The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 03/20/2019 Ottawa Senators vs Vancouver Canucks - Diary of a Sens Fan

Twilight Sparkle

2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

Ladies and gentlemen, YOU are the “7th Canuck.” Congratulations. Here’s to creating the most false starts in the entire NHL.

Indeed, fans are still buzzing (and snickering) about the Vancouver Canucks’ blatant rip-off of the Seattle Seahawks’ “12th man” gimmick (which was, oddly enough, blatantly ripped off from Texas A&M.)

Tying with this for “most uncomfortable sports moment of the weekend”, Saturday’s ceremony involved Cliff Ronning, a wonky microphone, a random fan, some sort of lever device, a big sign with a “7” on it, the chanting-style music from those creepy Rickard’s Red commercials and – most of all – the confusion of approximately 18,000 paying customers. And so began a new tradition for the Canucks.

(Shakes head.)

Let’s start by saying this. They’re obviously trying, and in a way it’s endearing. Because there’s nothing wrong with wanting to get the fans more involved in the game. But like they say in the entertainment world, it’s all in the delivery. And the Canucks delivered this whole “7th Canuck” thing about as smoothly as Howie Meeker on the telestrator after 12 cups of coffee and a gram of Colombia’s finest.

Beyond breaking the most important rule of sports ceremonies (which is to never make a guy take off his shirt during them) there’s something about forcing a tradition on a fanbase that really doesn’t sit well.

Corporate brainstorming didn’t create “You’ll Never Walk Alone” in Liverpool, nor did it come up with the idea to throw the opponent’s home-run ball back at Wrigley Field. Now, if only the Canucks had some sort of tradition that represents the bond that fans can create with their team.

Oh, gee, wait. We already have one of those. One of the greatest, actually. The white towel, born in 1982 when the Canucks made their first run to the Stanley Cup finals.

This wasn’t a case of the team copying Myron Cope’s “Terrible Towel” with the Pittsburgh Steelers. It happened because the Canucks were getting screwed by the refs and the late Roger Neilson was pissed off, so he raised a towel on a stick in mock surrender.

Now that’s a tradition.

Why not raise a banner that says “Towel Power” and hand out white towels every game? You couldn’t get a corporate sponsor on board there? Tough times or not, what a branding opportunity: a commemorative towel with your company’s name on it. I’ve still got all mine from past playoffs – I use them as dish towels.

Would that get a little tired, white towels at every game? If it were up to me, I’d limit it to the playoffs. Which makes me think, if white towels would get tiring, how bad is this “7th Canuck” thing going to get if the sheer awkwardness that was demonstrated on Saturday isn’t remedied and soon?

Remember that the Seahawks only have to raise their “12th man” flag eight times per season, not including the postseason. The Canucks have 39 regular-season games left at home.

Add to the equation that the 70,000 – not 18,000 – fans at Qwest Field have reason to take pride in the whole “12th man” thing because it actually helps their team, plus the fact that the person raising the flag isn’t just some fan – it’s always a Seattle favourite like Ichiro, Apolo Ohno, Mack Strong or a cup of coffee – and the Seahawks have a slight advantage over the Canucks in their extra-man gimmick.

From now on, maybe the Canucks should just raise the big “7” quietly and hope nobody notices.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/kurtenblog-thoughts-on-the-7th-canuck

how long did that actually last?

I rememeber it starting, then after not too long it just sort of disappeared

Do you have a video of the last one?

or the game after?

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

how long did that actually last?

I rememeber it starting, then after not too long it just sort of disappeared

Do you have a video of the last one?

or the game after?

It was just a pre game ceremony, like a jersey retirement segment. They didn't promote that 7th man thing after that when it got **** all over the day after XD

I feel genuinely sorry for Sens fans.  For all the complaints about Aquilinim, at least he cares about winning and is willing to pay the money necessary to ice an NHL team.  They have a decent young group; hopefully they get a real owner before they're able to become UFAs.

Stoked to see Crow back as a head coach in Vancouver; he did a lot of good for this franchise while he was here.

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

It was just a pre game ceremony, like a jersey retirement segment. They didn't promote that 7th man thing after that when it got **** all over the day after XD

so it only lasted 1 game?

cut yer loses I guess

I thought it lasted a litle longer than that

haha

Kamloops Blazers were 7 points back of the final playoff spot in the WHL with 7 games remaining

They went 6-0-1 without their # 1 goalie and had a 16YO in net for the the pressure packed tie break game last night with Kelowna, won and are in the show!

Canucks are 6 points back with 9 games remaining, so apparently miracles can happen?!

With their recent success including a shut out of St. Louis and a 6-2 thumping of the Leafs , Sens fans must be excited that they are developing the next wave of young talent for the next BIG Market American NHL Team.

Vegas , Columbus, Colorado and Boston jerseys are hot commodities in Ottawa!

17 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Kamloops Blazers were 7 points back of the final playoff spot in the WHL with 7 games remaining

They went 6-0-1 without their # 1 goalie and had a 16YO in net for the the pressure packed tie break game last night with Kelowna, won and are in the show!

Canucks are 6 points back with 9 games remaining, so apparently miracles can happen?!

I’d like to believe, but did the Blazers have a log jam of teams as big as ours just above them who were also trying for that last spot?

Has anyone heard if there is any chance Hughes might be out there tonight?

The cast was to help heal a deep bruise, no fractures, right? So if the bruise is healed enough, wouldn’t they give him the green light?

5 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Has anyone heard if there is any chance Hughes might be out there tonight?

The cast was to help heal a deep bruise, no fractures, right? So if the bruise is healed enough, wouldn’t they give him the green light?

He'd have to get in a practice. Saturday would be more possible.

28 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

If we make the playoffs we sure as hell would have earned it. 

Archived