repeated during a campaign stop in Red Deer on Saturday an earlier pledge to hold a referendum on federal equalization payments if his party wins the provincial election on April 16.  Kenney last week said a UCP government would hold a referendum on equalization on Oct. 18, 2021 — the same date as the next municipal elections in Alberta — if what he dubs the "no more pipelines" law hasn't been mothballed, and if there is still no progress on pipelines.

Kenney further says if he becomes premier, he would also call for Ottawa to cut federal income tax for Albertans equal to the amount of the Canada Health Transfer and Canada Social Transfer.

He says that would allow Alberta to raise its tax rates to give Albertans more control over their own money.

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya...that's so far from true it hurts.  I really don't know any Albertans that support succession from Canada, and the two or three that I do know have spoken about it understand how badly Alberta would be screwed over if they tried too.

49 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Except for it not being the way all Albertans think

But Kenney is playing on anger just the same. I know when it came down to it most ABs would reject it, but its fascinating how Kenney is trying to use that anger. He's actually basing most of his platform on total bs and/or things he can't actually control:

1. A separation agenda

2. renegotiating transfers - he can't do that. 

3. a special federal tax rate fo Albertans - again, he can't do that.

Also cheating his way into the UCP leadership.

How can people support this guy? 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But Kenney is playing on anger just the same. I know when it came down to it most ABs would reject it, but its fascinating how Kenney is trying to use that anger. He's actually basing most of his platform on total bs and/or things he can't actually control:

1. A separation agenda

2. renegotiating transfers - he can't do that. 

3. a special federal tax rate fo Albertans - again, he can't do that.

Also cheating his way into the UCP leadership.

How can people support this guy? 

Because he's not Notley, he's not the NDP.  because debt, and and and scared business away and jobs and...they'll support him because they cannot for one second admit that maybe they were wrong.  Because they are afraid of change.  Because they don't know any better and in some cases because they actually support a lot of his former hyper religious and veiled anti Canadian rhetoric

Honestly.  You can defeat any argument against Notley and the Alberta NDP with facts, economic principals, straight talk and common sense but the people who will support Kenney will find loopholes in their minds for your arguments.

Notley cost people jobs because she ran a royalty review.  Companies that were afraid of insolvency on a measly 2% potential increase on royalties should run their businesses better

Notley actually has taxes across the board at the same moderate levels they were during Kleins heydays, she did a review at the worst time and increased taxes!

The NDP is building schools and hospitals and maintaining/building infrastructure left untouched since the Klein cuts; ya but look at that debt!

The PCs/CPC left Alberta broke after 50 years of being one of the wealthiest energy areas in the Western Hemisphere; Notley increased the debt and scared business away

Companies fired people after over hiring during the boom.  Notley chased everyone away with poor changes to business laws

Notley enacted a carbon tax provincially because she wanted to keeps ht money in Alberta so Trudeau didn't get it.  Notley created a carbon tax, Kenney will fight Trudeau and cancel it, but until it's cancelled Trudeau gets all the money and experts say the province cannot win against the feds in that fight!

The NDP lead Alberta through a recession and continued energy downturn without oil for the first time in 50 years.  The NDP killed jobs and we'd not have a downturn if she was smarter

The NDP is making sure oil never leaves the province.  Notley bought a billion in rail cars to move oil and shuttered production to increase prices

Kenney promised to fight for oil.  Notley has done nothing but fight for oil

All of this was happening prior to the 2015 election.  Notley didn't fix it she increased it

For every argument in favour of Notley there will be a sideways statement against her based on really scarce facts.  Much like FTGs "I know personally" statements regarding investments and the like.  Remember, the moment Notley was elected 2 major energy firms threw a tantrum and said they were taking their ball and going home.  Not because of anything she had done or was planning to do.  In protest.  They shuttered development, threw people out of work simply because the NDP was elected.  hell look at energy firms and major corporations lining up behind Kenney simply because he's promising to roll back corporate rates to even lower levels than ever.  But he is also promising not to touch the PIT levels for people, giving more to corporations for less but giving the people nothing.

economically, I cannot see one instance outside of a poorly timed royalty review where Notley has actually harmed Alberta.    Outside of opinion columns most economists agree Alberta is fine.  The people in Alberta are fine.  That all indicators show that the downturn is largely due to the low oil prices, the overly high wages and the over hiring period during the last boom.  Much like 2002, 98, 91, 1979-1983.  These are not new.

People will always support the person that says what they want to hear; never the person who does what is necessary.  The beautiful lie over the painful truth.  I know that there's at least 2 people who will come in and tell me how wrong I am and why but facts don't support their statements.  Kenney would be the equivalent of pouring gas on a fire for Alberta but hey.  He said the stuff.  I'd rather see Fildebrandt elected than Kenny 

The numbers never support their arguments.  But fear is a motivator.  Man am I ranting..Kenney sucks more than Willie Desjardins

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/kenney-stands-by-notleys-personal-income-tax-hike

https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/services/tax/budgets/2015/alberta-hikes-personal-corporate-taxes.html

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/sites/default/files/end-of-the-alberta-tax-advantage.pdf

Tax rates

2000-2019:  https://www.alberta.ca/about-tax-levy-rates-prescribed-interest-rates.aspx#corporate

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fear is an awesome motivator. 

Jason Kenney, the last stand between Alberta separation and a "fair Canada" :sick:

Its scary when people can't vote any options but one. You need to re-evaluate how you view politics when its "conservative" or any party for that matter over good sense. I've seen a few posts now with people saying oh I'm not really voting Kenney, I'm voting my conservative values. Really? its good values to vote in a liar with no plan cuz he wears blue? surely people must see how dangeous that kind of thinking is. Or maybe it has nothing to do with thinking. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Fear is an awesome motivator. 

Jason Kenney, the last stand between Alberta separation and a "fair Canada" :sick:

Its scary when people can't vote any options but one. You need to re-evaluate how you view politics when its "conservative" or any party for that matter over good sense. I've seen a few posts now with people saying oh I'm not really voting Kenney, I'm voting my conservative values. Really? its good values to vote in a liar with no plan cuz he wears blue? surely people must see how dangeous that kind of thinking is. Or maybe it has nothing to do with thinking. 

I've been saying it for a long time.

canada, including our provinces are effectively a 2 party system.  Left V Right, Blue V Red pretending as though somehow some way they're different from each other or that we're better than America because we have other parties in name.

They'll vote him in because they don't see or consider any other option.  Which sucks because I've now got a vested interest in Alberta and having two daughters, I cannot for one second say a Kenney Alberta would be a fun place to raise them because his plan is cut, slash and reduce everything except personal tax rates

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I've been saying it for a long time.

canada, including our provinces are effectively a 2 party system.  Left V Right, Blue V Red pretending as though somehow some way they're different from each other or that we're better than America because we have other parties in name.

They'll vote him in because they don't see or consider any other option.  Which sucks because I've now got a vested interest in Alberta and having two daughters, I cannot for one second say a Kenney Alberta would be a fun place to raise them because his plan is cut, slash and reduce everything except personal tax rates

we do have more left side options at least, which tends to help refresh leadership candidates from time to time. I'm usually a liberal voter, but I have voted everything from PC (back in the day, not CPC), NDP and Green provincially or federally because the incumbent was an idiot. Even i couldn't support Christy, I regret voting Weaver but felt I didn't really have a better option. Thats what you must do when someone as bad as Clark or Kenney is on the ballot, imo anyway. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we do have more left side options at least, which tends to help refresh leadership candidates from time to time. I'm usually a liberal voter, but I have voted everything from PC (back in the day, not CPC), NDP and Green provincially or federally because the incumbent was an idiot. Even i couldn't support Christy, I regret voting Weaver but felt I didn't really have a better option. Thats what you must do when someone as bad as Clark or Kenney is on the ballot, imo anyway. 

I desperately want a truly conservative option in BC.  but it's been hijacked by the Wilkinson group ala Clark/Campbell.  There is no truly right option in BC.  There is also no truly right option federally as of now either.  There are too many current parties on the extreme end of either masquerading under a name they don't deserve

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I desperately want a truly conservative option in BC.  but it's been hijacked by the Wilkinson group ala Clark/Campbell.  There is no truly right option in BC.  There is also no truly right option federally as of now either.  There are too many current parties on the extreme end of either masquerading under a name they don't deserve

Judas MacKay nuked my federal conservative option. I can't vote for a party that would be happy to take my daughters rights away. Even if it might be better for my taxes. 

I'll be interested to hear how you like things in AB.

Also.

Jason Kenneys Tax Cuts are already estimated to cost the province of Alberta $4.5 billion if enacted.  he is attacking Notley over $1.5 billion on proposed child care services.  Let that sink in.

we saw what rampant cuts cost us federally under the same kind of plan.  Almost $200 billion in debt

Archived