The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] I Think It's Time To Let Benning Go.

Benning  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[Proposal] Time To Let Benning Go.

There has not been a GM in the NHL that has lasted as long as Benning with such a losing record. Since September 2015 to date the win percentage of .386 is the worst in Canuck history since the first four years of expansion, this doesn't change 319 games played, 123 games won and the 196 lost.

For all the talk of prospects he has done the least to help a team rebuilding other teams amass draft picks, even teams that had players with NMC's and NTC's, were moved so clause contracts are only an EXCUSE to do nothing not a reality.

in 2015 this team had 31 W and 51 L

In 2018 - 31 W and 51 L

He has not had a trade that has made a difference. He has not signed a FA that has made a difference, he has not added draft picks, he is the only GM that has two questionable draft picks out of the top 10 over 5 drafts, one that hasn't played at all. Under his management many Euros have left the team. The youngest FA he has signed in July was 29 years old, hardly getting younger, he stated clause contracts hampered trades and then signed more than the previous GM did in 8 years.

In 5 TDL days he has accomplished nothing, Dahlen left and Goldy is the current punching bag, Spooner benched, so nothing, no picks, 5 years.

He has stated the goal of the team is to play meaningful games in March? After 5 years it is not playoffs or a cup run, it is to play "meaningful" games, what does that mean? Out of the playoffs and want to play spoilers? Still be mathematically in the second wild card hunt? Only 10 points out?

His contracts are atrocious, too old, too long, too much with clauses to hamper trades.

Go ahead a parade Boeser out as a genius move, that is crap, he was ranked 25th and went there, Elias Pettersson, maybe a small kudo there but EP was ranked #1 Euro, but his drafting record is pretty disappointing being a scouting guru. He got lucky with Gaudette, but that was a pick Gillis got him otherwise he wasn't there as Benning doesn't get picks. So is Hughes such a coup when all of the top ten are expected to be stars as well, what if he drafted Dobson, Bouchard, Boquist or Zadina, the hype would be the same.

After 5 years of picks, at least 35 players drafted and only 4 are on the NHL team, Elias, Brock, Jake and Adam, funny thing, any that started their career in Utica, none have made the team.

Benning has one more year on his contract and I am concerned that his "future" becomes to the forefront. This is a time that the team COULD make the playoffs next year but end up a crap team, old with many clause contracts and young player's best years being used up OR the team does what is best for the franchise and spends one full season playing some of those 30 some odd draft picks giving them experience in the NHL, showing them what they need to improve on during the CBA lockout.

A new GM with a new mandate and contract will be more into having one bad year, his first followed by many winning seasons, a new GM might feel secure enough to do what is necessary, trade off vets for picks, trade for bad contracts with picks attached, maybe even trade a young player, Brock or Bo, to get even more top picks, dmen, Either have huge value for teams with a lot of picks, Colorado for instance, Horvat at center, Buffalo, Brock as a trigger man for Eichel with some salary relief, just examples, maybe even a Lucic deal with retention a top pick/prospect (of size) just stuff that, complex deals that need quick responses, appear to be beyond anything Benning has shown he is capable of. 

Fantasy, all Fantasy have fun. Please no "they will be great in the future", I concede, at some time in the future the Canucks will be a good team and even win the cup, but not next year.

Hey a big positive this year, they will not lose 50 games, all those championing all those prospects now have tangible proof of improvement.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

There has not been a GM in the NHL that has lasted as long as Benning with such a losing record. Since September 2015 to date the win percentage of .386 is the worst in Canuck history since the first four years of expansion, this doesn't change 319 games played, 123 games won and the 196 lost.

For all the talk of prospects he has done the least to help a team rebuilding other teams amass draft picks, even teams that had players with NMC's and NTC's, were moved so clause contracts are only an EXCUSE to do nothing not a reality.

In 2018 - 31 W and 51 L

He has not had a trade that has made a difference. He has not signed a FA that has made a difference, he has not added draft picks, he is the only GM that has two questionable draft picks out of the top 10 over 5 drafts, one that hasn't played at all. Under his management many Euros have left the team. The youngest FA he has signed in July was 29 years old, hardly getting younger, he stated clause contracts hampered trades and then signed more than the previous GM did in 8 years.

In 5 TDL days he has accomplished nothing, Dahlen left and Goldy is the current punching bag, Spooner benched, so nothing, no picks, 5 years.

He has stated the goal of the team is to play meaningful games in March? After 5 years it is not playoffs or a cup run, it is to play "meaningful" games, what does that mean? Out of the playoffs and want to play spoilers? Still be mathematically in the second wild card hunt? Only 10 points out?

His contracts are atrocious, too old, too long, too much with clauses to hamper trades.

Go ahead a parade Boeser out as a genius move, that is crap, he was ranked 25th and went there, Elias Pettersson, maybe a small kudo there but EP was ranked #1 Euro, but his drafting record is pretty disappointing being a scouting guru. He got lucky with Gaudette, but that was a pick Gillis got him otherwise he wasn't there as Benning doesn't get picks. So is Hughes such a coup when all of the top ten are expected to be stars as well, what if he drafted Dobson, Bouchard, Boquist or Zadina, the hype would be the same.

After 5 years of picks, at least 35 players drafted and only 4 are on the NHL team, Elias, Brock, Jake and Adam, funny thing, any that started their career in Utica, none have made the team.

Benning has one more year on his contract and I am concerned that his "future" becomes to the forefront. This is a time that the team COULD make the playoffs next year but end up a crap team, old with many clause contracts and young player's best years being used up OR the team does what is best for the franchise and spends one full season playing some of those 30 some odd draft picks giving them experience in the NHL, showing them what they need to improve on during the CBA lockout.

A new GM with a new mandate and contract will be more into having one bad year, his first followed by many winning seasons, a new GM might feel secure enough to do what is necessary, trade off vets for picks, trade for bad contracts with picks attached, maybe even trade a young player, Brock or Bo, to get even more top picks, dmen, Either have huge value for teams with a lot of picks, Colorado for instance, Horvat at center, Buffalo, Brock as a trigger man for Eichel with some salary relief, just examples, maybe even a Lucic deal with retention a top pick/prospect (of size) just stuff that, complex deals that need quick responses, appear to be beyond anything Benning has shown he is capable of. 

Fantasy, all Fantasy have fun. Please no "they will be great in the future", I concede, at some time in the future the Canucks will be a good team and even win the cup, but not next year.

Hey a big positive this year, they will not lose 50 games, all those championing all those prospects now have tangible proof of improvement.

He wasn't and didn't. &^@# off with this bull$&!# narrative you keep pushing on Boeser. 

Dude shut up.

Benning has made some mistakes; but one can't deny the prospect pool he has accumulated over the years is amazing. Has he had some misses? sure, but Pettersson alone makes him look like a genius. 

Gillis left him with so many NTCs its a miracle he was able to navigate some trades out of them.

Ps. Are you a member of HFboards? You seem to have the same narrative as some of those idiots.

19 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In 2018 - 31 W and 51 L

So you concede that the Canucks will be a good team and win the cup with what Benning has built but you say fire him?

I mean, there's varying levels of dumb.

Eriksson a $6 million contract, kinda dumb now but he was worth it the year we signed him

Signing Nylander to that contract, ok seriously that was dumb now how are you going to pay the best player on the team Marner what he's worth?

Trading Hall for Larson, Eberle for nothing.  Signing Lucic.  That is l=egendary even Milbury thinks it was dumb.

Then this.  You write this.  It's amusing.  In a yay you managed to eat paste and not get it on your clothes kind of amusing.  But it's so dumb it makes even Chiarelli's moves as GM of the Oilers look intelligent 

I could go in to a point by point rebuttal but it is so not worth the time.  This is dumb, the premise of your post is dumb, your closing statement is dumb I feel dumb for having read this.

EDIT* There are a dozen GMs I could name that had far far worse records than Benning but you didn't even bother to look them up before writing this and that's dumb

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

He wasn't and didn't. &^@# off with this bull$&!# narrative you keep pushing on Boeser. 

You must live in a cave or you use the blinders to ignore what is in your face. How many times do you need to see the consensus, of 18 scouting reports, he was 25th. I will help you here, there were two reports that had him higher than 25th and two that didn't have him in the top 30.

It is on the net, look it up if you can that is.

5 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Dude shut up.

Benning has made some mistakes; but one can't deny the prospect pool he has accumulated over the years is amazing. Has he had some misses? sure, but Pettersson alone makes him look like a genius. 

Gillis left him with so many NTCs its a miracle he was able to navigate some trades out of them.

Ps. Are you a member of HFboards? You seem to have the same narrative as some of those idiots.

Name the prospect pool, where they play, name them, boo hoo 6 years ago a GM got an extra pick for Gaudette, a pick Benning would not have got as he has not got any at all and that bad GM still has more important players on the team than this guy running the team for SIX years.

Name one GM that has missed on two top 6 picks, Jake is marginal.

Just keep denying the worst record in the league, keep blaming it on something 6+ years old, blame Gaudette on that guy too, Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, Gaudette, that GM's team was destroyed by Lindne/Benning.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You must live in a cave or you use the blinders to ignore what is in your face. How many times do you need to see the consensus, of 18 scouting reports, he was 25th. I will help you here, there were two reports that had him higher than 25th and two that didn't have him in the top 30.

Yes, I'm the one who's pointed that out to you multiple times before. Don't let the fact that Boeser was picked 23rd mean anything as well. 

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is on the net, look it up if you can that is.

Name the prospect pool, where they play, name them, boo hoo 6 years ago a GM got an extra pick for Gaudette, a pick Benning would not have got as he has not got any at all and that bad GM still has more important players on the team than this guy running the team for SIX years.

Name one GM that has missed on two top 6 picks, Jake is marginal.

Just keep denying the worst record in the league, keep blaming it on something 6+ years old, blame Gaudette on that guy too, Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom, Gaudette, that GM's team was destroyed by Lindne/Benning.

Name one GM?  Seriously?  

See over the last decade

Carolina

New York Islanders

Columbus

Edmonton

Montreal

Florida

Worst record in the league?  By what metric?

You're so laughably out to lunch it's pathetic.  I mean damn it you post some out there stuff but THIS is sad even for you.  I miss the SanielDedin and King of the, those were some legendary trolls.  You just...I mean...damn it's so easily picked apart it hurts

Every GM has made mistakes....every GM. All you Benning haters need to take a timeout and let him finish with his plan then you have a chance to say your piece. We have never drafted as good as we have with JB. He started with an empty cupboard but "hey look" we have a pretty good stable of youth coming (it takes time not over night). He has a team that is playing fairly consistent entertaining hockey (getting better every year). I don't agree with very move he has made but I'm willing to wait and see the end result, so far I can't and won't complain....too loud...hahaha. Just my 2 bits, for what it is worth.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So you concede that the Canucks will be a good team and win the cup with what Benning has built but you say fire him?

I mean, there's varying levels of dumb.

Eriksson a $6 million contract, kinda dumb now but he was worth it the year we signed him

Signing Nylander to that contract, ok seriously that was dumb now how are you going to pay the best player on the team Marner what he's worth?

Trading Hall for Larson, Eberle for nothing.  Signing Lucic.  That is l=egendary even Milbury thinks it was dumb.

Then this.  You write this.  It's amusing.  In a yay you managed to eat paste and not get it on your clothes kind of amusing.  But it's so dumb it makes even Chiarelli's moves as GM of the Oilers look intelligent 

I could go in to a point by point rebuttal but it is so not worth the time.  This is dumb, the premise of your post is dumb, your closing statement is dumb I feel dumb for having read this.

EDIT* There are a dozen GMs I could name that had far far worse records than Benning but you didn't even bother to look them up before writing this and that's dumb

:lol:I conceded that the team would win the cup in the future, as Benning does not talk about next year I meant maybe within the next 30 years.

Post all you want about the scattering of mistakes other GM's have made, that just shows how few there are and the need to find numerous other GM's mistakes to compare with Benning's, your example of Edmonton's GM's mistakes is curious, they fired him.

I also note there is no body of work actually showing a benefit from Benning's prowess, just a lot of immature protests of the content without proving any of it wrong.

Name a GM that has had as good a record as Benning and still has a job?

Name all those vaunted prospects and what positions they will play? Which clause contract vet they will knock out?

Name all the additional draft picks.

Name the NHL players he has traded for, not the AHL castoffs like Vey, Etem, Clendening, Granlund, Leipsic, ….and people wonder how Vegas was good right away, they simply got NHL players.

This is going on SIX years and all that can be said is two first round picks and a pick gifted from that previous GM.

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yes, I'm the one who's pointed that out to you multiple times before. Don't let the fact that Boeser was picked 23rd mean anything as well. 

2015 NHL Draft - Consensus Prospect Rankings
RK Player
PTS
Pos.
Team
Ht.
Wt.
Mar. RK
1 Connor McDavid
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 0"
2 Jack Eichel 
C
Boston Univ.
6' 2"
3 Dylan Strome
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 2"
4 Mitchell Marner
C/RW
London (OHL)
5'10"
5 Noah Hanifin
D
USA U18 NTDP
6' 2"
6 Ivan Provorov
D
Brandon (WHL)
6' 0"
7 Zack Werenski
D
USA U18 NTDP (USHL)
6' 1"
8 Lawson Crouse
LW
Kingston (OHL)
6' 3"
9 Matthew Barzal
C
Seattle (WHL)
5'11"
10 Mikko Rantanen
C/RW
TPS Turku (a) (SM-liiga)
6' 4"
11 Pavel Zacha
C/LW
Liberec (CZE)
6' 3"
12 Kyle Connor
C
Youngstown (USHL)
6' 1"
13 Timo Meier
RW
Halifax (QMJHL)
6' 1"
14 Nick Merkley
C/RW
Kelowna (WHL)
5'10"
15 Evgeny Svechnikov
LW
Cape Breton (QMJHL)
6' 1"
16 Travis Konecny
C
Ottawa 67's (OHL)
5'10"
17 Colin White
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
6' 0"
18 Thomas Chabot
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
19 Joel Eriksson Ek
C
Farjestad Jr. (SWE-JR.)
6' 2"
20 Jeremy Roy
D
Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
6' 0"
21 Jakub Zboril
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
22 Brock Boeser
RW
Waterloo (USHL)
6' 1"
23 Daniel Sprong
RW
Charlottetown (QMJHL)
5'11"
24 Jansen Harkins
C
Prince George (WHL)
6' 1"
25 Jake DeBrusk
LW
Swift Current (WHL)
5'11"
26 Oliver Kylington
D
Farjestads BK (SHL)
6' 0"
27 Ilya Samsonov
G
Magnitogorsk 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 3"
-
28 Paul Bittner
LW
Portland (WHL)
6' 4"
29 Denis Guryanov
RW
Togliatti 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 2"
-
30 Jeremy Bracco
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
5' 9"

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

RK Player
PTS
Pos.
Team
Ht.
Wt.
Mar. RK
1 Connor McDavid
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 0"
2 Jack Eichel 
C
Boston Univ.
6' 2"
3 Dylan Strome
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 2"
4 Mitchell Marner
C/RW
London (OHL)
5'10"
5 Noah Hanifin
D
USA U18 NTDP
6' 2"
6 Ivan Provorov
D
Brandon (WHL)
6' 0"
7 Zack Werenski
D
USA U18 NTDP (USHL)
6' 1"
8 Lawson Crouse
LW
Kingston (OHL)
6' 3"
9 Matthew Barzal
C
Seattle (WHL)
5'11"
10 Mikko Rantanen
C/RW
TPS Turku (a) (SM-liiga)
6' 4"
11 Pavel Zacha
C/LW
Liberec (CZE)
6' 3"
12 Kyle Connor
C
Youngstown (USHL)
6' 1"
13 Timo Meier
RW
Halifax (QMJHL)
6' 1"
14 Nick Merkley
C/RW
Kelowna (WHL)
5'10"
15 Evgeny Svechnikov
LW
Cape Breton (QMJHL)
6' 1"
16 Travis Konecny
C
Ottawa 67's (OHL)
5'10"
17 Colin White
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
6' 0"
18 Thomas Chabot
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
19 Joel Eriksson Ek
C
Farjestad Jr. (SWE-JR.)
6' 2"
20 Jeremy Roy
D
Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
6' 0"
21 Jakub Zboril
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
22 Brock Boeser
RW
Waterloo (USHL)
6' 1"
23 Daniel Sprong
RW
Charlottetown (QMJHL)
5'11"
24 Jansen Harkins
C
Prince George (WHL)
6' 1"
25 Jake DeBrusk
LW
Swift Current (WHL)
5'11"
26 Oliver Kylington
D
Farjestads BK (SHL)
6' 0"
27 Ilya Samsonov
G
Magnitogorsk 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 3"
-
28 Paul Bittner
LW
Portland (WHL)
6' 4"
29 Denis Guryanov
RW
Togliatti 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 2"
-
30 Jeremy Bracco
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
5' 9"

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

RK Player
PTS
Pos.
Team
Ht.
Wt.
Mar. RK
1 Connor McDavid
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 0"
2 Jack Eichel 
C
Boston Univ.
6' 2"
3 Dylan Strome
C
Erie (OHL)
6' 2"
4 Mitchell Marner
C/RW
London (OHL)
5'10"
5 Noah Hanifin
D
USA U18 NTDP
6' 2"
6 Ivan Provorov
D
Brandon (WHL)
6' 0"
7 Zack Werenski
D
USA U18 NTDP (USHL)
6' 1"
8 Lawson Crouse
LW
Kingston (OHL)
6' 3"
9 Matthew Barzal
C
Seattle (WHL)
5'11"
10 Mikko Rantanen
C/RW
TPS Turku (a) (SM-liiga)
6' 4"
11 Pavel Zacha
C/LW
Liberec (CZE)
6' 3"
12 Kyle Connor
C
Youngstown (USHL)
6' 1"
13 Timo Meier
RW
Halifax (QMJHL)
6' 1"
14 Nick Merkley
C/RW
Kelowna (WHL)
5'10"
15 Evgeny Svechnikov
LW
Cape Breton (QMJHL)
6' 1"
16 Travis Konecny
C
Ottawa 67's (OHL)
5'10"
17 Colin White
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
6' 0"
18 Thomas Chabot
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
19 Joel Eriksson Ek
C
Farjestad Jr. (SWE-JR.)
6' 2"
20 Jeremy Roy
D
Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
6' 0"
21 Jakub Zboril
D
Saint John (QMJHL)
6' 1"
22 Brock Boeser
RW
Waterloo (USHL)
6' 1"
23 Daniel Sprong
RW
Charlottetown (QMJHL)
5'11"
24 Jansen Harkins
C
Prince George (WHL)
6' 1"
25 Jake DeBrusk
LW
Swift Current (WHL)
5'11"
26 Oliver Kylington
D
Farjestads BK (SHL)
6' 0"
27 Ilya Samsonov
G
Magnitogorsk 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 3"
-
28 Paul Bittner
LW
Portland (WHL)
6' 4"
29 Denis Guryanov
RW
Togliatti 2 (RUS-JR.)
6' 2"
-
30 Jeremy Bracco
C/RW
USA U18 NTDP
5' 9"

What a good draft year though. Only two guys of 30 in the first round haven't played an NHL game, and one (Samsonov) is a goalie for Washington so it makes sense there.

Only 12 of the 2nd round haven't played an NHL game, most have played more than 10.

As for the OP, you're out to lunch. Benning has got us on the cusp of something really good. I'd argue his offseason this year (draft/FA) will ultimately define his tenure but I think he's done a fantastic job given what was left over from the Gillis era in a no-trade, high salary team with no prospects of which to speak.

Last year, we had a similar point count. But we were losing games very, very badly when we lost. This year I've noticed a significant uptick in the number of 'one goal' games lost. Get on the "right" side of just half of those 1 goal losses, we're healthily in the playoff mix.

He knows we need defence, has said as much. So I'm not worried.

Edit:

To illustrate the point:

Not even counting "goalie pulls" that led to further goals against... we have lost in a 1-goal game a total of 19 times this year.

Monthly:

6 nov
3 dec
2 jan
6 feb
2 Mar (so far? heh)

Some of those were OT/Shootout and some were not. But consider, if we could turn "half" of those 38 lost one goal game points into wins, so 19 points, that puts us 1 point back of San Jose in the pacific and a comfortable 6 points ahead of Vegas for the 3rd pacific slot, and overall tied with Washington for 5th in the league. This is also very much ignoring the effects of getting/stealing points from the other teams instead.

That's how "close" we are. If Benning somehow sorts out the defence this offseason, we're a lot better than I think posters give us credit for.

You state a valid argument and listed hard facts, it's a glaring problem actually. Not going to be popular on here, the number of Benning fanboys on here are numbing. The idea is Benning, has done his part. Drafted some amazing players. Let another GM come in and cement on what we have and make us competitive quicker. A GM that has better management style, better at trading, better at signing UFAs. (Although Benning's re-signing of existing players over the past few years are decent)

Archived