The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't make $150,000 a year

whytelight

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I'm perfectly happy working the amount that I do. I also fully understand some people don't want to do that. I'm not going to judge them because happiness comes in different forms for different people. You don't some to appreciate that. 

LMAO at the guy with 17k posts giving lessons on social life. I wouldn't normally act like a dick, but you decided to $&!# on people that want to work, so here goes. Maybe you don't see it as an over-generalization because your world is too small and doesn't include people who found their passion in what they do for work. You don't feel like a slave when you get paid to do something that represents your true interests. 

Don't know what the government has to do with enjoying your job. I'm not looking for the government to make my life easier, but maybe that is your MO. 

I haven't dumped on anybody working. We all do it. I do it. Quitting while your ahead is great if you have the option and choose to do so. If you enjoy your job, great, but don't confuse this with people working more hours, more days, more years, just to get by and afford the necessities of life. Who are you, a politician? It's blatantly obvious that's all I was saying; why spend your time working when you can spend it with your family and friends and doing your favorite activities. If you'd rather work right up to 65 or beyond then go right ahead I literally don't care. But that's right - the government has nothing to do with you enjoying your job. The only ones who have any interest in seeing you work longer, more hours, more days are the government and corporate fat cats who have zero interest in seeing you check out early because society is reasonably affordable; it's a great business for the plutocracy and one is an arm of the other, after all. They've done a great job in ensuring precisely this.

As my wife says to me all the time, BC stands for Bring Cash.

I moved to Calgary in 1999 chasing the black gold money - moved back to BC in 2012 - we wanted a small farm, got one (2.5 acres)  in Armstrong, BC (Okanagan) for $390,000.

Could have moved to Manitoba and gotten 60 acres or more for that price. 

So yes, it's inflated here.  You need dual incomes as well as having something on the side. 

20 hours ago, gurn said:

In Vancouver all you have to worry about is random roadside shootings and a few gang wars. Ohh and used needles left in parks.

How many random roadside shootings happen here? They're all targeted. I can think of 2 unfortunate incidences where the unintended target was struck. While I've been typing this post 2 random, untargeted people were probably gunned down in the states. 

Gang wars happen everywhere. Have you ever been to LA? New York? Miami? Chicago? Hell even Seattle has gang wars. 

Find better parks to go to. I take my dog to a lot of parks for runs and don't see needles. Maybe you should stay out of Oppenheimer park and try a few others. 

20 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'll take chance over overpaying. People are willing to work until they die, have two jobs, live in a rental forever just to be here. Sad.

I have 1 job and own and I won't work until I die. I'm happy. We're happy. We love our jobs and a lot of my colleagues have become friends. I also really enjoy the lifestyle the lower mainland provides. Where I live I have downtown 35 minutes west of me, I have Chilliwack 40-45 minutes east of me, Whistler and Seattle are 2.25 hours away, Kelowna is 3.5 hours away. Every type of activity I could want is at my finger. Why would I move? Why would I move to Boise Idaho to save an extra few K a year and be bored out of my mind with no friends and family or lifestyle? 

I'm not to judge how anyone spends their money or how much they make, but there are a lot of people (not you) who complain about how expensive living is but they eat out all the time and lease a car that the bi-weekly payment is 3/4 of their paycheck. 

Like I said in an earlier post, live within your means and if you can make it work, great. I can't afford to live in a Yaletown highrise or point Grey detached house. That's fine. I've found a great house in a great location that still gives me access. 

11 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

How many random roadside shootings happen here? They're all targeted. I can think of 2 unfortunate incidences where the unintended target was struck. While I've been typing this post 2 random, untargeted people were probably gunned down in the states. 

Gang wars happen everywhere. Have you ever been to LA? New York? Miami? Chicago? Hell even Seattle has gang wars. 

Find better parks to go to. I take my dog to a lot of parks for runs and don't see needles. Maybe you should stay out of Oppenheimer park and try a few others. 

my reply was more aimed at the poster that was denigrating the states for their troubles but forgetting ,or not mentioning we up here, have our share.

This whole thing, again.

You like BC and can stomach the cost? Great. 

You can’t stomach the cost and found out that other places in the world have there own benefits and beauty, and don’t break the bank? Great.

Neither side is wrong. If people can afford BC and live comfortably, terrific. If you are living pay check to pay check, are in debt, but still like living in BC? That’s also terrific.

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I have 1 job and own and I won't work until I die. I'm happy. We're happy. We love our jobs and a lot of my colleagues have become friends. I also really enjoy the lifestyle the lower mainland provides. Where I live I have downtown 35 minutes west of me, I have Chilliwack 40-45 minutes east of me, Whistler and Seattle are 2.25 hours away, Kelowna is 3.5 hours away. Every type of activity I could want is at my finger. Why would I move? Why would I move to Boise Idaho to save an extra few K a year and be bored out of my mind with no friends and family or lifestyle? 

I'm not to judge how anyone spends their money or how much they make, but there are a lot of people (not you) who complain about how expensive living is but they eat out all the time and lease a car that the bi-weekly payment is 3/4 of their paycheck. 

Like I said in an earlier post, live within your means and if you can make it work, great. I can't afford to live in a Yaletown highrise or point Grey detached house. That's fine. I've found a great house in a great location that still gives me access. 

you can also downsize. My wife and i decided to do that early, and have no regrets other than not doing it sooner. A house takes up so much of your cash and time, and unless you really need it for how you want to live its not worth it imo. 

@whytelight I'd also take a long look at Squamish. Prices there are still reasonable (relatively) and its a fun town. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd also take a long look at Squamish. Prices there are still reasonable (relatively) and its a fun town.

My wife and I have always thought, “Maybe someday we’ll move back to BC.” Haven’t checked the prices of Squamish in years. This came up and I laughed. Roughly same size as the upstairs as my house, but this has no basement (so house is smaller). Property is smaller, and house is 33 years older than mine. 

A958DACB-5AB5-4673-8688-E2EE8F880D00.jpeg

Boof. Considering my mortgage is now $1100/month (was $800 but we did renos), I think I’m good.

Maybe in another life :( 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, drummer4now said:

Meh Vancouver is a hell hole anyway.. too much traffic and crappy apartment buildings disguised as high rise buildings.. 

Then you have the dangerous night life with fights breaking out in every corner.. 

Travel to any world class city like Sydney or New York and Vancouver pales in comparison. 

So glad I live on the island. 

Sounds like an exact description of Victoria. At least the downtown part.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

My wife and I have always thought, “Maybe someday we’ll move back to BC.” Haven’t checked the prices of Squamish in years. This came up and I laughed. Roughly same size as the upstairs as my house, but this has no basement (so house is smaller). Property is smaller, and house is 33 years older than mine. 

Boof. Considering my mortgage is now $1100/month (was $800 but we did renos), I think I’m good.

That looks more like  the Highlands. Used to be the ritzy part of town.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

or get creative. How much of your budget is in things you could trim? why not consider a condo? or a smaller house? or Pemberton? Or Osoyoos? or Van Isl?  there's nice little spots all over the province. If you actually need 4 bedrooms thats  a different story but if not there are options. 

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

I guess it’s Manitoba life for me until death.

How exciting :mellow:

One of the few areas where you can see your dog's butt running away to the east and his nose coming back from the west at the same time. :):shock:

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

or get creative. How much of your budget is in things you could trim? why not consider a condo? or a smaller house? or Pemberton? Or Osoyoos? or Van Isl?  there's nice little spots all over the province. If you actually need 4 bedrooms thats  a different story but if not there are options. 

We currently have 4 bedrooms and an office (office is as big as the bedroom, so I guess 5 bedrooms). Realistically, we could get away with 3 (kids would have to share a room when visitors come). 

That said, the spare bedroom in our basement we just renovated also doubles as the kids playroom. 

So yeah, condo life isn’t really an option. Once you get used to property size (half an acre), and love the yard work that comes with that, as well as the house, then it’s tough to downgrade. Especially when it’s ridiculously affordable. I also work from home, so working/living in a home that fits that is pretty key. 

I also like the idea of traveling and disposable income. We go out to BC at least once a year for 1-2 weeks. So I get the best of both. 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:04 PM, 6string said:

Remember the mantra leading up to the 2010 Winter Olympics, "World Class City".

Yup, so to become a world class city. We had to boot many of the hard working locals out of their own beloved city.

And many of the homeless at the time to northern communities 

3 hours ago, Monty said:

I guess it’s Manitoba life for me until death.

How exciting :mellow:

There’s much more places to live in this wonderful province than that little southWestern corner of B.C..... that makes up what? 1...2% of the geographical area... yet somehow think they’re a whole province.  

Where I live, $850,000 would get you a 6000 sq ft house on a lake or a smaller house but 1000 acres would come with it.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

We currently have 4 bedrooms and an office (office is as big as the bedroom, so I guess 5 bedrooms). Realistically, we could get away with 3 (kids would have to share a room when visitors come). 

That said, the spare bedroom in our basement we just renovated also doubles as the kids playroom. 

So yeah, condo life isn’t really an option. Once you get used to property size (half an acre), and love the yard work that comes with that, as well as the house, then it’s tough to downgrade. Especially when it’s ridiculously affordable. I also work from home, so working/living in a home that fits that is pretty key. 

I also like the idea of traveling and disposable income. We go out to BC at least once a year for 1-2 weeks. So I get the best of both. 

hey thats great if you have what you want and need. But yeah if you're looking for all that in BC it would be tough anywhere inside the lower mainland. 

But if you ever did want to make a switch to downtown Vancouver, you can save $1,000 after tax by ditching a car, switching from cable to streaming and going for cheapie cell phone plans. 

43 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

There’s much more places to live in this wonderful province than that little southWestern corner of B.C..... that makes up what? 1...2% of the geographical area... yet somehow think they’re a whole province.  

Where I live, $850,000 would get you a 6000 sq ft house on a lake or a smaller house but 1000 acres would come with it.

no, they don't think that. For some reason thats what a lot of rural people claim but its not true at all. 

9 hours ago, Monty said:

What a dump  lol

Archived