The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A stupid proposal

8 hours ago, Wizardofoz said:

Depends on who is running the team.

I don't agree about how long it will take, Boston got mid guys that played right away, a lot of teams get their draft picks playing a lot faster than the Canucks.

I agree about this year's draft and depth but the next year must be a lot better because so many of those players are talked about now like Crosby and Stamkos were a year or more before their draft.

Markstrom and a late pick or old prospect might get a 14th or later pick might get a late first round pick this year.

It is frustrating when you see picks from other teams playing and contributing more quickly than Canucks picks.  A couple of comments.

Players who are seen as more ready for the NHL tend to rise in the draft for this reason.  Some GM's are picking them first while others try to pick a player for the future.  In other words, they draft who they think will be better at say, age 25.  GM's may decide to draft one way or another based on the stage their team is in the cycle.  A mature, competitive team may want an NHL ready player and a young rebuilding team may draft players with a higher ceiling for the future (often at more risk).

I think that how fast a player makes the league also depends on the team and/or line mates he is playing with.  If a forward has 2 good veteran line mates, he will be less exposed when mistakes are made.  Mature teams can also shelter young players more effectively due to overall team depth.  Case in point, Matthew Barzal, deserving rookie of the year last year, played the 2C role behind perennial all star, John Tavares who drew the best defenders.  This, in contrast to Pettersson, who is playing the 1C role.

16 hours ago, smithers joe said:

to get a mid first, it would take a jake or a juolevi. we’ld have to give up someone, we don’t want to. outside of brock, most of our wingers are 3rd and 4th liners. i think leivo and pearson have been adequate but not true, top six. 

it will be interesting to see if the bo/pear/louie trio can continue to show chemistry. if they can, that would give your wingers like lind time to grow into those roles. everything takes time.

I agree with you 100%..

Juolevi or Jake with fetch 1st rounder between  18 - 30th pick

Nobody with give first round picks for:

Tanev= always hurt 29yrs old, --2nd rd pick at most  between 42-60

Suttter=  bottom 6 guy always hurt ----- 3rd rounder

Pearson =-- Stock has dropped mid 2nd rounder

Beartchi 26  =-- Scary now has to show other team he's okay?? That could take a full healthy season---- No trade value at this time

These guys Will get you a late 1st rounder :

Virtanen  22, 6'1 lots of upside with fantastic speed for big guy--- I like jake would not want to give up on him yet.... mid to late 1st rounder...

Juolevi, 20, 6'2 - should get you a mid to late 1st rounder...Poor guy has no luck with injuries

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No Jan, nooooooo   

We finally have a great goalie...  when did Cory and Luongo leave us?  It's been years of cringeworthy goaltending, let's not screw this up now!  :) 

I get what you are saying, and I don't disagree, but who are you protecting at the expansion draft?      Demko or Markstrom?

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I get what you are saying, and I don't disagree, but who are you protecting at the expansion draft?      Demko or Markstrom?

Would hope Demko has been playing great hockey and would try and trade Markstrom...Would have older goalie to expose...

Think you have to expose a goalie...Markstrom could be worth something very good the way he has started to play....

Sure hope Demko develops in next 18 months to a #1 goalie...

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Would hope Demko has been playing great hockey and would try and trade Markstrom...Would have older goalie to expose...

Think you have to expose a goalie...Markstrom could be worth something very good the way he has started to play....

Sure hope Demko develops in next 18 months to a #1 goalie...

Well that is actually my point....and yes I hope so as well! Oh, please!

17 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Markstrom unless Demko improves this year.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] A stupid proposal

Archived