The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Left Wing

I am a traditionalist, I like complete players, and I like players that commit to the job. 

When looking at our left wing players, I wonder who exactly will play LW on our first 2 lines.

I do not see, an elite nor a 1st line LW in the Canuck organization......no where...….

So, let's take a look at our fan favorites....

Goldobin...……Goldy has talent, but he doesn't have consistency or drive, and I think a 1st line player has to have all of that, if he matures in time, maybe, but I don't know

Baertschi...……My complaint with Baer is that he can't stay healthy, and concussion concerns are huge,to me he is a low 2nd line LWer , and would be a 3rd liner on a good team

Pearson...…….I have not seen enough of him, but he seems to play a heavier game than Baer, but is only showing glimps of Offensive talent...….my belief is he is a solid 3rd liner

Leivo…………..I love this guy, he is an honest player, and gives a 100% effort, but to me, is a solid 4th line LWer on a strong team......in saying that, he is a keeper

Rousell ……....A perfect 3 line LWer, who plays the game full out every shift...…...I have no complaints at all over Rousell

Motte...………..Motte has earned his spot on this team, as the next Swiss army knife. Positionally, he is a 4th line winger and a perfect 13 player......100% er...love his effort

Spooner...…….If he plays his best, he moves one of the above players......his MO, is not to, and I think the numbers games, gets him moved or put in the minors...no thanks

When you look at teams like Boston, Tampa, and Vegas, they all have very strong 4 line teams, who all go up and down hard and consistently, in many ways, these teams roll out

their lines in a consistent, and relentless way that over whelms opposing teams defenses. 

When I look at our LWers, I see 3, maybe 4 players that could play in that type of system, and none in the #1, or #2 LW spots, they are Leivo, Rousell, Pearson and Motte, who again, I feel is more of an 13th forward, than a regular player.

For me, the answer to this correction is 2 fold, and on average, not as costly as one might think.

1st off, I suggest we buy a versatile #1 line LWer...…..one that can play multi positions, and is a driver. These are important attributes he should have, because it will give us elite, flexibility, when injuries happen, which will in fact, keep us relatively insulated to loosing a #1 type player, not that it is perfect but it will give us that versatility and not disrupt the other lines, as much. He must be a driver, in that he must take away pressure from Pettersson

Candidates for this position are: Primary Targets:...………. Duchene (LW/C), Skinner (LW/RW), …………………………………..estimated cost: $9,000,000

Secondary Targets:...…….A. Lee (LW/C), B. Nelsen (C/LW), Dzingel (LW/C/RW)……………...estimated cost: $7,000,000

Fringe Targets:...………….Ferland (LW/RW)………………………………………………………...estimated cost: $5,000,000

I wonder who will reach Free Agency? Skill is skill, so does Panarin get onto this list, purely on skill and being a driver?...……..estimated cost:$10,000,000

Secondly, and most importantly, over the long run, will be, who is picked in the 2019 draft. Now there is no doubt we need to up grade our defensemen, and I think for the most part that will be happening with Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Brisebois, and Sautner. But the choosing of an elite type LW will be just as important over the long haul, and will push us up into the upper tier of the NHL over the next 2 to 3 years.

In our current draft position of 7th OA, there will be some very strong candidates, all who I believe would be able to eventually be an elite 1st line LWer

Draft Candidates for this position: Alex Turcotte  C/LW......….This guy should be picked by the time we pick, if he isn't, Benning will scoop him up...….he is almost as good as Hughes

Peyton Krebs LW/C...…… This guy is fast, quick, and can play with anyone, he is slated to be a #1 LWer...he is my 1stchoice (reminds me of Skinner)

Kirby Dach  C/W...……… .Has been ranked higher and has fallen a little bit....big, strong talented center, who can play wing

Matthew Boldy LW...……...Skates well, great shot, high IQ, what is there not to like? (my second choice)

Raphael Lavoie C/W...……Big man, who is a little inconsistent, but when he is on, he dominates....is that just immaturity?

Arthur Kaliyev LW...……….one of the youngest players in the draft, still needs to bring it all together, but when he does? Look out....great shot!

So, in summary, this is where we get our #1 and #2 LWers, now when looking at these 2 positions and how free agency, would affect our cap, think of it this way...…………...

"IF" we where to say, sign Panarin for $10,000,000, and Draft Krebs or Boldy an ELC  $1,000,000 in 2 years, our top 2 lines average $5,500,000 for the first 2 line elite LWers, which I do not think is too bad for 3 years......Is that unreasonable? I don't think so...……..

So lets, say it is Krebs just for argument sake...….2019 draft ……..18 years old, will turn 19, on Jan 26, 2020...….stays in WHL

2020 season......19 years old 3rd year player, will turn 20 mid second year

2021 season...…ELC 1st year

2022 season...…ELC 2nd year

2023 season...…ELC 3rd year

Year 6...………...First non ELC contract

So year 6 would probably be the second to last year of our UFA signings contract (say Panarin), Krebs then signs a 2 year bridge, covering his 4th and 5th years, then signs his first full contract, the year after Panarin retires...…………..(Now don't you all jump on me on this, I was just using Panarin and Krebs as examples)

But the point is, that is how it fits, and how we solve the LW issues...…………..doesn't say anything of how we solve the rest! LOL

PS...…………….This is also why, we trade Tanev, and go heavy with our 2 and 3rds on Dmen asap. It takes time!

Funny how we never talking about bringing in Lucic anymore lol

I agree completely, that this team is lacking big time at LW. Goldobin has the skill and speed, but he's struggling here and I'm assuming he'll be traded. Baertschi, the other Top 6 LWer, is damaged and may never be an impactful player again, if he plays regularly. I think Leivo has been really good too. 

Anders Lee would be perfect for Pettersson's line. And then drafting Krebs?

Lee - Pettersson - Boeser

Krebs - Horvat - Goldobin/Virtanen

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am a traditionalist, I like complete players, and I like players that commit to the job. 

When looking at our left wing players, I wonder who exactly will play LW on our first 2 lines.

I do not see, an elite nor a 1st line LW in the Canuck organization......no where...….

It's honestly a massive weakness.

Goldobin...……Goldy has talent, but he doesn't have consistency or drive, and I think a 1st line player has to have all of that, if he matures in time, maybe, but I don't know

Baertschi...……My complaint with Baer is that he can't stay healthy, and concussion concerns are huge,to me he is a low 2nd line LWer , and would be a 3rd liner on a good team

Pearson...…….I have not seen enough of him, but he seems to play a heavier game than Baer, but is only showing glimps of Offensive talent...….my belief is he is a solid 3rd liner

Leivo…………..I love this guy, he is an honest player, and gives a 100% effort, but to me, is a solid 4th line LWer on a strong team......in saying that, he is a keeper

Rousell ……....A perfect 3 line LWer, who plays the game full out every shift...…...I have no complaints at all over Rousell

Motte...………..Motte has earned his spot on this team, as the next Swiss army knife. Positionally, he is a 4th line winger and a perfect 13 player......100% er...love his effort

Spooner...…….If he plays his best, he moves one of the above players......his MO, is not to, and I think the numbers games, gets him moved or put in the minors...no thanks

Baer is a good 2nd liner, but he's the Tanev of 2LWs. 

Pearson is bottom 6. Bottom 9 at best.

Leivo is a middle 6 guy and honestly we should keep him over Granlund.

Roussel is a great bottom 6 presence. Would love to see him, Beagle, and Motte stay together.

Spooner, Goldy I think are lost causes at this point. Love both of em, but no dice.

Candidates for this position are: Primary Targets:...………. Duchene (LW/C), Skinner (LW/RW), …………………………………..estimated cost: $9,000,000

Secondary Targets:...…….A. Lee (LW/C), B. Nelsen (C/LW), Dzingel (LW/C/RW)……………...estimated cost: $7,000,000

Fringe Targets:...………….Ferland (LW/RW)………………………………………………………...estimated cost: $5,000,000

I wonder who will reach Free Agency? Skill is skill, so does Panarin get onto this list, purely on skill and being a driver?...……..estimated cost:$10,000,000

Duchene is a C. No wing. We don't need more centermen.

Skinner costs waayyyy too much.

Lee would be excellent if he leaves. Nelson and Dzingel are not ideal 1LWs. 2LWs, maybe.

Ferland is a 2LW as well.

I don't want Panarin simply because of price tag.

Secondly, and most importantly, over the long run, will be, who is picked in the 2019 draft. Now there is no doubt we need to up grade our defensemen, and I think for the most part that will be happening with Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Brisebois, and Sautner. But the choosing of an elite type LW will be just as important over the long haul, and will push us up into the upper tier of the NHL over the next 2 to 3 years.

In our current draft position of 7th OA, there will be some very strong candidates, all who I believe would be able to eventually be an elite 1st line LWer

Draft Candidates for this position: Alex Turcotte  C/LW......….This guy should be picked by the time we pick, if he isn't, Benning will scoop him up...….he is almost as good as Hughes

Peyton Krebs LW/C...…… This guy is fast, quick, and can play with anyone, he is slated to be a #1 LWer...he is my 1stchoice (reminds me of Skinner)

Kirby Dach  C/W...……… .Has been ranked higher and has fallen a little bit....big, strong talented center, who can play wing

Matthew Boldy LW...……...Skates well, great shot, high IQ, what is there not to like? (my second choice)

Raphael Lavoie C/W...……Big man, who is a little inconsistent, but when he is on, he dominates....is that just immaturity?

Arthur Kaliyev LW...……….one of the youngest players in the draft, still needs to bring it all together, but when he does? Look out....great shot!

Boldy could work, honestly... but I doubt he's a Pettersson and even EP didn't step in until after a full season. Hughes is only doing so because our defense is cooked.

People forget that we're still in a rebuild.

PS...…………….This is also why, we trade Tanev, and go heavy with our 2 and 3rds on Dmen asap. It takes time!

Tanev has no acceptable trade value, and is worth more to the Canucks on the team than off it.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

My boy B) 

I only say that because I was raised in Ice territory. The guy produced a lot of offense on a straight up god awful team. 

they say that boldy is quick to build chemistry with any line mates. i would still rather have cozens but if they get a scorer for bo’s line, i think leivo could compliment that line. i’m saying, i’ld rather have boldy than goldy. could lind be that scorer?

petey/brock have 50 goals...60 assists; horvat/leivo have 37 goals...38 assists; gaud/jake/rous have27 goals...39 assists; and beags/motte.ericksson have22 goals...26 assists.

stop losing focus, first and foremost we need to get defenseman. Yes, our LW is crap, but Crosby/Malkin/Kane/ every other elite players are able to play with crap wingers and put up numbers. Let's put our trust in Petterson/Horvat to excel in this area next season. 

Petty we traded away Dahlen, or we coulda had another option on LW. Now we have Karlsson who is like 3 years away and pretty much a carbon copy of what we already have in our bottom 2 lines... exciting. 

12 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

stop losing focus, first and foremost we need to get defenseman. Yes, our LW is crap, but Crosby/Malkin/Kane/ every other elite players are able to play with crap wingers and put up numbers. Let's put our trust in Petterson/Horvat to excel in this area next season. 

Petty we traded away Dahlen, or we coulda had another option on LW. Now we have Karlsson who is like 3 years away and pretty much a carbon copy of what we already have in our bottom 2 lines... exciting. 

Hi Drakrami

I agree with you that Defense is a big concern...….and should be fixed...……….and need to be focussed on it

The possibilities are coming, and we will have to suffer somewhat 1 more year, but they are coming

Players that are here now...…….Edler/Tanev            Hutton/Stecher

Players that are on the cusp...….Hughes/Brisebois/Sautner/Juolevi/Woo

Players that are 2 or more years away...…...Tryamkin/Rathbone    

Players that have not been drafted...……...2019 2nd and 2019 3rd   

Players that could be bought...……………..Karlsson,  and Myers

I think "IF" Hughes comes in and becomes a powerplay guy who actually can run the PP, then I think that half you concerns are dealt with, as well another "IF"

Benning signs a UFA defenseman (of higher quality), then that will go along way. "IF" Tryamkin comes back, that fills another hole, and "IF" the UFA LWer comes in and adds to the Pettersson line, then our Defense will not be so pressured...…..it is a collective problem, and once you get Pouliot out of there, it will help, as did when we got rid of Gudbranson 

You have to believe in progression, where young players are getting better just because they are growing up, then add 2 above average UFA's, which we can afford, and we are much better...………..we are not far from a 500  team as we speak, so , I am not am concerned as you, "IF" all the above happens.

That is not to dismiss your concerns or say that do not have merit, it could happen differently...………...imagine if Byram is still on the boards, or we by some fluke of nature, we win one of the lottery spots....all are possibilities

This is my favorite time of year for a rebuilding team, and from now until July 10th????? I look forward to it all...………...lots of speculation and debate

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Patrick Kane is a winger. 

I'm going to agree with Jan. This draft offers a lot of very good talented wingers.

However, after Bowen Byram there is one other defenseman that could be considered as a maybe in the top 10 (Broberg) most lists have him in the 14-20 range.

So, why not take a shot on a winger this year? I think the Canucks should seriously consider taking someone like Boldy or Krebs if they're available rather than hoping Byram is available or taking Broberg really early on. 

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

When you look at teams like Boston, Tampa, and Vegas, they all have very strong 4 line teams, who all go up and down hard and consistently, in many ways, these teams roll out

their lines in a consistent, and relentless way that over whelms opposing teams defenses. 

When I look at our LWers, I see 3, maybe 4 players that could play in that type of system, and none in the #1, or #2 LW spots, they are Leivo, Rousell, Pearson and Motte, who again, I feel is more of an 13th forward, than a regular player.

For me, the answer to this correction is 2 fold, and on average, not as costly as one might think.

1st off, I suggest we buy a versatile #1 line LWer...…..one that can play multi positions, and is a driver. These are important attributes he should have, because it will give us elite, flexibility, when injuries happen, which will in fact, keep us relatively insulated to loosing a #1 type player, not that it is perfect but it will give us that versatility and not disrupt the other lines, as much. He must be a driver, in that he must take away pressure from Pettersson

So, in summary, this is where we get our #1 and #2 LWers, now when looking at these 2 positions and how free agency, would affect our cap, think of it this way...…………...

"IF" we where to say, sign Panarin for $10,000,000, and Draft Krebs or Boldy an ELC  $1,000,000 in 2 years, our top 2 lines average $5,500,000 for the first 2 line elite LWers, which I do not think is too bad for 3 years......Is that unreasonable? I don't think so...……..

So lets, say it is Krebs just for argument sake...….2019 draft ……..18 years old, will turn 19, on Jan 26, 2020...….stays in WHL

So year 6 would probably be the second to last year of our UFA signings contract (say Panarin), Krebs then signs a 2 year bridge, covering his 4th and 5th years, then signs his first full contract, the year after Panarin retires...…………..(Now don't you all jump on me on this, I was just using Panarin and Krebs as examples)

But the point is, that is how it fits, and how we solve the LW issues...…………..doesn't say anything of how we solve the rest! LOL

#44 Vancouver Giants Bowen Byram is the real deal 6'1 D man can skate amazing to watch future # 1 or 2 guy....

He makes the Giants as good as they are...Seen this guy play 7 times would really be the guy to draft between 4-7 spot....

Consider that when your looking at players to draft ...

Dach - I like and have also seen play...

Never mention  Bowen Byram from Giants??????? Number 44 controls the game with amazing skating...

If he gets hurt Giants are done, thats how good this guy is...

23 minutes ago, wildcam said:

#44 Vancouver Giants Bowen Byram is the real deal 6'1 D man can skate amazing to watch future # 1 or 2 guy....

He makes the Giants as good as they are...Seen this guy play 7 times would really be the guy to draft between 4-7 spot....

Consider that when your looking at players to draft ...

Dach - I like and have also seen play...

Never mention  Bowen Byram from Giants??????? Number 44 controls the game with amazing skating...

If he gets hurt Giants are done, thats how good this guy is...

Hi Wildcam…..I think you have missed my point

I never mentioned the top 5 because...….I am filling a LW hole in our current draft position 7, and no lottery win....

Of course if we won the draft......I would be taking Hughes or Kakko

But I would probably take Byram 3rd, personally

I really like the idea of 

Byram Hughes

Juolevi Woo

Long term

But again......that wasn't where I was going with this...………….

The problem with most of these big name free agents is that they demand term so in a couple of years we may realize that they gut signed in 2019 is not the guy we want long term or is inderproducing

I say, build through the draft.,

until a legitimate top line LW develops Pearson and Leivo are pretty servicanle. I think these two will be even better after spending a full pre season with the Canucks.

12 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The problem with most of these big name free agents is that they demand term so in a couple of years we may realize that they gut signed in 2019 is not the guy we want long term or is inderproducing

I say, build through the draft.,

until a legitimate top line LW develops Pearson and Leivo are pretty servicanle. I think these two will be even better after spending a full pre season with the Canucks.

I like the build through the draft idea....

But......you really think Leivo and/or Pearson will develop that high?

I like them but???

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like the build through the draft idea....

But......you really think Leivo and/or Pearson will develop that high?

I like them but???

Well Leivo could become a new Burr, he's a good running mate to the new stars on the team (Pete and Brock).  I'm sure 40 and 6 can elevate him.
I'd also think that Tanner could find his L.A. Kings form again, he was pretty good with Toffoli and Carter in the past.  Who's to say he and Bo won't click?
I'd like to throw Roussel's name in the hat, Bo and Rouss have noticeable chemistry too.

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Signing Duchene would create a positive “trickle down” effect and which would result in our left wing being a strength.

Here’s what I think:

1) Pearson:  Is a good 2nd line player

2) Roussel:  Is a good 3rd Line player.

4). Baertschi / Leivo:  Would be good 4th Line players that can fill on a top 6 Incase of injuries.

The problem right now, is that all of our LW’ers (aside from Roussel who was playing exactly where he should have been), are being asked to play in roles that are above their heads.

That’s where Matt Duchene would come in.

1) Unlike Panarin, Duchene could likely be signed between 8.5-9 million dollars.

2) Duchene’s game would match Pettersson’s extremely well.

3) Duchene’s presence would allow our other LW’ers to play in positions that are a better match for their current level.

4) Duchene could also play Center if one of our centers got injured.

Duchene-xxx-xxx

Pearson-xxx-xxx

Roussel-xxx-xxx

Leivo/Baertschi-xxx-xxx

One of Baertschi or Leivo can be moved, and/or one of Goldobin or Leivo can be moved to RW.

Now all of a sudden, the Canucks would be quite respectable on that left side via the “trickle down” effect......and relatively speaking, wouldn’t have had to pay an arm and a leg like they would have to With Panarin.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:57 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Signing Duchene would create a positive “trickle down” effect and which would result in our left wing being a strength.

Here’s what I think:

1) Pearson:  Is a good 2nd line player

2) Roussel:  Is a good 3rd Line player.

4). Baertschi / Leivo:  Would be good 4th Line players that can fill on a top 6 Incase of injuries.

The problem right now, is that all of our LW’ers (aside from Roussel who was playing exactly where he should have been), are being asked to play in roles that are above their heads.

That’s where Matt Duchene would come in.

1) Unlike Panarin, Duchene could likely be signed between 8.5-9 million dollars.

2) Duchene’s game would match Pettersson’s extremely well.

3) Duchene’s presence would allow our other LW’ers to play in positions that are a better match for their current level.

4) Duchene could also play Center if one of our centers got injured.

Duchene-xxx-xxx

Pearson-xxx-xxx

Roussel-xxx-xxx

Leivo/Baertschi-xxx-xxx

One of Baertschi or Leivo can be moved, and/or one of Goldobin or Leivo can be moved to RW.

Now all of a sudden, the Canucks would be quite respectable on that left side via the “trickle down” effect......and relatively speaking, wouldn’t have had to pay an arm and a leg like they would have to With Panarin.

In the two years prior to this, Baertschi finished 44th and 40th in ppg for a left winger.  With 31 teams, LWers 32-62 would be 2nd liners.  He does not hit and in not a defensive forward.  How is Baertschi a 4 liner?  If he doesn't recover from his concussions, he is done.  If he does, he is a 2nd liner. In fact, he has almost exactly the same numbers as Pearson, who played with, arguably, better offensive players.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Left Wing

Archived