The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHLPA Player Poll - Connor McDavid

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mcdavid-dominates-major-categories-nhlpa-player-poll/

Nikita Kucherov may have a 12-point cushion on Connor McDavid for the NHL’s scoring lead this season, but that doesn’t appear to be enough to change the minds of his peers about who the best forward in the league is.

McDavid topped the category as well as two others in the NHLPA’s 2018-19 player poll, which was released Wednesday. The annual survey asked more than 500 players to weigh in on a variety of hockey-related questions, including skills, teams and some off-ice topics.

McDavid — the back-to-back Art Ross Trophy and Ted Lindsay Trophy winner — took the lion’s share of the tallies in the best forward category, locking in 63.6 per cent of the votes, ahead of Sidney Crosby (17.2 per cent), Nathan MacKinnon (4.1 per cent), Kucherov (3.7) and Aleksander Barkov (1.7 per cent).

The 22-year-old Edmonton Oilers superstar was also designated the most difficult to play against, albeit by a smaller margin at 30.9 per cent, taking over from last year’s winner, Crosby, who received 16 per cent. Patrice Bergeron (9.2 per cent), MacKinnon (5 per cent) and Anze Kopitar (3.5) per cent rounded out the rest of the crop.

McDavid was again the top choice to start a franchise with by a landslide (60 per cent), with Crosby garnering 18.5 per cent, and Auston Matthews, Bergeron and MacKinnon trailing well behind at 4.3 per cent, 1.7 per cent and 1.4, respectively.

I will add another category he would be tops in:

Most Likely to want to Leave Edmonton and play in the NHL 

22 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mcdavid-dominates-major-categories-nhlpa-player-poll/

Nikita Kucherov may have a 12-point cushion on Connor McDavid for the NHL’s scoring lead this season, but that doesn’t appear to be enough to change the minds of his peers about who the best forward in the league is.

McDavid topped the category as well as two others in the NHLPA’s 2018-19 player poll, which was released Wednesday. The annual survey asked more than 500 players to weigh in on a variety of hockey-related questions, including skills, teams and some off-ice topics.

McDavid — the back-to-back Art Ross Trophy and Ted Lindsay Trophy winner — took the lion’s share of the tallies in the best forward category, locking in 63.6 per cent of the votes, ahead of Sidney Crosby (17.2 per cent), Nathan MacKinnon (4.1 per cent), Kucherov (3.7) and Aleksander Barkov (1.7 per cent).

The 22-year-old Edmonton Oilers superstar was also designated the most difficult to play against, albeit by a smaller margin at 30.9 per cent, taking over from last year’s winner, Crosby, who received 16 per cent. Patrice Bergeron (9.2 per cent), MacKinnon (5 per cent) and Anze Kopitar (3.5) per cent rounded out the rest of the crop.

McDavid was again the top choice to start a franchise with by a landslide (60 per cent), with Crosby garnering 18.5 per cent, and Auston Matthews, Bergeron and MacKinnon trailing well behind at 4.3 per cent, 1.7 per cent and 1.4, respectively.

I will add another category he would be tops in:

Most Likely to want to Leave Edmonton and play in the NHL 

I know people will point to Kuch having more points.  But look who Kucherov plays with.  Look at the defence behind him.  That alone gives him a 2-30 point cushion.  Players recognize what McJesus is doing on what is yet again one of the worst groups in the league.  

McDavid will finish with 40 goals, or 24% of the Oilers entire goal scoring.  74+ assists accounting for and additional near 37% of the entire oilers tallies.  Without him this team is not just bad it's like The_Guardian level post bad

He's possibly the greatest single player in the league right now and just imagine him playing with a Stamkos/Pointe or a Crosby or even...Hall :p

Seriously though, put this kid on a team with a high powered offence and quality puck moving D and I say he's a 130+ point player

How do you shutdown Kucherov when you also have to shut down Stamkos and Point. And you have Hedman and McDonaugh moving the puck. And you have Gourde and Johnson and Palat to chip in... McDavid is nearly a one-man show.... and I think Draisaitl benefits from McDavid more than vice-versa. I'd definitely take McDavid over Kucherov but still don't think that McDavid will have a better career than Crosby. 

12 minutes ago, joe-max said:

It took Michael Jordan 7 seasons to finally win something (in a sport where the individual athlete is way more important than in hockey). He'll fight through it (if he's really that great...:ph34r:)

The Bulls were a competent NBA organization. The Oilers are a tirefire of epic proportions. My guess is he won't see success until he gets with a different team.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

How do you shutdown Kucherov when you also have to shut down Stamkos and Point. And you have Hedman and McDonaugh moving the puck. And you have Gourde and Johnson and Palat to chip in... McDavid is nearly a one-man show.... and I think Draisaitl benefits from McDavid more than vice-versa. I'd definitely take McDavid over Kucherov but still don't think that McDavid will have a better career than Crosby. 

I think if McDavid had a future HOF centre behind him like Malkin, a future HOF defensemen like Letting, a future HOF goalie like Fluery and the quality cast comparable to Crosby over the years like Neal, Anderson, Roberts, Kessel and not to mention mentored under Lemiuex  we'd see a different machine in McDavid.

Hard to argue that he'd look a LOT better with Eberle/Hall beside him.  A Dubnyk in net? Barzal behind him and Hopkins.  The mismanagement of that club is staggering and criminal.

As much as it pains me to say it, imagine watching McDavid and Marner...fro a purely hockey fans perspective that would have been magical.  McDavid and Barzal as well would have been a treat.  But damn...he alone accounts for over 30% of his teams entire offence when you look at his goal scoring and where his assists came from.

He'll never have the same cast as Crosby and because of that he's being robbed of a hall of fame potential career.  Almost feel bad for him

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

The Bulls were a competent NBA organization. The Oilers are a tirefire of epic proportions. My guess is he won't see success until he gets with a different team.

Ha...he Tavares' the team and walks to Vancouver to play with superstar future HOF players Boeser and Pettersson 

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ha...he Tavares' the team and walks to Vancouver to play with superstar future HOF players Boeser and Pettersson 

That would be the dream. I bet McDavid regrets signing the 8 year contract. Should have tried to get similar to Matthews. 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Toews said:

That would be the dream. I bet McDavid regrets signing the 8 year contract. Should have tried to get similar to Matthews. 

I can find comfort in losing if I'm getting paid millions.

He's obviously competitive and wants to win but take Ovie for instance. Took him 13 years to finally win. Didn't hear too many rumours of him wanting to leave for a chance to win elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I can find comfort in losing if I'm getting paid millions.

He's obviously competitive and wants to win but take Ovie for instance. Took him 13 years to finally win. Didn't hear too many rumours of him wanting to leave for a chance to win elsewhere.

The Caps were a very good team that just couldn’t get over the hump for many of those years though. The Oilers flatout suck. 

12 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The Caps were a very good team that just couldn’t get over the hump for many of those years though. The Oilers flatout suck. 

Correct but getting to the playoffs and losing year after year just makes you the SJ Sharks.

You can get tired of losing no matter when the losing occurs.

Archived